Marantz AV7701 Prepro Official Owner's thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #721 of 738 Old 08-31-2014, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[QUOTE=jdsmoothie;23116076]USB Firmware Updates – North American Marantz AV7701 units only

If you are having difficulty loading the latest firmware to your AV7701, please PM me with "AV7701" in the subject line after reading and agreeing with the disclaimer noted below and I will provide the update file. This service is no longer available.

So I assume we have no way of loading the firmware from the USB. My AV7701 suddenly restarted and does not stop every 5 seconds. I have done a master reset, loaded old settins, comes back. I need to unplug to get even get a chance to use the master reset. Let sit overnight, was able to reset, set all settting manually, ran xt setup. So 45 minutes no issues, then BANG restarting, so I reset again and just let the HD cable run. Came back two hours later, and the setup screen is displayed? I would like to flash it before I box it up and send it back as if it was a hardware failure it would never come back?? Please let me know if anyone has it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 738 Old 08-31-2014, 10:31 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
^^
Correct. No longer an available option.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #723 of 738 Old 08-31-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Correct. No longer an available option.
So guess it get to send United Radio.... I bought this in March so I wonder if I should wait and see if Marantz will give me a AV7702?
post #724 of 738 Old 08-31-2014, 10:46 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The unit must be in repair for at least 30 days or more to be offered a refurb and a 7702 would only be offered if there were no 7701 refurbs available of which there are likely plenty especially as the unit can still be purchased new at some sites.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #725 of 738 Old 08-31-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
^^
The unit must be in repair for at least 30 days or more to be offered a refurb and a 7702 would only be offered if there were no 7701 refurbs available of which there are likely plenty especially as the unit can still be purchased new at some sites.
Thanks, did some more testing, this thing is toast. Power was off all night, turned on, just keeps turning on and off. Boxing it up. Thanks for your help
post #726 of 738 Old 10-11-2014, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Static noise through SR channel

Hi,

I have decided to send my AV7701 away for repairs. I am fairly certain of what's going on but I would also like to hear your opinion. Recently, the SR channel has begun producing intermittent static noise (like radio interference); sometimes loud, sometimes quieter.
I have run the following tests:
• I have connected the balanced SR out to the FR and SL inputs of my MM8055. They all begun producing the static noise without that being the case before I had switched the connections around.
• I connected the unbalanced SR out to the FR: it produced the static noise again.
So, I have concluded that the problem is a faulty pre-amp on the SR channel. The tests showed that the problem is inside the pre-pro and not in the rest of the cabling/electronics chain.
Do you agree?
post #727 of 738 Old 10-11-2014, 06:06 AM
585-645-1006

^^
All sources?

post #728 of 738 Old 10-11-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
^^
All sources?
Yes. During the noise, I switched through all available sources on the pre-pro (even tuner) and it didn't even produce a glitch at the moment of switching.

The odd thing is that the noise is intermittent. At the moment I can't hear anything and a few minutes ago it kicked in. I think it may a sign of a failing pre-amp as opposed to a failed one (I can clearly hear the normal sound through that channel).
post #729 of 738 Old 10-11-2014, 06:45 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yup. Sounds like time for repair.

post #730 of 738 Old 10-11-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
how old is the pre/pro? Do you have it close to the floor?

Wouldn't be surprised of dust was a factor, occasionally hitting it with an air duster can help prolong the life of the unit but if dust does build up it retains excess heat and causes all sorts of chaos.
post #731 of 738 Old 10-11-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchOven88 View Post
how old is the pre/pro? Do you have it close to the floor?

Wouldn't be surprised of dust was a factor, occasionally hitting it with an air duster can help prolong the life of the unit but if dust does build up it retains excess heat and causes all sorts of chaos.
I bought the unit new in January 2013.

The pre-pro is in a TV cabinet, sitting on a shelf below the TV and above the power amp. I occasionally dust the top, and although there is dust where we live it is nowhere near as dusty as in other places I have lived. I can't say it is not due to dust, but if that's the case then I think they have made it far too sensitive for me. I have also made a large hole on the back of the TV cabinet to allow for a better air flow.

Anyway, I still have a few months left on the 2-year warranty, so I will try to have it fixed soon. The question is whether I can/I should insist they check all the channels. I am worried that this may happen to the rest of the channels.
post #732 of 738 Old 10-11-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Is the front open, or does it have doors? If you have only a hole with no fans, then the hot air buildup from both the amp and the pre/pro are going to make it quite warm. Heat is the destroyer of electronics.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #733 of 738 Old 10-11-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Is the front open, or does it have doors? If you have only a hole with no fans, then the hot air buildup from both the amp and the pre/pro are going to make it quite warm. Heat is the destroyer of electronics.
No, there are no doors at the front. I've cut a big hole through the backing of the furniture because I didn't trust that just the open front would be enough. But you are right, it is not ideal. However, every time I've touched the top surface of the pre-pro it felt mildly warm, not hot at all. (for comparison, the temperature of my laptop's surface can rise up to 70–80ºC sometimes; the pre-pro's top stays around 40ºC at most.)

(By the way, it's been making the static noise almost continuously for the past 30 minutes. I think it's going.)

I forgot to mention that I first heard this noise soon after I had bought the unit, 1.5 years ago, but it did not last and was much quieter. It may still have been there all the time, but until now it must have been very sparse. Back then I thought it was interference and ignored it. It may have been faulty from the very beginning.
post #734 of 738 Old 10-11-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Marantz specs usually call for clearance of a few inches but if it's in a cabinet sometimes that's still not enough to get the airflow running over the heat dissipation system at this point you should still send it in because it won't heal on its own and definitely see if they can look at the remaining channels per your earlier point
post #735 of 738 Old 10-11-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoutsos View Post
I bought the unit new in January 2013.

The pre-pro is in a TV cabinet, sitting on a shelf below the TV and above the power amp. I occasionally dust the top, and although there is dust where we live it is nowhere near as dusty as in other places I have lived. I can't say it is not due to dust, but if that's the case then I think they have made it far too sensitive for me. I have also made a large hole on the back of the TV cabinet to allow for a better air flow.

Anyway, I still have a few months left on the 2-year warranty, so I will try to have it fixed soon. The question is whether I can/I should insist they check all the channels. I am worried that this may happen to the rest of the channels.
The AV7701 comes with a 3 year warranty.
post #736 of 738 Old 10-11-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN View Post
The AV7701 comes with a 3 year warranty.
Well, I actually bought it from an electronics store here in Germany, but I am not sure they are authorised Marantz dealers (where one gets 3 years). In any case, my receipt says 2 years.
post #737 of 738 Old 10-14-2014, 11:14 AM

Does anyone know if the optical/coax inputs on the 8801 or 7701 will support 24/192?
post #738 of 738 Old 10-14-2014, 12:44 PM

Another question about this unit. How well does it do stream files from a Server. I see I can stream from a DLNA server. Do you have to browser the content onscreen, or can you also use the app to browser without having to turn the display on?

Thanks again,
Scott
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page