Denon 2312CI not impressed... - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 159 Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OP, ur saying movies is fine but when listening to music ur not happy.

Have u set your speakers to small? You need to.(yes, even if they are HUGE)

If running 2.1 for music:

Ignore the crossover freq that Audussey sets and manually set it at 80.

You may need to play with LFE and LFE+main for the sub to work properly. LFE only is what you want but with some Denons you need to set it at LFE +main.

Where u have ur sub doesnt look good to me, in general they seem to work better in a corner.

I agree with what others are saying, it cannot be the avr...its either a setting issue or the speakers dont suit the environment and/or your ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 Old 05-22-2013, 02:31 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooidude0 View Post

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to comment on the 2312CI as well. I'm not impressed either. I went from a Integra 5.9 (awesome) to a Onkyo 608 (decent) to a Epson Ensemble (decent) to a Denon 2312CI (not impressed) and now to a cheap Onkyo HT-R290. I gotta say, I missed the clear punch of an Onkyo! The difference between Onkyo and Denon are pretty clear. Not as good as Marantz or Harmon Kardon, but good enough for me. The Denon is clear, smooth, but I feel like the sound is hiding behind the speakers. I ran the Audyssey XT 8 times with different speakers including Boston VR20s, Boston CR9s, Polk RT8s, or Infinity 200.6's in the front, Klipsch or a JBL studio center, Velodyne or JBL sub, Bic Venturi V62 or DBXs in the rear. I just could not get the sound I wanted no matter how hard I tried. So today I got the Onkyo R290, hooked it up and didn't touch the settings and Wow! That Denon just doesn't come close. I liked everything about the Denon except the sound. Thanks

Suggest you review the Audyssey 101/FAQ/Setup Guide linked in my sig as it could be a setup issue with how you're using the Audyssey mic. Are you using a tripod or mic boom stand with all 8 mic positions within a circle of no more than 2-3' diameter?

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #153 of 159 Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM

Liked: 11
The sound of the 2312 seems better than anything I've had in the past.

But the reliability for me has been terrible. This thing was having hdmi handshake issues requiring a particular sequencing of turning on the tv, cable box, receiver, etc else fail. Then came the 30 second power off and on cycling and needing to repair or replace.

From those who have been around these threads for awhile and own a 2312, how common are these quality issues... especially the hdmi handshaking and the power flickering? By appearances a lot of people deal with these same problems above... but maybe nobody posts the good stories. I get the impression these things are just flawed and it may be a waste of time hoping for a good result. Like repairing an MG car (with all due respect to any MG lovers!).

Thanks
post #154 of 159 Old 06-13-2013, 02:01 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
HDMI handshake issues with cable/sat boxes are common with all brands of AVRs because the boxes are not designed to be connected to an HDMI repeater (ie. AVR) rather directly to a TV which is why installers will often bypass the AVR and connect the HDMI directly to the TV with optical to the AVR for surround audio.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #155 of 159 Old 01-15-2014, 03:35 PM

Hello everyone

I guess I am reserecting this thread, I too have flat sound with no depth or richness

2 years ago I finished my basement open concept and in one corner I have my home theatre, I have the Denon 2312 which replaces a Yamaha RXV2095, and in walls DefTec reference in walls, Fronts, Center, Sub, and in ceiling reference rears. These speakers replace speakercraft 8 inch round in ceiling speakers for all front, center, and rears. I moved the Yamaha and speakercrafts to the main floor family room.

For 2 years I have been playing with the Audessy and playing with the crossovers and what ever else I can find to improve the sound but I cant get it to sound right, when people come over to my house they are amazed by the Yamaha/speakercraft combo, but when they come downstairs they are dissapointed and ask what kind of amp and speakers I'm running.

I'm really frustrated

Runco LS5, 100" Stewart Firehawk G3, Denon 2312CI, Definitive Technology Reference in walls Fronts, Center and Sub

Definitive Technology Reference in ceiling Rears

post #156 of 159 Old 01-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention, a few months back I too said it sounds like the sound is hiding behind the speakers as someone else posted earlier

Runco LS5, 100" Stewart Firehawk G3, Denon 2312CI, Definitive Technology Reference in walls Fronts, Center and Sub

post #157 of 159 Old 01-16-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by camillian View Post

Hello everyone

I guess I am reserecting this thread, I too have flat sound with no depth or richness

2 years ago I finished my basement open concept and in one corner I have my home theatre, I have the Denon 2312 which replaces a Yamaha RXV2095, and in walls DefTec reference in walls, Fronts, Center, Sub, and in ceiling reference rears. These speakers replace speakercraft 8 inch round in ceiling speakers for all front, center, and rears. I moved the Yamaha and speakercrafts to the main floor family room.

For 2 years I have been playing with the Audessy and playing with the crossovers and what ever else I can find to improve the sound but I cant get it to sound right, when people come over to my house they are amazed by the Yamaha/speakercraft combo, but when they come downstairs they are dissapointed and ask what kind of amp and speakers I'm running.

I'm really frustrated

That's because more likely your room and speakers aren't helping you out, not the avr. In wall and in ceiling speakers are best for aesthetics, not performance. How's your room set up, do you have cement floors/walls, what kind of ceiling, etc?

post #158 of 159 Old 01-17-2014, 02:13 PM

yes I have cement walls and concrete floors, but I do have and underlayment on the floor of 2 sheets of 5/8" plywood and 3/4" hardwood flooring on top of that, the walls are wood studs with insulation and drywall, the ceiling is wood with drywall.

Keep in mind I had the 8"speaker craft in ceiling speakers and the Yamaha avr in the basement before I moved them upstairs and I had just as good sound from this set up downstairs.

post #159 of 159 Old 01-17-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by camillian View Post

yes I have cement walls and concrete floors, but I do have and underlayment on the floor of 2 sheets of 5/8" plywood and 3/4" hardwood flooring on top of that, the walls are wood studs with insulation and drywall, the ceiling is wood with drywall.

Keep in mind I had the 8"speaker craft in ceiling speakers and the Yamaha avr in the basement before I moved them upstairs and I had just as good sound from this set up downstairs.

Okay so what's on those floors, walls (& ceiling)? Keep in mind what? You changed systems in the room, the current question is the current room with a change in gear and I'd still think the speakers have more to do with it than an avr but you'll have to be real specific about the comparison for it to have a lot of meaning as to pointing to the avr as the biggest culprit....IMHO.
CruelInventions likes this.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2312ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page