denon 2112 audy...question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
going to set up my system soon but when i caliberate it using the denon audyess. Do i do it with both subs connected with a y-

splitter because i'am going to run a dual sub system.

Or do i do it with only 1 sub connected and when its complete do i add the second sub later?

I'am assuming that i should leave the knob in the middle.

Any help will be appreciated as, thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 08:24 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
You'll want to connect the "Y" splitter to the sub preout and then to each of the subs prior to running AUTO SETUP with the volume on both subs set to 12 o'clock.

Also, please review the Audyssey 101 guide linked in my sig as well as the Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig as well.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 405
12 o'clock is probably too high. try setting them at 10 o'clock instead. On both my systems paired with Denon receivers I ended up having the sub set at 10 o'clock.

Obviously this depends on your room size too but I'd think with dual subs the volume would probably need to be lower.

Experiment a little and you'll find the best setting.

Afro GT
post #4 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 AM
585-645-1006

With two subs, the sub trim will normally be at least 3-5db hotter, so although 12 o'clock is likely too high, it's the recommended setting to start AUTO SETUP using as it can always be adjusted down as necessary.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #5 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal swagger View Post

Do i do it with both subs connected with a y-splitter because i'am going to run a dual sub system.
I recommend connecting (just) one and adjusting its level until it's -3 (or so). Then disconnect that sub and connect the other. Run Audyssey again and adjust until the second sub's level matches the first. Finally connect both and go from there... you want minus numbers as when both are firing you'll be increasing the level.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I recommend connecting (just) one and adjusting its level until it's -3 (or so). Then disconnect that sub and connect the other. Run Audyssey again and adjust until the second sub's level matches the first. Finally connect both and go from there... you want minus numbers as when both are firing you'll be increasing the level.

This is the way to do it if you don't have an SPL meter. You can still do it this way if you have an SPL meter and check the results but for me it was not as accurate as using a spl meter. I plugged in 1 sub and measured its volume with the spl meter. Then I plugged in the second sub by itself and adjusted it till it was at the same volume as the first. When I say adjusted the sub I am talking about the volume control on the back of the sub. Once both subs are level matched I ran audyssey with both subs plugged in. Just make sure you set the subs pretty low because I ended up with audyssey setting the sub channel to -9. There is not much I can do because one sub is set to 2 out of 10 and the other is set to 2.5 out of 10 so they really can’t go much lower.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
thanks

alot of good info here.

I was considering placing one in the front and the other towards the rear so that the viewing area would be engolfed and the bass be felt. From what i've read it appears that when dual subs are

being ran, there either placed in pairs in the front or the rear. Is there any logic to this or is it just perosnal taste.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 01:56 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Whether you place them on either side of the TV or one front/one back .... ideally you'll want to place them equidistant from the main listening position (ie. mic #1).

post #9 of 10 Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

You can still do it this way if you have an SPL meter and check the results but for me it was not as accurate as using a spl meter.
I believe I used to use the SPL meter but since the receiver is going to be EQing the subs I figured why not trust them in the first place. In my dedicated room I have used a dozen or so receivers over the years and I can tell you the level (differences) every receiver will come up with virtually every time. It doesn't seem like much of a challenge.. and probably much more accurate than me being involved. smile.gif Does the EQ process use different test tones versus manually... any clue which would be more accurate for all frequencies...
post #10 of 10 Old 06-07-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I believe I used to use the SPL meter but since the receiver is going to be EQing the subs I figured why not trust them in the first place. In my dedicated room I have used a dozen or so receivers over the years and I can tell you the level (differences) every receiver will come up with virtually every time. It doesn't seem like much of a challenge.. and probably much more accurate than me being involved. smile.gif Does the EQ process use different test tones versus manually... any clue which would be more accurate for all frequencies...

The Audyssey Eq system uses the chirps where manually you would use the pink noise from the channel level menu. I also tried using a bass disc but it gets a lot more complicated that way. I even tried using individual frequencies but there was too much of a variation. The two subs could be matched at 40 hz and be off at 60 hz so I just went back to using the pink noise. I don't know which one would really be more accurate but the bass didn’t seem right after just using audyssey which is why I checked it manually. I think XT32 with subeq ht would do a better job with 2 subs than XT did running one at a time. It also could have been an error on my part but I was pretty sure I matched both to the same level. Either way works but for me the matching with the spl meter and then running audyssey gave me better sound than just using Audyssey.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page