What 7.1 Receiver can run 3 pairs of speakers in stereo, plus an active sub out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to run 3 pairs of outdoor speakers in stereo sound, plus add an outdoor subwoofer around one area. It would be nice to have the ability to play all 6 speakers at once, with one input, and be able to switch one pair of speakers (zone 2) between that input (Sonos) and another input (Airplay).

I am also considering that a more flexible, although expensive, option would be to use a 70v system, with inline volume controls so that each zone could have its only volume adjustment. How do outdoor subs work on a 70v system?

Here is a layout of the property we will be installing this system:

Two speakers will be by the pool, two in the gazebo, and two on the trees closest to the beach. Not sure on sub placement yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
There are fair number of receivers that can do this, look for something that supports powered zone 2 and 3 simulataneously. For example, Yamaha RX-A2010, Onkyo TX-NR1009 and Pioneer SC-55. You have to run the subwoofer off the main zone or use an outdoor subwoofer with speaker level inputs and outputs (assuming such a device exists).
post #3 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

There are fair number of receivers that can do this, look for something that supports powered zone 2 and 3 simulataneously. For example, Yamaha RX-A2010, Onkyo TX-NR1009 and Pioneer SC-55. You have to run the subwoofer off the main zone or use an outdoor subwoofer with speaker level inputs and outputs (assuming such a device exists).

I don't need a third zone, this amplifier will only be powering/supporting the outdoor speakers. I realize that's not what a home theatre receiver was built to do, but seems like it should be possible. I want the functionality of a receiver (ip control, airplay, etc), but be able to play 3 sets of speakers, all in stereo (so 3 left speakers, and 3 right speakers).

If this cannot be accomplished, I might end up with something like this Pyle PT800CH. I realize it is only going to realistically output 100-150w/ch, but will work with one input, across as many speakers as I will need, and even have enough power for a sub or two (after passing through a low pass filter). I have seen mixed reviews on the Pyle, but a lot of people seemed reasonably pleased, as long as their expectations weren't too high. This; however, will only play 1 zone....without going up to the unit itself (no remote function), which is a bit of a downer.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 02:15 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
If you will be passing the same source to all 3 pairs of speakers, then most any 7.1 AVR with a Multi CH Stereo option will allow for this (Denon/Marantz for sure). You would connect the 1st pair to the FL/FR posts, the 2nd pair to the Surr L/R posts, and the 3rd pair to the Surr Back L/R posts and of course the sub to the sub pre-out. Volume control would either be per pair of speakers or via separate volume control switches at each location. You could also switch the Surr Back speaker pair to Zone 2 and then play an independent audio source (analog connected sources, internet radio, Airplay). The Denon XX12 models are restricted to having Airplay play in the main zone when also playing in Zone 2, while the XX13 models now being released no longer have that restriction. If an AppleTV or Airport Express is connected to a XX12 model, the Airplay source could then play independently to Zone 2. An exception to the analog only rule for external sources is the 3312CI which can also pass PCM 2.0 over optical or digital coax. The 3312CI also features Zone 2 and Zone 3 pre-outs if you wanted to add a 4th and 5th set of speakers as your Zone 2 and 3 each powered by external 2CH amps.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 05:10 PM

are you familure with series parallel wiring??????

Also the route your thinking with 70 volt and volume controls can also be applied here.....ONLY if you use Impedance matching volume controls you can do an 8 ohm conventional system. The volume controls basicly will all parallel to eachother then each out to its own pair of speakers.
If you set them correctly as you change volume they will keep the load to an acceptable level for the amp or receiver.....In this case with speaker runs being as long as they are Id concider using power amps....

JDSMOOTHIE's design above will also work. I have used that design in the past for distributed audio using older outdated 5.1 receivers as amps...In 5 channel mode you basicly have 2 stereo zones and 1 mono zone.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page