Denon Refurbished? Worth the risk to get a higher end 2012? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's been about a year since this question was asked, so I thought I'd ask again to see if the opinions have changed. What are your thoughts on a Denon Refurbished unit?

To get a little more specific, I found a great deal on a refurbished 3312 and also a great deal on a new 2312. The price is only $50 cheaper for the 2312 but the big difference in warranty has me a little worried. The warranty for the 2312 is 3 yrs and the warrant on the 3312 is 90 days. Would you guys take the risk on the warranty and get the 3312?

The other school of thought might be to purchase a SquareTrade warrant for the 3312, but that adds to the total cost of the unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-06-2012, 01:50 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 1495
^^
Depends on where you buy it from .... if you purchase a refurb from either Accessories4Less, Dakmart, or eCost, the warranty is 1 year. Nothing wrong with buying a refurb if it's a good deal less than the new unit due to reduced warranty.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 11:55 AM

Liked: 801
I've purchased many referbs with no problems. No guarantee that will be your experience.

The thinking on my part goes like this, even a new item, right out of the box can fail to light and even a new item out of the box, can fail to light a year down the road. No matter what door you choose, new/used or referb, it's always a crap shoot and based on a thousand rolls, the odds are in the favor of the house that it will fail outside the warranty period.

Remember, a warranty is nothing more than a consumer/manufacture bet. You're betting the item will fail inside the warranty period and the manufacture is betting it will fail outside the warranty period.

The point, a referb has had the problem corrected and now the manufacture has to take the hit to get rid of this shelf stuffer to your fiscal gain.

FWIW, the rule of thumb is to run the item for three days straight. Plug it in, turn it on and forget-about-it. Doing this sort of stress related burn-in test is a good way to weed out bad parts. If not better, most places give you a ninety day warranty on referbs. The odds are, a problem is going show itself within those ninety days, just as it will with a NIB unit.

Hope the above helps give you insight to your question.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-06-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
cant speak for others,

2 for 2,

AVR3312ci
AVR2112ci

Both from ecost.

AVR4311ci, (New from ee)

post #5 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 AM

The problem the unit was returned for may be an occasional problem. If the problem did not surface when it came on the bench in a short time, they boxed it up ready for sale. I would NOT buy it. Don't cheap out. Over the life of the unit the difference in price will be peanuts.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 AM

While I have had some good luck with refurbs, I've also had others that crapped out sooner than equipment I purchased new. As mentioned, it's a dice roll. I don't buy one unless it is at a substantial discount, 50% appeals to me the most. For fifty lousy bucks I'd take a pass.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossTTU View Post

It's been about a year since this question was asked, so I thought I'd ask again to see if the opinions have changed. What are your thoughts on a Denon Refurbished unit?
To get a little more specific, I found a great deal on a refurbished 3312 and also a great deal on a new 2312. The price is only $50 cheaper for the 2312 but the big difference in warranty has me a little worried. The warranty for the 2312 is 3 yrs and the warrant on the 3312 is 90 days. Would you guys take the risk on the warranty and get the 3312?
The other school of thought might be to purchase a SquareTrade warrant for the 3312, but that adds to the total cost of the unit.

Compare the feature list on both receivers, and decide if the additional features the 3312 has over the 2312 are worth the price difference of $50 + cost of a 3yr extended warranty from SquareTrade, or some other similar warranty. If not, just save the money and go with the 2312 for the built-in 3-yr warranty.
Quote:
[Disclosure]: I recently bought a refurbished 3313 receiver from Accessories4Less and I was considering that against a new 3313 for around $900 on eBay, or a lower model Marantz SR-x006 from last year. Ultimately, the price of the refurb 3313 from an authorized Denon dealer, when bought with an Amex (automatic extension of manufacturer warranty by an additional year) sealed the deal for me. The tradeoff of a single year of warranty at the end of my second year of ownership was worth taking a chance with the price savings on a refurbished receiver. I saved at least $200-$400 by going this route.

I also look at it from the angle that the less money I spend now, will make me feel that much less guilty if I feel the itch to upgrade a couple of years down the road if some new shiny piece of technology gets added to the receivers. Looking at the specs of both receivers, if the additional HDMI output, third source and zone support, 20W/ch power and 7.2ch pre-outs are absolutely needed, for you, the 3312 is your receiver. If you don't use those features, the 2312 is equally capable, and I'd go with that. Just my take on the situation, and YMMV.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - 2312ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page