post #181 of 671 Old 11-16-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfunk View Post

Last night I got mine and ran it, something tripped the AC circuit with all my components and I had to reset fuse box. Firmware upgrade continued and completed. Not sure what upgrade was I did see GUI listed during the upgrade. I think maybe my portable heater caused the AC issue.

Just did the update on mine. I noticed that Main, GUI and DSP were updated. There are some significant improvements to the Media Player, my 450 folder UPNP list now works and does not crash the unit and it is much faster to load hires tracks (192Khz with art took 23 seconds to catch up on first track of album with old firmware but 13 seconds with new firmware). Popping when changiung volume quickly with the remote on hires seems to be gone too.

Has anyone hot Video Source select to work? I have a Coax digital connected tuner and am trying to pick the HDMI from my cable box as the video source but it wont work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 671 Old 11-16-2012, 04:40 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
"Video Source" doesn't work with HDMI sources, rather you must connect component video cables from the cable box to the 7701.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #183 of 671 Old 11-16-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

"Video Source" doesn't work with HDMI sources, rather you must connect component video cables from the cable box to the 7701.

Seems an obvious improvement for the GUI; dont show sources which dont have analogue video assigned.
post #184 of 671 Old 11-17-2012, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is quite a healthy update, taking 43 minutes on mine. I didn't plan for this, as my wife came into the family room about 1/2 into the update. Luckily, she had no problem waiting.
post #185 of 671 Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Very disappointing that Zone 2 will only accept analog inputs - I was hoping to stay digital all the way.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty
post #186 of 671 Old 11-18-2012, 08:07 AM

First thanks for assistance for all my above post. As I said before I'm very pleased with my AV 7701. Remember I was bragging about how good it sounded w/o setting the Audyssey speaker calibration, well I attempted to set it last night.

Audyssey results not complete to my satisfaction. Rear surrounds to loud and sub woofer doesn't seem correct. Audyssey set fronts to large, usually I set to small and cross at 80HZ.

First off, I have a Velodyne CT 120 sub and I'm not sure I set it right before calibration started.... i set internal cross-over to direct and set sub volume to12 o'clock..low pass 80 HZ....high pass 80HZ...power auto..phase 0°.

Set mic on tripod and went through 8 positions. After calibration was complete, I pressed stored.

At what point can I make changes? For example changing front speaker size to small and lowering the rear volumes.I went to manual settings and made this, but when I went back to Audyssey I saw no changes made, front speakers still said large. Also my sub is set at -12db which seems very low.

If I chose the Audyssey off option and the light goes off, I assume there is no correction... correct? Seems like when I went back to manual adjustment all the speaker calibration...position.. distance..levels were there (set to factory default was an option).

I think I was happier before the Audyssey was applied.
Any help is appreciated

CC

post #187 of 671 Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 AM

Liked: 27
I'd hit up the Audyssey FAQ and go from there. The only thing I can see right off the bat is that you set the internal sub crossover @80. You'll want to turn this off if you can, or all the way up and use your AVR to set the sub crossover, which should actually be at 120. Also, as you are running the calibration, turn the sub to on, then you can turn it back to auto once it's done. Also, the AVR will most always set your speakers to large if they are full range speakers, you'll just want to switch that in the AVR and set the crossovers how you want, I'd start with 80 all around and go from there.

Turn it up!
post #188 of 671 Old 11-18-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post

Very disappointing that Zone 2 will only accept analog inputs - I was hoping to stay digital all the way.

This does actually simplify things. In certain situation with other setups you can end up with undecoded digital noise in the sub zones and HDMI pcm decode into sub zones is rare. I take some offense as to why I cant have Coax digital in Zone1 with an HDMI source chosen with video select, just dont see the technical reason.
post #189 of 671 Old 11-18-2012, 04:46 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

First thanks for assistance for all my above post. As I said before I'm very pleased with my AV 7701. Remember I was bragging about how good it sounded w/o setting the Audyssey speaker calibration, well I attempted to set it last night.
Audyssey results not complete to my satisfaction. Rear surrounds to loud and sub woofer doesn't seem correct. Audyssey set fronts to large, usually I set to small and cross at 80HZ.
First off, I have a Velodyne CT 120 sub and I'm not sure I set it right before calibration started.... i set internal cross-over to direct and set sub volume to12 o'clock..low pass 80 HZ....high pass 80HZ...power auto..phase 0°.
Set mic on tripod and went through 8 positions. After calibration was complete, I pressed stored.
At what point can I make changes? For example changing front speaker size to small and lowering the rear volumes.I went to manual settings and made this, but when I went back to Audyssey I saw no changes made, front speakers still said large. Also my sub is set at -12db which seems very low.
If I chose the Audyssey off option and the light goes off, I assume there is no correction... correct? Seems like when I went back to manual adjustment all the speaker calibration...position.. distance..levels were there (set to factory default was an option).
Any help is appreciated
CC

The Auto Setup settings indicate what was set after running Audyssey and these settings will not change, rather the changes you make are indicated in the manual setup and these in fact then become the "active" settings. You can make changes after running Audyssey without impacting the Audyssey filters. Review the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guidel linked in my sig.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #190 of 671 Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 AM

Does anyone have the codes for the Comcast/Motorola set top box remote? Mine is a DCT 3412 dual tuner/dvr. The manual says I am looking for a four digit code that starts with 4, Comcast after several calls was only able to come up with 5 digit codes that start with 0.

Also , if anyone had the code for a Syntax Olevia tv, that would be awesome as well. Thanks.

Roi Batty
post #191 of 671 Old 11-19-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:

The Auto Setup settings indicate what was set after running Audyssey and these settings will not change, rather the changes you make are indicated in the manual setup and these in fact then become the "active" settings. You can make changes after running Audyssey without impacting the Audyssey filters. Review the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guidel linked in my sig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

I'd hit up the Audyssey FAQ and go from there. The only thing I can see right off the bat is that you set the internal sub crossover @80. You'll want to turn this off if you can, or all the way up and use your AVR to set the sub crossover, which should actually be at 120. Also, as you are running the calibration, turn the sub to on, then you can turn it back to auto once it's done. Also, the AVR will most always set your speakers to large if they are full range speakers, you'll just want to switch that in the AVR and set the crossovers how you want, I'd start with 80 all around and go from there.

Thanks for the help, I will run Audyssey again.

CC

post #192 of 671 Old 11-19-2012, 02:38 PM

More questions as I am quite the noob:

I understand that I can stream from my Android phone without the rx-101 adapter via my home network - how do I do this?

Also, it appears to me that the internet connection stays "on" all the time as I am unable to stram music fom my HTPC: it cuts out multiple times each minute...

Any ideas? Thanks.

Roi Batty
post #193 of 671 Old 11-19-2012, 04:10 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Does anyone have the codes for the Comcast/Motorola set top box remote? Mine is a DCT 3412 dual tuner/dvr. The manual says I am looking for a four digit code that starts with 4, Comcast after several calls was only able to come up with 5 digit codes that start with 0.
Also , if anyone had the code for a Syntax Olevia tv, that would be awesome as well. Thanks.

2 words ..... Harmony remote. smile.gif

post #194 of 671 Old 11-19-2012, 04:11 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

More questions as I am quite the noob:
I understand that I can stream from my Android phone without the rx-101 adapter via my home network - how do I do this?
Also, it appears to me that the internet connection stays "on" all the time as I am unable to stram music fom my HTPC: it cuts out multiple times each minute...
Any ideas? Thanks.

You would use DLNA or Airplay depending on what app you are using.

post #195 of 671 Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 AM

Thanks JD -

I wish I could afford a Harmony remote but am saving for a tv right now. Anyways, I don' t need a remote. I need an instruction manual that is easier to understand. I can't believe I struggled with trying to manually program the remote. I must be missing a step. I think it's the one that says to register a code before trying to program. Can anyone decipher that for me?

Roi Batty
post #196 of 671 Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 AM
585-645-1006

The lower end Harmony remotes cost < $50 and IIRC Best Buy has the 650 on sale for around $45. smile.gif

There are two ways to "register" a device remote code, either manually entering it from the code provided in the back of the Owner's manual, or letting the Marantz remote scan through the remote codes to find one that "may" work with your device. If there is no code listed in the back of the Owner's manual, it's unlikely the remote will be able to control your device, whereas with a Harmony remote, with over 250,000 devices in their database, it's virtually assured that the Harmony remote can control all of your devices.

post #197 of 671 Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

The lower end Harmony remotes cost < $50 and IIRC Best Buy has the 650 on sale for around $45. smile.gif
And, the remote is the most important piece of an HT. Haven't touched my TV since I plugged it in. I do touch the receiver occasionally. To plug in headphones or a video game. The remote (and keyboard, for me) is worshipped daily.
post #198 of 671 Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 PM

I imagine I may cave in and buy a remote, I like the Harmony One which is quite reasonab le on eBay. However, I haven't given up. the problem is clearly user error so I will keep trying things before I quit and buy. One note says I need to add a preset code to an input source before I can manually program individual buttons so I will try adding a unit I don't own and then program on top of it. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Roi Batty
post #199 of 671 Old 11-21-2012, 01:08 PM
585-645-1006

Huh? If the device you're trying to control doesn't have a preset code listed in the remote already, what's the point of using another device's code? Try the "auto scan" method and see if there remote can find a code for you.

post #200 of 671 Old 11-21-2012, 01:19 PM

quoting from the manual here on operating the LEARN function page 146:

NOTE
Before using the learning function, register
a preset code (vpage 140 “Registering
preset codes”) for a mode other than AVR
preset (vpage 142) to each input source
switch button.

Roi Batty
post #201 of 671 Old 11-21-2012, 01:22 PM
585-645-1006

Learning the codes from the device's remote is another matter all together and should work.

post #202 of 671 Old 11-21-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:

Learning the codes from the device's remote is another matter all together and should work.

I agree. 15 years of Marantz remotes and I figure no problem and yet....

Roi Batty
post #203 of 671 Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Any help is appreciated
CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

Quote:

I ran Audyssey twice last night with advice from you guys and also refering to the Audyssey forum. Adjusted sub woofer volume from previous level of 12 o' clock (resulted in high negative trim -12db) to 3 o'clock (new result trim -8db). Ideally, final sub trim should be somewhere between -3.5db and +3.5db. So I lowered sub volume to about 5 o'clock ( about 2.0 on volume control) and the sub trim result is -2.5db which was good enough for me. I stored all of this, then went to manual speaker adjustmment and changed front speaker size to small and change crossover from 40 to 60hz.

The results are now fantastic. Listened to several CD's and I'm hearing more detail than ever. Vocals have a more natural tone and are smoother, I tested this by switching back and worth (Audyssey on/off). Listen to Parliament "Clones of Dr. Funk" cd, and I can clearly pick out one instrument and follow throughout the recording. Could have stayed up all night jammin Cd's with this new profound sound smile.gif.

Thanks you guys
CC

post #204 of 671 Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 AM

I just got my av7701 and have just ran through my first calibrations. I'm running into a troubling issue with Audyssey in that all the channels besides the subwoofer come back -12 which is the point where Audyssey says, lower the levels and calibrate again. I cant lower the levels on my amp so am I stuck not being able to calibrate? I'm using a Emotiva xpa5 with audioquest xlr interconnects. Previous to the Marantz, I ran a Denon 3808 as my processer with RCA interconnects and never ran into this issue. In fact, when using Audyssey the levels were regularly +2 or more on each speaker. I was very excited to get this processor but now am extremely frustrated that I cant calibrate it. Is it possible there is something defective in the unit? I actually emailed Audyssey and they said this happens in smaller rooms. My room is 11'x20' and I have no way to move into a larger room, if that is really the issue but it has me wondering why they would make something that only worked in giant rooms. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #205 of 671 Old 11-22-2012, 08:15 AM

Actually, once I assigned cab/sat to some random 4 digit number starting with 4, I was able to start manually programming the buttons. Unfortunately, some would program and some would not so I am def going with a Harmony remote, probably the Harmony One. Does anyone like this remote?

Btw, thanks again to all that have made my first week with my 7701 such a rewarding experience. I appreciate everyone's input. This is an awesome forum.

Happy Thanksgiving! Currently listening to Adiemus first album, "Kayama" - sounds excellent. biggrin.gif

Roi Batty
post #206 of 671 Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversfan View Post

I just got my av7701 and have just ran through my first calibrations. I'm running into a troubling issue with Audyssey in that all the channels besides the subwoofer come back -12 which is the point where Audyssey says, lower the levels and calibrate again. I cant lower the levels on my amp so am I stuck not being able to calibrate? I'm using a Emotiva xpa5 with audioquest xlr interconnects. Previous to the Marantz, I ran a Denon 3808 as my processer with RCA interconnects and never ran into this issue. In fact, when using Audyssey the levels were regularly +2 or more on each speaker. I was very excited to get this processor but now am extremely frustrated that I cant calibrate it. Is it possible there is something defective in the unit? I actually emailed Audyssey and they said this happens in smaller rooms. My room is 11'x20' and I have no way to move into a larger room, if that is really the issue but it has me wondering why they would make something that only worked in giant rooms. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Try RCA's. Sometimes with XLR's, there's a 3dB increase due to how common mode rejection works.

I know that in the AV7005 thread, attenuators have also been mentioned that would drop the level of the signal for each channel. They'd go in between the pre/pro and the amp.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #207 of 671 Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Attenuators are readily available for XLR interconnects. Since Audyssey is "pegging" at -12dB, a set of 15dB attenuators might be reasonable.

Selden
post #208 of 671 Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 AM

My Pandora no longer works. At log-in the screen eventually goes black and that's it. Not sure if this happened when the firmware was updated or I replaced my router.
post #209 of 671 Old 12-06-2012, 09:00 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHDTV View Post

My Pandora no longer works. At log-in the screen eventually goes black and that's it. Not sure if this happened when the firmware was updated or I replaced my router.

It's an issue reported by D&M caused by Pandora. They are working on fixing it.
post #210 of 671 Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

It's an issue reported by D&M caused by Pandora. They are working on fixing it.

Thanks for that info. Much appreciated!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page