The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1862 Old 02-27-2013, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeeky View Post

hello,
just got my 3020 and going through a quick set up. just curious i was thinking of running an external amp for my fronts and center but dont see an option for that in the amp configuration, does anyone know if there is a way to individually select amp assignment? secondly i have been playing around with the input names and assignments, is there a way to eliminate/ turn off all the extra sources that arent being used, i.e. av 5, av6 etc.? thanks in advance for any help

You shouldn't have to do anything if you're only adding a single amp for the main zone in a typical 5 or 7 channel setup. For what you're doing (3 channel amp) just leave it on the default amp configuration and it'll work fine. Think of the amp configuration more of like a speaker and zone configuration than an actual internal amp vs. external assignment. It only starts to matter for the main zone if you're using multiple amps (like say a 2-channel amp + 5-channel amp) or the full 11 channel setup.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1862 Old 02-27-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Using the default "Basic" power-amp setting would work, but if you're using all 11 possible speakers, including the rear presence speakers, you should select "9ch +FRONT". This will prevent the receiver swapping a pair of amplifers between the surround back speakers and rear presence speakers.

There's no way disable unused inputs. Most people don't actually use the source selector on the front panel so it's usually not a problem.
post #453 of 1862 Old 02-28-2013, 04:54 PM
JAC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroFloyd View Post

I also have the a3020 and the oppo 103 and I'm having the same issue. It's pretty frustrating.

I also have a 3020 and an Oppo 103 and am experiencing this same issue. It is driving me nuts because I cant get my universal remote to work with one button press when changing sources/ HDMI inputs. I keep losing audio and have to manually switch to a different AV input and back before the 3020 decoder switches on. I love the 3020 in all other respects but unless Yamaha fixes this soon I will be taking the issue up with the dealer and may have to swap brands.

One of the the problems with using LPCM from the Oppo is that the YPAO calibration becomes useless because the audio decoding is taking place in the Oppo - not the Yamaha receiver. Speaker configuration needs to be set up in the Oppo and the effect can not be as good as YPAO and we don't benefit from the decoder in the Yamaha. Why do we need to compromise like this when we buy top end equipment? It gets me mad when I read forum threads showing evidence of manufacturers not cooperating or even talking together to quickly resolve a problem that could otherwise potentially affect the reputation of both manufacturers and drive customers to other brands. I have been loyal to Yamaha and Oppo for many years but unless I soon get some comfort that this problem will be addressed quickly in a firmware update I will dump the guilty brand forever on principle alone. Likewise if the next firmware update is released in the short term and does not fix the problem I will likely also dump the brand if I can find something else. Life is too short - I want to enjoy my large investment in my home theatre to the max before my sight and hearing lets me down. Sorry for the rant but I am very frustrated over this mad.gif
post #454 of 1862 Old 02-28-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC View Post

One of the the problems with using LPCM from the Oppo is that the YPAO calibration becomes useless because the audio decoding is taking place in the Oppo - not the Yamaha receiver.

Are you sure about this? Seems like a very odd way to implement. My guess is that all YPAO, tone control, speaker delays, etc. are handled in the PCM domain. All the bitstream data needs to be decoded to PCM at some point, and usually it doesn't matter if it's the player or the receiver, the bits end up the same. Having the receiver do it just gives the end user a warm fuzzy that the DTS-HD MA light is lit.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #455 of 1862 Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:

I also have a 3020 and an Oppo 103 and am experiencing this same issue. It is driving me nuts because I cant get my universal remote to work with one button press when changing sources/ HDMI inputs. I keep losing audio and have to manually switch to a different AV input and back before the 3020 decoder switches on. I love the 3020 in all other respects but unless Yamaha fixes this soon I will be taking the issue up with the dealer and may have to swap brands.

One of the the problems with using LPCM from the Oppo is that the YPAO calibration becomes useless because the audio decoding is taking place in the Oppo - not the Yamaha receiver. Speaker configuration needs to be set up in the Oppo and the effect can not be as good as YPAO and we don't benefit from the decoder in the Yamaha. Why do we need to compromise like this when we buy top end equipment? It gets me mad when I read forum threads showing evidence of manufacturers not cooperating or even talking together to quickly resolve a problem that could otherwise potentially affect the reputation of both manufacturers and drive customers to other brands. I have been loyal to Yamaha and Oppo for many years but unless I soon get some comfort that this problem will be addressed quickly in a firmware update I will dump the guilty brand forever on principle alone. Likewise if the next firmware update is released in the short term and does not fix the problem I will likely also dump the brand if I can find something else. Life is too short - I want to enjoy my large investment in my home theatre to the max before my sight and hearing lets me down. Sorry for the rant but I am very frustrated over this mad.gif

Where the decoding takes place has nothing to do with YPAO or your speaker settings.... however, you need to make sure that there is no bass management setttigs enabled on the Oppo, but if there is none, the decoding will be indentical.

There are also people in the Marantz 8801 thread that are having issues with the Oppo's (audio pre feature, silence once the feature starts...)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1431914/marantz-av8801-preamp-processor-official-owners-thread/2430#post_22908309
Quote:
I've had no audio several times when starting a blu ray movie. The trailers on the disc will have audio, but when the feature starts no audio. Turning on and off the processor brings audio back. It's happened 3 or 4 times to me. Anybody else had something like that? Player is an oppo 103 and I'm using the hdmi cable that came with the oppo.

IMO, that points to an Oppo issue..
post #456 of 1862 Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One of the the problems with using LPCM from the Oppo is that the YPAO calibration becomes useless because the audio decoding is taking place in the Oppo - not the Yamaha receiver.

YPAO calibration is applied by the DSP to decoded PCM data, so having your source do the decoding doesn't prevent the receiver from using YPAO. The only time YPAO isn't applied is in Pure Direct mode which completely bypasses the DSP and when the analogue multi-channel input is used, as the receiver lacks the ADCs to convert this input into PCM.
post #457 of 1862 Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 PM

Liked: 11
Hello Everyone,

Oppo has released a fix for the "decoder off" thing. I have been running it since yesterday and have had zero problems so far. They sent the firmare notice by email, so it is there for all to download.
Great work Oppo; very glad I have three Oppo devices and will be getting them as new ones are released.

Brgds.
post #458 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 02:19 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

YPAO calibration is applied by the DSP to decoded PCM data, so having your source do the decoding doesn't prevent the receiver from using YPAO.

Indeed. Really the only downside of having the player convert Bitsream to PCM versus having the receiver do it, is that in the former case, the receiver obviously can't display the original source format on its front panel. (And frankly that is a nice feature to have, since you can see whether the source is uncompressed HD audio or regular old compressed stuff...)
post #459 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyKat View Post

Oppo has released a fix for the "decoder off" thing. ... They sent the firmare notice by email, so it is there for all to download.

I got my email too. But sadly the beta firmware is only for the US players not the EU ones like mine. They say that the EU ones will also get fixed in a couple of weeks. So I have to wait. Grrr...

... But seriously, I think this is again another brilliant example of Oppo service, listening to customers and fixing problems.
post #460 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 05:22 AM
JAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Indeed. Really the only downside of having the player convert Bitsream to PCM versus having the receiver do it, is that in the former case, the receiver obviously can't display the original source format on its front panel. (And frankly that is a nice feature to have, since you can see whether the source is uncompressed HD audio or regular old compressed stuff...)

Thanks for correcting me on this everyone. I guess its almost a moot point now that Yamaha have released a fix for the problem, except that this does not yet apply to Australian models - I can find no mention of the fix on the Australian web site.
post #461 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yamaha Receivers DSP modes make me dizzy

I finally got front presence speakers for my two Adventage receivers: an RX-A3000 and RX-A800 installed. They sound wonderful with movies and music and I love the dialog lift.

However, the second I turn these effects on I get dizzy. This is not a problem with other modes like Dolby Digital, DTS or Dolby ProLogic IIx music or movie decoding.

Has anyone else had this reaction? Am I missing a setting somewhere?
post #462 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeeky View Post

hello,
just got my 3020 and going through a quick set up. just curious i was thinking of running an external amp for my fronts and center but dont see an option for that in the amp configuration, does anyone know if there is a way to individually select amp assignment? secondly i have been playing around with the input names and assignments, is there a way to eliminate/ turn off all the extra sources that arent being used, i.e. av 5, av6 etc.? thanks in advance for any help

What external amp are you using?
post #463 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Emotiva 1x mini-X a-100
post #464 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post

I finally got front presence speakers for my two Adventage receivers: an RX-A3000 and RX-A800 installed. They sound wonderful with movies and music and I love the dialog lift.

However, the second I turn these effects on I get dizzy. This is not a problem with other modes like Dolby Digital, DTS or Dolby ProLogic IIx music or movie decoding.

Has anyone else had this reaction? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Dizziness like this is usually caused by a difference in perception between your senses. You might try adjusting the dialog lift and see you can find a better position for it.

Did you rerun YPAO after attaching the presence speakers?
post #465 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 01:40 PM

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V371 I bought new a year ago. I am looking at buying a RX-V559. I am looking at getting it for $90, is it worth it. I am getting ready to build a system with floor standing speakers, sub, center, and surround. Would it be worth getting the 90 Yamaha?
Thanks
post #466 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggwebb View Post

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V371 I bought new a year ago. I am looking at buying a RX-V559. I am looking at getting it for $90, is it worth it. I am getting ready to build a system with floor standing speakers, sub, center, and surround. Would it be worth getting the 90 Yamaha?
Thanks

You may want to start a new thread for this question. But that's a pretty old receiver, and would probably be ok as long as you don't need HDMI.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #467 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 PM

So it has no HDMI in the back?? Ok I though for 90 bucks I could even put in garage. But is it worth 90 bucks
post #468 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The RX-Vx59 series was from 2006ish timeframe.

http://usa.yamaha.com/product_archive/audio-visual/rx-v559_black__u/?mode=model

No HDMI. The next year, RX-Vx61 did have HDMI on some models. I recently purchased an RX-V661, as it's the last receiver at a decent price (now reasonable price 2nd hand) that had phono, multi-channel analog input, 7.1ch pre-out, s-video input/output, and HDMI. To get all that now, you're looking at at least the RX-A1020 at over $1k.

post #469 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:

I got my email too. But sadly the beta firmware is only for the US players not the EU ones like mine. They say that the EU ones will also get fixed in a couple of weeks. So I have to wait. Grrr...

... But seriously, I think this is again another brilliant example of Oppo service, listening to customers and fixing problems.

I feel your pain waiting for the fix, but at least it is a done deal. smile.gif

Oppo was really great working on this.
post #470 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:

... Yamaha have released a fix for the problem, except that this does not yet apply to Australian models - I can find no mention of the fix on the Australian web site.

You wouldn't find it on Yamaha's site anyway. The fix is/will be released by Oppo. And the Oppo people have sent a beta firmware version for the US players by e-mail to people who had raised the issue. For the rest of the world, we have to wait for it to be officially released on the Oppo web-site. And they say that should be in about 2 weeks.
post #471 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 PM
JAC

Quote:

You wouldn't find it on Yamaha's site anyway. The fix is/will be released by Oppo. And the Oppo people have sent a beta firmware version for the US players by e-mail to people who had raised the issue. For the rest of the world, we have to wait for it to be officially released on the Oppo web-site. And they say that should be in about 2 weeks.

Thanks Andrew. I will wait patiently...
post #472 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 11:55 PM

Anyone know anything about Polk audio RT-400 floor standing speaker. I need to find out some info on these, even a price to ask for them.....
Thanks
post #473 of 1862 Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 PM

Plus is my Yamaha receiver have enough power to run them plus sub
post #474 of 1862 Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggwebb View Post

Plus is my Yamaha receiver have enough power to run them plus sub

Yes, but I would set them as Small so the sub handles all the low bass. The sub doesn't need any power from the receiver, because it has its own amplifier.
post #475 of 1862 Old 03-02-2013, 08:07 PM

Liked: 12
Hey guys I just brought my A2020 home and Im setting it up

Im curious

my speakers are 8ohms nominal with (4ohm minimum)

should i set my A2020 to 4ohms or leave it at 8?

they're Mirage omni 550 and 150 (center/surrounds) speakers

I've never tried fiddling with the Ohms so im clueless

edit, this is odd i tried setting the receiver to 4Ohms to test it out but it will only go to 6Ohms

And im getting a W-3 error with YPAO "significant volume differences" -_-

edit 2: got the W-3 error fixed unfortunately the receiver is still only letting me do 6Ohms

ah well i dont care i tested the unit out Im in LOVE biggrin.gif

post #476 of 1862 Old 03-02-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Just leave it at the default 8 ohms.

For the W-3 error, it's probably the subwoofer that is set too high or too low (probably too low). How is the sub's own volume set (what position is the volume knob in)?
post #477 of 1862 Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 PM

Ok, I have a RX-V371 and a older RX-V559. I am going to hook up two polk audio RT-400 and just a basic Yamaha center. Which Reciever will sound the best or be the best for my setup for now??
Adam Webb
post #478 of 1862 Old 03-02-2013, 10:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Just leave it at the default 8 ohms.

For the W-3 error, it's probably the subwoofer that is set too high or too low (probably too low). How is the sub's own volume set (what position is the volume knob in)?

hey thanks for the reply

yeah i got the W-3 error fixed, it was the subwoofer, the volume was at 50%, but the problem was i stupidly plugged the subwoofer into the surround back -_-

and Im guessing the reason why i can only go to 6Ohms is because the surrounds aren't able to do 4
I've got the receiver set to 6Ohms anyhow i'm not sure if its just me but it seems louder to me this way (listened to the same song but had to turn it down a bit)

ill switch it back to 8ohms next i get a chance im pooped lol

thanks again

post #479 of 1862 Old 03-03-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

There are only 2 settings, 8 or 6 ohms (there is no setting for 4 ohms). Every time this comes up the advice is usually to leave it at the 8 ohm setting, unless you notice the receiver is getting very hot at loud volumes in which case you could try 6 ohms.
StylinRed likes this.
post #480 of 1862 Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 AM

I can't seem to find a dedicated RX-A820 thread, I hope it is ok to ask these questions here......

I would like to run 9.1 using:

Front/main
Center
Front presence
Rear surround
Rear back
Sub

As we all know, the amp will not power rear back and front presence at the same time. If I buy an external amp for the rear back speakers, will the pre outs be active? I have a lead on a nice small 4 channel amp that I could get for a pretty good price to run the rear back speakers and maybe crossover 2 channels for my center channel.

Thank you,

Tim
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A1020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page