Marantz AV7701 Prepro Official Owner's thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

Old 11-01-2015, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Dual Sub Question

Quick Question:

I have been running a single sub and am going to go to a dual setup. I have one RCA cable run from the back of my basement to the front screen area. Run a splitter and run both subs off the same input or go through the effort of pulling a second RCA cable to the front? Wires are all run in the wall and it might be a huge effort to pull the second cable.

From the manual it looks like it says the same signal goes to all subs connected. If this is accurate than I don't see the payoff for possibly having to do drywall work... which I hate.

thoughts?

George
Speakers: B&W 802N Fronts, B&W HTM1 Center, B&W CCM75 (x4) rears and surrounds, JTR Cap1400 (x2) Sub / Preamp: Marantz AV7701 / Amps: McIntosh MC8702 (center and rears), Emotiva XPA-1 (x2) for fronts / Bluray: Oppo 103D / Projector: Epson 5030UB / Screen: 120" Silver Ticket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2015, 03:31 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9765 Post(s)
Liked: 4543
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmrankin View Post
Quick Question:

I have been running a single sub and am going to go to a dual setup. I have one RCA cable run from the back of my basement to the front screen area. Run a splitter and run both subs off the same input or go through the effort of pulling a second RCA cable to the front? Wires are all run in the wall and it might be a huge effort to pull the second cable.

From the manual it looks like it says the same signal goes to all subs connected. If this is accurate than I don't see the payoff for possibly having to do drywall work... which I hate.

thoughts?

The former. No need to run an extra cable as the dual sub pre-outs are nothing more than an internal "Y" splitter.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Volume encoder

Has anyone had trouble with their volume encoder? Mine goes up if I turn it very slowly but goes down if I increase it normally or fast. When using the remote it works fine. Anyone ever adjusted one? I have had this receiver for about 3 years.

Thanks

Wishing I could post in the Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Old 11-12-2015, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
Has anyone had trouble with their volume encoder? Mine goes up if I turn it very slowly but goes down if I increase it normally or fast. When using the remote it works fine. Anyone ever adjusted one? I have had this receiver for about 3 years.

Thanks
I guess not!

Wishing I could post in the Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Old 12-20-2015, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio Return Channel Woes

Just recently set up my 7701 and seem to be having trouble with the Audio Return Channel function. I believe I have all the settings correct on both the TV (a Panasonic Viera TC-P65S60) and the receiver. I've set TV output in Viera Link to Home Theater, have verified in the 7701 that HDMI Control is on, and have set Control Monitor to Monitor 1, which is the connection being used to connect the TV.

Everything else seems to work other than actually getting sound through the 7701 - with the TV on, when I turn on the 7701, the TV stops producing sound (presumably because it's rerouting to the receiver). I select the source as TV, but no audio comes through. The volume control on the TV remote when used changes the volume on the receiver, so the link from the TV to the receiver is working. Just no sound. I've tried changing the audio mode (PLII/Stereo) and on the off chance I selected the wrong input, cycling through those as well (which not surprisingly didn't help).

The receiver otherwise produces audio with other input sources just fine. Any suggestions or thoughts on what I might be doing wrong or how I could further troubleshoot/fix, would be most appreciated.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have the 7005 and audio return has never worked. I use an optical connection from the TV to the processor as a work-around.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccur View Post
I have the 7005 and audio return has never worked. I use an optical connection from the TV to the processor as a work-around.
Thanks... though that's rather discouraging...
Old 12-20-2015, 12:23 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma999999 View Post

Just recently set up my 7701 and seem to be having trouble with the Audio Return Channel function. I believe I have all the settings correct on both the TV (a Panasonic Viera TC-P65S60) and the receiver. I've set TV output in Viera Link to Home Theater, have verified in the 7701 that HDMI Control is on, and have set Control Monitor to Monitor 1, which is the connection being used to connect the TV.

Everything else seems to work other than actually getting sound through the 7701 - with the TV on, when I turn on the 7701, the TV stops producing sound (presumably because it's rerouting to the receiver). I select the source as TV, but no audio comes through. The volume control on the TV remote when used changes the volume on the receiver, so the link from the TV to the receiver is working. Just no sound. I've tried changing the audio mode (PLII/Stereo) and on the off chance I selected the wrong input, cycling through those as well (which not surprisingly didn't help).

The receiver otherwise produces audio with other input sources just fine. Any suggestions or thoughts on what I might be doing wrong or how I could further troubleshoot/fix, would be most appreciated.

There are 2 settings that must be enabled on a Panny TV .... (1) VieraLink must be enabled, and (2) Speakers must be set to "Home Theater." You mentioned only have done one and not the other.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
There are 2 settings that must be enabled on a Panny TV .... (1) VieraLink must be enabled, and (2) Speakers must be set to "Home Theater." You mentioned only have done one and not the other.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think VieraLink is enabled already, insofar as the setting for speakers in under the VieraLink option - I click Tools (or something like that) and a row of icons show up at the bottom, one of which is VieraLink. I then select VieraLink which then brings me to various settings, including the one to set speaker output to the TV vs Home Theater.

Is there a separate setting somewhere else that needs to be turned on?
Old 01-01-2016, 12:25 PM

Just some further details on this, to the extent it might help:

- I've double checked that Viera Link is on in the options menu for the Panasonic TV
- On the 7701, I've checked the Input Assign settings - for TV AUDIO, I've set Digital to None and Comp to None. Under HDMI, nothing can be selected. Highlighting it indicates "non-assignable HDMI input connector source". I would imagine the reason for that is that it automatically selects the ARC from the relevant HDMI output connection
- When the receiver is set to TV AUDIO, I've checked the Input Select setting. There seem to be two options - No input (with an explanation that only video is passed through) and 7.1CH IN. However, neither selection seems to enable audio from the TV to be passed through the receiver.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Quote:

Old 01-01-2016, 01:08 PM

<sigh> Turns out it was because the Panny only has ARC on one of its two HDMI inputs and I had the receiver plugged into the one that didn't.

Quote:
Just some further details on this, to the extent it might help:

- I've double checked that Viera Link is on in the options menu for the Panasonic TV
- On the 7701, I've checked the Input Assign settings - for TV AUDIO, I've set Digital to None and Comp to None. Under HDMI, nothing can be selected. Highlighting it indicates "non-assignable HDMI input connector source". I would imagine the reason for that is that it automatically selects the ARC from the relevant HDMI output connection
- When the receiver is set to TV AUDIO, I've checked the Input Select setting. There seem to be two options - No input (with an explanation that only video is passed through) and 7.1CH IN. However, neither selection seems to enable audio from the TV to be passed through the receiver.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:49 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
<sigh> Turns out it was because the Panny only has ARC on one of its two HDMI inputs and I had the receiver plugged into the one that didn't.
Thanks for reporting back and a good reminder to all that just as there is generally only "1" HDMI(ARC) output on an AVR so to is there generally only one "1" HDMI(ARC) input on a TV.

------------

Old 02-17-2016, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm trying to do two things with my AV7701. First I'd like to output only to Zone 2. Right now when I select Zone 2 output simultaneously occurs to Main. I would like no audio or video to go to Main, only for the selected input to go to Zone 2. Secondly, I'd like to be able to trigger this with my Harmony.

I'm trying to simply watch TV in another room without it playing in both rooms. I have an HDMI cable going from Zone 2 on the AV7701 to the TV. I get video and sound just fine. I can't seem to figure out how to turn off Main while keeping Zone 2 on.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
HDMI input signals *are* sent to the Zone 2 HDMI output, but it explicitly says on page 100 of the 7701's owner's manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jszei View Post
I'm trying to do two things with my AV7701. First I'd like to output only to Zone 2. Right now when I select Zone 2 output simultaneously occurs to Main. I would like no audio or video to go to Main, only for the selected input to go to Zone 2. Secondly, I'd like to be able to trigger this with my Harmony.

I'm trying to simply watch TV in another room without it playing in both rooms. I have an HDMI cable going from Zone 2 on the AV7701 to the TV. I get video and sound just fine. I can't seem to figure out how to turn off Main while keeping Zone 2 on.
I made some progress with the Harmony. By adding (Zone 2) after AV7701 when I do a search for the Marantz, like this "AV7701 (Zone 2)" it gives me the commands for the second, Zone 2, remote. So I add the 7701 as a device twice in Harmony. This allows me to turn on only Zone 2 with the Harmony.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:55 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99 View Post
If that was the case then how could Sub EQ HT set different delays and levels for each sub?

Audyssey Sub EQ HT™ makes the integration of dual subwoofers
seamless by first compensating for any level and delay differences
between the two subwoofers and then applying Audyssey MultEQ®
XT32 to both subwoofers together

You're likely in the wrong thread. The Sub EQ HT feature only exists on the D+M models that use Audyssey MultEQ XT32. The AV7701 only features Audyssey MultEQ XT, so there is no Sub EQ HT.

------------

Old 02-18-2016, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
You're likely in the wrong thread. The Sub EQ HT feature only exists on the D+M models that use Audyssey MultEQ XT32. The AV7701 only features Audyssey MultEQ XT, so there is no Sub EQ HT.
Oops... You are right. I thought this was the AV7702 thread.
Disregard what I said. My apologizes.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Picked up an AV7701 from Accessories 4 Less for $699, and man am I glad that I did. I was using a Schiit Bifrost Uber that was split into my Emotiva XPA-5 and a crappy subwoofer. I love the Bifrost, but it's more for a desktop setup. I haven't even used Audyssey yet (I'm not much of a fan of room correction usually), but right now it sounds much more clear and clean than the Bifrost did in this setup. The picture on my old 1080p TV with a PS4 looks better. I was not expecting that at all, but my girlfriend and I both swear the image is less grainy and the contrast is better. Skin tones look more natural than they did before.

I have dual Rythmik F12 subwoofers on order and Ascend Acoustitcs Sierra Towers and a Horizon center on order to replace my old Magenpan Tympani 1D's for home theater use. Can't wait to get them plugged in and running. I am sort of wishing that I spent the extra 300 bucks fro the AV7702 just for Sub EQ, but like I said I usually run without processing, which is why the AV7701 seemed like such a huge steal. I think I made the right move, but we'll see how the Ascend setup sounds very soon!
Old 03-04-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Not that it really matters, but likely the same as in the Denon models ... AK4358VQ.
I'm really curious to know why you state that it doesn't really matter?

Can anyone confirm 100% what DAC is used in the 7701?
Old 03-04-2016, 10:23 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
I'm really curious to know why you state that it doesn't really matter?

Can anyone confirm 100% what DAC is used in the 7701?

It's the same 24 bit DAC used with the 2012 Marantz "SR" models, ie. the AK4358.

------------

Old 03-04-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
It's the same 24 bit DAC used with the 2012 Marantz "SR" models, ie. the AK4358.
Why do you state the DAC doesn't matter?
Old 03-04-2016, 12:49 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Why do you state the DAC doesn't matter?
It's unlikely you would notice the difference between different brands of 24 bit DACs.

------------

Old 03-04-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
It's unlikely you would notice the difference between different brands of 24 bit DACs.
What information do you base that on? I'm sincerely interested why you believe this because I have been reading so much about various stand alone DAC components and reviewers who unequivocally claim they can here the difference between DACs.

Here's a very interesting video of a DAC engineer describing his craft.

Here's a case in point. Take the Oppo BDP series. There's the 103 with the Cirrus DAC then there's the 105d with the Sabre DAC. Do you believe these DACs are the same?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:22 AM

Do the Graphic EQ settings (not Audyssey) get applied to analog input as well as digital in the AV7701?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:56 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Do the Graphic EQ settings (not Audyssey) get applied to analog input as well as digital in the AV7701?
Stereo analog input - yes

Multi analog input - no

------------

Old 03-09-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Stereo analog input - yes

Multi analog input - no
Direct and Pure Direct then negate the Graphic EQ all together for both stereo analog and digital?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:07 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
What information do you base that on? I'm sincerely interested why you believe this because I have been reading so much about various stand alone DAC components and reviewers who unequivocally claim they can here the difference between DACs.

Here's a very interesting video of a DAC engineer describing his craft.

Here's a case in point. Take the Oppo BDP series. There's the 103 with the Cirrus DAC then there's the 105d with the Sabre DAC. Do you believe these DACs are the same?
Note I was referring to comparing two 24 bit DACs and not a 24 bit DAC (103) vs. 32 bit DAC (105d), although here was what our very own audiophile Kal Rubinson commented on the subject of the two Oppo DACs:

Quote:
Yes, there are differences and the 105 is a better-sounding player via the analog outputs but, despite the encomiums, the difference is not huge. Depending on the resolution of your system, the quality of the source materials and your listening habits, it may make a significant difference to you or it may not. But, since you already have the 103 (and 30days to return it), why not decide for yourself if it offers the sound you want? You can always spend more.

------------

Old 03-09-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Note I was referring to comparing two 24 bit DACs and not a 24 bit DAC (103) vs. 32 bit DAC (105d), although here was what our very own audiophile Kal Rubinson commented on the subject of the two Oppo DACs:
No worries, I was just speaking in general. There are so many variables to consider and the DAC is just one. Not to mention the DAC will be housed on a board and powered introducing even more variables.

I do hear a difference between the 103 and 105D. I have also been listening to an Audio Alchemy DDP-1 DAC preamp which is an AKM DAC, same mfg as the DAC used in the AV7701. The DDP-1 sounds significantly different from the AV7701, more like how the BDP-105D (Sabre DAC) sounds. I've been side by side comparing these for several days now.

One last question for you...

Direct and Pure Direct then negate the Graphic EQ all together for both stereo analog and digital in the AV7701?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2016, 11:59 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
No worries, I was just speaking in general. There are so many variables to consider and the DAC is just one. Not to mention the DAC will be housed on a board and powered introducing even more variables.

I do hear a difference between the 103 and 105D. I have also been listening to an Audio Alchemy DDP-1 DAC preamp which is an AKM DAC, same mfg as the DAC used in the AV7701. The DDP-1 sounds significantly different from the AV7701, more like how the BDP-105D (Sabre DAC) sounds. I've been side by side comparing these for several days now.

One last question for you...

Direct and Pure Direct then negate the Graphic EQ all together for both stereo analog and digital in the AV7701?

Thanks
Correct. Neither Audyssey nor Graphic EQ is available.

------------

Old 03-22-2016, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Max volume limited

Hi all. I can't get my volume to go past 74. Just hits a limit and bounces off. I am using Audessey if that makes a difference. I did reset the unit, same thing.

Amp: ATI AT3000
Speakers: B&W CM series

Prior to the CMs i was running 683's without this problem.

Any ideas?

By Grabthar's hammer.......... What a savings.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:55 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthefloyd View Post
Hi all. I can't get my volume to go past 74. Just hits a limit and bounces off. I am using Audessey if that makes a difference. I did reset the unit, same thing.

Amp: ATI AT3000
Speakers: B&W CM series

Prior to the CMs i was running 683's without this problem.

Any ideas?
What are the volume levels set for each of the FL/FR speakers in Manual Setup - Test Tones? When Audyssey is disabled, does this limitation change? What is the "Volume Limit" setting set to?

------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement