The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1766 Old 06-24-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mania K View Post

Thanks for the heads up about the VGA i thought the receiver had that connection but its the service port, so ill be doing dvi to hdmi, never the less
I bought the RXA-1020 over the week end, thanks you all for the information it helped in my decision. Now i need a good set of speakers to go with it !

Apparently I did a really BAD job of explaining things because you bought the version WITHOUT the HQV chip (only the 2020 and 3020 have HQV). Whatever.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1766 Old 06-27-2013, 03:54 PM

Liked: 14
Just did a firmware update 1.6 on my A3020 and all went well without any hiccup via USB.
SleepyKat likes this.
post #903 of 1766 Old 06-28-2013, 02:15 AM

Liked: 10
I have the RX-A1020 with a Samsung PS51E550 Plasma TV. I connect the through the Anynet + hdmi-cec hdmi connection. When I power-on the amp and TV the TV sound defaults to the Samsung Apps sound which is always off. I then have to select the component on the remote for a second time to select the TV. How do I stop this from happening.
post #904 of 1766 Old 06-28-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARHENTO View Post

Just did a firmware update 1.6 on my A3020 and all went well without any hiccup via USB.

What is the firmware update supposed to fix or add? Thanks
post #905 of 1766 Old 06-28-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

What is the firmware update supposed to fix or add? Thanks
Here's what the website says about the firmware update:

Yamaha is pleased to offer the following firmware update to ensure the best possible performance and latest features for your AV receiver.

This firmware
1. Improves connectivity and stability with AV Controller App
2. Improves DLNA network function stability
3. Other bug fix

Although I had no issue before the update, I am a believer in making my equipment up-to-date.
post #906 of 1766 Old 06-28-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 838
As Im sure you are aware sometimes those updates can fix one thing and mess up another.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #907 of 1766 Old 06-28-2013, 07:26 AM

So far I have been fortunate. Whether it's audio equipment or DSLR, firmware updates have not introduced new headaches. Knock on wood.
post #908 of 1766 Old 06-28-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARHENTO View Post

So far I have been fortunate. Whether it's audio equipment or DSLR, firmware updates have not introduced new headaches. Knock on wood.
I wish I could say that. The last update from Yamaha for my 675 has Rhapsody all messed up.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #909 of 1766 Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 AM

Posted this outside of this offical thread and have no answers so thought I would post it here as well.

new RX A3020 unit purchased in april 2013, installed in may and has been working fine configured as 9.2 main zone, 2 chanlen remote on zone 3 - Now the unit will not power up. checked 120 volt is present at monster surege protector outlet unit is plugged into. Tried to hold down main power buttong for 10 seconds, no results - no lights come on at all, nothing blinks, etc - have tried all zone power up commands from remote as well.

yamaha sevice manual says something about a saftey if power is dropped 3 consecutive times, to call for service -anyone know how to reset this,if it is an easy fix or do I have to lug the unit over 50 miles to my nearest factory authorised repair center and get in the backlog rotaion of theris?

Thanks for any help given!
post #910 of 1766 Old 07-02-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmeris View Post

Posted this outside of this offical thread and have no answers so thought I would post it here as well.

new RX A3020 unit purchased in april 2013, installed in may and has been working fine configured as 9.2 main zone, 2 chanlen remote on zone 3 - Now the unit will not power up. checked 120 volt is present at monster surege protector outlet unit is plugged into. Tried to hold down main power buttong for 10 seconds, no results - no lights come on at all, nothing blinks, etc - have tried all zone power up commands from remote as well.

yamaha sevice manual says something about a saftey if power is dropped 3 consecutive times, to call for service -anyone know how to reset this,if it is an easy fix or do I have to lug the unit over 50 miles to my nearest factory authorised repair center and get in the backlog rotaion of theris?

Try contacting yamaha support first. Maybe their tech can walk you through a simple fix, if not I'm afraid you will have to deal with that 50-mile drive.
post #911 of 1766 Old 07-02-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Try contacting yamaha support first. Maybe their tech can walk you through a simple fix, if not I'm afraid you will have to deal with that 50-mile drive.
post #912 of 1766 Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

As Im sure you are aware sometimes those updates can fix one thing and mess up another.

So the first issue I have noticed with this new firmware is that when connected to a Sky+ Box the audio drops out every so often for about 1-2 secs. This didn't happen prior to the update.
post #913 of 1766 Old 07-06-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:

As a follow up, sent yamaha an email, no response -

So Decided to open up the case and see if there was a fuse or reset button - there is a power supply board that has a fuse on it way down in the bottom corner a mini fuse, you would have to pull the board out by removing 2 screws and disconnecting several connectors. i decided to try a few things, and just disconnected the main connectotthat goes from the power board to the processor board and the one that goes to the main board, basicaly the board on the very top and the board on the very bottom- there are a couple of connectors on the power board itself, but i left those alone. i disconnected the 2 boards, waited a bit and connected them back up. I then plugged the main power cord back in, hit the main power button and.................biggrin.gif no 50 mile trip.

Hope this helps someon in the future
post #914 of 1766 Old 07-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:

As a follow up, sent yamaha an email, no response -

So Decided to open up the case and see if there was a fuse or reset button - there is a power supply board that has a fuse on it way down in the bottom corner a mini fuse, you would have to pull the board out by removing 2 screws and disconnecting several connectors. i decided to try a few things, and just disconnected the main connectotthat goes from the power board to the processor board and the one that goes to the main board, basicaly the board on the very top and the board on the very bottom- there are a couple of connectors on the power board itself, but i left those alone. i disconnected the 2 boards, waited a bit and connected them back up. I then plugged the main power cord back in, hit the main power button and.................biggrin.gif no 50 mile trip.

Hope this helps someon in the future

Talk about a SUCCESS story. Did you replace the fuse?
post #915 of 1766 Old 07-08-2013, 10:17 AM

I have a question, for anyone who may be able to offer some help. I can not seem to get my rear surround speakers working on my Yamaha 3020. I calibrated them up with the YPAO mic. Everything seemed to work and register fine. I am using a 5.1 setup with the surround speakers set to SL and SR. When watching TV, the receiver says Dobly II but I hear nothing from the speakers. I tried watching a blue-ray last night and I also heard nothing from the surround channels. The dialogue is coming from the center channel and the front left and right are working fine. As well, the receiver would not say Dobly II, when playing back a blue-ray. I checked the output of my Samsung Blu-ray player, it was set to dolby true HD. The receiver was set in movie, adventure mode.
The only note after doing some reading of the manual this morning was the Parametric EQ was set to YPAO:Flat, it sounds like YPAO Natural would be a better choice although I am unsure if this would affect surround sound. Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks!
post #916 of 1766 Old 07-08-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
You said "rear surround speakers", but 5.1 doesn't use rear surrounds. Make sure the surrounds are plugged into the speaker terminals marked SURROUND, and not the ones marked SURROUND BACK.

And for testing you can always turn on the manual test tones to send a tone to each speaker in turn (in the menu under Manual Setup).
post #917 of 1766 Old 07-08-2013, 11:29 AM

Sorry my bad, I meant to say surround, the SL and SR are connected. I ran the calibration and they were both making tones. I will try the manual tones and see if I get something. For some reason I feel like it's a decoder issue or some setting I do not have configured properly.
post #918 of 1766 Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 PM

So, I stand corrected. I came home this evening and turned off the speakers on my TV and I am not getting any sound from any of my speakers. I do get a test tone for all of the 5.1 speakers no problem and ran the calibration fine. I have tried a blu-ray player and cable box both through HDMI(two separate inputs). I see a picture on the TV from both inputs and do not get audio. I have also tried an ipod through a optical input and the audio does not work for that either. I am a pretty tech savvy person, so that makes this even more frustrating as I have spend over a couple of hours trying to figure out what the issue is. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. thanks again.
post #919 of 1766 Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

In the HDMI menu under Audio Output, check that output is On for Amp. It sounds like it's currently On for the HDMI outputs if you are getting sound through the TV speakers, but normally you want it Off for HDMI outputs (because the TV can't play all the audio formats that the Amp can).
post #920 of 1766 Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I like the looks of the new 3030 but if I can grab a 3020 on the cheap I may go for it. Can someone answer a few quick questions?

1. Can you play toslink or coax inputs in the zones?
2. Can independent hdmi audio get played back in the zones?
3. If "no" to the above, Is there at least a "party" mode where one HDMI input can be played across all inputs?
4. Is there independent EQing for 2 subs? And then the EQing is just down to ~40hz, correct?

Thanks a ton. I figure someone can nail all four of these in 60 seconds.

EDIT: ok, I unearthed a multi zone flow chart and it appears that all inputs are pretty much a "go" to zone 2 but 3 is analog only (besides tuner usb and network)? Of course HDMI can be pumped to Z2 and Z4 but that's no of much use to me.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #921 of 1766 Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

For point 4, yes the 3020 and 3030 support two independent subs, each with its own distance, level and EQ. The sub EQ consists of 4 filters centered at 1/3 octave intervals (31.3, 39.4, 49.6, 62.5Hz, etc.), so it won't work so well if your room needs correction at frequencies in between the ones supported. Optimizing sub placement and/or a separate sub EQ system is still a good idea.
post #922 of 1766 Old 07-09-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
^ yeah, thanks. That's a shame in a flagship product, these days. It misses a couple of spots for me, never mind everything below 30 hz.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #923 of 1766 Old 07-10-2013, 08:15 AM

Liked: 16
Sorry if these have been answered before but I am new to this thread. I've just ordered a 2020.

1. Is streamed music gapless?

2. If there is only one listening position is there any point running all the 8 mic calibration positions? The manual seems to be saying not, but I always run all 8 with Audyssey regardless of the number of listening positions.

Cheers

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #924 of 1766 Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 AM

Liked: 12
On question 2, try it and see what you think. It's really pretty painless. I tried both (though only with 4 listening positions) and definitely found the multi-position gave me better results. (And I don't recall the manual saying that only 1 is ok -- possible, yes, ok, no.)

Put it this way -- your room is not uniform. You have furniture, you may have different positions that at times you might like to sit in, the room shape may not be a strict box, you may have various openings and reflecting surfaces like doors windows, etc. All these affect how the sound waves will move in the room, how they bounce and how much they bounce (carpet vs. tile for example, flat ceiling vs. cathedral). You may not recognize differences as you move around, but YPAO will measure and calibrate for them IF you use various positions. Use only one position and you have only one reference. Think of it as complex triangulation.

Now will everyone agree with me? Probably not. But it doesn't hurt you at all to try it. And don't forget to move your furniture back in place BEFORE you use YPAO.

Rich
post #925 of 1766 Old 07-10-2013, 04:23 PM

I have tried one listening position, and I have tried multi-listening positions up to the max of 8. I have gone back and forth on this and personally I like the result of multi-position better. It does not take very long to do 8 so why not? It's almost like a waste of your receiver's capability if you don't utilize it. And don'tf forget to do angle measurement.
post #926 of 1766 Old 07-10-2013, 10:29 PM

Liked: 16
Thanks to you both. I read the manual in more detail and now it seems to be suggesting five readings for a single listening position, page 51 refers. That somehow seems more what you'd expect, I.e. more data equals better results, if its good data.

There is no angle measurent on the 2020 just the 3020. No boomerang included smile.gif

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #927 of 1766 Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 PM

Just purchased a2020 from BB and am excited about what all the reviews and everyone is saying about this machine, cant wait to set it up.

Quick question, In setting up a Zone 2&3 setup like the image referenced (page 32 of the a2020 manual) can I just send an audio signal from my tv (lets say optical, coaxil or HDMI?) from zone 2 (bedroom) to the receiver and have the zone 2 speakers playback its audio?

With the Zone 3 (bathroom) speakers i only want to play networked audio, airplay etc.

The main zone is where both audio and video from my main TV will play.
post #928 of 1766 Old 07-12-2013, 01:33 PM

Hope some one can help me out.

I have Aventage a2020 and klipsch 82ii speaker set up. I have been using it for few days with the klipsch sub sw 310 but haven't been able to appreciate the bass.

So , I ran YPAO again. Somewhere I read that we should change the large to "small" speakers. Do we do it after we run the YPAO and if yes then how. I mean, should I save my results from auto setup and then go to manual setup again and change the speaker size there or is there anyway I can change the speaker to small after running ypao but before saving it.

BTW my sub is at +1.5 db as per YPAO ( my sub's volume/gain is at around 70%- I increased it from 50% as earlier he YPAO showed it at +10db). I hope I am doing the right thing.

Thanks.
post #929 of 1766 Old 07-12-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicismylife View Post

Hope some one can help me out.

I have Aventage a2020 and klipsch 82ii speaker set up. I have been using it for few days with the klipsch sub sw 310 but haven't been able to appreciate the bass.

So , I ran YPAO again. Somewhere I read that we should change the large to "small" speakers. Do we do it after we run the YPAO and if yes then how. I mean, should I save my results from auto setup and then go to manual setup again and change the speaker size there or is there anyway I can change the speaker to small after running ypao but before saving it.

BTW my sub is at +1.5 db as per YPAO ( my sub's volume/gain is at around 70%- I increased it from 50% as earlier he YPAO showed it at +10db). I hope I am doing the right thing.

Thanks.

With my 3020 I run YPAO a couple of times to make sure i get similar results. Make sure the top of the mike is not obstructed and is level. On the 3rd try or so if the results look reasonable, I save them then go into manual setup and change large to small for the LCR. It will prompt you to chose a crossover point. Commonly accepted starting point is 80 hz for all 3. For your bass problem, I would increase the YPAO results for the sub by 2-3 DB to start. Then listen to some familiar source material including something with a lot of bass. Also listen to dialog from voices familiar to you. Do you like what you hear? If so, enjoy and tweak later. If bass continues to be a problem, you can set the L&R to large and somewhere in the sub setup there is an option that lets the L&R share bass with the sub. That might help. In short, YPAO can help a lot but you have to experiment with speaker placement as well particularly with the sub and the tow in of the L&R. Good luck.
musicismylife likes this.
post #930 of 1766 Old 07-12-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

With my 3020 I run YPAO a couple of times to make sure i get similar results. Make sure the top of the mike is not obstructed and is level. On the 3rd try or so if the results look reasonable, I save them then go into manual setup and change large to small for the LCR. It will prompt you to chose a crossover point. Commonly accepted starting point is 80 hz for all 3. For your bass problem, I would increase the YPAO results for the sub by 2-3 DB to start. Then listen to some familiar source material including something with a lot of bass. Also listen to dialog from voices familiar to you. Do you like what you hear? If so, enjoy and tweak later. If bass continues to be a problem, you can set the L&R to large and somewhere in the sub setup there is an option that lets the L&R share bass with the sub. That might help. In short, YPAO can help a lot but you have to experiment with speaker placement as well particularly with the sub and the tow in of the L&R. Good luck.

Thanks for letting me know. I will spend some time tweaking it out. Have a good weekend.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A1020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page