Denon AVR-890 no sound coming out of standby - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon AVR-890 that's a couple years old. In the past few weeks it has started exhibiting a behaviour that I've been unable to resolve through cable swaps or microprocessor resets.

When I first turn the unit on (bringing it out of standby), there's no sound at all, for any input. I have to turn it off, either putting it back in standby or turning it completely off with the power button, and then back on to get sound out of it.

Additionally, the volume control video overlay randomly stops displaying for the DirecTV box, but not the PS3 (that I've seen).

It vaguely seems like this behaviour started after I had the unit unplugged for a while to move everything to a new AV rack; everything also got re-cabled during this effort. I've checked the wiring and gone through the setup process again to validate that all the speakers are connected correctly and functioning properly. Everything seems to be in-order.

I've tried unplugging it for a time and gone through a couple microprocessor resets now, to no avail. I've also double-checked the headphone jack and ruled that out.

The firmware versions are .64 and .24; these aren't the newest versions out there, but they've worked well up until recently. I haven't introduced any new hardware, though I'm sure both the PS3 and DirecTV boxes have periodically updated their firmware.

Any ideas, things to check, things to try?

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
When you say you've "double checked the headphone jack" does that mean you blew compressed air into it a few times? If the microprocessor reset hasn't resolved the issue, you may be looking at repair. frown.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Correct, I blew in compressed air, plugged something into the jack and unplugged it several times, and blew in compressed air again.

Another thing of note is that on the occasions that no audio comes from the unit, I don't hear that 'click' that normally happens a few seconds after starting up (presumably this is a relay of some kind?). After turning the unit off and back on, the click does happen, and I get sound.

I have also seen a couple times turning on the unit, a message flashes on the screen very briefly (less than half a second, so I can't even read the whole thing) about a device not supporting something related to HDMI. I'm afraid I've never been able to read the whole message so I can't say what it says entirely.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 04:03 PM
585-645-1006

To minimize HDMI handshake issues, power on the TV first, wait a few seconds, then power on the AVR, wait a few more seconds, and then the source device.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #5 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

I disabled the HDMI Control feature on the AVR, and so far that seems to be helping. I'll need to try a few more times before I'm comfortable saying it's cured.

I use a Logitech Harmony remote to power things on, so the HDMI control was kind of unnecessary. I think what could have been happening was some kind of race condition between the AVR telling the a device to turn on, followed by the remote telling the device to turn on from the other side. It may have started happening after I recabled because everything went back to the defaults (either because everything was unplugged for so long, or because I deliberately restored the defaults to reset everything post-recable).

I suspect I must have originally disabled HDMI Control when I first set everything up, then promptly forgot why I'd done that.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Did you fix that problem? I just found out mine is having the exact same problem...no sound whatsoever now. But when I plugged in the headphones, there's sound. Not sure if it's the speakers or Denon receiver. Last week it was working sporadically. I was watching a movie on my PS3 and then fast forward some scenes with the ps3 remote controller and it went...click click click ...sound, no sound, sound and completely gone.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-29-2012, 12:13 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Try blowing some compressed air into the headphone jack or simply inserting/removing the headphone plug a few times.

"JD" –

post #8 of 10 Old 12-29-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, turning off HDMI control corrected the problem, and it never came back. Evidently I had some device that just wasn't playing nice with that feature, and everything works just as well without it.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM
585-645-1006

Great. Thanks for reporting back with the results. smile.gif

"JD" –

post #10 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM

Thanks guys!!! Without you guys and the internet, I think I would have to go buy new speakers and a new amp. There's no way I would have thought of blowing compressed air into the headphone slot biggrin.gif I have also turned off the HDMI control option too. Happy New Year! Now I can enjoy my surround sound system!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page