New AVR - Need Advice. Dedicated Home Theater room. This thread = Pics. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will try and make this quick and to the point. Costs are always important... no money tree in the backyard.

Current AVR that I am looking to replace:
Onkyo TX SR707 - Simply put, at the time when I purchased it was a fine AVR for my needs. Was not using in the current Dedicated TR. Still planning on using, but plan on using downstairs to run dual-zone. Mainly outside speakers.

Size of room: (See Pics)
20x18

New AVR will be running:
B&W 703's
Unknown Center, but will be either: B&W HTM7 or HTM3s
SVS Sub: 10"
Rear surrounds - Klipsch CDT-5650

Main listening styles / requirements:
85% Movies / 15% Music
Because we mainly watch movies, I prefer an AVR that basically has all the flashy sound codec's. 3D is NOT important, but I know now days it will be supported.
Audyssey has been used successfully with the current Onkyo, would like to have some type of room correction abilities - but I am willing to setup if needed.

Toss - Up?:
Local AV Shop is suggesting Arcam AVR400. I have been searching high and low comparing specs on the Denon 4311, Onkyo 5009, etc, etc... hell even thinking a pre/pro might be the route.
Have thought about keeping the current Onkyo and adding in amps. Emotiva, Outlaw... list goes on. (this scenario would be ideal I suppose)

Basically looking for some direction as to what might be the best path. New AVR to push those 703's, etc to higher heights or stick with the current Onkyo and move into separate amp(s)?

Pics link:
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ome%20Theater/

Cheers,
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Overall I'm just looking to rock that room. It currently sounds good, but I suspect I can really make it shine with those 703's, etc with some solid true power.

Been around these forums for a few years now... lurking, reading, etc... would really appreciate the help anyone might have.

Cheers,
post #3 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Denon 4311 is an excellent choice. You might not need an Amp using it with your speakers but it does has pre-out should you need to add an amp to it. Nice room/setup you have there by the way
post #4 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Adding another sub in the opposite corner of your room is what I would do if you want to rock your house. One SVS 10 is not enough for room size (3600' ^3 if ceiling heigh is 10' from looking at the picture). The 4311 will eq both subs individually.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I plan on diving a bit deeper into the 4311. The second sub is on the agenda, actually I'm I'm the process of selling the 10 and upgrading, possibly to a JL (local dealer has one for sale) or just staying with SVS.

As for the AVR, I'd either like to upgrade to a new AVR or simply add an amp. Is therea anything on the horizon from Denon to simply wait for vs dropping on the 4311?

Oh and please take my 'rock' term lightly. I have a 21 month old and one on the way I have to be careful of, noise level, in the evening. I just feel and think I'm hearing I can use the power upgrade.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
post #6 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Being able to transfer the current Onkyo and use for another purpose is a good thing. Basically my main concern is: Do I go the dedicated AMP, power per channel, or opt for the AVR?
I'm looking for sharper clarity in sound and I'm hopeful I can achieve this with an upgrade.

Cheers,
post #7 of 14 Old 05-30-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The upcoming Denon 4520 could be the 4311 replacement. I honestly do not think you need an amp as your speakers are 8Ohm with 90dbs sensitivity. The Denon 4311 can easily drive these speakers clean and loud. I had a Sherbourn 5x200W amp added to my Yamaha DSP-A1 receiver about 15 yrs ago and it did not improve sound that I can hear/tell, but my speakers were not as nice as yours (Mirage OM6).
post #8 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks once again. I'm thinking the separate Amp's are not needed either... as per my needs / wants, using my current Onkyo downstairs and simply upgrading to a nice more robust AVR is probably the best route.

Curious, when searching the world wide web - I keep seeing comparison's between the NR3009. Folks leaning towards the NR3009.

Thoughts? While I'm not sure what the current pricing is as it relates to the 3009 -- but from what I've read and found, the 4311 appears to be one of the better 'bang for the buck'.

Will the Onkyo's give a better edge: Picture, Sound, etc...
post #9 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

I'm also curious to hear folks thoughts on speaker config for this room.

Currently the room has, you should be able to see in the pics, 3 front in-ceiling Klipsch speakers and 2 rear matched. The fronts are currently not in use, the rears are used as surround.
Would there be an added benefit, when I snag the new AVR, to run:
L, C, R
and also
High or wide? L, C, R
Basically would be running 8 speakers total. The in-ceiling speakers are literally directly above those B&W's.

Thoughts,

Cheers,
post #10 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I think the problem with the 707 is that it can't handle the impedance dips. The B&W 703s impedance drops down below 3 ohms and you will need an amp or receiver that can handle that. The Denon 4311 or Onkyo 3009 should both get the job done but you need to figure which has more features that you need. The 3009 has better video scaling form what I have heard. The 4311 has airplay and is capable of doing 11 channels if you add an amp. Look over both models see if anything stands out to you as being a must have feature and decide from there.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrathlon View Post

I'm also curious to hear folks thoughts on speaker config for this room.

Currently the room has, you should be able to see in the pics, 3 front in-ceiling Klipsch speakers and 2 rear matched. The fronts are currently not in use, the rears are used as surround.
Would there be an added benefit, when I snag the new AVR, to run:
L, C, R
and also
High or wide? L, C, R
Basically would be running 8 speakers total. The in-ceiling speakers are literally directly above those B&W's.

Thoughts,

Cheers,

You could try using the in ceiling speakers above the fronts as height speakers and see if it sounds better or worse. The one in the center should not be used.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

I think the problem with the 707 is that it can't handle the impedance dips. The B&W 703s impedance drops down below 3 ohms and you will need an amp or receiver that can handle that. The Denon 4311 or Onkyo 3009 should both get the job done but you need to figure which has more features that you need. The 3009 has better video scaling form what I have heard. The 4311 has airplay and is capable of doing 11 channels if you add an amp. Look over both models see if anything stands out to you as being a must have feature and decide from there.

Thank you. You mention the 4311 or the 3009 'should' get the job done. Is this a should or will get the job done in regards to the impedance drops. You are probably spot on regarding the the drops, didn't think of that.

Without diving into the deep end of comparing, I would initially say that proper (better) video scaling is more important than airplay and 11 channels. Sure airplay would be nice, but I currently have the iPod dock for Onkyo - no idea if that will work with the newer models though, I'd hope so.

Thanks again for the advice. It really comes down to these two AVR's I think. Arcam / Rotel just seem to be behind the curve in terms of the latest bells and whistles.
And going towards Integra, well I might as well save a few $ and stick with Onkyo. I'd love to support the local shop, but some of their prices are just shocking.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I have kept up with the 4311 pretty well because that was what I wanted last year when I upgraded to the 3311 but it was just too far out of my price range. I have seen quite a few people with 4 ohm speakers that said the 4311 had plenty of power for them so I think you would be good. The 3009 is no slouch either but you may want to look at the owners thread just to be sure. I haven't kept up with the Onkyos as much because they have had some quality control issues in the last few years. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy one but its something to think about. The Denon is a little cheaper but the Onkyo is a year newer. I would recommend calling around to some authorized online dealers to see what price you can on the Denon 4311 because I've seen some people get really good deals form Electronics Expo by calling them. I'm not really sure who will have the best price on the 3009 but I bet they will drop some after the new models come out later this year.

I think you will happy with MultEQ XT32 especially if you go with 2 subs. That is the main reason I want XT32 is because I am using multiple subs and I've heard great reviews of what it can do with them.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again and will do. I'll start searching through the owners forums. Sounds like the MultiEQ XT32 is very nice indeed.

Considering my 707 is pushing those B&W's, I am confident that whatever newer, more robust AVR I do end up pulling the trigger on will be just fine.

Dialing EE to see what kind of pricing is available.

Cheers,
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page