Strange Echo in the Sound when playing John Carter 2D (Denon AVR) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-10-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up the 3D combo of John Carter BD. Just was watching the 2D copy and I have noticed the similar problem I had with Star Wars and every movie with DTS MA afterwards til I did the FW patch. I have a Denon 2809 and PS3 Slim bitstreaming. I did update the firmware and have not notice any any movies after update to have any problems til now.

I will watch it again but seemed to have started around 1hr 16 min mark or so of the movie. I looked around and haven't seen anything mentioned about this so not sure if I'm the only one or if others had same problem.

Also notice if you pause the movie then hit triangle to clear the screen display and then hit X resume play the movie will restart from the beginning of the chapter and not from where it was paused. So just wondering if it was a bad disc now.

I just checked by playing it on my PC and it does the same thing (audio and resume play goes back to start of that chapter) so it's either the disc or a Receiver problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I experienced a problem with the 2D version as well but it wasn't a bomb. I had a strange echo in the sound that seemed to come and go. Don't know if it's the receiver/Blu-ray player combo which is the Denon 2309CI and the Sony BDP-S350. I'll be checking into new firmwares and hopefully will find an answer.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I experienced a problem with the 2D version as well but it wasn't a bomb. I had a strange echo in the sound that seemed to come and go. Don't know if it's the receiver/Blu-ray player combo which is the Denon 2309CI and the Sony BDP-S350. I'll be checking into new firmwares and hopefully will find an answer.

watched 2d version last night. useing oppo bdp 93 with Integra dtr-7 5.1 analog. No issues what so ever with audio. I really do not care for the idea of audio and video in one cable. I know that the video signal will interfere with the audio to a degree. I like the oppo because you have options like dual hdmi and analog out for audio. Gives you more control over that issue.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^

as you are decoding and dac'ing in the player, you wouldn't...

hint: you might want to take a gander at how tmds works if you "know" the video will "interfere" with the audio...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I thought the echo was the bomb maybe I read it wrong originally but that is the same issue I have it's a echo. In fact thats what Star Wars was doing. I believe it's the AVR since you stated you had the Denon 2309CI and I have a Denon 2809CI.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-16-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDestroyer8418 View Post

I thought the echo was the bomb maybe I read it wrong originally but that is the same issue I have it's a echo. In fact thats what Star Wars was doing. I believe it's the AVR since you stated you had the Denon 2309CI and I have a Denon 2809CI.

I ordered a new Panasonic Blu-ray player and it should be here by Wednesday. I'll test this title again and if the echo remains then it points to my Denon.

post #7 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

LMK what you find out. I can test with another player as well but it's another Sony I believe it's BDP-S470 but when I tested with my PC BD drive a LG I still had same problem (echo) so I'm pointing to the Denon already. Hopefully not many new releases will have this problem since I was planning on keeping it for another 2 years or so before I upgraded and moved that to another room.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I updated to the latest firmware on both the Denon 2309CI and the Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray player. There was no change, still had the echo occurring. Careful listening revealed that the center channel dialog was being output in the left and right channels with a slight delay and resulting echo sound. I purchased the Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-ray player for a bargain price (since it's been replaced by the BDT220 model) and tried it with the Denon. The echo was still there. One thing that the Panasonic can do that the older Sony player can't is decode the DTS-MA format and output it as PCM. So I switched the output from bitstream to PCM and played the scenes where the echo was most prominent. Echo was gone. So I either have a defective copy of the John Carter Blu-ray or the Denon 2309CI needs a new firmware update. I plan on exchanging the JC Blu-ray at the Target store where I bought it and see if this cures the problem.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, I exchanged the John Carter (Four-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD + Digital Copy) at a Target store in another city to try to eliminate the possibility of a bad batch of Blu-rays. No luck. The new 2D Blu-ray still exhibits the same echo problem played on either the Sony 350 or the Panasonic 210. I am planning on writing Denon support to state the problem and what I've done so far to find a cure. The echo comes and goes in the soundtrack but I can always replicate it in the same spots. One prime example is at 44 minutes into the movie during the flyer battle when John Carter catches the Princess in mid-air. The dialog suddenly moves from the center channel to the left and right speakers with a slight delay leading to an echo in the sound. This Sunday I plan to play this Blu-ray on my daughter's system which includes the Denon 1612, PS3 and Panasonic DMP-BD75.

post #10 of 10 Old 07-02-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I played the 2D Blu-ray of John Carter on my daughter's system yesterday, she owns the Denon 1612 and the Panasonic DMP-BD75, and it played fine - no echo. So it appears that this is a firmware issue with the Denon XX09 line of receivers. I have tried two completely different Blu-ray players with my Denon 2309 (the OP owns the 2809) and they both exhibit the same problem with this disc. The question becomes "Why is there a lack of other people complaining about this disc" if it is a problem with the XX09 line? It is a bitstreaming problem since the Panasonic can output PCM and there is no echo. I have emailed Denon about the issue and will wait to hear what their response is.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page