Marantz AV7701 Prepro Official Owner's thread - Page 25 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #721 of 897 Old 08-31-2014, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[QUOTE=jdsmoothie;23116076]USB Firmware Updates – North American Marantz AV7701 units only

If you are having difficulty loading the latest firmware to your AV7701, please PM me with "AV7701" in the subject line after reading and agreeing with the disclaimer noted below and I will provide the update file. This service is no longer available.

So I assume we have no way of loading the firmware from the USB. My AV7701 suddenly restarted and does not stop every 5 seconds. I have done a master reset, loaded old settins, comes back. I need to unplug to get even get a chance to use the master reset. Let sit overnight, was able to reset, set all settting manually, ran xt setup. So 45 minutes no issues, then BANG restarting, so I reset again and just let the HD cable run. Came back two hours later, and the setup screen is displayed? I would like to flash it before I box it up and send it back as if it was a hardware failure it would never come back?? Please let me know if anyone has it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 897 Old 08-31-2014, 10:31 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked: 2189
^^
Correct. No longer an available option.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #723 of 897 Old 08-31-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Correct. No longer an available option.
So guess it get to send United Radio.... I bought this in March so I wonder if I should wait and see if Marantz will give me a AV7702?
post #724 of 897 Old 08-31-2014, 10:46 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The unit must be in repair for at least 30 days or more to be offered a refurb and a 7702 would only be offered if there were no 7701 refurbs available of which there are likely plenty especially as the unit can still be purchased new at some sites.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #725 of 897 Old 08-31-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
^^
The unit must be in repair for at least 30 days or more to be offered a refurb and a 7702 would only be offered if there were no 7701 refurbs available of which there are likely plenty especially as the unit can still be purchased new at some sites.
Thanks, did some more testing, this thing is toast. Power was off all night, turned on, just keeps turning on and off. Boxing it up. Thanks for your help
post #726 of 897 Old 10-11-2014, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Static noise through SR channel

Hi,

I have decided to send my AV7701 away for repairs. I am fairly certain of what's going on but I would also like to hear your opinion. Recently, the SR channel has begun producing intermittent static noise (like radio interference); sometimes loud, sometimes quieter.
I have run the following tests:
• I have connected the balanced SR out to the FR and SL inputs of my MM8055. They all begun producing the static noise without that being the case before I had switched the connections around.
• I connected the unbalanced SR out to the FR: it produced the static noise again.
So, I have concluded that the problem is a faulty pre-amp on the SR channel. The tests showed that the problem is inside the pre-pro and not in the rest of the cabling/electronics chain.
Do you agree?
post #727 of 897 Old 10-11-2014, 06:06 AM
585-645-1006

^^
All sources?

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #728 of 897 Old 10-11-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
^^
All sources?
Yes. During the noise, I switched through all available sources on the pre-pro (even tuner) and it didn't even produce a glitch at the moment of switching.

The odd thing is that the noise is intermittent. At the moment I can't hear anything and a few minutes ago it kicked in. I think it may a sign of a failing pre-amp as opposed to a failed one (I can clearly hear the normal sound through that channel).
post #729 of 897 Old 10-11-2014, 06:45 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yup. Sounds like time for repair.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #730 of 897 Old 10-11-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
how old is the pre/pro? Do you have it close to the floor?

Wouldn't be surprised of dust was a factor, occasionally hitting it with an air duster can help prolong the life of the unit but if dust does build up it retains excess heat and causes all sorts of chaos.
post #731 of 897 Old 10-11-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchOven88 View Post
how old is the pre/pro? Do you have it close to the floor?

Wouldn't be surprised of dust was a factor, occasionally hitting it with an air duster can help prolong the life of the unit but if dust does build up it retains excess heat and causes all sorts of chaos.
I bought the unit new in January 2013.

The pre-pro is in a TV cabinet, sitting on a shelf below the TV and above the power amp. I occasionally dust the top, and although there is dust where we live it is nowhere near as dusty as in other places I have lived. I can't say it is not due to dust, but if that's the case then I think they have made it far too sensitive for me. I have also made a large hole on the back of the TV cabinet to allow for a better air flow.

Anyway, I still have a few months left on the 2-year warranty, so I will try to have it fixed soon. The question is whether I can/I should insist they check all the channels. I am worried that this may happen to the rest of the channels.
post #732 of 897 Old 10-11-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Is the front open, or does it have doors? If you have only a hole with no fans, then the hot air buildup from both the amp and the pre/pro are going to make it quite warm. Heat is the destroyer of electronics.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #733 of 897 Old 10-11-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Is the front open, or does it have doors? If you have only a hole with no fans, then the hot air buildup from both the amp and the pre/pro are going to make it quite warm. Heat is the destroyer of electronics.
No, there are no doors at the front. I've cut a big hole through the backing of the furniture because I didn't trust that just the open front would be enough. But you are right, it is not ideal. However, every time I've touched the top surface of the pre-pro it felt mildly warm, not hot at all. (for comparison, the temperature of my laptop's surface can rise up to 70–80ºC sometimes; the pre-pro's top stays around 40ºC at most.)

(By the way, it's been making the static noise almost continuously for the past 30 minutes. I think it's going.)

I forgot to mention that I first heard this noise soon after I had bought the unit, 1.5 years ago, but it did not last and was much quieter. It may still have been there all the time, but until now it must have been very sparse. Back then I thought it was interference and ignored it. It may have been faulty from the very beginning.
post #734 of 897 Old 10-11-2014, 11:04 AM

Marantz specs usually call for clearance of a few inches but if it's in a cabinet sometimes that's still not enough to get the airflow running over the heat dissipation system at this point you should still send it in because it won't heal on its own and definitely see if they can look at the remaining channels per your earlier point
post #735 of 897 Old 10-11-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoutsos View Post
I bought the unit new in January 2013.

The pre-pro is in a TV cabinet, sitting on a shelf below the TV and above the power amp. I occasionally dust the top, and although there is dust where we live it is nowhere near as dusty as in other places I have lived. I can't say it is not due to dust, but if that's the case then I think they have made it far too sensitive for me. I have also made a large hole on the back of the TV cabinet to allow for a better air flow.

Anyway, I still have a few months left on the 2-year warranty, so I will try to have it fixed soon. The question is whether I can/I should insist they check all the channels. I am worried that this may happen to the rest of the channels.
The AV7701 comes with a 3 year warranty.
post #736 of 897 Old 10-11-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN View Post
The AV7701 comes with a 3 year warranty.
Well, I actually bought it from an electronics store here in Germany, but I am not sure they are authorised Marantz dealers (where one gets 3 years). In any case, my receipt says 2 years.
post #737 of 897 Old 10-14-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know if the optical/coax inputs on the 8801 or 7701 will support 24/192?
post #738 of 897 Old 10-14-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another question about this unit. How well does it do stream files from a Server. I see I can stream from a DLNA server. Do you have to browser the content onscreen, or can you also use the app to browser without having to turn the display on?

Thanks again,
Scott
post #739 of 897 Old 10-26-2014, 04:56 AM

I have a couple of questions about my power amp (Marantz MM8077), while it is still covered by the warranty. I have recently sent my prepro (Marantz AV7701) for service after it developed some problems and I wanted to check if the MM8077 is behaving normally.

So,

– Is it normal that every time I switch the amp on, I have to wait for about a second before it switches on (with a 'hard click' sound)?
– Is it normal that during the time I am waiting for the amp to switch on the red light indicator below "PROTECT" flashes?

I should say that those two things have been the same since I bought the amp (new) and that I have not had any problems with the sound or anything else. I just want to make sure this is not pointing to a future problem, in which case I had better fix it soon before the warranty expires.

Thanks,
Aris.
post #740 of 897 Old 10-26-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Those states are normal for Marantz amps. It's waiting for power supply and preamp output voltages to stabilize before it connects the amps to the speaker terminals -- that's the relay click you're hearing. The delay is to prevent potentially dangerous turn-on transients from being amplified and sent to the speakers. The amp's RCA control signal input should be connected to the pre/pro's RCA control signal output, and discrete on and off IR remote commands should be used rather than a toggle on/off command in order to ensure that both pre/pro and amp turn on and off simultaneously.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #741 of 897 Old 10-26-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoutsos View Post
I have a couple of questions about my power amp (Marantz MM8077), while it is still covered by the warranty. I have recently sent my prepro (Marantz AV7701) for service after it developed some problems and I wanted to check if the MM8077 is behaving normally.

So,

– Is it normal that every time I switch the amp on, I have to wait for about a second before it switches on (with a 'hard click' sound)?
– Is it normal that during the time I am waiting for the amp to switch on the red light indicator below "PROTECT" flashes?

I should say that those two things have been the same since I bought the amp (new) and that I have not had any problems with the sound or anything else. I just want to make sure this is not pointing to a future problem, in which case I had better fix it soon before the warranty expires.

Thanks,
Aris.
Yes ^^. Per the response we have the same startup sequence on our system as well. Martin Logan has a similar startup process as well for contrast with regards to amplified subs. Let us know what they say regarding what's wrong with the pre/pro

AV7701
MM7055
B&W CM9 Fronts
B&W CM5 Rears
B&W CMC1 Center
Martin Logan BalancedForce 210 Sub

Oppo 103D
post #742 of 897 Old 10-26-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacarmic View Post
Another question about this unit. How well does it do stream files from a Server. I see I can stream from a DLNA server. Do you have to browser the content onscreen, or can you also use the app to browser without having to turn the display on?

Thanks again,
Scott
App supports browsing and file selection

AV7701
MM7055
B&W CM9 Fronts
B&W CM5 Rears
B&W CMC1 Center
Martin Logan BalancedForce 210 Sub

Oppo 103D
post #743 of 897 Old 10-26-2014, 08:03 AM

Thanks for your replies. I will let you know of their diagnosis as soon as I get it back, hopefully this week.

As a side note, I have decided to remove the entire hardboard backing of my TV cabinet, in the hope that my equipment is better ventilated (this had some impact on the lateral stability of the unit but should still hold – rated for 100kg, with TV+amps being ~92kg but with the latter sitting at the bottom). I have felt the top surfaces of both the pre/pro and amp several times and they always felt only moderately warm, with the amp being warmer. When I was placing them on the their shelves, on top of each other, I decided to give more clearance to the amp (~5") and much less to the pre/pro (2.2"). The sides of both units have only 0.6" clearance from the furniture. I have noticed that the MM8077 has a vent on one side, so I decided to shift it more towards the other side. Anyway, my plan was to measure the temperature of the air above the units, but I was considering installing a fan at the back of the cabinet to improve the air circulation. Do you think it is necessary? If I decided to upgrade to the AV88xx model, would it run significantly hotter than the AV7701? Would I then need to have fans in place?

Thanks,
Aris.
post #744 of 897 Old 10-28-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
upgrade time

My NAD T175 just (literally) died - been buggy for a while, now the HDMI fails handshake. Frustrated with NAD (doesn't look like their QC has improved much since the T175) and going back to Marantz. A very basic question that searching doesn't give a clear answer to - probably bad searchs and laziness on my part. Can the 7701 process _and_ pass through HDMI audio at the same time? In other words, I want to hear it on the stereo and connected TV at the same time with just the HDMI out from the 7701. Not that I'd actually listen to both, but this keeps it simple and spouse friendly (and I don't always want "big noise"). Yes, I know all about the evils of HDCP, but with the common availability of HDMI splitters and switchers, it seems like this should be a standard feature on processors and receivers these days...
post #745 of 897 Old 10-28-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pubare View Post
My NAD T175 just (literally) died - been buggy for a while, now the HDMI fails handshake. Frustrated with NAD (doesn't look like their QC has improved much since the T175) and going back to Marantz. A very basic question that searching doesn't give a clear answer to - probably bad searchs and laziness on my part. Can the 7701 process _and_ pass through HDMI audio at the same time? In other words, I want to hear it on the stereo and connected TV at the same time with just the HDMI out from the 7701. Not that I'd actually listen to both, but this keeps it simple and spouse friendly (and I don't always want "big noise"). Yes, I know all about the evils of HDCP, but with the common availability of HDMI splitters and switchers, it seems like this should be a standard feature on processors and receivers these days...
With the processor turned off, yes, it will pass audio and video through to the tv. When the processor is turned on, however, I don't believe there is a way to simultaneously pass audio to the tv and to the amplifier at the same time, and I'm not quite sure why one would want to as well. I could be wrong, but when I had my 7701 hooked up I never tried to do both at the same time.
post #746 of 897 Old 10-28-2014, 06:42 PM

I'd say it also has something to do with your TV, the AV7701 will pass an audio signal (know this because if the TV doesn't switch to external speakers sound emits from TV) to the TV and the TV plays it. My system is set up with audio return so the TV when switched to external speakers disconnects the built in speakers and when on internal speakers the receiver goes quiet.
post #747 of 897 Old 10-28-2014, 07:14 PM

I would want to for pure convenience - most of our video watching is using only the TV speakers, because we typically just don't _care_ that much about the audio for video sources. If we're watching a movie, we're watching a movie, not listening to special effects. On those occasions when we do want "big noise" cinematic audio for a movie, just turn on the power amp and turn down the TV volume - no toggling settings / sources / etc. needed. With the T175 the best I could do for this is "pass through" the HDMI audio and use the Digital Audio out on the components as the audio source on the pre - obviously, using SPDIF full-bandwidth audio was not available watching movies, but for us not a big deal. I'm just tired of the "extra setup" and cables needed for this though, who doesn't like simpler?

If the pre is turned off, how does it know which source to pass through? I use my pre as a "switcher" for all sources, with only its out connected to the TV.
My understanding of ARC (which may be incorrect / incomplete) was that I would have to use the _TV_ as the switcher (coomponents connected to it) for this result. Please keep in mind, I have not really kept up with HDMI and manufacturer implemented "work arounds" for HDCP (yes, I know ARC is an HDMI standard) since I bought the T175 5 - 6 years ago.
post #748 of 897 Old 10-28-2014, 07:19 PM

So on the pass through the receiver your referring to will pass through the last known source unless you set the receiver to automatically switch to the cable box input on power off (this is quite easy through the settings menu). I do the same for my wife. Using the hdmi control, if I have the TV on and I turn on the receiver, the audio switches to the receiver and no audio comes from the TV any more. Wen I turn the receiver off, it passes the video through and the TV takes the signal again and audio is emitted from the TV once again.
post #749 of 897 Old 10-31-2014, 08:51 PM

Liked: 0
Angry AV7701 with Harmony One and Zone2 with No Audio Out

Okay guys, I am tired of looking around and need some help.

1st thing..... Does the Zone2 out put push out sound to external speakers using the Zone2 (RCA out) to an AMP. For the life of me I cannot get it to work. I updated the firmware and nothing. I looked in the guide and said it is not possible, is that right for a nice piece of equipment like this? I don't want to believe it but maybe I have to. I have an Apple TV plugged into it and I can only use the TV speakers to listen to the sound. The main reason I bought this thing was specifically for the Zone2 out with Audio out too. I wanted this to be my "main hub," to disturb audio and video to 2 separate area's and speakers.

2nd thing.... I have a harmony one remote and the remote is NOT learning the ZoneSelect button on the Marantz Remote. I've done everything in my power and reading the support tool from Logitech which simply states, press and hold. I've held it now for 45 seconds and the remote is STILL not learning the remote command from the Marantz remote, is this also true too?

I very much appreciate any input.

PS
I am able to listen to the speakers I do have plugged in, for Zone2 IF I use the "Network," table from Airplay on the Apple TV however what happens is the sound is blaring and cannot be controlled. If there is a work around for this, I am all ears. Keep in mind I don't want to go this route because I have a blu-ray and game system plugged in and they ARE NOT Airplay compatible devices.

post #750 of 897 Old 10-31-2014, 08:53 PM

Liked: 0
Quick edit.... I am talking about the Zone2 HDMI out and Zone2 RCA out, are they not in sync? I mean logically I think they would be but the manual says something completely different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page