Thinking of selling my Sunfire Cinema Grand 200x5 for a new 200x7 amp. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I own a first generation Sunfire Cinema Grand. I love it and it has been a great amplifier. Currently it powers a Monitor Audio Gold GX300 / GXC350 speaker setup. I am thinking about going 7 channel. If I do I want something at least as capable and as good sounding as my current Sunfire Cinema Grand 200x5. I am considering a new / used Sunfire 200x7 model or might consider some other brand like maybe Outlaw. So two questions, what options of high quality but not budget busting price do you see for a 200w (or greater) x 7 channel amp with balanced (XLR) inputs out there? Also anyone interested in buying a Sunfire amp?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Does nobody have some amp ideas for me? Thanks.
post #3 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 09:40 AM

Liked: 10
Why not just add a new 2 channel amp?

Emotivas seem to get a lot of love on the forums, I'm thinking of getting one myself.

Their 2 channel amp is 300 wpc, or you could get their 3 channel amp. Not sure which of their amps have xlr inputs, but many of them do.

Of course, you could also add two mono-block amps to fill out to 7 channels. Then you'd have some killer amps for stereo-only listening, if you do much of that.

Mike
post #4 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

I want one amp with 7 channels and balanced inputs. An additional amp or amps is not an option. I like the Emotiva but there is no 7 channel version that I saw.
post #5 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I have an ATI 2007. It is the cleanest sounding and most dynamic amp I've ever heard. The 3000 series will take a dedicated 20 amp outlet. The Outlaw takes 2 15 amp.

I went to the ATI facility here in LA. They really do build the amps by hand on rows of work benches. Lovely people. Met the men who built my amp.

They build amps for Lexicon, Cary, Outlaw and a number of other brands. They claim that their amps are a little different than the ones they make for Outlaw. You can search ATI vs, Outlaw and find some data on that.

Below is the link to their website. It say "B" stock but the amps are new in the box. I think they have to be careful about competing with their clients.

http://www.classicaudioparts.com/index.php/amplifiers/ati-at3007-seven-channel-x-300-watt-amplifier-b-stock-120-v.html

Good luck on your search. By the way....those stupid ugly litle bars on the ATI? Hated them until they came in handy 3-4 times when I had to move the amp. Now I'm glad their there.
post #6 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post

I own a first generation Sunfire Cinema Grand. I love it and it has been a great amplifier. Currently it powers a Monitor Audio Gold GX300 / GXC350 speaker setup. I am thinking about going 7 channel. If I do I want something at least as capable and as good sounding as my current Sunfire Cinema Grand 200x5. I am considering a new / used Sunfire 200x7 model or might consider some other brand like maybe Outlaw. So two questions, what options of high quality but not budget busting price do you see for a 200w (or greater) x 7 channel amp with balanced (XLR) inputs out there? Also anyone interested in buying a Sunfire amp?
Your current amp is worth ~$650/700. How much additional do you want to kick in? Do you need as much power? More?

B.
post #7 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Same power needs. More is not needed. Price? It depends but I'm not unlimited in funds so price/performance balance would be good. I'm considering the 7 channel Sunfre, the Outlaw 7 channel sounds fine also. Don't know what ATI goes for but I'm going to look them up.
post #8 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Have you considered a class D amp such as Wyred4sound or d-sonic?
They are much more efficient, usually smaller and lighter with plenty of power. Both companies allow you to customize them, you can put what power you need in each channel so you can go with less in the surrounds where you don't really need it. If I had to replace my Parasound 5 channel amp right now that's what I'd get.
post #9 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

Have you considered a class D amp such as Wyred4sound or d-sonic?
They are much more efficient, usually smaller and lighter with plenty of power. Both companies allow you to customize them, you can put what power you need in each channel so you can go with less in the surrounds where you don't really need it. If I had to replace my Parasound 5 channel amp right now that's what I'd get.

I'm not too familiar with those amp companies. How is the sound quality? I know that is the biggest complaint I read on Class D amps. I'm intrigued with the tech as I like a cool running amp. (Like my Sunfire).
post #10 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

The Wyred 4 sound amps get great reviews. The newer class D modules have been gaining acceptance among audiophiles.
post #11 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

What Gary. You don't like my ATI input?
post #12 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the ATI input. I guess that didn't come through. I just need to look at the price and more importantly listen to them if possible. Your ATI input informed me of ATI's OEM business that I didn't know of. (Outlaw, etc.)
post #13 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, well think about that the next time you're being seduced by another pretty face(plate). smile.gif
post #14 of 23 Old 06-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Señor Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I went from a Sunfire 7/400 (I owned several Sunfires) to the Wyred 4 Sound 7channel (500wpc @8ohms for the LCR and 250 wpc for the 4 surround channels) . I'd say those amps are comparable with the Wyred being a bit more efficient and having even power (my speakers are 4ohm). It is going to cost you to move up to 7 channels and the sonic benefits will be negligible IMHO.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #15 of 23 Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Same power needs. More is not needed. Price? It depends but I'm not unlimited in funds so price/performance balance would be good. I'm considering the 7 channel Sunfre, the Outlaw 7 channel sounds fine also. Don't know what ATI goes for but I'm going to look them up.
Are you looking new or used? How much are those you are looking at?

FYI...I had a Sunfire Cinema Grand and after auditioning a few different amps went to an ATI. The drawback of the ATI is size, weight and appearance.

B.
post #16 of 23 Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

I'm open to new & used. Used I want in fairly flawless shape, etc. ATI does look like a big amp. I'm curious if it is a bit of a space heater. I tried an Adcom before buying the Sunfire and it would burn your skin at idle.
post #17 of 23 Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Nice looking car by the way Gary. Have you even been to Harris Hill Road? I was up there a few weeks ago with Longhorn PCA.
post #18 of 23 Old 06-27-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I've had the Supra (Turbo of course) for a little over 10 years. I had an invite to go to HHR once but couldn't make it. I need to go there some day. Not now, it's too hot to want to run a car around a track even though it is so much fun. I've done a couple of track days and they were so much fun. Too many expensive hobbies! smile.gif
post #19 of 23 Old 06-27-2012, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I'm open to new & used. Used I want in fairly flawless shape, etc. ATI does look like a big amp. I'm curious if it is a bit of a space heater. I tried an Adcom before buying the Sunfire and it would burn your skin at idle.

I own two ATI 2000 series amps and they run very cool for being a class A/B design. Even after a double feature at near reference levels they barley even feel warm. Price wise I think these should fall just above the price of the Outlaw and cheaper than the Sunfire. The 3000 series are much taller than your Sunfire but the 2000 series would be close to the same size as the Sunfire.
post #20 of 23 Old 06-27-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

The ATI 2000 series is probably where I would go in the ATI lineup. I have Monitor Audio Gold GX300 & GXC350 setup in the front which recomends up to 150-200w RMS. I will later complete the GX setup with more GX tower speaker goodness for the rear. smile.gif
post #21 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 PM

I'm six months late but did you get your 7 channel amp and are happy with it? Did you sell the Sunfire? Just curious as I didn't read the end of the story.

Regards,
Nick
post #22 of 23 Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

No update. No changes have been made yet.
post #23 of 23 Old 01-05-2013, 01:10 PM

do you have the sunfire cinema grand for sale still? If so can you please send me some pictures and tell me a little about? You can send the info to vicoashley@gmail.com. Thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page