The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1862 Old 02-06-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

There is no "Auto Leveling program" that is on by default is there?
Should I be looking to upgrade my firmware immediately?

Check in the menu that Adaptive DRC is OFF. It's possible that selecting a certain SCENE turns it ON.

For the firmware, check what version you already have (for instructions see the Advanced Setup menu in the manual). The latest version is 1.41, and it fixed quite a few things including a problem with multi-point YPAO, so you probably want that version. I would download it to a USB memory stick and do the update that way, rather than update directly over the network. Again, it's done through the Advanced Setup menu and the instructions are in the manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1862 Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
^^^Also make sure that Dynamic Range is set to Maximum in On Screen > Setup > Sound

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
post #363 of 1862 Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 PM

Does anyone use the Dialogue Level feature? I'm curious how effective it is at improving dialogue with movies. I did attempt to test it out at my local Best Buy on a 2020, and my impression is that it seems to raise the center channel level a few db, which seems to roughly amount to increasing the center channel level. However, I'd like someone's take on it as I'm not sure how accurate my impression of it was as my local store was busy and noisy while I was testing it out. I was hoping it only increases the level over the frequency range of dialogue and not the entire range of the center channel, but I'm not certain if that's the case?

post #364 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know exactly what it does, but I'm pretty sure it's not just raising the centre channel level because that was already possible. They wouldn't call it a new feature unless it did something different.
post #365 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello,

I recently bought the yamaha rx-v673 and it does not seem to fill the space I live in good enough. I have to turn it up pretty loud to have it sound good. I was looking at some other receivers and am thinking about exchanging it for the yamaha rx-a1020. It seems to have all the features I want and a better distortion ratio. I was reading a review however (http://www.hometheater.com/content/yamaha-rx-a1020-av-receiver) and they gave the video prossesing a 2.5 out of 5. What does that mean? Does it effect the quality of blu-rays, video games, etc? I currently have a Panasonic 65VT50 and klipsch quintet speakers. Any thoughs would be great and thanks in advance!!
post #366 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can turn it up and it still sounds good then there's not really a problem. Don't expect the 1020 to sound a lot different, and you'll have to turn it up to the same level to get the same volume. If you want the extra features, then that's more reason to switch.
post #367 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 01:38 PM

Thanks kriktsemaj99,

What about the video prossesing? The link I posted gave it 2.5 out of 5 but never gave a reason or really talked about the video prossesing. Is that something to worry about?
post #368 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The RX-A1020 has the same video quality as the RX-V673 you have now.
post #369 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETH2AL View Post

What about the video prossesing? The link I posted gave it 2.5 out of 5 but never gave a reason or really talked about the video prossesing. Is that something to worry about?

Just like the 673 you have now, it won't be an issue for high-def sources that just get passed to the display without processing. It's 480i material (e.g. non-upscaled DVD) that isn't processed particularly well, but you might not care about that (e.g. if you have a good upscaling player, or your display does a good job).
post #370 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 03:14 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone using their receiver with a non-Yamaha (YWA-10) wireless adapter they could recommend? $100 is crazy for something that shouldn't be more than $30.
post #371 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Thanks again kriktsemaj99,

One more question. Does the a1020 convert component input to HDMI output? The 673 does not do that. Most of my connections are HDMI anyway so not a huge deal but my wife likes to play the wii.
post #372 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The RX-V673 can covert 480i component video to HDMI. The RX-A1020 can also convert 480p, 720p, and 1080i component video to HDMI.
post #373 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by metsallica View Post

Anyone using their receiver with a non-Yamaha (YWA-10) wireless adapter they could recommend? $100 is crazy for something that shouldn't be more than $30.

A wireless bridge would be more versatile. Something like a TRENDnet Wireless N Gaming Adapter TEW-647GA would work. You can spend a little more and get a built-in switch, or just hook up your own. Just search Amazon for "wireless bridge" or "wireless gaming adapter" to see more options.
post #374 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Ok so I've been playing around and I can honestly say after hooking up my new Panny DMP 500 and testing out Avatar in blu ray.... Pleased I am! biggrin.gif
Something I can't seem to find that displayed on my RX-V1600, and I really enjoy and hope is available on this unit: the front panel display showing DTS, DD EX, or whatever the source decoding is??? I like to visually see that the unit is playing these. Currently I can only get the unit to display: Movie Adventure, Spectacle, 9Chnl, etc. But not the actual audio being decoded...? confused.gif

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
post #375 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post

^^^Also make sure that Dynamic Range is set to Maximum in On Screen > Setup > Sound

Can not locate this...??? confused.gif

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

post #376 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

Check pages 106-107 of the 2010 manual. And here's also a screenshot out of the manual:

Edit: I just realized you have a 2010 so I updated this post. The screenshot is pretty much the same.

post #377 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

Check pages 106-107 of the 2010 manual. And here's also a screenshot out of the manual:

Edit: I just realized you have a 2010 so I updated this post. The screenshot is pretty much the same.

Thanks for the pic. It was set to MAX. :thumbup:

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

post #378 of 1862 Old 02-07-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyKat View Post

Hello Everyone,

I apologize if this thread has been posted before, but I could not find anything, so here it goes:

Yamaha RX-A3020 with OPPO 105; start playing a BD or DVD, Yamaha shows Dolby DTS or something else and all is good. When you get to the actual movie or switch languages or subtitles, Yamaha goes to "Analog" or "Decoder Off" and drops the audio. If you switch inputs, like to Cable or Apple TV and switch back to BD player, the problem is gone. I can reproduce this issue all day, every day.

Now, if I use player's HDMI 2 OUT (no QDEO), there is no issue. Also if I set Yamaha to LPCM, I have audio all the time.

Called OPPO first and they acknowledge the problem. It looks like this is not an OPPO issue. Yamaha does not acknowledge the issue, but tells me that "most definitely it is not the player". They don't give me any solution.

Have tried two brand new out-of-the-box Yamaha and OPPO, two different firmware on both brands and nothing seems to work.

I admit that I know nothing, therefore I would highly appreciate if you guys could shed some light into this.

Thank you in advance.

I have the older Oppo-bdp93 and it works fine with the 3020. It's the newer model 105 that doesn't work, so it's definitely an Oppo issue.
post #379 of 1862 Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyKat View Post

Yamaha RX-A3020 with OPPO 105; start playing a BD or DVD, Yamaha shows Dolby DTS or something else and all is good. When you get to the actual movie or switch languages or subtitles, Yamaha goes to "Analog" or "Decoder Off" and drops the audio. If you switch inputs, like to Cable or Apple TV and switch back to BD player, the problem is gone. I can reproduce this issue all day, every day.

I also have this problem (actually with an Oppo 103 rather than a 105, but they share the same HDMI electronics).

I was in contact with Oppo about it, and they say that the problem is due to the Yamaha firmware v1.62, and that therefore they are expecting (or at least hoping) that Yamaha will fix it. The guy at Oppo also said that the Oppo R&D guys would be delighted to have direct contact with Yamaha's R&D guys so they can jointly work on solving this and other potential issues. He said that other AV equipment manufacturers are very open about working together with Oppo's R&D people to resolve common interworking issues. But he complained that the big companies (such as Yamaha) do not want to talk to little companies like Oppo. => Personally I hope that this is just a human lack of communication rather than some global corporate domination strategy.

=> Therefore if anyone from Yamaha is following this thread, can I kindly request that you pick up the phone and talk to the R&D guys at Oppo; they would be delighted to hear from you...
JethroFloyd likes this.
post #380 of 1862 Old 02-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the pic. It was set to MAX. :thumbup:

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

Cool.

One more thing I want to say on this, check and see if your source/player has a DRC option, and if so make sure it's off. I have an Oppo 93, and according to the manual the DRC option affects LPCM signals that are output over HDMI, coax, and optical (not just analog multi-ch out). Thus, if I have the Oppo set to decode the audio instead of bitstream, it will apply DRC if the option is enabled.

post #381 of 1862 Old 02-08-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Ok so I've been playing around and I can honestly say after hooking up my new Panny DMP 500 and testing out Avatar in blu ray.... Pleased I am! biggrin.gif
Something I can't seem to find that displayed on my RX-V1600, and I really enjoy and hope is available on this unit: the front panel display showing DTS, DD EX, or whatever the source decoding is??? I like to visually see that the unit is playing these. Currently I can only get the unit to display: Movie Adventure, Spectacle, 9Chnl, etc. But not the actual audio being decoded...? confused.gif

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

If you "look under the hood" of the remote (the part that flips down to reveal more buttons), there's an "Info" button on the upper left just beneath the top-left-most button. This will toggle the front display between the current sound decoder and DSP program.

post #382 of 1862 Old 02-08-2013, 03:38 PM

The 2020 has ARC on on of the HDMI outputs so you will have the control your looking for
post #383 of 1862 Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 AM

TV screen flashes jumbled colors immediately before the picture becomes clear AFTER changing channels and modes.. This happens every time I change the channel and right before the picture becomes clear.. I have my HD Tivo DVR running thru a Yamaha RX-A3020 receiver and then to a 55 inch Samsung HD LCD all using HDMI cables.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? Why the picture is jumbled right after changing the channel. The jumbled picture only last 1-2 seconds and then everything is fine...

Thanks

Samsung 55 inch ES8000 LCD-3D 240 MHz
Yamaha RX-A3020 Receiver
Panamax M4300-PM 9 Outlet Clean Power Level 2 Surge
HD Tivo
Definitive Tech 800 Front, Center and Sound Speakers
Verizon FIOS
post #384 of 1862 Old 02-10-2013, 01:18 PM

I have just bought the RX-1020

When i'm streaming .flac from my pc via the "server" feature, the load times on the AV Controller app is quite slow when browsing. What it be faster if i used a NAS instead of the pc?
post #385 of 1862 Old 02-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamann4242 View Post

When i'm streaming .flac from my pc via the "server" feature, the load times on the AV Controller app is quite slow when browsing. What it be faster if i used a NAS instead of the pc?

I have run the app with flac on 6 devices (5 Android and an iPod) off a NAS dlna server. It runs perfectly on my Galaxy S3 and the wife's S3, however on all the other devices it is slow to load and crashes. I believe for me it is a version problem, and I happened to luck out when I installed ver 3.40 on our S3s - although I'd like to say the phone has a lot to do with it, too, but I can't say for sure. The other installs on the other devices were either older versions (2 Droid Xs, iPod), or newer (Galaxy Tab 10.1 1st gen). The Galaxy Tab isn't as bad as the Droid and iPod devices, but it times-out after a while and "forgets" my server and I have to restart the app to see the server again. I want to say the most recent ver. broke the smoothness of v3.40, but that's just my guess. Otherwise v3.40 on our S3s is flawless, so I'm afraid to update it.

Edit: I also should note that the NAS was originally running NTFS, but I formatted it to Linux EXT2 and the performance improved greatly. Transfers went from 6Mbps to 10.5Mbps., but it never completely eliminated the problems I was having with the other devices which is why I think it has to do with the device and/or the AV Controller app version.

If you are using an Android device, I'd suggest going to the Google Play Store and filtering the AV Controller app reviews based on your device. It might help identify if others with your device are also having issues with the app.

Lastly, check if your device has an option to keep the wifi on while in stand-by mode. This helped with my other devices a little bit as otherwise when the screen would timeout I would have to completely restart the app to restore functionality.

post #386 of 1862 Old 02-10-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:

I have run the app with flac on 6 devices (5 Android and an iPod) off a NAS dlna server. It runs perfectly on my Galaxy S3 and the wife's S3, however on all the other devices it is slow to load and crashes. I believe for me it is a version problem, and I happened to luck out when I installed ver 3.40 on our S3s - although I'd like to say the phone has a lot to do with it, too, but I can't say for sure. The other installs on the other devices were either older versions (2 Droid Xs, iPod), or newer (Galaxy Tab 10.1 1st gen). The Galaxy Tab isn't as bad as the Droid and iPod devices, but it times-out after a while and "forgets" my server and I have to restart the app to see the server again. I want to say the most recent ver. broke the smoothness of v3.40, but that's just my guess. Otherwise v3.40 on our S3s is flawless, so I'm afraid to update it.

Edit: I also should note that the NAS was originally running NTFS, but I formatted it to Linux EXT2 and the performance improved greatly. Transfers went from 6Mbps to 10.5Mbps., but it never completely eliminated the problems I was having with the other devices which is why I think it has to do with the device and/or the AV Controller app version.

If you are using an Android device, I'd suggest going to the Google Play Store and filtering the AV Controller app reviews based on your device. It might help identify if others with your device are also having issues with the app.

It might be the phone. When i look at the AVR GUI, it loads faster there then on my phone. My phone is a almost 3 year old HTC Desire. Maybe i should just buy a tablet to use as remote.
post #387 of 1862 Old 02-10-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:

It might be the phone. When i look at the AVR GUI, it loads faster there then on my phone. My phone is a almost 3 year old HTC Desire. Maybe i should just buy a tablet to use as remote.

There's also the web interface option, you could also try that if you decide to get a tablet. The only drawback is I can't seem to pinch out or zoom in on the screen (tried Opera, Chrome, Firefox). My tablet is 10.1", and the text on the web GUI where you select music is just large enough for me to be comfortable reading.

post #388 of 1862 Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:

I run tversity DLNA server from my 4 year old PC. The built in Windows media server is slow, and doesnt update properly when you add or remove files. Tversity's options allow you to display the folder structure instead of Artist, Genre, etc. since all my music tags are inconsistent.
My rx-a3020 with the remote is able to navigate through thousands of folders and files quickly. Its even better when you use the AV controller mobile application.
Try tversity, its free and works well.
post #389 of 1862 Old 02-12-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSCo View Post

TV screen flashes jumbled colors immediately before the picture becomes clear AFTER changing channels and modes.. This happens every time I change the channel and right before the picture becomes clear.. I have my HD Tivo DVR running thru a Yamaha RX-A3020 receiver and then to a 55 inch Samsung HD LCD all using HDMI cables.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? Why the picture is jumbled right after changing the channel. The jumbled picture only last 1-2 seconds and then everything is fine...

Thanks

Samsung 55 inch ES8000 LCD-3D 240 MHz
Yamaha RX-A3020 Receiver
Panamax M4300-PM 9 Outlet Clean Power Level 2 Surge
HD Tivo
Definitive Tech 800 Front, Center and Sound Speakers
Verizon FIOS

I also have HDTivo with A3020, all HDMI connections without this occurring. It could be a video setting on the A3020. I have it set to Auto. Sorry I don't have more insight. Did it start after adding A3020 to the system?
post #390 of 1862 Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by farkem View Post

A wireless bridge would be more versatile. Something like a TRENDnet Wireless N Gaming Adapter TEW-647GA would work. You can spend a little more and get a built-in switch, or just hook up your own. Just search Amazon for "wireless bridge" or "wireless gaming adapter" to see more options.

If you have an (old) LinkSys wireless router, you can turn it into a bridge by flashing it with DD-WRT. The added advantage is you end up with *4* Ethernet ports to use (TV, Blu-Ray, etc.).

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A1020 by PriceGrabber.com