Should i upgrade my power cord on my high current amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a used parasound HCA 2205a that weighs about 95 pounds and draws alot of current. I noticed that in my opinion it has a pretty skinny power cable that looks more like something you would see on a computer. I'm not sure if it's the original cord or not, but should i look into upgrading it? i see some on ebay for around $50 that seem to be much better. I';ve also read on many forums that upgrading the power cord is a waste of time??? Any advise? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 225
^^ If the amp is not clipping, it seems to be doing the job. But if the cord is not rated to at least the same as the current draw spec of the amp, would be good to find a better match.

Your amp states power consumption at 1500w. That's 12.5 amps at 120 V. 15A cords are readily available for $5-10. First, check to see the rating of the cord you're using. Just have a look at the end that plugs into the amp. The current rating will be molded into it.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Run the amp at a fairly high volume for 1/2 an hour or so. Then feel the power cord (don't forget both ends). If it feels warm to the touch anywhere, you might want to consider a better cord. Otherwise, save your money.

Mike
post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The wire gauge of the cord should be molded into the surface of the cord. It should be #14 or #12 for your amplifier. Many cords are 16 gauge, which is probably marginal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfins View Post

I just purchased a used parasound HCA 2205a that weighs about 95 pounds and draws alot of current. I noticed that in my opinion it has a pretty skinny power cable that looks more like something you would see on a computer. I'm not sure if it's the original cord or not, but should i look into upgrading it? i see some on ebay for around $50 that seem to be much better. I';ve also read on many forums that upgrading the power cord is a waste of time??? Any advise? Thanks!

post #5 of 5 Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

^^ If the amp is not clipping, it seems to be doing the job. But if the cord is not rated to at least the same as the current draw spec of the amp, would be good to find a better match.

Your amp states power consumption at 1500w. That's 12.5 amps at 120 V. 15A cords are readily available for $5-10. First, check to see the rating of the cord you're using. Just have a look at the end that plugs into the amp. The current rating will be molded into it.
Thanks for the info, however, the amp rating isn't molded on the plug. it seems to be fine though.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page