My first A/V receiver that has failed - Onkyo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am now the sad owner of an Onkyo TX-SR805 that is missing it's front left channel. It was my first Onkyo purchase, and perhaps my last. I connected the left front speaker to the center channel with the same wire to confirm the wire was okay, and the speaker was okay. It's producing absolutely no sound. Just over 4 years old, makes me sad as I love this receiver. How much does something like this cost to fix? Should I just replace? Is it possible it's something simple? I can't really directly put down the time that it failed, though I do remember a day or two ago when we were watching a movie, a point when all of the speakers stopped making sound for just a second. I heard no pop, and there was no hot smell though or anything. I have taken very good care of this receiver, keeping the cabinet open, and I affixed a home theater cooling fan to the top that pulls the hot air out of it at all times when it's operating shortly after I purchased it in Dec 2007. Tried a factory reset and that didn't do it either. Just aggravating because it has never gotten worked too hard, never used the video processing (just pass thoruhg), and it's connected to Paradigm bookshelf speakers so it's never been worked much either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-03-2012, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Four years seems a little on the short side... Onkyo has been getting a really bad rep lately, which sucks cause they seem to offer the most for your money. You could try and call Onkyo's customer service to find out about a repair, but chances are it will be a huge hassle for you and likely not worth it.

My HK AVR8000 lasted 10 years before a channel died, which finally gave me an excuse to upgrade. No HDMI switching or auto EQ was making it feel ancient.

You can get a good deal on an AVR from http://www.accessories4less.com/ since they're refurbs, just add their 5 year warranty (its cheap) so you'll have some protection.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
This has been a common trend since 2003 actually. I bought two more onkyos after my first one died in early 2004. They all died about a year apart with 18 hr a day use. Yamahas have been rock solid for me. Denon's another option if you want audyssey room correction.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I had an 805 that died on me too. First the front display went out, then the HDMI ports and finally the subwoofer pre-out. I would contact Onkyo's customer service and see what they say. If it's too much hassle or more than you are willing to spend, then I'd say it's time to look into a replacement. I got a Yamaha RX-A700 and have been happy with it ever since.

Cliff
post #5 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 240
For a modern day Onkyo, 4 years is good.

I have a 606 that still works after almost 4 years, but the HDMI failed after about 18 months and shortly thereafter all video failed. I can still use it with toslink and still do. The only real problem is trying to do any kind of setup without an on screen menu.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 05:41 AM

Liked: 12
And to think ... I had a 70s vintage Pioneer Spec 1 pre-amp and Spec 4 power amp that lasted 30 years before giving them away to a friend (still working)

I guess they are making all the mass marketed audio equipment cheaper and cheaper now ... Somehow, I keep thinking that Chinese parts has alot to do with all this.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Four years seems a little on the short side... Onkyo has been getting a really bad rep lately, which sucks cause they seem to offer the most for your money. You could try and call Onkyo's customer service to find out about a repair, but chances are it will be a huge hassle for you and likely not worth it.

My HK AVR8000 lasted 10 years before a channel died, which finally gave me an excuse to upgrade. No HDMI switching or auto EQ was making it feel ancient.

You can get a good deal on an AVR from http://www.accessories4less.com/ since they're refurbs, just add their 5 year warranty (its cheap) so you'll have some protection.

I've passed on two allegedly inferior Kenwood and Pioneer receivers to friends that are 10 and 18 years old respectively and they are running beautifully. Really sucks.

Which brand would you go with on accessories4less? Denon or Marantz? That Denon AVR-2311CI is looking pretty appealing. It weighs about half of what this Onkyo weighs, so I'm guessing it's an inferior amp section. But it does have some features that the 805 is missing simply as it's newer.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Also, what in the world do you do with something like this? It works fine otherwise. Is it worth something to somebody else? It weighs 51 lbs, so shipping it seems unlikely. I'd think it would be worth something to somebody else who might be handy enough to repair and not have to pay for it like I would have to do.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flt Simulation View Post

And to think ... I had a 70s vintage Pioneer Spec 1 pre-amp and Spec 4 power amp that lasted 30 years before giving them away to a friend (still working).

The Spec 1, 2, 3 and 4 are highly desirable by vintage equipment enthusiasts and can fetch up to $1K each in mint condition. I don't know what you replaced the Spec 4 with but one with all new, premium low-ESR electrolytic caps, and other parts upgrades, with bias and DC offset adjusted to factory specifications will hold its own very well against modern mass market amps.

post #10 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by goksucats View Post

Also, what in the world do you do with something like this? It works fine otherwise. Is it worth something to somebody else? It weighs 51 lbs, so shipping it seems unlikely. I'd think it would be worth something to somebody else who might be handy enough to repair and not have to pay for it like I would have to do.

I'm assuming you were using the amp section in the AVR to power up all your speakers? You could always hook up a separate external amp to see if that solves the problem. If it does than you could either look into adding an amp for use here on out, or sell it on ebay "as is", stating that the internal amp for that channel may be blown etc, but using an external amp works fine.

Or you could just donate it to a local charity.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #11 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I've passed on two allegedly inferior Kenwood and Pioneer receivers to friends that are 10 and 18 years old respectively and they are running beautifully. Really sucks.

Which brand would you go with on accessories4less? Denon or Marantz? That Denon AVR-2311CI is looking pretty appealing. It weighs about half of what this Onkyo weighs, so I'm guessing it's an inferior amp section. But it does have some features that the 805 is missing simply as it's newer.

Narrow it down to the feature set yu want. Denons are nice and marantz are pretty stripped down.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

It depends on how much you're willing to spend of course. A 3311 would be more comparable to the Onkyo power wise, and it has MultEQ XT.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r/1.html#!more

If your dont care about a lot of the newer features, a 3310 is a lot cheaper

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html
post #13 of 13 Old 06-04-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

It depends on how much you're willing to spend of course. A 3311 would be more comparable to the Onkyo power wise, and it has MultEQ XT.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r/1.html#!more

If your dont care about a lot of the newer features, a 3310 is a lot cheaper

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

I lucked out. I remember I have a friend who works for a company that services these things. They are going to waive the bench fee for me so I can find out what it is and decide if it's worth repairing.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors