Receiver is dying... Looking for a replacement. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I'm new to the site. I'm looking to replace an older Sony receiver that is dying a slow death (I've lost all but the front L&R channels). I'd appreciate any help you all can provide on selecting a new model. Here's some specs I'd like to have: Networking (don't necessarily need built in WIFI), AirPlay & IPod integration, Multi-zone capability (powered preferred, but not necessary), 7 channel surround, auto room calibration, mid range on price (can spend up to $1500, but I would rather not). I listen to various genres of music and watch almost every type of movie. Since this will be front and center in my living room, I'm loving the looks of the Marantz SR7005 (and the features aren't too shabby either). But since looks aren't everything, what other receivers would you all suggest? Are there any upcoming receivers I should hold out for?

As for my room and system:

Room Size: 20x15
Average Listening Positions: 4
TV: 40" Samsung LCD
Blueray and Games: PS3
Cable Provider: Comcast
Speakers: JBL S312s for fronts, S38s and Control 1s for rears, S-center for center, and a Cerwin Vega CVT-200s sub-woofer. Nothing special, but they've faithfully served me well for over 10 years.
Remote: Harmony One

Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The best-sounding receiver you can buy at any price is the Cambridge 650R. There are receivers that cost over $3000 that can't come close to its sound quality.

It has been selling for $1800, but have seen it recently for as low as $1200. I suspect this is because they may be coming out with a new model soon. It is a very good time to buy one.

Please read the Home Theater magazine review of it; they echo my opinion of its superior sound quality and spell out its many features and its flexibility.

It is the only receiver that I have ever heard of that guarantees you 100 watts per channel with low distortion with ALL 7 CHANNELS DRIVEN! It has a 1500 watt power supply, while the pretenders mostly have 500- or 600-watt power supplies.

It also allows you. if only using 5.1 channels, to biamp the front two speakers which then drives them with 200 watts per channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSmithPE View Post

Hi all, I'm new to the site. I'm looking to replace an older Sony receiver that is dying a slow death (I've lost all but the front L&R channels). I'd appreciate any help you all can provide on selecting a new model. Here's some specs I'd like to have: Networking (don't necessarily need built in WIFI), AirPlay & IPod integration, Multi-zone capability (powered preferred, but not necessary), 7 channel surround, auto room calibration, mid range on price (can spend up to $1500, but I would rather not). I listen to various genres of music and watch almost every type of movie. Since this will be front and center in my living room, I'm loving the looks of the Marantz SR7005 (and the features aren't too shabby either). But since looks aren't everything, what other receivers would you all suggest? Are there any upcoming receivers I should hold out for?

As for my room and system:

Room Size: 20x15
Average Listening Positions: 4
TV: 40" Samsung LCD
Blueray and Games: PS3
Cable Provider: Comcast
Speakers: JBL S312s for fronts, S38s and Control 1s for rears, S-center for center, and a Cerwin Vega CVT-200s sub-woofer. Nothing special, but they've faithfully served me well for over 10 years.
Remote: Harmony One

Thank you very much!

post #3 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
If you don't want a lot of whiz bang features you'll likely never use then I would go with NAD or the afore mentioned Cambridge or the newer slightly lower end 550R (available at Crutchfield).

But NAD would be my choice. Most here will recommend or rather insist you have to get a receiver with Audessy room correction. So take those recommendations with a large barrel of salt.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #4 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 75
You could look at the new Marantz models.

Marantz Promises AirPlay, 4K and HDMI Options in New SR Receivers

Oppo Beta Group
post #5 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I agree with the others. If you desire the features the Marantz offers then go for it. However, I think you would be satisfied with one of the lower Marantz models if you're just doing movies and music.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #6 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I heard a marantz receiver playing a movie the other day at a stereo shop. It sounded good. Go for the Marantz.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you want a solid long lasting receiver, get a yamaha, they get good reviews and I can attest to their longevity as I have a complete yamaha setup with a receiver that is nearly 10 years old (just replaced it this feb) and NS-6490's that range from 20 to 1 year old with the average being 10 years. a NS-C 125 that is 7 years old and two YST SW-215s that are 8 years old.

I also got a yamaha vino 125 scooter that is 6 years old with 23K miles on it...

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #8 of 8 Old 06-02-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

I agree with the others. If you desire the features the Marantz offers then go for it. However, I think you would be satisfied with one of the lower Marantz models if you're just doing movies and music.

+100, I was impressed with how easily a flash drive loaded with FLAC files can be enjoyed quite intuitively via the front control panel of the Marantz (and this was one of the slim AVRs)!!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page