sony str dh520 no video on screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2012, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, have a sony str dh520 amp, connected dvd player and sat/cab box into their respective HDMI ports in the back, and one from the only HDMI out port to TV's HDMI input, i get sound through to 5:1 speaker system from dvd, and sound to front speakers from sat/cable box but no video on tv screen from either. Also sub from a panasonic h/theatre system doesnt work, but have been told i need a powered sub plugged into the specific rca sub out port at back of amp??? any help cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-20-2012, 09:59 AM

I have the same stereo receiver and I'm having sort of the same problem. I have my dish network cable box hooked into the GAME port on the receiver via HMDI and only the sound comes through. Actually it worked 2 times out of the blue where it played the video and sound out of the HDMI out port which is connected to projector. But then the next morning (this morning) I turned everything back on and the sound was there and the screen was black. I'm so pissed and don't know what to do. I've troubleshot everything i could think of...there's no rhyme or reason for it working/not working. any help would be appreciated.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-20-2012, 01:33 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
If you have the HDMI-CEC feature on the TV set to ON (eg. Anynet+, VieraLink, etc.) set it to OFF. You may also want to look in your owner's manual for the microprocessor reset procedure to return all settings to factory defaults and just start the setup again as HDMI connections should just work. Also, unlike HTIB receivers, stand alone AVRs are not designed to power a sub which is why you generally always want to keep a HTIB receiver/speakers/sub together and just sell the whole setup when upgrading to a better quality AVR and stand alone speakers. A "powered" sub would be plugged into the wall as it has it's own amp and is connected to the AVR via the sub pre-out (lower right corner jack on your Sony).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 7 Old 06-20-2012, 01:36 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Hiss View Post

I have the same stereo receiver and I'm having sort of the same problem. I have my dish network cable box hooked into the GAME port on the receiver via HMDI and only the sound comes through. Actually it worked 2 times out of the blue where it played the video and sound out of the HDMI out port which is connected to projector. But then the next morning (this morning) I turned everything back on and the sound was there and the screen was black. I'm so pissed and don't know what to do. I've troubleshot everything i could think of...there's no rhyme or reason for it working/not working. any help would be appreciated.

In your case, the box is likely experiencing an HDMI handshake issue which is best resolved by connecting the HDMI from the Dish box directly to the TV with optical cable from the Dish to the Sony.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #5 of 7 Old 09-21-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Hiss View Post

Hi Erik,

I have the same receiver and absolutely the same issue as you do.
Tried everything and still dont seem to find a solution.

Please let me know if you've managed fixing something.

Regards
MG
post #6 of 7 Old 09-21-2012, 07:21 AM
585-645-1006

Try the suggestion in post #4, otherwise, try powering on the components in this order .... TV, wait a few seconds for it to power ON, then AVR, wait a few seconds for it to power on, then Dish box.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-28-2014, 08:38 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try the suggestion in post #4, otherwise, try powering on the components in this order .... TV, wait a few seconds for it to power ON, then AVR, wait a few seconds for it to power on, then Dish box.
I had the same issue with my STRDH550 receiver. It is new and was working fine and then one day the video to the TV (Samsung plasma) went out. I found the following procedure on the Sony site and it worked for my situation--video from receiver to TV was restored. It was an HDMI handshake issue. This wasn't in the FAQs for the receiver--I found it by doing a search on the Sony web site. Odd that it wouldn't be in the FAQ since these Sony receivers appear to have a lot of issues with the HDMI handshake.

How to establish an HDMI connection between a TV and other device.
Article ID: 36501 | Last Updated: 07/03/2014
Follow the steps below if the HDMI® connection between your TV and other device is not working.
  1. Make sure both the TV and other device are turned on.
  2. While turned on, unplug the power cords for the TV and device from the electrical outlet.
  3. Disconnect the HDMI cables from the TV and other product.
  4. Wait 60 seconds.
  5. While the HDMI cables are disconnected, plug the power cords back into the electrical outlet.
  6. Turn on the TV.
  7. Re-connect the HDMI cables.
  8. Turn on the HDMI-connected product.
The TV should now detect the HDMI signal from the connected device and operate normally. If there is still a problem, disconnect the HDMI cable from both products and then reconnect it in the opposite direction. In some situations this has been reported to resolve connection issues.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36501/p/41901,43145,92877,92878/c/65,66/kw/reset%20HDMI%20strdh550
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors