Does new onkyos suffer from hdmi problems? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since my 906 have bought the bullet (HDMI does not work) i would like to know if the new onkyos have the same problem as the older ones with the hdmi switching problem? Or should i stay away from onkyo all together?

HDMI repair has been tried,did not work.

I am probably gonna have to brick my 2 year old 906 for a new one unless i can get a new hdmi board,which seems unlikely.

If not onkyo,then what should i get? I need a really powerful amp to drive my B&W 683,and even the onkyo 906 could have problems when i played at high volume.

Unit should be no more than 3000$ max,and have 7.1 and 2 subwoofer out

Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

a denon 4311 would cost less than half your budget and would do the job for you.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
a denon 4311 would cost less than half your budget and would do the job for you.

You sure about that? it weighs a lot less than my onkyo,which means less power.

I had a Denon AVC-A1D before the onkyo,and that unit could NOT keep my B&W´s playing,it kept clipping and shutting off at high volume.

I know denon is a good brand,but is it powerfull enough?
post #4 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunamijhoe View Post

You sure about that? it weighs a lot less than my onkyo,which means less power.
I had a Denon AVC-A1D before the onkyo,and that unit could NOT keep my B&W´s playing,it kept clipping and shutting off at high volume.
I know denon is a good brand,but is it powerfull enough?

The 4311 is rated at 140 wpc and it can play very loud. Put some sand bags on top of the Denon. That will make it more powerful.
nlpearman likes this.
post #5 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

lol, or a bag of lead shot inide of it... tongue.gif

op, how big is your room? those speakers aren't that difficult to drive...

if you are trying to drive them to reference levels in a large room though, you've got the wrong speakers....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #6 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Could any of you please refrain from making dumb comments,and maybe answer my questions seriously?

B&W 683 are notorious for requiring powerful amps to be free of clipping. As i said,my old AVC-A1D (140w per channel also) could NOT Drive them,reason being the speakers have a tendancy to dip below 4 ohms,sometimes to 2 or 3 ohms,which my amps cant cope with apparently.

I just want to make sure the denon won´t shut off if i play at high volumes for extended perioeds of time.

Remember,it also has to drive the other speakers which are 4xB&W DS3, 1xB&W HTM61, 2xparadigm 12" active subwoofers
post #7 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

you didn't answer the question I asked....

the avr isn't driving your active subwoofers....

no, they have a mythology that they are difficult to drive, they really aren't....

good luck...

- chris

post #8 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

no, they have a mythology that they are difficult to drive, they really aren't....
good luck...

OK,then why does 2 different amps have problems with these speakers? My room is 42m2 (square meters),and reference lvl is 0db right? If so,it all depends on the software i play
post #9 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Buy the Denon 4311 or the Onkyo 818 and then spend $1,700 on a Emotiva XPA-5 200watts x 5 and a XPA-2 300watts x 2.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.
My small dedicated theater.
post #10 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD View Post

Buy the Denon 4311 or the Onkyo 818 and then spend $1,700 on a Emotiva XPA-5 200watts x 5 and a XPA-2 300watts x 2.

Well, i am a bit concerned about the HDMI problems of onkyo recievers, seems the 616 suffers from hdmi problems, it might be safe to say the 818 will have same problems,or?

I am gonna go in to the store tomorrow to have a listen to the Denon
post #11 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

good luck...

OK,then why does 2 different amps have problems with these speakers? My room is 42m2 (square meters) and reference lvl is 0db right? If so,it all depends on the software i play

because you are using the wrong speakers for the job...

let's say you put 100 honest watts (which the 4311 will give you to all the channels continuous, and handle any impedance dips)... double that to 200 (maximum recommended for your speakers) and you gain 3db... not much....

if you are trying to hit reference in that room, you need different speakers, not "more amplification"... applying "more amplification" to those speakers will merely cause you to end up buying new speakers anyway...

- chris

post #12 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You should look into a pre amp and amp system.
You should also look into pro amps like the D class XLS crowns.
The crown pro amps will out live your speakers and you can crank it up with no fear...
With $3k at hand you should have no problems finding what you need....
Onkyo does have its QC issues and it will be years before anyone feels good about buying onkyo...
But that doesn't mean you can't get a perfect onkyo unit, you just need to have luck on your side...
post #13 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

because you are using the wrong speakers for the job...
let's say you put 100 honest watts (which the 4311 will give you to all the channels continuous, and handle any impedance dips)... double that to 200 (maximum recommended for your speakers) and you gain 3db... not much....
if you are trying to hit reference in that room, you need different speakers, not "more amplification"... applying "more amplification" to those speakers will merely cause you to end up buying new speakers anyway...

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am not trying to reach any specific level,i am trying to watch my blurays without any clipping or shutoff of the amp. these speakers could play very loud in the store,so why cant i? I even have the recommended amps they said would do the job,but it doesn´t.

Anyhow,what i really want to know is if one can rely on the new onkyo recievers 818/3009/5009 in terms of hdmi issues? Or is Denon the more safe bet?

Also,i am inclined to bypass onkyo alltogether as i just ended up with a 2100$ brick as my onkyo tx-nr906 hdmi board is finished,and that amp is only 2,5 years old
post #14 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

ok... good luck....

- chris

post #15 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 04:52 PM

Theres nothing wrong with the Onkyo's

I sell both Onkyo and Dennon and last year I put in more Onkyos then Denon. I havent had any problems with HDMI switching. I have only had one 609 have issues with its power supply as there was supposidly a change in produciton on some part in the power supply on a certain batch that was quicky found out to be bad and later taken care of. It was an isolated problem by serial number so it was easily tracked and authorized dealers were notified.

Onkyo took care of the bad receiver for us andn thats that. Since then not a single problem so yea, Onkyo is a great receiver. You may be having problems due to how its hooked up. You say you have amps as well as the receiver so I have my thoughts on how it may be hooked up.

You dont need to spend 1700 on emotive amps.....I agree pro amps will be the bset way to spend money on amps unless you like those "fancey" amps then knock your self out.
post #16 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
Over the past 5 years, I have owned an Onkyo TX-SR805, TX-SR875, TX-NR3007 and currently a TX-NR3008. Only the 3007 had any sort of issues and were indeed HDMI related. It was the only one of the 4 that was a B-Stock or Refurbished AVR and the HDMI issue was so bad that Onkyo USA replaced it with an A-Stock 3008. Onkyo did redesign the HDMI Boards for x07 AVR's that needed replacement HDMI Boards and this redesign was incorporated on the x08 going forward. While many were affected with the Serial Cable/IDE Cable failure with some x08 Series, there have not been many with HDMI Board Failures with the x08's or further issues once the Serial Cable has been replaced. Moreover, I sold both the 805 and 875 to friends who live within 10 miles of me and both are still going strong and the 3008 has been great so far.

While I really do think Onkyo has the QC on HDMI Boards under control now. Given the high price of replacement for HDMI Boards, it only makes sense that Onkyo would be proactive in rectifying prior issues. On the whole the x09 Series has been quite well received by Owners and I think this will carry over to the new Series. As the x09's were the first redesign of the Industrial Design and many other internal changes, it does appear that they do not run as hot as prior Series. It is pretty crazy that my former TX-SR805 looks almost identical to my 3 Series newer TX-NR3008.

I realize that many here have had experiences with Onkyo that makes them never want to purchase another one and convey this sentiment to others, all I can say is my experience has been quite positive on the whole.
I do wish Onkyo still manufactured their more expensive AVR's in Japan, but even Denon has moved all new production of AVR's to China with the AVR-4311CI being the last upscale Denon AVR released that is Made in Japan. Every story and Thread I have read notes that the replacement AVR-4313 will be Made in China. I honestly cannot think of a Japanese AVR'SSP Brand that is continuing to make their AVR's in Japan. It only makes sense given how cutthroat the AVR Marketplace is with the prices remaining quite stable while things like HDMI, RoomEQ, and countless new Codecs have been released and require Licencing Fees. Sadly to keep prices unchanged, it is the Amplifier Stage that has been the most common area where cuts have been made. Be it smaller Power Transformers, less Filter Capacitance,and a reduction in Heat Sinks,
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #17 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
^^^^^^^
If you got the 3007 I got, you would be 100% happy with onkyo !!!
I bet if more onkyo owners posted how trouble free there onkyo avrs are, it would make the failures look insignificant by compare in %.
But few say good things shortly after all the hype of the units release....Only the negatives go on and on...
post #18 of 40 Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic C View Post

Theres nothing wrong with the Onkyo's
I sell both Onkyo and Dennon and last year I put in more Onkyos then Denon. I havent had any problems with HDMI switching. I have only had one 609 have issues with its power supply as there was supposidly a change in produciton on some part in the power supply on a certain batch that was quicky found out to be bad and later taken care of. It was an isolated problem by serial number so it was easily tracked and authorized dealers were notified.
Onkyo took care of the bad receiver for us andn thats that. Since then not a single problem so yea, Onkyo is a great receiver. You may be having problems due to how its hooked up. You say you have amps as well as the receiver so I have my thoughts on how it may be hooked up.
You dont need to spend 1700 on emotive amps.....I agree pro amps will be the bset way to spend money on amps unless you like those "fancey" amps then knock your self out.

Hello,
There was a Recall for x09 Series built in November, December 2011, and January 2012. I believe it was a defective Transistor Board behind the Recall. Onkyo did act rapidly in contacting their Dealer Network and getting the AVR's built from this period taken out of Dealer Inventory and for customers who had an affected AVR promptly issued Shipping Labels and Replacement Boxes. This was for those who could not return their AVR from their Dealer. Onkyo did run out of Replacement Boxes which did slow down turnaround, but this is decidedly in the Rear View Mirror.
Cheers,
JJ

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #19 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
Over the past 5 years, I have owned an Onkyo TX-SR805, TX-SR875, TX-NR3007 and currently a TX-NR3008. Only the 3007 had any sort of issues and were indeed HDMI related. It was the only one of the 4 that was a B-Stock or Refurbished AVR and the HDMI issue was so bad that Onkyo USA replaced it with an A-Stock 3008. Onkyo did redesign the HDMI Boards for x07 AVR's that needed replacement HDMI Boards and this redesign was incorporated on the x08 going forward. While many were affected with the Serial Cable/IDE Cable failure with some x08 Series, there have not been many with HDMI Board Failures with the x08's or further issues once the Serial Cable has been replaced. Moreover, I sold both the 805 and 875 to friends who live within 10 miles of me and both are still going strong and the 3008 has been great so far.
While I really do think Onkyo has the QC on HDMI Boards under control now. Given the high price of replacement for HDMI Boards, it only makes sense that Onkyo would be proactive in rectifying prior issues. On the whole the x09 Series has been quite well received by Owners and I think this will carry over to the new Series. As the x09's were the first redesign of the Industrial Design and many other internal changes, it does appear that they do not run as hot as prior Series. It is pretty crazy that my former TX-SR805 looks almost identical to my 3 Series newer TX-NR3008.
I realize that many here have had experiences with Onkyo that makes them never want to purchase another one and convey this sentiment to others, all I can say is my experience has been quite positive on the whole.
I do wish Onkyo still manufactured their more expensive AVR's in Japan, but even Denon has moved all new production of AVR's to China with the AVR-4311CI being the last upscale Denon AVR released that is Made in Japan. Every story and Thread I have read notes that the replacement AVR-4313 will be Made in China. I honestly cannot think of a Japanese AVR'SSP Brand that is continuing to make their AVR's in Japan. It only makes sense given how cutthroat the AVR Marketplace is with the prices remaining quite stable while things like HDMI, RoomEQ, and countless new Codecs have been released and require Licencing Fees. Sadly to keep prices unchanged, it is the Amplifier Stage that has been the most common area where cuts have been made. Be it smaller Power Transformers, less Filter Capacitance,and a reduction in Heat Sinks,
Cheers,
AD

Thank you very much for this update,which actually has information Onkyo won´t tell me. I am extremely mad because my 2,5 year old 2100$ TX-NR906 is unusable due to a faulty HDMI board,and noone will tell me the cost to repair it,they all say i need to send it to the repair shop, so they can estimate costs,which is ridiculous,as i know what is wrong,but they won´t even sell me the part needed,without making a buck on "estimate of cost for repair". I already shelled out 200$ to replace the capacitors on my board,but that didn´t work,and if the estimate and repair runs about 1000$ then i could just buy a new 818 or similar for almost same amount.

I am and have always been very fond of Onkyo and their sound,and would by another unit if i absolutly know the heat problems (cause of the hdmi failing) are a thing of the past. I just feel conned by Onkyo that i have to pay for a design flaw
post #20 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 06:14 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

^^^^^^^
If you got the 3007 I got, you would be 100% happy with onkyo !!!
I bet if more onkyo owners posted how trouble free there onkyo avrs are, it would make the failures look insignificant by compare in %.
But few say good things shortly after all the hype of the units release....Only the negatives go on and on...
i've been using an onkyo ht-rc180, cousin to the tx-nr807 since mar '10 with no issues, so either i'm lucky or onkyo's for the most part, are good avr's but this is my first experience owning one, so who knows. just mho tongue.gif

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #21 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Well,i bit the bullet and ordered a new Onkyo 3009,as i cant be bothered with my 906 anymore.

Even though the HDMI don´t work on the 906,can i use it as an amp for my fronts only? If so,how do i do it,and should the 906 be in direct or puremode for this to work?
post #22 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Since my 906 have bought the bullet (HDMI does not work) i would like to know if the new onkyos have the same problem as the older ones with the hdmi switching problem? Or should i stay away from onkyo all together?
HDMI repair has been tried,did not work.
I am probably gonna have to brick my 2 year old 906 for a new one unless i can get a new hdmi board,which seems unlikely.
If not onkyo,then what should i get? I need a really powerful amp to drive my B&W 683,and even the onkyo 906 could have problems when i played at high volume.
Unit should be no more than 3000$ max,and have 7.1 and 2 subwoofer out
Any help would be appreciated

Many of the reported issues with HDMI and Onkyo AVRs are related to improper installation....
Even though this is pointed out in the Operation Manual.
An Onkyo AVR requires at least 3-4 " of free air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover to ventilate since its amplifiers are biased high..
We have installed well over a 100 Onkyo AVRs and only had 2 failures, and both of these were not HDMI related..

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
post #23 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 AM

The new TX-NR616 has issues (as does the whole 2012 range). I bought one two weeks ago and apart from an HDMI failure (which requires a reset), there is a problem where the RX cannot be turned on using the remote (but can be turn off that way). I have reset the unit four times in the last week, which is totally unacceptable for a new receiver.

Onkyo has release a firmware upgrade today and I will find out this evening whether it works or not. If the latter, it gets returned at the weekend.

I replaced a TX-SR707, which lost sound. With the problems with the 616, I discovered that this is a known fault to Onkyo and requires a replacement of the HDMI board.

Onkyo Customer Support sucks. It consists of "try unplugging" or other inane requests and no real help. They are also unwilling to help in the way of extending the warranty.

I can assure you that my next receiver will NOT be an Onkyo. It's a shame because I love the feature set and the price I paid. Any replacement will cost in the region of $250 more.

There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark
post #24 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 12:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Well,i bit the bullet and ordered a new Onkyo 3009,as i cant be bothered with my 906 anymore.
Even though the HDMI don´t work on the 906,can i use it as an amp for my fronts only? If so,how do i do it,and should the 906 be in direct or puremode for this to work?

Does Onkyo offer extended warranty? Maybe you could look into that if your worried about it dying after 2 years. Just a suggestion.

AVR: Onkyo 3009...Onkyo 609 (Old)
Amp: QSC GX5 (powering RTi A7s) & GX3 (powering CSi3)

Speakers:
Polk Audio CSi3 (Center)...CS1 (Old)
Polk Audio RTi A7 (Fronts)...Monitor 60 (old)
Polk Audio OWM 5 (Surrounds)

Sub: SVS PC12-Plus...BIC America PL-200(Old)
post #25 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Many of the reported issues with HDMI and Onkyo AVRs are related to improper installation....
An Onkyo AVR requires at least 3-4 " of free air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover to ventilate since its amplifiers are biased high..
We have installed well over a 100 Onkyo AVRs and only had 2 failures, and both of these were not HDMI related..
Just my $0.02.. wink.gif

That's not improper installation.It's Onkyo requiring something that almost all purchasers can't do. Take a look at the typical TV cabinet sold at Best Buy. None of them have shelves that can accomodate a large AVR with 3-4" on the sides and top. You could argue that someone buying a $500 AVS should buy a $2,000 AV cabinet, but that's not going to happen.
post #26 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif

Well,then in all your wisdom please enlighten me as to why my HDMI switching gradually got worse on a unit that stood on top of a table with 1,5 meters of air in every direction,except down ofcourse?

Please don´t insult me like i am an idiot who never had an amp before,or don´t read the manual. You think i would gripe here if this was a user error,please.

I have gone against my better judgement in ordering another onkyo,i just hope this one wll last as long as my other onkyos have,and i have had a lot of onkyo products over the last 25 years (casette decks,power amps,surround amps, cd players, dual mono blocks,recievers),not one faulty unit until now,and all have been sold on and to my knowledge the surround amp still plays excellent and is still in use by the dude who bought it,it must be at least 15 years old now.

One question though, can i pre out the fronts from the 3009 to the 906 and then bi-amp the 906 to drive my B&W 683?
post #27 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

That's not improper installation.It's Onkyo requiring something that almost all purchasers can't do. Take a look at the typical TV cabinet sold at Best Buy. None of them have shelves that can accomodate a large AVR with 3-4" on the sides and top. You could argue that someone buying a $500 AVS should buy a $2,000 AV cabinet, but that's not going to happen.

Its not just Onkyo...
Other AVR brands including Yamaha, Denon and Harman/Kardon mention the same primary point....
AVRs need room to breathe especially the latest platforms which have less heat sinking area due to material cost cutbacks...
The bottom line is how hard is the AVR's amplifiers being pushed, if driving 4 Ohm low sensitivity loudspeakers or playing rock music or a large listening room..
All of these can/will raise an AVR's heat output..
And raised internal AVR temepertaures will definitely shorten an AVR's life and reliability..

In our AV install biz, if we sell/install an AVR in a system that fails its costs us extra $ to send a tech back out with a replacement. As mentioned in my other posts we have installed well over 100 Onkyo AVRs without this type of failure.. So we must be doing something rite.. cool.gif

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
post #28 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well,then in all your wisdom please enlighten me as to why my HDMI switching gradually got worse on a unit that stood on top of a table with 1,5 meters of air in every direction,except down ofcourse?
Please don´t insult me like i am an idiot who never had an amp before,or don´t read the manual. You think i would gripe here if this was a user error,please.
I have gone against my better judgement in ordering another onkyo,i just hope this one wll last as long as my other onkyos have,and i have had a lot of onkyo products over the last 25 years (casette decks,power amps,surround amps, cd players, dual mono blocks,recievers),not one faulty unit until now,and all have been sold on and to my knowledge the surround amp still plays excellent and is still in use by the dude who bought it,it must be at least 15 years old now.

Don't know which model you have..
But are you aware that Onkyo had a service bulletin out about replacing bad HDMI connectors, not because of heat but due to poor quality/workmanship from the HDMI connector manufacturer..

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
post #29 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My 608 wont talk to jvc tv, three other avrs did.
post #30 of 40 Old 06-08-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Don't know which model you have..
But are you aware that Onkyo had a service bulletin out about replacing bad HDMI connectors, not because of heat but due to poor quality/workmanship from the HDMI connector manufacturer..
Just my $0.02.. wink.gif

TX-NR906,no recall on this model,no help from onkyo,no help whatsoever. Fact, HDMI board sucks balls,FACT amp gets so hot i burn my hands when touching it,i have to use fan to cool it,but before i found that out,the damage was done. Fact, the capacitors are underrated on the HDMI board comapared to the heat it gives out,which is why people change the capacitors for 105 degree ones,and get their hdmi boards working again,this just did not work on mine.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page