Size of receivers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone tell me what is the largest, as well as the most common, height size of new receivers? I'm going to build a flexy stand that will go underneath my TV and need to know what room to leave for a receiver. Most likely, the tallest item will be the center speaker, but I just wanted to make sure.

I've done a few searches on AVS for sizes of receivers, but I couldn't find anything quick and specific enough without going through lots of threads.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 06:30 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Can't speak for other brands, but Denon AVRs < $2000 are generally 6-7" in height. You'll want at least 3"-4" clearance on top for proper ventilation so the shelf height should be at least 10"-11". If fully enclosed you may also want to consider adding a small USB fan that can exhaust the warm air from a hole in the back of the stand.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...9_66063_66062_

Old bookmark, but most manufacturers websites list the dimensions.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Design it with center channel in vertical position. I am running my CC vertically and really enjoying the SQ.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by taolit View Post

Can someone tell me what is the largest, as well as the most common, height size of new receivers? I'm going to build a flexy stand that will go underneath my TV and need to know what room to leave for a receiver. Most likely, the tallest item will be the center speaker, but I just wanted to make sure.

I've done a few searches on AVS for sizes of receivers, but I couldn't find anything quick and specific enough without going through lots of threads.

Thanks

Hi taolit,

Please be double careful when planning room for your AVR. FYR, here's my experience:

As you can see I also planned room (2.5") for ventilation above my Denon:

But after about 1.5 years the side lamination of the shelf above the Denon started to loosen up although Denons are not notoriously known to be thermal power plants, nonetheless this is what happened on my side:

I also have shelves under the TV for other components; please feel free to visit my setup (link in my sig line) for a quick look-around.

Cheers, Feri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 PM

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_10420/H...ers.html?avf=N

click on a brand and then model then click details
post #7 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Hi taolit,

Please be double careful when planning room for your AVR. FYR, here's my experience:

As you can see I also planned room (2.5") for ventilation above my Denon:

But after about 1.5 years the side lamination of the shelf above the Denon started to loosen up although Denons are not notoriously known to be thermal power plants, nonetheless this is what happened on my side:

I also have shelves under the TV for other components; please feel free to visit my setup (link in my sig line) for a quick look-around.

I had my yamaha on a wood coffie table's bottom shelf for 10 years and never seen heat damage let alone anything like that

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #8 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the size and ventilation heights. I'll check out the links, too. I've decided my flexy stand will be 24 inches tall, with a bottom, middle, and the top for tv. It looks like the receiver and center speaker will go on the same middle shelf (for the 11" height), unless I design the stand with separations in the middle shelf for height variations. I'm going to use the steel rods and nuts idea and cover them with pvc pipe, that way the stand can be very open for ventilation.

Mogorf, that's amazing what that receiver did. I'll definitely keep that in mind, since I am considering using front attachments to the wood.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 11:34 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by taolit View Post

Mogorf, that's amazing what that receiver did. I'll definitely keep that in mind, since I am considering using front attachments to the wood.

Actually had nothing to do with the heat from the avrs in the picture. What happened most likely was that the contact cement was not properly applied, or there was dust in that spot. Basically poor workmanship that can be fixed with just a little effort. Definitely not caused by the heat of the avrs.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Or maybe they just used some sort of adhesive that melts when heated.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 12:04 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

Or maybe they just used some sort of adhesive that melts when heated.

That is usually what is on the cheaper veneers, but the heat from a avrs is not hot enough to cause what is being seen in the picture. If that was the case, the whole strip of veneer or the faces would have become unattached from the shelving.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page