The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1767 Old 05-06-2013, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm experiencing some problems with AirPlay.
I have no problems with the network on any devices, but still AirPlay from iPhones, iPad and Macs stutters.

VERY annoying when listening to music.

Anyone else seen this?

I also have a lot of problems with net-radio. It works for local radio shows or podcasts, but international radio works for 30-60 seconds, then stops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1767 Old 05-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My airplay works perfectly fine. Try to change channel on your router. Maybe interfere with something else?
post #723 of 1767 Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 PM

Liked: 13
I just picked up a new RX-A2020 and I am finding one thing confusing...One thing for now anyway...

How do I power zone 2 on from the remote? The manual says to "Press Zone repeatedly to select a zone" Well, the remote supplied with my A2020 doesn't have a "Zone" button, like the one shown on page 16 of the manual (downloaded version) My remote is the one shown on page 15...No Zone button.

EDIT... I figured it out, the bottom portion of the remote opens...and there it is, a Zone button...

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Where I work... www.rpm-psi.com
post #724 of 1767 Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarg37 View Post

i need help restoring my yamaha a2000 reciever back to original firmware

i have nothing but issuses with my yds12 ipod adapter, yamaha tech support is usless !! and nothing but run around with apple support engineers.

the gui locks up after 3 seconds whene the ipod is docked, im using a iphone 5 with a lightning adapter everything locks up and cant control the ipod at all.

i never had any issues until the last firmware updat and iphone 6.1.3 update did them both around the same time,

i know you can restore the reciever to factory again but how do you restore to a older firmware version?

any help would be great !
post #725 of 1767 Old 05-13-2013, 12:35 AM

Hi, I have an A1020 amp and have lost all network connection between the iPad and the amp. Have you successfully fixed the problem, if so I would be great full for any advice.

Regards
Lugs
post #726 of 1767 Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 AM

I currently am using a rx-a2020, and have speakers connected in zones 1,2,3.
I want to connect a Sonos Connect Amp. I want the 2020 to be a source to the Sonos, so should I use the AV out or the Pre Out, or the Zone Out?
The Sonos only has a Red/White input. Since its only Stereo, can I just use Front/F.Presence Pre-Out ?
post #727 of 1767 Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'd connect the Sonos to the AV out as that output isn't volume controlled and the Sonos has its own volume control. However, there's no conversion from HDMI or optical/coaxial digital audio so it would only work with internal sources and sources you've (also) connected with analogue audio cables. You could use the main zone pre-out (labeled just "Front" on the RX-A2020), and it would support any source, but you'd have two volume controls you'd need to adjust. It would also be missing the centre and other channels, along with any bass redirected to the subwoofer. The zone 2/3 pre-outs have the same analogue source limitation as the AV out and would put two volume controls in the circuit.
post #728 of 1767 Old 05-13-2013, 08:03 PM

Liked: 11
Would like to know where these receivers are built? Interested in the 2020.

thanks
post #729 of 1767 Old 05-13-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo Lopez View Post

thanks
I was looking for that tidbit today in a another forum. Yamaha doesn't put where it is made on the rear view of chassis, but just thought of the shipping box label (required by customs) displayed on ebay for the 2020. 4th image on right, use zoom.

See this link.

Made in Malaysia.

Oppo Beta Group
post #730 of 1767 Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Made in Malaysia.

In a factory built and owned by Yamaha, IIRC....

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
post #731 of 1767 Old 05-14-2013, 01:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo Lopez View Post

thanks
You have me curious. If it is made in certain countries will you refuse to buy it? If so you should be prepared to make a list and do a great deal of research. I doubt it is made in any 1 country. It may be assembled in Malaysia but where are all the parts made? That should be the question. I think if you dig deep enough you will find that the parts are made in many different countries like nearly everything else today in this global economy.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #732 of 1767 Old 05-14-2013, 04:06 AM

Liked: 53
Yamaha is the only major company to build in its own factory. Everyone else (i.e. Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Harman, Onkyo, etc.) outsource their manufacturing. Some of the low end Yamaha's are also outsourced to remain price competitive. The ones built in the Yamaha plants have the best reliability statistically by a wide margin among the industry.
post #733 of 1767 Old 05-14-2013, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Odd YPAO result for new Sub Woofer

I just bought a new sub woofer (namely an SB12-NSD from SV Sound).

But after running the YPAO calibration again, the receiver reports the sub as being 0.5m from the seating position(s). Why would that be?

I am concerned that if the receiver cannot even get the distance right, then how can one expect that it got anything else right?
post #734 of 1767 Old 05-14-2013, 11:56 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Odd YPAO result for new Sub Woofer

I just bought a new sub woofer (namely an SB12-NSD from SV Sound).

But after running the YPAO calibration again, the receiver reports the sub as being 0.5m from the seating position(s). Why would that be?

I am concerned that if the receiver cannot even get the distance right, then how can one expect that it got anything else right?

I am sure others will chime in with more detailed explanation but the DISTANCE does not refer to the physical/linear distance but rather acoustical distance.
post #735 of 1767 Old 05-15-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARHENTO View Post

I am sure others will chime in with more detailed explanation but the DISTANCE does not refer to the physical/linear distance but rather acoustical distance.

Thanks, but this leaves me none the wiser. What YPAO reports is 0.5m (which in old units is 20 inches), when the real distance is 4.0m. Are you saying that the sound is going through a wormhole? Anyway, with such a nonsensical measurement, how can I in any way trust what YPAO is doing? (I don't...)
post #736 of 1767 Old 05-15-2013, 03:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, but this leaves me none the wiser. What YPAO reports is 0.5m (which in old units is 20 inches), when the real distance is 4.0m. Are you saying that the sound is going through a wormhole? Anyway, with such a nonsensical measurement, how can I in any way trust what YPAO is doing? (I don't...)
Its not unusual for the sub distance to be off. Are the other speaker distances correct?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #737 of 1767 Old 05-15-2013, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Its not unusual for the sub distance to be off. Are the other speaker distances correct?

Yes all other distances for FL, FR, CTR, SL, SR are completely correct.

The sub is right next to the FL; which is correctly shown as 3.5m away; so the sub is a bit over 3.5m away; but YPAO reports it as 0.5m ...
post #738 of 1767 Old 05-15-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:

I could be wrong here, if I am correct me...

What's happening here is an adjustment for time delay. The added circuitry in the sub signal processing/amplification causes a slight delay in the sound hitting the MLP. To correct for this the distance is adjusted accordingly. YPAO is trying to set the speakers and the sub so the output from all of them reach the MLP at the same time.

post #739 of 1767 Old 05-15-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

When YPAO reports a larger distance than expected, it's usually because of internal delays in the sub (as mentioned above) and you should keep the larger distance.

But when YPAO reoprts a much shorter distance it's for a different reason. Could be because the mic is picking up sound that travels through the floor (much faster than through the air). In this case you should change the YPAO value to the true sub distance.

Distances for other speakers usually come out pretty accurate.
post #740 of 1767 Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

But when YPAO reoprts a much shorter distance it's for a different reason. Could be because the mic is picking up sound that travels through the floor (much faster than through the air). In this case you should change the YPAO value to the true sub distance.

If it is due to sound waves traveling through the floor, you could also try setting the sub on something to decouple it from the floor.

post #741 of 1767 Old 05-15-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:

But when YPAO reoprts a much shorter distance it's for a different reason. Could be because the mic is picking up sound that travels through the floor (much faster than through the air).

The building is thick concrete, and it would be hard to shake it. Its not like we have a wooden suspended floor. And the mic was mounted on a short photo tripod standing on the sofa cushions. So I am not convinced of this being the cause.

There are some other ideas that occurred to me, namely:

1) A reflection issue? The mic was on the sofa backed against the wall (so the mic was 0.5m from the wall behind, and 3.5m .. 4.0m from the sub...)

2) A standing wave / resonance issue? The room is an open plan L shape with a big chimney place in the middle of one wall; construction is concrete; floor covering is engineered wood with rugs on top.

3) A passive resonance with the main speakers? The FL & FR mains are big (old) B&W Matrixes which go down about 40Hz.
post #742 of 1767 Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 AM

FWIW here's a quote from Yamaha:

"YPAO analyzes room acoustics and performs speaker angle measurements, then calibrates audio parameters to achieve optimum sound at any of several listening positions. It employs Reflected Sound Control to correct early reflections for studio-quality sound."

"Yamaha’s YPAO system uses a small microphone and sophisticated equalization to automatically set the best sound for any room, no matter where the speakers are. First it checks the speaker connections and phase of each speaker. Then it sends out tones which are captured by the microphone to analyze the room acoustics and sets a variety of parameters, such as the speaker size, the distance of the speakers and even the sound pressure level, etc. Until it achieves the best sound conditions for your room and you don't have to do anything!"
post #743 of 1767 Old 05-15-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

The building is thick concrete, and it would be hard to shake it.

Concrete doesn't make for perfect sound proofing. If you have neighbours on the other side of your concrete walls or floors, I'm sure you've noticed this.
Quote:
1) A reflection issue? The mic was on the sofa backed against the wall (so the mic was 0.5m from the wall behind, and 3.5m .. 4.0m from the sub...)

2) A standing wave / resonance issue? The room is an open plan L shape with a big chimney place in the middle of one wall; construction is concrete; floor covering is engineered wood with rugs on top.

3) A passive resonance with the main speakers? The FL & FR mains are big (old) B&W Matrixes which go down about 40Hz.

1) This would increase the distance, not shorten it.

2) The sound resonating through the floor, either the concete or the engineered wood, is essentially what kriktsemaj99 is suggesting is causing your problem.

3) The other speakers aren't in use when the subwoofer is being tested.

YPAO is just supposed to set your speaker settings automatically. If gets something wrong and you know the correct value then the solution to your problem is simple. Do what kriktsemaj99 suggested and manually set the correct value.
post #744 of 1767 Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 177

Does YPAO disregard the speaker's setting (Large versus Small) during its calibration? I know Audyssey and MCACC does as it EQs the entire audio range... I'm presuming YPAO does as well? I know the lower-end models don't EQ the sub or below x but that's not the question. I also noticed with my center channel the EQ has two points (Steps) at the same frequency which appears rather strange to my thinking...

post #745 of 1767 Old 05-16-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Yes, YPAO ignores the speaker size setting. So if you want to change it you have to do it after running YPAO.

When checking the EQ results, look at the Q factor (the width of the filter) as well as the centre frequency. If you have two filters at the same frequency they probably have different Q factors, in which case they couldn't be replaced by a single filter.
post #746 of 1767 Old 05-16-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I tried finding a dedicated YPAO thread without success. I'll dig into the Q factor as that's foreign to me as well...

I must say YPAO came up with rather strange settings. I have four speakers (Fronts and Surrounds) with built-in powered subs and it set them to Small. The center and rear surrounds to Large. Other EQ programs have set the Fronts to Small on occasion but never all of the speakers to the opposite one would think on the surface.

post #747 of 1767 Old 05-16-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #748 of 1767 Old 05-16-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Yes, YPAO ignores the speaker size setting. So if you want to change it you have to do it after running YPAO.

I beg to differ unless I miss something or misunderstand the question.
YPAO does not ignore the speaker size setting. It takes it into account among other factors when it calculates the room correction. I refer you to the quote above. Also try this: Before running YPAO, set your speakers to small (assuming you have floor standing "large" speakers). After running YPAO, you will notice that it set your speaker to "large". To me, that means that it took the speaker specs into account and not ignored it, otherwise it would not have changed the speaker size from small (which you manually set) to large.
post #749 of 1767 Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARHENTO View Post

I beg to differ unless I miss something or misunderstand the question.

I think you are missing the question and or answer. The question is does YPAO EQ all (within its ability) frequencies regardless of how the speaker is set going in. Such as does it disregard the setting which certainly appears to be the case as the EQ filters appear to be the same regardless of the setting prior to EQing (from my experience). As an example if the Center is set to Small and the crossover is set to 100Hz you'll still see it EQed down to 65Hz (or whatnot).

Bottom line if you switch speakers from Small to Large or Large to Small there is no reason to rerun YPAO...

post #750 of 1767 Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 AM

You posed the question so I would guess you know exactly what you were asking about.

The way the question was worded and asked made me answer the way I did.

What I think YPAO does in room correction is that it includes all factors it considers essential - speaker size, phase, distance, crossover, etc. It then calculates and comes up with whatever it considers as the optimized settings for you.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A1020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page