post #31 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunamijhoe View Post

TX-NR906,no recall on this model,no help from onkyo,no help whatsoever. Fact, HDMI board sucks balls,FACT amp gets so hot i burn my hands when touching it,i have to use fan to cool it,but before i found that out,the damage was done. Fact, the capacitors are underrated on the HDMI board comapared to the heat it gives out,which is why people change the capacitors for 105 degree ones,and get their hdmi boards working again,this just did not work on mine.

After all these issues and your apparent distaste for Onkyo you go and order another one wink.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Well,then in all your wisdom please enlighten me as to why my HDMI switching gradually got worse on a unit that stood on top of a table with 1,5 meters of air in every direction,except down ofcourse?
Please don´t insult me like i am an idiot who never had an amp before,or don´t read the manual. You think i would gripe here if this was a user error,please.
I have gone against my better judgement in ordering another onkyo,i just hope this one wll last as long as my other onkyos have,and i have had a lot of onkyo products over the last 25 years (casette decks,power amps,surround amps, cd players, dual mono blocks,recievers),not one faulty unit until now,and all have been sold on and to my knowledge the surround amp still plays excellent and is still in use by the dude who bought it,it must be at least 15 years old now.
One question though, can i pre out the fronts from the 3009 to the 906 and then bi-amp the 906 to drive my B&W 683?

Best if you use your 906 as just an amp now considering the problems with the HDMI. Use the pre outs of the new receiver into the multi ch connections on the back of the 906. Biamp the front speakers like you suggested. This should give enough power so they don't clip.

AVR: Onkyo 3009...Onkyo 609 (Old)
Amp: QSC GX5 (powering RTi A7s) & GX3 (powering CSi3)

Speakers:
Polk Audio CSi3 (Center)...CS1 (Old)
Polk Audio RTi A7 (Fronts)...Monitor 60 (old)
Polk Audio OWM 5 (Surrounds)

Sub: SVS PC12-Plus...BIC America PL-200(Old)
post #33 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

After all these issues and your apparent distaste for Onkyo you go and order another one wink.gif.
Bill

Never said i had a distaste,quite the opposite,i am quite fond of onkyo, however in the case of these bad hdmi boards,and other recent problems,i find their lack of service a bit disconcerting.

Reason for buying a new onkyo is the good reviews it has gotten both from here and other places, and i REALLY like the sound of onkyo,and the price vs features, you get a lot for your money, i just hope i won´t get another dud,as it would then have been cheaper to buy the Denon AVC-A1HD ;-)
post #34 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Never said i had a distaste,quite the opposite,i am quite fond of onkyo, however in the case of these bad hdmi boards,and other recent problems,i find their lack of service a bit disconcerting.
Reason for buying a new onkyo is the good reviews it has gotten both from here and other places, and i REALLY like the sound of onkyo,and the price vs features, you get a lot for your money, i just hope i won´t get another dud,as it would then have been cheaper to buy the Denon AVC-A1HD ;-)

The 4311 is a good alternative.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #35 of 40 Old 06-09-2012, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Its not just Onkyo...
Other AVR brands including Yamaha, Denon and Harman/Kardon mention the same primary point....
AVRs need room to breathe especially the latest platforms which have less heat sinking area due to material cost cutbacks...
The bottom line is how hard is the AVR's amplifiers being pushed, if driving 4 Ohm low sensitivity loudspeakers or playing rock music or a large listening room..
All of these can/will raise an AVR's heat output..
And raised internal AVR temepertaures will definitely shorten an AVR's life and reliability..
In our AV install biz, if we sell/install an AVR in a system that fails its costs us extra $ to send a tech back out with a replacement. As mentioned in my other posts we have installed well over 100 Onkyo AVRs without this type of failure.. So we must be doing something rite.. cool.gif
Just my $0.02.. wink.gif

I agree that it's recommended for all AVR's to have adequate ventilation, but Onkyo shouldn't have such high failure rates in conditions that would be expected from many users. It would analogous to a car manufacturer recommending oil changes every 3k miles and if you wait for 4k, you'll suffer engine failure. This may be OK for an expensive exotic car, but if ford did this, it would be considered a problem with the car, not with the driver.
post #36 of 40 Old 06-09-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I agree that it's recommended for all AVR's to have adequate ventilation, but Onkyo shouldn't have such high failure rates in conditions that would be expected from many users. It would analogous to a car manufacturer recommending oil changes every 3k miles and if you wait for 4k, you'll suffer engine failure. This may be OK for an expensive exotic car, but if ford did this, it would be considered a problem with the car, not with the driver.

Keep in mind...
Onkyo and HK both bias their amplifiers high to minimze X-over distortion, doing this causes the output devices to be partially ON..
Resulting in higher internal temperatures from the output stage even if no signal is being processed. Though car analogies are interesting for a car to operate reliabily, proper and timely care has to be done to assure reliability..
Especially if the brand recommends these.

For example, in our 9 second 150 MPH drag race car we change the oil after every run..
But then again our 850HP race engine that we have over $65K invested has lasted through 3 seasons and over 115 runs..

Bottom line...
IMHO..
If the AVR brand issues specific warnings and instructions for the user to heed while setting up the system there has to be a significant reason. Otherwise it is just more useless, hot air..

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #37 of 40 Old 06-09-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeyayo50 View Post

Best if you use your 906 as just an amp now considering the problems with the HDMI. Use the pre outs of the new receiver into the multi ch connections on the back of the 906. Biamp the front speakers like you suggested. This should give enough power so they don't clip.

That will work? How exactly would the setup be on the 906 so it only uses the amps? Do i need to run it in pure mode/direct mode,and which input selector do i use?
post #38 of 40 Old 06-09-2012, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Many of the reported issues with HDMI and Onkyo AVRs are related to improper installation....
Even though this is pointed out in the Operation Manual.
An Onkyo AVR requires at least 3-4 " of free air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover to ventilate since its amplifiers are biased high..
We have installed well over a 100 Onkyo AVRs and only had 2 failures, and both of these were not HDMI related..
Just my $0.02.. wink.gif

+1

Look at this disaster waiting to happen.
post #39 of 40 Old 06-09-2012, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

That will work? How exactly would the setup be on the 906 so it only uses the amps? Do i need to run it in pure mode/direct mode,and which input selector do i use?

You would use the direct mode or stereo mode. From looking at the back of the unit it looks like there is a Multi Ch selector for those inputs.

Edit:
It looks like you have to assign the multi channel input to one of the current inputs. You can assign it to the DVD input for example.

AVR: Onkyo 3009...Onkyo 609 (Old)
Amp: QSC GX5 (powering RTi A7s) & GX3 (powering CSi3)

Speakers:
Polk Audio CSi3 (Center)...CS1 (Old)
Polk Audio RTi A7 (Fronts)...Monitor 60 (old)
Polk Audio OWM 5 (Surrounds)

Sub: SVS PC12-Plus...BIC America PL-200(Old)
post #40 of 40 Old 06-09-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

+1
Look at this disaster waiting to happen.

Nice system! What is that on top of your Onkyo?

Bill

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page