Marantz AV7701 Prepro Official Owner's thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #931 of 955 Old 07-02-2015, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AV7701 and USB external hard drive

New question. Have an AV7701 to which I recently attached a Western Digital Elements portable hard drive (1 TB powered via USB) to the front panel. It's loaded with Hi-rez audio files and I was testing play back. I've used thumb drives successfully in the past but wanted more storage and download speed. The AV7701 attempts to connect repeatedly but fails. Is the front panel voltage insufficient to power the hard drive? Anyone have success with USB powered hard drive storage with this pre-pro? Suggestions?

Thanks, Gagman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 955 Old 07-03-2015, 08:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagman View Post
New question. Have an AV7701 to which I recently attached a Western Digital Elements portable hard drive (1 TB powered via USB) to the front panel. It's loaded with Hi-rez audio files and I was testing play back. I've used thumb drives successfully in the past but wanted more storage and download speed. The AV7701 attempts to connect repeatedly but fails. Is the front panel voltage insufficient to power the hard drive? Anyone have success with USB powered hard drive storage with this pre-pro? Suggestions?

Thanks, Gagman
A couple of things: According to the manual, the USB device must be formatted as FAT16 or FAT32, no NTFS. I suspect your 1TB device is formatted as NTFS, as that would be normal for a device that large. Next, the Marantz will only play .WAV files at 16 bits quantization. But it will play .FLAC files at 16 or 24 bits. You don't say what format your files are, hi-rez can mean a lot of things, so I'm guessing here. Could be the wrong disc format, wrong file format, or wrong quantization bit rate. Page 42 of the manual explains it.
post #933 of 955 Old 07-03-2015, 12:05 PM

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeemon View Post
A couple of things: According to the manual, the USB device must be formatted as FAT16 or FAT32, no NTFS. I suspect your 1TB device is formatted as NTFS, as that would be normal for a device that large. Next, the Marantz will only play .WAV files at 16 bits quantization. But it will play .FLAC files at 16 or 24 bits. You don't say what format your files are, hi-rez can mean a lot of things, so I'm guessing here. Could be the wrong disc format, wrong file format, or wrong quantization bit rate. Page 42 of the manual explains it.
Yup. You're correct. The files are less than 4 GB is size each but the WD hard drive is in NTFS format, nuts. The audio files are all .FLAC 96, khz / 24 bit and they play fine from a series of small FAT thumb drives that I have. Wanted to just consolidate in one place and never thought about the disc format. Too bad the AV7701 can't read NTFS...............
post #934 of 955 Old 07-04-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Yup. You're correct. The files are less than 4 GB is size each but the WD hard drive is in NTFS format, nuts. The audio files are all .FLAC 96, khz / 24 bit and they play fine from a series of small FAT thumb drives that I have. Wanted to just consolidate in one place and never thought about the disc format. Too bad the AV7701 can't read NTFS...............
Update -- I reformatted the WD HD to FAT32 format with a neat little freeware program called AOMEI. Worked perfectly and preserved all the music files....just modified the file format. Plugged it into the AV7701 expecting to see folder names and music files and......nada. The HD powers up (light comes on) but the AV7701 screen says "no connection" when the USB input is selected. Any thoughts or suggestions out there?

Also is there a way to determine the firmware version on my unit and also find out the most recent version for download. I haven't updated since new since everything seems to work fine and sometime firmware updates cause more headaches...........THANKS!
post #935 of 955 Old 07-04-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote by Gagman - Also is there a way to determine the firmware version on my unit and also find out the most recent version for download. I haven't updated since new since everything seems to work fine and sometime firmware updates cause more headaches...........THANKS![/QUOTE]

To determine the firmware version, click the setup button on the remote; under the setup menu, scroll down to "General", then scroll all the way down to click "Information" (you have to scroll down past the bottom of the menu), and you'll see Firmware at the bottom of this menu, click and you'll see your firmware version. Better yet, under the "General" menu, just go one more down past "Information" and click on "Firmware." Click "Update" and then "Check for Update". The Marantz will go online and check for the latest update and report back.
post #936 of 955 Old 07-04-2015, 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=Gagman;35529666]Update -- I reformatted the WD HD to FAT32 format with a neat little freeware program called AOMEI. Worked perfectly and preserved all the music files....just modified the file format. Plugged it into the AV7701 expecting to see folder names and music files and......nada. The HD powers up (light comes on) but the AV7701 screen says "no connection" when the USB input is selected. Any thoughts or suggestions out there?

Gagman, I was going to send a private mesage, but I don't have enough posts yet. If this is out of place, moderators, please delete.

Since you also asked about suggestions for playing flac files with your 1TB disk, may I suggest this. Buy a $35 Pi 2 (it's a very, very small computer about the size of a credit card). Get a 4 or 8gb micro SD card, class 10 if possible, download OSMC and install everything to the Pi 2. OSMC is an open source software that's free. It will automatically install the latest version of KODI (XBMC) to the Pi 2. The Pi 2 has an HDMI output and will connect directly to your Marantz. After a little bit of setup, KODI on the Pi 2 will play all of your hi-rez files, movies, pictures, pretty much everything. And it should be just about bit-perfect on the audio. There are plenty of references to KODI, OSMC setup, and the Pi 2 on the internet, wiki sites and forums. It does have a bit of a learning curve, but you seem to be someone who would like to tinker and experiment. The Pi 2 is available at many sites, and you can buy kits that come with all of the necessary paraphernalia. I use a full Windows HTPC running KODI to play my hi-rez files, but this little Pi 2 is amazing and will do all that my big HTPC will do. Note: make sure you get the Pi 2, not the plain Pi. Pi 2 has double the operating memory as the old Pi.
post #937 of 955 Old 07-05-2015, 01:54 PM

[quote=jbeemon;35530082]
Quote:
Update -- I reformatted the WD HD to FAT32 format with a neat little freeware program called AOMEI. Worked perfectly and preserved all the music files....just modified the file format. Plugged it into the AV7701 expecting to see folder names and music files and......nada. The HD powers up (light comes on) but the AV7701 screen says "no connection" when the USB input is selected. Any thoughts or suggestions out there?

Gagman, I was going to send a private mesage, but I don't have enough posts yet. If this is out of place, moderators, please delete.

Since you also asked about suggestions for playing flac files with your 1TB disk, may I suggest this. Buy a $35 Pi 2 (it's a very, very small computer about the size of a credit card). Get a 4 or 8gb micro SD card, class 10 if possible, download OSMC and install everything to the Pi 2. OSMC is an open source software that's free. It will automatically install the latest version of KODI (XBMC) to the Pi 2. The Pi 2 has an HDMI output and will connect directly to your Marantz. After a little bit of setup, KODI on the Pi 2 will play all of your hi-rez files, movies, pictures, pretty much everything. And it should be just about bit-perfect on the audio. There are plenty of references to KODI, OSMC setup, and the Pi 2 on the internet, wiki sites and forums. It does have a bit of a learning curve, but you seem to be someone who would like to tinker and experiment. The Pi 2 is available at many sites, and you can buy kits that come with all of the necessary paraphernalia. I use a full Windows HTPC running KODI to play my hi-rez files, but this little Pi 2 is amazing and will do all that my big HTPC will do. Note: make sure you get the Pi 2, not the plain Pi. Pi 2 has double the operating memory as the old Pi.
jbeemon: Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your time. Interesting approach described above but it's not really where I'd like to head. The AV7701 is currently the cornerstone of my theater room which serves double duty as my two channel or multi-channel listening room. I'm really asking if anyone has hooked up an external USB hard drive of any significant size (not a flash drive) and had the unit successfully recognize the drive, the files and play them back. I've formatted to FAT32, the HD unit appears to power up but the pre-pro doesn't see it via USB..........
post #938 of 955 Old 07-05-2015, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Got a simple question for ya 7701 owners...

How come I do not see the option for 'CD', as an input source? I've 'unhid' everything, and still I do not see it in the GUI...Do you need to plug in the cables to see it???

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #939 of 955 Old 07-05-2015, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

BUMP...the above question needs to be answered today or tomorrow....thanks guys!

Terrence

post #940 of 955 Old 07-06-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Please help Guys on the above question...Many Thanks

Terrence

post #941 of 955 Old 07-06-2015, 03:10 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 4622 Post(s)
Liked: 2432
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
Got a simple question for ya 7701 owners...

How come I do not see the option for 'CD', as an input source? I've 'unhid' everything, and still I do not see it in the GUI...Do you need to plug in the cables to see it???
Use the INPUT ASSIGN setting (p. 122 Owner's manual) to assign the CD source name to a specific input (eg. HDMI, Digital, or Analog).

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #942 of 955 Old 07-06-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

that's great, jd, But I do NOT see the CD option in the INPUT ASSIGN settting/section of the GUI......It's not even greyed out

Terrence

post #943 of 955 Old 07-06-2015, 03:18 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
that's great, jd, But I do NOT see the CD option in the INPUT ASSIGN settting/section of the GUI......It's not even greyed out
If it is specifically not HIDDEN, then try unplugging the 7701 power cord for 10 minutes. If still no joy, do a microprocessor reset as noted on p. 173 Owner's manual.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #944 of 955 Old 07-06-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks JD! Will a 'soft' reset keep my speaker settings etc?

Terrence

post #945 of 955 Old 07-06-2015, 03:24 PM
585-645-1006

Yes

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #946 of 955 Old 07-06-2015, 06:44 PM

Question

[quote=Gagman;35545770]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeemon View Post

jbeemon: Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your time. Interesting approach described above but it's not really where I'd like to head. The AV7701 is currently the cornerstone of my theater room which serves double duty as my two channel or multi-channel listening room. I'm really asking if anyone has hooked up an external USB hard drive of any significant size (not a flash drive) and had the unit successfully recognize the drive, the files and play them back. I've formatted to FAT32, the HD unit appears to power up but the pre-pro doesn't see it via USB..........

Just an update FYI:
Borrowed a 500 GB powered external hard drive from work, reformatted it to FAT32 format, copied my hi-res audio files to a folder. Plugged it into the front USB input on the AV7701, plugged in the drives power cord to my power conditioner, turned in on and VOILA!.....music!. So the problem is the AV7701 front panel USB does not have enough voltage to power external hard drives that derive their power from the USB cable. Too bad as most external drives are now powered that way. Wonder if and external SSD drive would work??
post #947 of 955 Old 07-07-2015, 03:16 AM
585-645-1006

[quote=Gagman;35574698]
Quote:

Just an update FYI:
Borrowed a 500 GB powered external hard drive from work, reformatted it to FAT32 format, copied my hi-res audio files to a folder. Plugged it into the front USB input on the AV7701, plugged in the drives power cord to my power conditioner, turned in on and VOILA!.....music!. So the problem is the AV7701 front panel USB does not have enough voltage to power external hard drives that derive their power from the USB cable. Too bad as most external drives are now powered that way. Wonder if and external SSD drive would work??

Not true for all external hard drives. As noted in the Owner's manual .....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	77
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	817178  

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #948 of 955 Old 07-07-2015, 11:15 AM

[quote=jdsmoothie;35580106]
Quote:

Not true for all external hard drives. As noted in the Owner's manual .....

Thanks for the note. Yes I can read the manual and have.

I've tried 3 different hard drives, all powered via the USB cable. Two from Western Digital (1 TB and 2 TB) and one from Seagate (1 TB). None of the three would work properly. The vast majority of new HD's are now powered via USB. The only one that worked was a 4 year old, 500 GB unit that had an AC adapter. All I'm saying is that if your HD DOES NOT DRAW POWER FROM AN AC ADAPTOR then it likely won't work properly with the AV7701. That's a shame because the new HD's are very small, have great storage capability and are relatively inexpensive. Thumb drives work because they're very low voltage draw and there are no moving parts to power.
post #949 of 955 Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello AVSers, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'm considering on replacing my sr6004 with av7701, since getting pretty good deal. Could someone pls clarify how future proof (or is it already severely outdated) is the 4k pass through on this particular amp? With ever evolving standards around hdmi, hevc, hdcp, whathaveyou, I find it difficult to keep up.

For the foreseeable future 4k content is running through Netflix on the TV itself and thus not going through the amp, but I imagine that at some point in time I would be upgrading my projector as well. And at that point in time I would not prefer to realize that the amp needs upgrading as well...

3D pass through would be a bonus already now.
post #950 of 955 Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by koomikko View Post
Hello AVSers, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'm considering on replacing my sr6004 with av7701, since getting pretty good deal. Could someone pls clarify how future proof (or is it already severely outdated) is the 4k pass through on this particular amp? With ever evolving standards around hdmi, hevc, hdcp, whathaveyou, I find it difficult to keep up.

For the foreseeable future 4k content is running through Netflix on the TV itself and thus not going through the amp, but I imagine that at some point in time I would be upgrading my projector as well. And at that point in time I would not prefer to realize that the amp needs upgrading as well...

3D pass through would be a bonus already now.
Although the AV7701 uses the slightly more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT over just MultEQ on your SR6004, the AV7702 uses the much more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT32 as well as upgraded pre-amps. However, unless you purchase the new 2015 AV7702MKII (Oct) which will be HDCP 2.2, purchase of either the AV7702 or AV7701 would require a dual HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 BDP which could pass the 4k video to the TV and the HD audio to the AVR.
KBMAN and koomikko like this.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #951 of 955 Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
... unless you purchase the new 2015 AV7702MKII (Oct) which will be HDCP 2.2...
Thank you for confirming! That's what I was expecting... Probably my best bet is to leave AVR upgrade to happen along projector upgrade.
post #952 of 955 Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Although the AV7701 uses the slightly more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT over just MultEQ on your SR6004, the AV7702 uses the much more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT32 as well as upgraded pre-amps. However, unless you purchase the new 2015 AV7702MKII (Oct) which will be HDCP 2.2, purchase of either the AV7702 or AV7701 would require a dual HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 BDP which could pass the 4k video to the TV and the HD audio to the AVR.

thanks for the heads-up JD....My system does not need MultEQ XT32, nor any room correction, abeit my sub, which is being tamed by an antimode 8033....My advise for people without dual sub room correction (using Ahdyssey) with lower models like my 7701 could basically achieve dual sub correction by adding one sub EQ to one of your subs....I could be wrong though!

Terrence

post #953 of 955 Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi JD, I am debating to go between 8802A and 7702 mk2. Could you tell their difference? I mainly use it for both music and movie. thx
post #954 of 955 Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Hi JD, I am debating to go between 8802A and 7702 mk2. Could you tell their difference? I mainly use it for both music and movie. thx

The AV8802A is out now, the AV7702MKII won't be out until Sep/Oct.

However, as this is the AV7701 thread, let's continue any discussion on models other the AV7702 in their respective threads ....

*Official* Marantz 2015 NR-1506/1606, SR-5010/6010/7010 & AV7702mkII owner's thread

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #955 of 955 Old Today, 06:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Can someone measure their 7701. I want to find out if the 7701 is the same size as the 7702. See drawing for required measurements and for measurements of 7702.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7702 measurements 2015-07-20 08.22.06.png
Views:	1
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	839106  

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors