Though on Denon AVR Amps (just got the 3312 and it got HOT) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 06-08-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a Denon 3312 to replace my Harmon Kardon 635. The 635 would forget all its setting every time I lost power so I decided to get the 3312 to replace it. The 635 was rated at 75RMS/CH all channels driven at the same time so it wasn’t a powerhouse but it got the job done. I am running Polk Lsi9’s, LsiC, and 2 Lsi FX surround speaker and for base I use a 15” Velodyne HGS.
The 3310 is about a week old and I just got the chance to really calibrate It and push it to see what it can do. Compared to the 635, I was running it about the same perceived level as I ran the 635 and the 635 could run hard all day. The 3312 shot off after one song and started blinking the red light so I knew it had overheated. I didn’t think I ran it too hard for too long to get as hot as it did so I called Denon support.

Denon support said it wasn’t really made to run hard like that ( I did have it at 0 dB and briefly above 0db). I asked support if it was a class D and and they confirmed it was an AB. One of the first things I noticed was how small and light the 3312 was compared to the 635 so I assumed the 3312 was a class D. I think they really took cost out of it and put in undersized heat sinks but I want to know what others think. Support told me it was made for watching TV / Movies at ~ -30dB etc and up 0 dB but that is rare and not to be exceeded. I told support I watch mostly Rock concerts (DVD / Blue Ray) so I’m going to push it at times.

The part I don’t get is when calibrated, 0 dB is ref level and 0 dB is ref level on even the Denon 1513 (75W RMS/CH) or the 3312 (125W RMS/ch). If you can’t exceed 0dB with either Denons, then the extra power (1513 vs 3312) is only good for more head room and not to play louder?? I can say for sure the 635 can do a much better job that the 3312 as far as high sustained clean output.

I noticed after I ran the calibration before I took the amp for a testdrive, my mains and center went to large so I will set them to small and cross them at 80Hz to take some bass out and then biamp the mains. I think that will help but not solve the problem. In general , I like the features and sound of the 3312 but I think amp has been cost reduced far too much for me. The Denon being a AB at 125 RMS/CH should not be far smaller and lighter than the 635 at 75RMS / ch so I assume that is the problem.

I can confirm all is wired correctly with no shorts etc.

Thoughts?

shogun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 255
How much space do you have around the AVR?

Can you add one of the little fan coolers?

I am not sure about the HK you had, but modern AVRs have a LOT of extra heat due to all the DSP going on. On my Pioneer, the hottest area is typically the part over the DSP, not the amps (when I wsa using the amps -- am not now). My older Denon got warm but not hot and never shut down driving large speakers.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 25 Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've run my 4311 for extended periods driving 5 Gallo references at 0 dB and had no issues. Your speakers may present a low impedance load at some freqs.

Keep in mind that the 0 dB reference level is measured with a swept test tone, not music. Are you using the same source material when the Denon is shutting down as when you ran the HK at ref level? If you're playing something with less dynamic range (more compressed) with the Denon than with the HK that could explain it, as the former will require a higher average power level than the latter.

Either way I think their advice on what the AVR was designed to do (-30dB) is BS.
post #4 of 25 Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Your LSi's are 4 ohm speakers. You are asking for trouble running them that hard with a mid-range AVR.

I should add that the old HKs were built like tanks. I had a 635, then a 645 and finally a 7550HD. The 7550HD was the last of the overbuilt HK units. All the new HK stuff seems to have joined the cost cutting trend...
post #5 of 25 Old 06-09-2012, 03:25 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
None of the Denon AVR-XX12 or XX13 models are designed to work with 4ohm speakers (as is the 4311CI and A100), although they will generally work well at volumes no louder than -30db to -20db without shutting down the AVR. If you prefer reference volume listening, you'll want to either add a 250W+ external amp connected to the FL/FR pre-outs or swap the 3312CI out for a 4311CI.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 25 Old 06-09-2012, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

DonH50, I have plenty of spack on the sides, back and about 4" on the top so no air restriction.

jdsmoothie, I did call Denon and talk to the peopl at the local Sterio shop beforeI got the 3312 and no one expected a problem with the Denon driving the speakers I have. The local Sterio Shop, sells the Polk speakers so they are quit familiar with 3312 and the speakers I have. I have a 200RMS/CH Rockford Fosgate RF2000 AKA Haffler JF2000 but it is only 2 channels. I do listen to 5.1 mostly so I expect it would help but the center and rear would still over work the amp.

I guess my options if I do want to run it hard are:

1) exchange it if I can.
2) get a 5 channel amp and use the 3312 as a preamp only.
3) use my 200 WPC amp for the front 2.
4) biamp the fronts with the Denon.

I think I will try option 4 and see how it works. When I calibrated it, I didn't realize it had set my L R and C to large so I really don't need to run the lows to my LSi's so that should help by reducing the load quite a bit. Th drawback to the Fosgate amp is ther is no auto-on but that isn't that big of a deal.

Maybe for option 2, I can go to ebay because with used I will save some $ and I think this stuff was built much better in the past. The modern processing is better butthe old amps seem much better. Any recommendations on amps?

shogun
post #7 of 25 Old 06-09-2012, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have the 2312 and have run at 0db for 10-20 minutes with no problem. It got hot, but didn't shut down on me. I'm also running 6-8 ohm speakers.

My Gear
post #8 of 25 Old 06-09-2012, 04:56 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun94 View Post

DonH50, I have plenty of spack on the sides, back and about 4" on the top so no air restriction.
jdsmoothie, I did call Denon and talk to the peopl at the local Sterio shop beforeI got the 3312 and no one expected a problem with the Denon driving the speakers I have. The local Sterio Shop, sells the Polk speakers so they are quit familiar with 3312 and the speakers I have. I have a 200RMS/CH Rockford Fosgate RF2000 AKA Haffler JF2000 but it is only 2 channels. I do listen to 5.1 mostly so I expect it would help but the center and rear would still over work the amp.
I guess my options if I do want to run it hard are:
1) exchange it if I can.
2) get a 5 channel amp and use the 3312 as a preamp only.
3) use my 200 WPC amp for the front 2.
4) biamp the fronts with the Denon.
I think I will try option 4 and see how it works. When I calibrated it, I didn't realize it had set my L R and C to large so I really don't need to run the lows to my LSi's so that should help by reducing the load quite a bit. Th drawback to the Fosgate amp is ther is no auto-on but that isn't that big of a deal.
Maybe for option 2, I can go to ebay because with used I will save some $ and I think this stuff was built much better in the past. The modern processing is better butthe old amps seem much better. Any recommendations on amps?
shogun

You can skip #4 as there's no added benefit there in either increased power or improved audio fidelity. After calibration you always want to reset all speakers to SMALL when there's a sub in the setup and raise their crossovers up to 80hz. I would do this first and if it still shuts down, then add the 2CH amp to the FL/FR which should resolve your issue or at least allow for a higher master volume before shutting down.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #9 of 25 Old 06-09-2012, 04:59 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

I have the 2312 and have run at 0db for 10-20 minutes with no problem. It got hot, but didn't shut down on me. I'm also running 6-8 ohm speakers.

Big difference ... Denon AVRs are designed to power 6-8 ohm speakers. smile.gif

post #10 of 25 Old 06-09-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some numbers but first the setup

I bi-amped the LSi's and crossed the front 3 (L, C and R) at 80Hz and above.
Source PS3 playing U2 DVD live in Boston using Dolby Digital audio track via HDMI.
No compression used on headroom in the EQ/processor so normal source dynamics etc.

Using a SPL meeter I get the following:
Volume on the 3312 is 0dB
C Weighting slow was reading 106dB av and some peaks at 108dB.
A Weighting slow was reading 94dB slow and 106db fast.

I didn't let it shut down but it did run for 1 song at 0dB and got hot and probably would have shut down shortly into the second song if I continued to enjoy the music smile.gif.

shogun
post #11 of 25 Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

stop wasting your power supply by passively bi-amping... it's not doing you any good, and possibly causing you some harm...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #12 of 25 Old 06-09-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I would choose (3): use the two-channel amp you have to power the L/R speakers since you already have it and that will offload a significant part of the AVR's load. I would not bi-amp (but whatever). The rears generally consume far less power than the L/R, and setting them all (all five speakers) to small will also help reduce the load on the AVR (let the sub do its thing).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #13 of 25 Old 06-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Liked: 15
How loud is this 0db?

When I set my volume to 'relative' and went to 0db and then changed back to absolute, it was at volume 82 on my Onkyo TX-SR707. Pretty loud, I usually go up to about 70 when listening to music.

I'm about to buy a Denon 2312, and I going to have to worry about the Denon gettting too hot with my 8ohm speakers? AV123 ELT525T...

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
post #14 of 25 Old 06-09-2012, 05:02 PM
585-645-1006

^^
0db relative (-80db to +18db) is the same as 82 absolute (1-99). Denon AVRs are designed to power 6-8ohm speakers as has already been pointed out. Note the OP has 4 ohm speakers which are considerably harder to drive than your 8ohm speakers.

post #15 of 25 Old 06-10-2012, 07:17 PM

Liked: 20
This explains your problem: Hit me

2.5 ohm impedance at 52 Hz (just above resonant freq) and below 4 ohms from 42 to 70 Hz, plus below 4 ohms across a wide band of upper bass.

Looking at the frequency response charts, there is absolutely no reason not to set the xover freq at 80 Hz. They drop off below 70 Hz and with the port tuned to 50 Hz they won't have much useful response in the low bass.

Take Don's recommendation: Use the other amp for the LSi-9s and set the xover at 80 Hz for all of them. If the impedance shelf measured in the upper bass (150-290 Hz) is problematic in the CC or surrounds, you may need to pick up a 5 channel PA with some balls.
post #16 of 25 Old 06-11-2012, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update, I have been using the Fosgate amp and it has been working better but if I push it it still gets hot but it does much better than before with just the Denon amp. It's good enough and plays plenty loud and the Denon did not shut down after a few songs so it's probably good enough. Thanks for the info Russ_777, those LSi's are really low impedance and to make matters worse, not that efficient.

shogun
post #17 of 25 Old 06-11-2012, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I run the 2312 with no problems. It gets hot playing music loud but not too hot and doesn't shut off like the OP. He's running power to 4 ohm speakers i guess.

My Gear
post #18 of 25 Old 10-05-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update.
I finally got a real amp to drive me LSi’s. I got a B&K 200.7 rev 2 amp so obviously it used since B&K is no more frown.gif. I think it’s too late to return the amp I don’t think I would if I could but I do have a problem with it. On the back of the 200.7, there are some switches to select between using the balanced vs RCA inputs. I use the RCA inputs from the Denon AVR since I don’t have balanced outputs. I do notice some times some of the channels drop down in volume and pressing the input select buttons to go to balanced and back to RCA will fix it again or at least for a while. Maybe just some of the switches in the back of the amp are bad but I think each amp is working correctly. Does anyone have any advice and what I could do? I have thought about the following:

Find a repair shop that could fix it.
See if this is a common problem with a common solution like get a replacement switch and swap it myself or have it changed.
Hard wire it to only use the RCA inputs.
Look to see if I could get a RCA to Balanced converter so I could go RCA out of the Denon to the balanced input on the 200.7.
Does anyone have schematics on this amp?
I am about 1 hr from Buffalo where they were made and I have no idea if there is anyone still around that could help me fix this.
Any advice on this?
post #19 of 25 Old 10-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Just a quick update.
I finally got a real amp to drive me LSi’s. I got a B&K 200.7 rev 2 amp so obviously it used since B&K is no more frown.gif. I think it’s too late to return the amp I don’t think I would if I could but I do have a problem with it. On the back of the 200.7, there are some switches to select between using the balanced vs RCA inputs. I use the RCA inputs from the Denon AVR since I don’t have balanced outputs. I do notice some times some of the channels drop down in volume and pressing the input select buttons to go to balanced and back to RCA will fix it again or at least for a while. Maybe just some of the switches in the back of the amp are bad but I think each amp is working correctly. Does anyone have any advice and what I could do? I have thought about the following:

See if this is a common problem with a common solution like get a replacement switch and swap it myself or have it changed.
Look to see if I could get a RCA to Balanced converter so I could go RCA out of the Denon to the balanced input on the 200.7.
I am about 1 hr from Buffalo where they were made and I have no idea if there is anyone still around that could help me fix this.
Any advice on this?

Just a heads up, I also had the same B&K amp and it started doing the same thing. I tried contacting multiple repair shops in my area and nobody would fix it because the company was out of business and they could not get the replacement parts. I did contact EEVA which will fix B&K equipment. To make a long story short, I sent the amp which was in mint condition to them, they fixed it for a fee, and UPS destroyed it shipping it back. Good thing is I had insurance and 30 days later got reimbursed. I then took the money and bought a ATI AT 20007 amp and could not be happier. George at EEVA was great to work with and if you can arrange to drop it off and pick it up personally I have no doubt they could fix it up for you. If not take a look at www.classicaudio.com as they are the B-stock outlet for ATI and you can get a B stock amp which looks and works like brand new for a good price. Best of luck and yes I still do miss my B&K as it had a sound all its own.smile.gif

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)
Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround
2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II
post #20 of 25 Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Just a quick update.

Any advice on this?

I am not a tech so take my comments with a grain of salt. If possible I would start by spraying canned air into the switch to see if that cured the problem. If not get a RCA to XLR interconnect and try on a channel when this happens.
Make the cable swap and do not touch the switch. The problem may also with this cable and then you will know if the switch is the problem.
Good luck.

Almost forgot. What LSI's do you have and how do you like them?
post #21 of 25 Old 10-06-2013, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Muscat45, I have 2 LSI9's, a LSIC and 2 LSIFX's and I really like them. I use a Velodyne for the bass so I never really tried to use them full range but I do like the sound.

Smitty 8451, I live about an hr from EEVA so I plan to contact them when they are open tomorrow. I hope it doesn't cost too much to fix since I just spent big bucks on getting the amp. Is this a common problem with the B&K's?
post #22 of 25 Old 10-06-2013, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Muscat45, I have 2 LSI9's, a LSIC and 2 LSIFX's and I really like them. I use a Velodyne for the bass so I never really tried to use them full range but I do like the sound.

Smitty 8451, I live about an hr from EEVA so I plan to contact them when they are open tomorrow. I hope it doesn't cost too much to fix since I just spent big bucks on getting the amp. Is this a common problem with the B&K's?

I really am getting old. I was thinking of LSA speakers.

I do not think your problem is common with B&K amps. At least not epidemic. I know of two that have been in a HT for at least 15 years with no problem.
post #23 of 25 Old 10-06-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I would give them a call before you head up. I believe Tabetha is there receptionist and she will process your RMA and patch you through to George and then you can talk to him directly. Before I got mine back (prior to being destroyed by UPS in shipping back to me) they replaced the switch PCB board and did pretty thorough testing to make sure everything else was good to go. On my unit it started off with just one channel, but after a while the other channels exhibited the same behavior. I take my unit covers off once a year and blow all the dust out so there was no dust issue. I also tried numerous XLR cables, swapped to the RCA jacks and tried moving the switches in and out multiple times to ensure there was no corrosion on the contacts. Be aware this could cost a couple hundred dollars for repair so I would call them first to get a quote. I really liked my B&K amp and in your place where I could drop it off and pick it up I would do it again. If you really want the amp back in pristine condition I believe they can also replace the face plate and chassis if it is scratched or dented anywhere so you would get a nice unit back. One thing I did learn on the forum regarding these amps is that when they are standby mode the capacitors stay charged so depending on how it was used and for how long I would have them check those also. One last thing, I have a B&K ref 50 SII that George upgraded in 2008 in mint condition not being used so if you want a matching preamp for a decent price let me know as it is sitting down in my shop boxed and collecting dust. Doesn't have HDMI but it is one sweet unit and goes great with there amps.smile.gif

Best of luck on your endeavors and please let me know how it goes, I like people taking the time to get the older equipment working.

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)
Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround
2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II
post #24 of 25 Old 10-07-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

I tried several time to call EEVA today and didn't get an answer. I hope they are still around...
post #25 of 25 Old 10-10-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update, EEVA no longer supports B&K as of 10/1/2013. Looks like I just missed it frown.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr3312ci Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 635 7 1 Channel Surround Sound Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr 1513 Receiver , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Harman Kardon Avr7550hd 7 2 Channel Audio Video Receiver , Denon Avr 2312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page