Receivers or Pre-Pro's With 4k Pass Through? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-10-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know some of the newer Onkyo's have this feature, but based on countless comments here in the forum, their reliability does not appear to be trustworthy. So, I'm wondering what AVR's and pre-pro's have it. I know the Integra 80.3 does, but not much else. And yes, I am aware there is no current need whatever for this, but the next pre-pro or receiver I buy may have to last for quite an extended period (long story). So I'm taking no chances.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anyone???
post #3 of 17 Old 06-13-2012, 03:00 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
The new Denon ("CI" models), Marantz (SRX007) AVRs and Marantz (AVX007) pre-pros have this feature.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 17 Old 06-15-2012, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. Any other AVR's or Pre-Pro's?
post #5 of 17 Old 06-15-2012, 10:00 PM

the top 3 sc pioneer elite models coming out next month as well
post #6 of 17 Old 06-16-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Nathan. I really like the Elite line, and a friend has the SC57, which is great and I love the feature set. I would jump on the new flagship SC-68 in a minute, as soon as its available, except for the fact that MCACC is simply not competitive with Audyssey, especially in XT32 guise.

Really disappointing as I would absolutely buy one otherwise, and nothing else out there is really standing out from my perspective.

John
post #7 of 17 Old 06-16-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
except for the fact that MCACC is simply not competitive with Audyssey

I have owned both the Pioneer SC-05 and the Denon 4311 at the same time. So I was able to do A/B testing on the same gear in the same room. I have my main speakers crossed over at 80hz with a JL112 sub. I found the JL did a better job taming the lower frequencies than the Audyssey/MCACC. With proper setup, I did not find much difference between the two types of correction. The MCACC seems to center the voices better for movies. The Denon had a tendency to sound a just a shade hollow or thin. I believe this is due to the filtering (a dip in energy) that the Audyssey applies in the 2Khz range. For music, I preferred listening in direct mode for either receiver.

I had bought the Denon thinking of it as an upgrade and spend countless hours configuring it. In the end, I returned it since there wasn't any perceivable differences. It might have been different if I needed room correction for low frequencies. Also, I would have liked to remove the 2KHz dip from the Denon but that requires paying for the Audyssey Pro.

Based upon my experience, the Denon and Pioneer are both nice receivers. I wouldn’t necessarily select one over the other based upon the room correction.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by canelli View Post

I have owned both the Pioneer SC-05 and the Denon 4311 at the same time. So I was able to do A/B testing on the same gear in the same room. I have my main speakers crossed over at 80hz with a JL112 sub. I found the JL did a better job taming the lower frequencies than the Audyssey/MCACC. With proper setup, I did not find much difference between the two types of correction. .

I currently own both receivers and in my room the 4311 has produced substantially better results.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-17-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And so, we seem to be at an impasse. Anyone else?

John
post #10 of 17 Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I currently own both receivers and in my room the 4311 has produced substantially better results.

Are you using the 4311 to control the lower frequencies? Just curious if that's the major difference.

Can you tell the difference with the 4311 putting a notch around the 2Khz range compared to the Pioneer?
post #11 of 17 Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Quote:
Are you using the 4311 to control the lower frequencies? Just curious if that's the major difference.

Yes, I have a pair of Rythmik subs and the 4311 has done a fantastic job with them. However the biggest difference to my ears was an overall smoothing/blending of the sound of my system as a whole. I have yet to run any measurements but I'm extremely pleased with what XT32 has done in my larger and awkward living room-type setup.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 10:09 AM

The new Yamaha HTR-7065 has it, maybe some other Yamaha's. I'm trying to figure out what "4k Pass-Through" is.

I'm looking at the HTR-7065 because it's sold at Costco for what seems like a good price. I'm kind of new at all this.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

I know some of the newer Onkyo's have this feature, but based on countless comments here in the forum, their reliability does not appear to be trustworthy. So, I'm wondering what AVR's and pre-pro's have it. I know the Integra 80.3 does, but not much else. And yes, I am aware there is no current need whatever for this, but the next pre-pro or receiver I buy may have to last for quite an extended period (long story). So I'm taking no chances.
John

The new Onkyo's 3010/5010 do not have 4K pass through, they can upscale to 4K, but when 4K source/player become real and you have a 4K pj/monitor you'll need a dual hdmi player to get the signal to the display with current avr/pre pro.  I'd be surprised if the other avr's mentioned actually can pass the native 4K signal thru since the newest of the high end Onkyos can't.

post #14 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

I have owned both the Pioneer SC-05 and the Denon 4311 at the same time. So I was able to do A/B testing on the same gear in the same room. I have my main speakers crossed over at 80hz with a JL112 sub. I found the JL did a better job taming the lower frequencies than the Audyssey/MCACC. With proper setup, I did not find much difference between the two types of correction. The MCACC seems to center the voices better for movies. The Denon had a tendency to sound a just a shade hollow or thin. I believe this is due to the filtering (a dip in energy) that the Audyssey applies in the 2Khz range. For music, I preferred listening in direct mode for either receiver.
I had bought the Denon thinking of it as an upgrade and spend countless hours configuring it. In the end, I returned it since there wasn't any perceivable differences. It might have been different if I needed room correction for low frequencies. Also, I would have liked to remove the 2KHz dip from the Denon but that requires paying for the Audyssey Pro.
Based upon my experience, the Denon and Pioneer are both nice receivers. I wouldn’t necessarily select one over the other based upon the room correction.

The ARO eq in the JL will only address the worst individual response in the room. You may be lucky and have only one significant peak, but most rooms have multiples.

I've found running ARO first on my pair of JL F113's, then running XT32 provides the flattest measured response and is far better than what I was able to achieve with the same subs and MCACC. Since MCACC doesn't address anything below 63hz, this wasn't surprising.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post

The new Onkyo's 3010/5010 do not have 4K pass through, they can upscale to 4K, but when 4K source/player become real and you have a 4K pj/monitor you'll need a dual hdmi player to get the signal to the display with current avr/pre pro.  I'd be surprised if the other avr's mentioned actually can pass the native 4K signal thru since the newest of the high end Onkyos can't.

I see the new Denon's do state they do 4K pass through, looks like Onkyo may be falling behind the curve even if it is a feature that has no near current use.

post #16 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post

Color me surprised!  The new Marantzs also pass through 4K, so much for Onkyo's reputation of having all the newest features.

post #17 of 17 Old 09-22-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

John

If you can quote doc, I sure would be appreciated. The only doc I found was this: "ONKYO

4K Upscaling

Selected Onkyo receivers offer 4K (4096 x 2160) upscaling of standard video sources such as 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i/p. Interlaced-to-progressive conversion and scaling are performed by Qdeo video processing technology from Marvell. Qdeo uses algorithms to erase video noise and artifacts such as jaggies and feathering. Played back on a compatible wide-screen display, your content will look more detailed and cinematic than ever.

Note: 4K video playback requires a 4K-compatible TV. HDMI pass-through of 4K content from source devices is not supported. 4K upscaling of analog video is only available at 480i."
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page