Marantz AV7701 Prepro Official Owner's thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #811 of 955 Old 01-18-2015, 08:17 AM
T0S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So the best I can tell there is no way to use an analog video out to a TV if one is using HDMI inputs. I just want to display the menu on an old CRT TV without having to turn on the projector which is the only HDMI output device. I see there is an analog composite video out but according to the table in the instructions, it won't display the menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 955 Old 01-18-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0S View Post
So the best I can tell there is no way to use an analog video out to a TV if one is using HDMI inputs. I just want to display the menu on an old CRT TV without having to turn on the projector which is the only HDMI output device. I see there is an analog composite video out but according to the table in the instructions, it won't display the menu.
Unfortunately, that's just the way it is with modern A/V equipment. Analog support is being minimized or dropped in everything You need to consider getting a cheap flat-panel TV with HDMI inputs. Ideally it should be one with the same resolution as your projector, since the HDMI video output gets set to be compatible with the least-capable HDMI display device.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #813 of 955 Old 01-19-2015, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So I did a Audyssey calibration with a boom mic stand and I am really happy with the results. Watched a few movies yesterday and I was real pleased with the sound. Still struggling with music though from my OPPO 95 Blu-ray. Any suggestions on settings for the 7701? Is there a way to get the settings for music to be separate from Movies?

Klipsch RF-7 II, RC64 II, RS62 II
Klipsch R-115SW & Velodyne FSR-15 SW
McIntosh MC205 Amplifier (200W plus X5)
McIntosh MX151 A/V Control Center
Sony KDL-60NX810 TV
OPPO BDP-95 Blu-Ray
post #814 of 955 Old 01-19-2015, 07:12 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 4662 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
^^
2 ways ....

(1) Component Video source - Video Source setting - p. 125 Owner's manual, with audio source playing select video source connected with component video cables
(2) HDMI video source - set INPUT MODE (p. 124) to either "Digital", "Analog", or "7.1CH IN" of audio source with same source name as is being used for the HDMI source

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective? Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times.
post #815 of 955 Old 01-21-2015, 06:39 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
2 ways ....

(1) Component Video source - Video Source setting - p. 125 Owner's manual, with audio source playing select video source connected with component video cables
(2) HDMI video source - set INPUT MODE (p. 124) to either "Digital", "Analog", or "7.1CH IN" of audio source with same source name as is being used for the HDMI source
I ran an optical connection from my OPPO Blu-ray to optical in for CD and configured it to digital. The good news is the settings for that CD source now are saved (Audyssey off) and when I switch the source to Blu-Ray for movies the Audyssey settings are on! Don't know if it is just me but CDs seem to sound better without Audyssey off running Dolby Pro Logic Surround Music. I miss the simple days of my first amplifier a late-50's era HH Scott 299A amp that I used when I was about 10 years old:

http://hhscott.com/_images/200%20-%2.../Scott_299.jpg

Klipsch RF-7 II, RC64 II, RS62 II
Klipsch R-115SW & Velodyne FSR-15 SW
McIntosh MC205 Amplifier (200W plus X5)
McIntosh MX151 A/V Control Center
Sony KDL-60NX810 TV
OPPO BDP-95 Blu-Ray

Last edited by rblankster; 01-21-2015 at 08:37 AM.
post #816 of 955 Old 01-31-2015, 12:32 AM
T0S

Is anyone playing hi res ALAC files using an iPhone 6? According to the literature it should be able to play 96kz/24bit. But when I do that using the iPod/usb connection, the display only shows as 'PCM'.

On the other hand using a usb stick, it shows as 96khz FLAC. I am conepcerned that using th iPhone through the Lightning connector is not working s it should.
post #817 of 955 Old 02-02-2015, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Really dissapointed in my Marantz 7701 Pre/Pro and I was told I should post this here.

March of last year I bought a Marantz AV7701, due to some remodel projects I finally just got my home theater up, wired, and running and I just got off the phone with Marantz but they didnt seem to have a solution to the problem Im experiencing.

Aparantly, this pre/pro requires that you enter into the menu (no big deal), go to manual settings, and run a test tone in order to adjust the level of any given channel during movie playback (a HUGE deal).

Ive never had a receiver or pre/pro that wouldnt let you adjust the channel levels during movie playback silently, as in, not running the test tone. Every movie is mixed differently, and when watching movies its not a big deal to jump in the menu and adjust the levels of the channels while the movie still plays... but to have to go in, start a test tone adjust the channels, go out to the movie to see if its adjusted properly and then go back in and do it all over again, several times until you get it right... WHILE the movie plays is a deal breaker.

Unfortunately I bought it a year ago, so now looks like I need to sell it and buy something else. If anyone has this pre/pro and knows a way to adjust the channel levels during playback without running a test tone PLEASE let me know. Otherwise, Im gonna need to buy a new pre/pro even though this one is brand new and I cant return it. Channel levels are not a set it and forget it thing, every movie is mixed differently and it often takes me two or three attempts at adjusting the levels in the beginning stages of a movie before I have it all ironed out. Its really, really disrupting to have to run a d### test tone to do that. Common Marantz

My system is as follows:

Marantz AV7701
Emotiva XPA-5
XLR connects
Sonus Faber Venere 3.0
+ matching surrounds and center channel
Dual SVS SB13 ultras
post #818 of 955 Old 02-07-2015, 10:27 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZZZ View Post
Really dissapointed in my Marantz 7701 Pre/Pro and I was told I should post this here.

March of last year I bought a Marantz AV7701, due to some remodel projects I finally just got my home theater up, wired, and running and I just got off the phone with Marantz but they didnt seem to have a solution to the problem Im experiencing.

Aparantly, this pre/pro requires that you enter into the menu (no big deal), go to manual settings, and run a test tone in order to adjust the level of any given channel during movie playback (a HUGE deal).

Ive never had a receiver or pre/pro that wouldnt let you adjust the channel levels during movie playback silently, as in, not running the test tone. Every movie is mixed differently, and when watching movies its not a big deal to jump in the menu and adjust the levels of the channels while the movie still plays... but to have to go in, start a test tone adjust the channels, go out to the movie to see if its adjusted properly and then go back in and do it all over again, several times until you get it right... WHILE the movie plays is a deal breaker.

Unfortunately I bought it a year ago, so now looks like I need to sell it and buy something else. If anyone has this pre/pro and knows a way to adjust the channel levels during playback without running a test tone PLEASE let me know. Otherwise, Im gonna need to buy a new pre/pro even though this one is brand new and I cant return it. Channel levels are not a set it and forget it thing, every movie is mixed differently and it often takes me two or three attempts at adjusting the levels in the beginning stages of a movie before I have it all ironed out. Its really, really disrupting to have to run a d### test tone to do that. Common Marantz

My system is as follows:

Marantz AV7701
Emotiva XPA-5
XLR connects
Sonus Faber Venere 3.0
Dual SVS SB13 ultras
Why do you want to use your movie playback to set the levels? You should use Audyssey for this.
post #819 of 955 Old 02-10-2015, 09:07 AM
T0S

FYI, I have been informed by Marantz, that the "Made for iPhone" connection, even though it uses the USB input, is simply taking an analog signal from the iPhone (not bypassing the iPhone DAC). It is not using the Marantz DAC. I understand that is a normal Made for iPhone connection - just like all the common iPhone docks that abound.

On the other hand of course when using a USB stick, the Marantz uses its DAC.

This explains what I was seeing - playing an iphone using its lightning connector only ever displays as "PCM" but a USB stick shows as e.g., "96kHz FLAC" based on the source file.
post #820 of 955 Old 02-10-2015, 09:24 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

My system is as follows:

Marantz AV7701
Emotiva XPA-5
XLR connects
Sonus Faber Venere 3.0
Dual SVS SB13 ultras
Yes, this is unfortunately how it works on all 2012 and 2013 D&M models, while the new 2014 models now have a Channel Level Adjust setting which can be set without having to hear test tones. However, if the AV7701 is connected to your home's Wifi network, you can use the Web Control feature and manually adjust speaker volume by entering the AV7701's IP address into a web browser on a laptop/tablet without any having to display anything on the TV.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #821 of 955 Old 02-12-2015, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Yes, this is unfortunately how it works on all 2012 and 2013 D&M models, while the new 2014 models now have a Channel Level Adjust setting which can be set without having to hear test tones. However, if the AV7701 is connected to your home's Wifi network, you can use the Web Control feature and manually adjust speaker volume by entering the AV7701's IP address into a web browser on a laptop/tablet without any having to display anything on the TV.
I was also thinking the free Android app would let you do this. I will have to check it.

Wishing I could post in the Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

post #822 of 955 Old 02-13-2015, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
What is a 'D&M model'?
post #823 of 955 Old 02-14-2015, 01:27 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Denon & Marantz (subsidiary companies of the D+M Group)

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #824 of 955 Old 02-14-2015, 04:15 AM
T0S

FWIW, you can more directly access the centre channel level and subwoofer level in the Audio menu. It then remembers the setting for each sound mode. So,e.g., I have a different subwoofer level for analog music than for DTS and a different centre channel level for Dolby pro logic. . Can be relatively easily adjusted on the fly.
post #825 of 955 Old 02-15-2015, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help. I bought a new pair of speakers. Expensive. Now I am using the media server much more because I have digitized my entire music collection (no haters please). Anyways, I have a WIRED network connection!
And the 7701 keeps crashing and freezing up. I have taken advice in the past and unplugged the unit for 5 minutes and it restores but I often get messages saying 'server disconnected' or -empty- what is the deal here? Is anyone else having these issues? Do I have to dig up my boxed of CDs to listen to music? The only player I have in my blu-ray! I recall the ability to perform a soft reset but 1) forget how and 2) not sure it would help. I am on the latest firmware. Would I be better off going wireless? Will the 7701 run at AC bandwidth or just N? Thanks to all, I always get good advice here.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty
post #826 of 955 Old 02-15-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
Help. I bought a new pair of speakers. Expensive. Now I am using the media server much more because I have digitized my entire music collection (no haters please). Anyways, I have a WIRED network connection!
And the 7701 keeps crashing and freezing up. I have taken advice in the past and unplugged the unit for 5 minutes and it restores but I often get messages saying 'server disconnected' or -empty- what is the deal here? Is anyone else having these issues? Do I have to dig up my boxed of CDs to listen to music? The only player I have in my blu-ray! I recall the ability to perform a soft reset but 1) forget how and 2) not sure it would help. I am on the latest firmware. Would I be better off going wireless? Will the 7701 run at AC bandwidth or just N? Thanks to all, I always get good advice here.
Make sure your 7701's firmware is up to date.

A "soft reset" is to unplug the pre/pro from the wall power for about 10 minutes. 5 usually is enough, though.
Reset the 7701, your file server, your network router and your network switch (if you have one).

How to do a "network reset" is described in post 366 above. It'll wipe out your Audyssey settings.

Wireless is less reliable than wired.

Make sure your 7701 is kept as cool as possible. If it's in an enclosure, a fan is required.
One possibility is that the network/hdmi card in your 7701 is starting to fail. This sometimes is due to overheating, although overheating also can cause temporary glitches which go away when the unit is kept cooler.

Another possibility is an incompatibility with the settings in your router. Make sure the router's firmware is up to date. Disable uPNP.
Consider upgrading the router hardware.

I remember jdsmoothie having posted a list of routers and wifi access points with the best record of working with D+M equipment, but I can't find it right now for some reason.

Selden

post #827 of 955 Old 02-15-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Make sure your 7701's firmware is up to date.

A "soft reset" is to unplug the pre/pro from the wall power for about 10 minutes. 5 usually is enough, though.
Reset the 7701, your file server, your network router and your network switch (if you have one).

Might be time for a new router but as I said, it's a wired connection.

How to do a "network reset" is described in post 366 above. It'll wipe out your Audyssey settings.

Don't care about Audessey settings, I tune manually

Wireless is less reliable than wired.

Make sure your 7701 is kept as cool as possible. If it's in an enclosure, a fan is required.
One possibility is that the network/hdmi card in your 7701 is starting to fail. This sometimes is due to overheating, although overheating also can cause temporary glitches which go away when the unit is kept cooler.

It is in a unit but the back is off, always.

Another possibility is an incompatibility with the settings in your router. Make sure the router's firmware is up to date. Disable uPNP.
Consider upgrading the router hardware.

As I said, router is old but N rated - Cisco - good quality.

I remember jdsmoothie having posted a list of routers and wifi access points with the best record of working with D+M equipment, but I can't find it right now for some reason.
Thanks for all the good information.

Roi Batty
post #828 of 955 Old 02-15-2015, 09:27 AM

Is there a way to identify my firmware? What is the latest version? Processor says it's up to date but who knows???

Roi Batty
post #829 of 955 Old 02-15-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is there a way to identify my firmware? What is the latest version? Processor says it's up to date but who knows???
If it says its up to date, then it is.

You're mentioning of cisco helped me to find one of JDSmoothie's network hardware lists. See Marantz SR7007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread

Selden

post #830 of 955 Old 02-15-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
If it says its up to date, then it is.

You're mentioning of cisco helped me to find one of JDSmoothie's network hardware lists. See Marantz SR7007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread
Cisco WRT 400 N

Roi Batty
post #831 of 955 Old 02-15-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Cisco WRT 400 N
The weirdness is that I can stream internet radio fine but when I try to access my computer, it gets glitchy- are there settings in Windows that I need to change to keep the music accessible?

Roi Batty
post #832 of 955 Old 02-15-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The weirdness is that I can stream internet radio fine but when I try to access my computer, it gets glitchy- are there settings in Windows that I need to change to keep the music accessible?
You might try using a different DLNA media player/server. Kodi (previously named XBMC) is popular.

Selden

post #833 of 955 Old 02-15-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
You might try using a different DLNA media player/server. Kodi (previously named XBMC) is popular.
How would I use one other than the one in the 7701?

Roi Batty
post #834 of 955 Old 02-16-2015, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How would I use one other than the one in the 7701?
The DLNA software running in the 7701 is the client.
The DLNA software running in the "remote" computer is the server.
In other words, you can run a DLNA server in your home networked computer which will provide the 7701 access to music files that are on your computer and remote network stations.

There are a variety of free and commercial DLNA server software packages, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. KODI is a popular free one.

Selden

post #835 of 955 Old 02-16-2015, 07:00 AM

Actually, I can play music via Windows Media Player - simple solution, drag and drop interface and much, much faster than scrolling through the 7701.I also have Bubble UPnP on my phone and am learning how to use that. Thanks everyone!
post #836 of 955 Old 02-22-2015, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

My system is as follows:

Marantz AV7701
Emotiva XPA-5
XLR connects
Sonus Faber Venere 3.0
Dual SVS SB13 ultras
I am thinking about buying a 7701....should I re think it??
post #837 of 955 Old 02-22-2015, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You can adjust levels from the app without running tones. They're probably assuming you need to hear the output before you play the source.
post #838 of 955 Old 02-22-2015, 03:59 PM

post #839 of 955 Old 02-26-2015, 06:11 AM

Liked: 1
Forgive me if this is a silly question. I am thinking about purchasing an AV7701 now to replace an older Aragon Source One (that lacks HDMI inputs).

In a few of the comments about adjusting the volume of the 7701 the author noted this could not be done easily. I was confused a little by the wording and wanted to know whether it was the GAIN of each individual speaker that could not be easily adjusted on the fly or whether it was the overall system volume (i.e. turning it down after the kids go to bed). Using the Source One, the individual speaker levels cannot be adjusted without running test tones, though that only takes a minute because there is no Audyssey type EQ program. If it's the case that the 7701's overall system volume cannot be adjusted easily that would be a problem for me.

The other issue I am concerned with re the 7701 is long-term reliability. I'm troubled by the comments about the unit locking up and that some have failed inside of 2 years. When I started reading this thread (which has been very informative) I leaned toward getting one; the last 3 or 4 pages of posts make me not quite as sure. Look forward to better understanding any volume setting issues with the unit.

Thanks.

post #840 of 955 Old 02-26-2015, 06:36 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihmeyers View Post
Forgive me if this is a silly question. I am thinking about purchasing an AV7701 now to replace an older Aragon Source One (that lacks HDMI inputs).

In a few of the comments about adjusting the volume of the 7701 the author noted this could not be done easily. I was confused a little by the wording and wanted to know whether it was the GAIN of each individual speaker that could not be easily adjusted on the fly or whether it was the overall system volume (i.e. turning it down after the kids go to bed). Using the Source One, the individual speaker levels cannot be adjusted without running test tones, though that only takes a minute because there is no Audyssey type EQ program. If it's the case that the 7701's overall system volume cannot be adjusted easily that would be a problem for me.

The other issue I am concerned with re the 7701 is long-term reliability. I'm troubled by the comments about the unit locking up and that some have failed inside of 2 years. When I started reading this thread (which has been very informative) I leaned toward getting one; the last 3 or 4 pages of posts make me not quite as sure. Look forward to better understanding any volume setting issues with the unit.

Thanks.

Volume adjustment is quite simple, putting the kids to bed in your example would just require you to rotate the knob or hit the vol on the remote or use the app... Simple.

The levels issue, after being set in audys or manually, you are free to adjust without test tones via the levels menu. This is easily accessible during playback via the system or the web browser access (search the IP address out on your router for the 7701 IP address and it brings you to a menu)

AV7701
MM7055
B&W CM9 Fronts
B&W CM5 Rears
B&W CMC1 Center
Martin Logan BalancedForce 210 Sub

Oppo 103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page