Marantz AV7701 Prepro Official Owner's thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Marantz AV7701 Prepro Official Owner's thread
rla's Avatar rla 09:55 AM 12-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

Get a new updated router and try netgear 900. I had same problem early this year.

Ugh... Okay thanks. I guess I'll have to live with it.

gferrell's Avatar gferrell 03:37 PM 12-26-2013
But here's the bad: Networking. In particular, my library of music. I have an extensive library of digital downloads and rips from CD running with J River Media Center 19, and they sound simply awful on the 7701. To give you an idea of how bad, MP3's streamed from Pandora sound substantially better than my 24/96 FLAC files. I'm hoping I simply have something set wrong, but at this point I have no idea what it might be.

Any suggestions?

Scott[/quote]

Maybe I missed it but how do you have it connected to the 7701?
tttocs's Avatar tttocs 05:17 PM 12-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferrell View Post

Maybe I missed it but how do you have it connected to the 7701?

Cat 5e cable into my router - 25'. The network connection seems solid - as noted, I'm streaming from Pandora with no issues and better SQ than from my own server on the internal network. I'm not getting dropouts or clicks, and the 7701 indicates, for example, 96k if the source file is 96/24 and so on. But the volume is substantially lower than every other source (including direct comparison with CDs the non-downloaded FLACs were originally ripped from), and the sound could best be described as muddy and lifeless. On the Onkyo, I couldn't distinguish between a FLAC and the CD I'd ripped it from in A/B comparisons. With the 7701, it's like the FLACs are being played inside a bucket.

The DNLA server is running JRiver, and the configuration is basically the same that I used for the old Onkyo. (I say basically, because I have updated JRiver in the interim.)

Scott
gferrell's Avatar gferrell 05:58 PM 12-26-2013
Sorry, Cant help you, I have mine running directly from my HTCP to my 7701 with an HDMI and it sounds great. I have about a TB of music. Is J River still considered the best? I had the trial version and was quite impressed with the sound quality. I just have not pulled the trigger on a license yet.
tttocs's Avatar tttocs 07:20 PM 12-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferrell View Post

Is J River still considered the best? I had the trial version and was quite impressed with the sound quality. I just have not pulled the trigger on a license yet.

I drastically under-utilize it, basically using it as a DLNA music server on the network, rather than as the backbone of a full HTPC. It's served that limited purpose well for me, though. I only popped for the upgrade from the version 15 that I'd been using to version 19 to be able to have WebGizmo for better control from an iPad. I'd been using the Android Gizmo app for control from my phone up to now. As far as I know, it's still the go-to software for a Windows-based system, but others may have more informed opinions.

Unfortunately, HDMI, USB or S/PDIF aren't options for my current setup as the server is physically remote from the AV rack. Unless and until I get around to building a dedicated HTPC with a rack-friendly form factor, the server needs to be network based, and I was pleased that the 7701 supported up to 24/192 via the network, as the Onkyo could only handle up to 24/96 and I wanted to at least try some higher res DLs to see if it made any difference. As things stand, even ripped CDs don't hold up to the originals, so it's currently a moot point.

Going to hard reset, start fresh and see what happens. Everything else has met or exceeded expectations.

Thanks for responding,

Scott
gferrell's Avatar gferrell 03:15 PM 12-27-2013
Good luck and let us know how it works out.
tttocs's Avatar tttocs 01:24 PM 12-28-2013
Fixed!

I took some of the FLACs in question and put them on a USB thumb drive and plugged that in directly as a test. They sounded great, but the odd thing I suddenly noticed was that they were being reported on-screen as FLACs (which was correct), whereas the same files being streamed from the server were reporting as WAVs. That was the aha! moment. The server was obviously doing a (very bad) conversion. Buried in the DLNA settings in JRiver was an audio mode parameter that was set as: "Specified output format only when necessary" that should have been set to "Original". At some point in my setup after upgrading JRiver, this got set improperly.

All is now well and I'm now an almost completely happy new user. I might quibble over a few UI things, but I now have absolutely no complaints when it comes to the quality of audio I'm getting. As noted in my original post, I'm especially please to have Audyssey working up to its billing. Never was happy with it on the Onkyo, using it somewhat reluctantly for most movie watching but shutting it off for 2-channel music. With the 7701, it stays on for movies (with the normal curve selected) AND music, typically changing to the flat curve.

Thanks for listening while I worked this out,

Scott
blueskies758's Avatar blueskies758 11:41 PM 01-01-2014
Hey all -

just picked up an AV 7701 and was reading that for best video performance from Home Theater Hi Fi review to turn off the video scaling (due to a couple video test failures)

Is this done by turn i/p scaler to "off"?
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 07:34 AM 01-02-2014
Yes. But test it both ways to determine which you prefer.
blueskies758's Avatar blueskies758 07:09 PM 01-02-2014
^ thanks jd - will do
jslaw81's Avatar jslaw81 03:43 AM 01-05-2014
Can you bi-amp your front speakers with the av7701? I've looked in the manual and it doesn't mention anything. I've also looked through the menus. I appreciate any help.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 03:50 AM 01-05-2014
You can in the truest sense in that you could pass the FL/FR pre-outs to a splitter with each passed to a separate "active" crossover device which in turn is each connected to an external amp. It is only a selectable feature on an AVR when using the on board amps (eg. SR7007).
jslaw81's Avatar jslaw81 04:08 AM 01-05-2014
That stinks. I want to biamp my martin logan spire's since I have a 7 channel amp and only a 5.1 system. I had a mcintosh mx121 briefly and it had the option. But I know the GUI on that was based on the av7005. I guess maybe biamping wouldn't really gain me much anyway.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 04:24 AM 01-05-2014
Correct. The "Amp Assign" feature on the AV7005 was not carried forward to either the AV7701 or AV8801. Also correct in that even if it were available, without using "active" crossovers, of no real benefit.
pion2's Avatar pion2 07:52 AM 01-08-2014

With center and surround speakers set to SMALL and the subwoofer set to NONE, do the low frequencies below the crossover points (set individually for each SMALL speaker) get redirected to the FRONT LR (stereo) speakers, or are these low frequencies simply lost? The Owner's manual does not appear to answer this basic question, so would be grateful for the answer.

jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 05:43 PM 01-08-2014
In the instance where there is no sub detected the FL/FR speakers will default to LARGE and the lower frequencies below the crossovers of the other speakers set to SMALL will indeed pass to the FL/FR speakers.
pion2's Avatar pion2 05:55 PM 01-08-2014

Thank you!

jbeemon's Avatar jbeemon 07:59 PM 01-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaw81 View Post

That stinks. I want to biamp my martin logan spire's since I have a 7 channel amp and only a 5.1 system. I had a mcintosh mx121 briefly and it had the option. But I know the GUI on that was based on the av7005. I guess maybe biamping wouldn't really gain me much anyway.

Your speakers are already biamped. You have an active woofer system using a 200 watt amp. Your 7 channel amp is only driving the electrostatic panel, while the woofer amplifier derives the signal from the speaker inputs on the back and drives the woofer directly. The speakers are set up for biamping with speaker connections for the elec. panel and the woofer section, connected with straps. But there's really no point. You cannot bypass the internal crossover, and the woofer will be driven by the internal amp no matter what kind of signal the woofer connections get. Here's a quote directly from the owners manual: "The Spire’s PoweredForce™ woofer is internally powered. Because of this, we do not recommend either active or passive bi-amplification." Those look like amazing speakers. I have always loved the sound of electrostatic, owning a pair of Acoustat Spectra 11s. I think my Marantz AV7701 is a fine preamp, and I enjoy the sound and ease of use everyday. Jim
dminches's Avatar dminches 06:11 AM 01-15-2014
Does the 7701 pass an HDMI signal through if the unit is off? I want run all my video sources through it, but sometimes I just want to listen via my TV speakers. If the input is set to my main DVR before I power the 7701 down, will it pass that signal when I turn my TV on next and keep the 7701 in standby?
jbeemon's Avatar jbeemon 07:58 PM 01-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

Does the 7701 pass an HDMI signal through if the unit is off? I want run all my video sources through it, but sometimes I just want to listen via my TV speakers. If the input is set to my main DVR before I power the 7701 down, will it pass that signal when I turn my TV on next and keep the 7701 in standby?

Yes, it will. Go to Setup>Video>HDMI Setup>Standby Source> and choose which source you want passed on while in standby. Now, when you hit the power button and the unit goes into standby, the signal from your chosen source will be passed through to the television. Jim
jbeemon's Avatar jbeemon 08:00 PM 01-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeemon View Post

Yes, it will. Go to Setup>Video>HDMI Setup>Standby Source> and choose which source you want passed on while in standby. Now, when you hit the power button and the unit goes into standby, the signal from your chosen source will be passed through to the television. I forgot to mention, you have to have HDMI Contro set to "On". Jim

dminches's Avatar dminches 08:26 PM 01-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeemon View Post

Yes, it will. Go to Setup>Video>HDMI Setup>Standby Source> and choose which source you want passed on while in standby. Now, when you hit the power button and the unit goes into standby, the signal from your chosen source will be passed through to the television. Jim

Thank you. That worked.
hifibuyguy's Avatar hifibuyguy 08:50 PM 01-18-2014
Does anyone have experience with using the AV7701 with powered monitors? I have a pair of Emotiva Stealth 8's with Adam monitors for sides and rears, currently using a Sunfire Theater Grand IV but I'm upgrading to a front projection and would love the added connivence of the dual HDMI outs, and just time for a pre/pro upgrade. All equipment is housed in a separate room and I'm running XLR's to all speakers. I just want to make sure they play well together.

Thanks
gferrell's Avatar gferrell 04:45 PM 01-19-2014
I can't speak from experience but I would not think that would be a problem.
Cain's Avatar Cain 04:55 AM 01-24-2014
I'm taking a long look at this pre/pro. Are you folks happy with yours?

Things you line, things you wish it had or did?

How dies it sound? I'll be movies 75%. Stereo audio 25%.

Connected to an Oppo 105D.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 05:04 AM 01-24-2014
If you don't need the XLR connections, you may want to consider the SR7008 instead which includes Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Sub EQ HT (dual subs), and can do HDMI audio to Zone 2.
Cain's Avatar Cain 08:05 PM 01-24-2014
Thank you for the reply. I already have powered speakers and separate amps for my subs and 4 surround speakers, so I don't need a receiver, I'm only interested in a ore/ pro.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 08:19 PM 01-24-2014
If you're not using XLR outputs, the SR7008 has a set of 11.2 pre-outs for your powered speakers. If you plan on using Audyssey, the XT32 is a better upgrade than the lower XT on the 7701, not to mention it can set the level and distance of dual subs whereas the 7701 can only treat the dual sub pre-outs as a single sub connection. If budget is the concern .. go with the lower priced 7701. For better audio fidelity .. go with the 7008.
gferrell's Avatar gferrell 02:21 PM 01-26-2014
I had my first problem with the AV7701. The 2 fronts would drop out intermittently or not come on at all. I thought it was an HDMI signal problem related to the latest software I happened to download a few weeks ago. I could unplug the an HDMI and plug it back in and the fronts would come on. Well it kept getting worse and I eliminated the HDMI signal by only having one component plugged in. So I decided to reseat the HDMI board and everything has been fine since. Thought I would post this in case it happens to someone else.
bezzers's Avatar bezzers 06:45 AM 01-27-2014
I wonder if anyone has any idea about some sound and video problems I am having.

I recently switched out my pre-amp for a Marantz AV7701 and am now having issues with my Roku 3. I can watch 720p properly but get no sound. Or, when I switch the resolution to 1080p, I end up with a weird squashed picture which is 720x483, but I do get sound. The Roku 3 works fine in a different room through another receiver (Denon) to a Samsung TV. Every other input to the Marantz works perfectly including Tivo and Apple TV. I seems to be an odd incompatibility or handshaking issue. I has tried switching inputs on the pre-amp and swapping HDMI cables. I have tried turning things off and on in various combinations and even factory resetting the Roku.

The basic setup is Roku 3 -> Marantz AV7701 -> Atlone Baluns (HDTX, HDRX) -> Digital Projection Titan 250HD. All are 1080P compatible.

Any thoughts very much appreciated.
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop