Marantz AV7701 Prepro Official Owner's thread - Page 30 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
post #871 of 887 Old 03-13-2015, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchOven88 View Post
What application do you plan on using the Pre-pro for?
100% use in our media room. We have a HTPC, XBox360 and Oppo BDP 105 and a Pace STB in here for sources.

The prepro will be mated to the just arrived (this morning!) Marantz 7055. The room is all Monitor Audio for fronts, center and sides.

Cheers,

VP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 887 Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalpoint View Post
100% use in our media room. We have a HTPC, XBox360 and Oppo BDP 105 and a Pace STB in here for sources.

The prepro will be mated to the just arrived (this morning!) Marantz 7055. The room is all Monitor Audio for fronts, center and sides.

Cheers,

VP
If you're planning on taking advantage of atmos and/or auro then you've also got better room correction in the 7702. You'd probably still be best passing video straight to a proj/monitor via oppo. If audio is only running through 7055 and you're o Ly usong a 5.1 then the 7701 is great.

AV7701
MM7055
B&W CM9 Fronts
B&W CM5 Rears
B&W CMC1 Center
Martin Logan BalancedForce 210 Sub

Oppo 103D
post #873 of 887 Old 03-13-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
If you're planning on taking advantage of atmos and/or auro then you've also got better room correction in the 7702.
We have no plans to move to Atmos or Auro. As far as the current room correction goes - the MCACC calibration in the Elite has been excellent thus far. Again - I have never tried anything else - so I have nothing to compare to

Quote:
You'd probably still be best passing video straight to a proj/monitor via oppo. If audio is only running through 7055 and you're o Ly usong a 5.1 then the 7701 is great.
That's exactly what we are doing right now. For big screen action - the Oppo feeds video to our Espon directly and simply sends the bitstreamed audio to the Pioneer Elite VSX-23THX. As as far as the family is concerned - this is pure excitement for them.

I guess that's what I am trying to gauge here. Kinda feel like the Elite is getting slightly long in the tooth and what I really want is to get my pre-pro relatively current without busting the bank (latest HDMI, perhaps 4K capability for future expansion and the usual basic extras that a pre-pro should have circa 2014-2015).

So unless the 7702 contains massively better "basics" - I am thinking that a new (or slightly loved 7701) might fit the bill perfectly? I really do not need to spend extra cash if those extras see no usage.

Thoughts?

VP
post #874 of 887 Old 03-13-2015, 10:30 AM

7701 has 4k pass through for sources not sourced by the oppo. Personally don't see a need for the 7702 in your situation. Love the audio control on the 7701 but again, the step up would also beg a speaker and amp modification (more channels).

Something else to consider are external sources, will you want a NAS? Those can be fun for streaming content to the oppo which can read media straight off of a computer (twonky or directly) or you can access media directly from either marantz (01/02). Always a fun addition there.
post #875 of 887 Old 03-13-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
7701 has 4k pass through for sources not sourced by the oppo. Personally don't see a need for the 7702 in your situation. Love the audio control on the 7701 but again, the step up would also beg a speaker and amp modification (more channels).

Something else to consider are external sources, will you want a NAS? Those can be fun for streaming content to the oppo which can read media straight off of a computer (twonky or directly) or you can access media directly from either marantz (01/02). Always a fun addition there.
We have a NAS in place but it's not something I would bother to access directly using the pre-pro. J.River Media Center is on the HTPC and it handles all media streaming to the PCs, ipads and of course the HT system in the media room.

VP
post #876 of 887 Old 03-14-2015, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found some Deutsche Grammophone Beethoven vinyl at a yard sale so I pulled out an old turntable and hooked it up. It has a two pronged plug and a separate ground wire- any ideas as to where on the 7701 I can ground the turntable and get rid of the buzz? right now I have the grounding wire taped to a third prong and plugged into the wall. It works but it's messy...

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty
post #877 of 887 Old 03-14-2015, 12:50 PM

Update.

Just joined the av7701 family. Found one new - got a smoking deal and will be here next week!

VP
post #878 of 887 Old 03-14-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
I found some Deutsche Grammophone Beethoven vinyl at a yard sale so I pulled out an old turntable and hooked it up. It has a two pronged plug and a separate ground wire- any ideas as to where on the 7701 I can ground the turntable and get rid of the buzz? right now I have the grounding wire taped to a third prong and plugged into the wall. It works but it's messy...
The TT should have a L/R RCA input plugs AND a ground wire in a single grouping coming out the back. The L/R of course goes to Phono on the av7701 and the ground wire goes to the signal ground screw on the back of av7701.(right next to the RS232C plug)

I would be very wary about taping anything to a "prong" that is anywhere near electricity.

VP
post #879 of 887 Old 03-14-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
The AV7701's ground connection is on its back panel, in between the RS-232C and Flasher connections, immediately above the CD RCA analog inputs.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #880 of 887 Old 03-14-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalpoint View Post
The TT should have a L/R RCA input plugs AND a ground wire in a single grouping coming out the back. The L/R of course goes to Phono on the av7701 and the ground wire goes to the signal ground screw on the back of av7701.(right next to the RS232C plug)

I would be very wary about taping anything to a "prong" that is anywhere near electricity.

VP
Found it!~ Disaster averted!! Thank you to you and Selden for responding.

Roi Batty
post #881 of 887 Old 03-22-2015, 01:46 PM

Loose HDMI input

Is anyone else haveing difficulty with a loose HDMI input? I occasionally have to jiggle the cable in the back of the unit to keep signal flowing - is this repairable? I have switched out cables numerous times (admittedly not expensive cables) but sometimes I lose the signal. Would more expensive cables help? Is this repairable? I do not have any game consoles- could I broadcast my cable box through the game channel?

Thanks everyone, I always get great advice and answers on this forum. You are all the best!!

Roi Batty
post #882 of 887 Old 03-22-2015, 02:36 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3525 Post(s)
Liked: 2129
Quote:
Is anyone else haveing difficulty with a loose HDMI input? I occasionally have to jiggle the cable in the back of the unit to keep signal flowing - is this repairable? I have switched out cables numerous times (admittedly not expensive cables) but sometimes I lose the signal. Would more expensive cables help? Is this repairable? I do not have any game consoles- could I broadcast my cable box through the game channel?

Thanks everyone, I always get great advice and answers on this forum. You are all the best!!
You may want to consider locking HDMI adapters as noted in the link below ....

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Echo-lock.../dp/B001QV2AKK

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #883 of 887 Old 03-22-2015, 04:18 PM

JD is the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You may want to consider locking HDMI adapters as noted in the link below ....

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Echo-lock.../dp/B001QV2AKK
Just ordered a set! Thanks!

Roi Batty
post #884 of 887 Unread Today, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I need to be able to get analog audio out to go to a set of headphones my elderly mother uses to hear the TV. I just need whatever source is selected to send analog audio to headphone. Is the MEDIA PLAYER OUT the correct connection? I can't seem to get any sound from those jacks. Any ideas?
post #885 of 887 Unread Today, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilic View Post
I need to be able to get analog audio out to go to a set of headphones my elderly mother uses to hear the TV. I just need whatever source is selected to send analog audio to headphone. Is the MEDIA PLAYER OUT the correct connection? I can't seem to get any sound from those jacks. Any ideas?
Just to clarify, these are wireless, powered headphones that accept RCA inputs.
post #886 of 887 Unread Today, 04:05 PM

There's an analog out on the lower left portion of the panel labeled media player from the perspective of looking at the rear panel
post #887 of 887 Unread Today, 04:28 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3525 Post(s)
Liked: 2129
Quote:
Quote:
Just to clarify, these are wireless, powered headphones that accept RCA inputs.
The source device must be connected with either an analog cable or if passing PCM 2.0, an optical/coax digital cable as HDMI cannot be passed to the Zone 2 pre-outs or Media Player Out.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page