The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1761 Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
here are a couple. hope they came out ok

RXA3020 captures.docx 241k .docx file
Attached Files
File Type: docx RXA3020 captures.docx (241.0 KB, 320 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1761 Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Thanks, it looks useful (assuming it covers all the settings) although it's not the prettiest looking interface. Also Receiver Manager had both an async mode (for off-line setup) and a real-time mode where changes happen immediately.

I wonder why they didn't document it and which models include it?
post #93 of 1761 Old 10-03-2012, 06:42 AM

yep, not pretty, but so far, i haven't found any features that aren't in there somewhere. it all appears to be the equivalent of the real time mode
post #94 of 1761 Old 10-04-2012, 10:44 AM

Liked: 12
While waiting on my 2020 I'm trying to understand the functionality of the two HDMI outputs. I read somewhere that these are set up as pass through which implies the selected HDMI input continues to drive the connected output monitor even when the receiver is off. I really hope so but so far I haven't been able to confirm this.

Do any of you know if this is the case?
post #95 of 1761 Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
There's a "Standby Through" feature that if enabled will let the receiver pass through HDMI signals when it's in standby mode (turned off). You can even change HDMI inputs using the remote when the receiver is in standby. Unfortunately the receiver's power consumption while in standby goes up from bout 0.3W to 4.2W or more when this feature is enabled, so it's not for the eco-minded.
post #96 of 1761 Old 10-07-2012, 04:13 AM

Hi guys. I'm having an RX-V2700 which I really love. It's great looking, sounds great and just works nicely. However, it has too few HDMI inputs and it would be fun to get a new toy, so I'm thinking of replacing it with the new A2020. I have a few things I want to get sorted that I don't like about the RX-V2700, namely:

• Doesn't work with HDMI-CEC (HDMI Control) with my Pioneer PDP-LX5090H TV. I would like for the TV to turn on when I turn on the receiver or vice versa. I do it with macros on the receiver remote today, but it's an ugly hack. Any experiences if this works with Yamaha's newer models?
  • I don't like the old input names of my RX-V2700. Cable/Sat, Tape, VCR etc. It has always felt bad when I have to press VCR and the display (and remote) says "Apple TV" but the button does not. I'm glad to see the new receivers don't have labels
  • I've never liked the remote control of the RX-V2700. It's plasticky, glows an ugly yellow and is just a mess. Input labels are the biggest problem as my family can't use it. Longtime Yamaha owners, do you have anything to share about the new aluminum-look remote?
  • The Pure Direct mode of the RX-V2700 is essentially useless with small speakers, since it disables the subwoofer. Any improvements there?
  • Horrible, horrible looking GUI, which, alas, seems to be the case even today.

My concerns are mainly with usability as the sound and looks of Yamaha gear are essentially great. I'm a big fan of Apple and Bang & Olufsen gear because of their ease of use. I press play on my iPad and my BeoPlay A8 starts playing and I can control the volume from the iPad. Very user-friendly. I realize I'm never gonna get that level of usability with a complicated home theatre setup, but I want to get as close as possible. The volume interlock feature of the 2020's AirPlay support is one step in the right direction. Unlabeled inputs with custom LCD labels is another.
post #97 of 1761 Old 10-07-2012, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundmark View Post

Hi guys. I'm having an RX-V2700 which I really love. It's great looking, sounds great and just works nicely. However, it lacks HDMI inputs .

Funny, my RX-V2700B has three HDMI inputs. Accepts up to 8 channel PCM input via HDMI.

It does not have Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD-MA decoders, but my PS3 decodes these and sends them across as multi channel PCM, up to 192kHz sampling rate too.

Craig.
post #98 of 1761 Old 10-07-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Mecak View Post

Funny, my RX-V2700B has three HDMI inputs. Accepts up to 8 channel PCM input via HDMI.
It does not have Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD-MA decoders, but my PS3 decodes these and sends them across as multi channel PCM, up to 192kHz sampling rate too.
Craig.

Sorry, bad wording. It has 3 inputs, but it's not enough these days. Changed my post above smile.gif
post #99 of 1761 Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Sorry, bad wording. It has 3 inputs, but it's not enough these days. Changed my post above smile.gif

smile.gif

I added a 3-port HDMI switcher, so now I have 5 HDMI inputs on my RX-V2700!!

Cheers,

Craig.
post #100 of 1761 Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 AM

sjwinick: I am looking to buy the 3020 when it comes out here i Denmark, but could you descibe the nature of the sound in it, compared to eg. Denon and NAD? I am coming from a Denon 4308A, which I think was to bright and high for my taste, especially in stereo. I am pairing it with a couple of Audiovector M3-Super Mk2's, by the way...
post #101 of 1761 Old 10-09-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Hi guys. I'm having an RX-V2700 which I really love. It's great looking, sounds great and just works nicely. However, it has too few HDMI inputs and it would be fun to get a new toy, so I'm thinking of replacing it with the new A2020. I have a few things I want to get sorted that I don't like about the RX-V2700, namely:

I just stepped to the 2020 from a 2700. The usability features of the 2020 are very good. Lots of HDMI inputs and most anything one could want until something new pops. However, I was slightly disappointed in the audio and video performance of the 2020. My 2700 does significantly better at both. The audio has the normal Yamaha load of user selectable distortion features which I'm still amazed they pursue. I've never spoke to anyone who actually uses these settings. I've historically bought Yamaha for the audio performance. And typically have not been disapointed since they have done outstanding with normal implementations of surround and stereo multi channel. The 2020 added some prologic modes, removed a couple of Yamaha proprietary modes but the basic sound just isn't there... yet. I'll continue to work at it and see where it goes. The video was slightly softer than the 2700 and even with a number of adjustable features, I couldn't get it to perform up to the standard set by the 2700.

I initially bought a Elite SC-63. It sounded very good but it's video was lacking hence I returned it and went with Yamaha again.

All in all I like the unit and in time will grow to love it I'm certain... but 2700 performance wise it ain't....
post #102 of 1761 Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 AM

I've had a RX-A1020 set up for about 2 weeks now and I'm really struggling with getting it to sound good and I'm on the verge of returning it. I replaced an Onkyo and over the years I have had two Onkyos and a Pioneer Elite. I've never had any problems setting them up. I'm only running 5.1 surround. I did the YPAO setup and I find the audio generally sounds very flat. The TV audio is the worse coming from my HR DirecTV receiver. In 5.1, the dialogue sounds like it is in a tunnel. My DTS and blue ray DVDs sound marginally better, but still just doesn't sound right. I know these units are "new". Is it likely that the unit I received just has something wrong with it? I checked the YPAO results and it said none of my wires were reversed.
post #103 of 1761 Old 10-10-2012, 07:04 AM

The HD Radio built into the 2020 is new for me. On the 2020 the HD transmission is automatically switched on if it is present. So when you tune to a FM station for example, a few seconds later the HD version is played just as stereo audio is automatically played if present. No issue here but....

I find many of the local HD transmissions are terrible. They play in mono, or one channel, or with some weird distortion. Not something you would wish to hear. Now the problem is this. The 2020 automatically takes you out of the std FM stereo transmission and gives you the HD version, crappy or not. Apparently this is something you have no control over. I would expect one could lock out the HD if it was unacceptable and listen to the excellent FM stereo. You can't. At least I haven't found a way to prevent the tuner from jumping to whatever HD is there. This results in not being able to listen to many of the fine FM transmissions with this tuner. I have a difficult time imagining this was the design objective for HD implementation.

Have any of you found a way around this on the new Yamaha tuner?
post #104 of 1761 Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 PM

Hey quick question, I just got my new RX-A2020, having sold my faithful yet starting to fail old 3900 on ebay a week ago to upgrade. Setting it up, however, I am unable to find an option for bi-amping the front speakers AND having a second zone wired at the same time, like i did on my 3900. Anybody figured this out yet? I used to be able to play a video game on the main zone while driving the second zone with music, great for party games. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #105 of 1761 Old 10-12-2012, 06:23 AM

I'm working with my 2020 to improve the out of box video performance.

Am I correct in understanding if you select the display video resolution , ie. 1080p, the Yamaha video processing will be bypassed and video will be played straight through?

Thanks,
post #106 of 1761 Old 10-12-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testpattern View Post

I'm working with my 2020 to improve the out of box video performance.
Am I correct in understanding if you select the display video resolution , ie. 1080p, the Yamaha video processing will be bypassed and video will be played straight through?

No, because then you're asking it to scale other resolutions (e.g. 1080i etc.) to 1080p, which requires processing. In the Video menu you can set Video Mode to Direct, which should bypass all processing.
post #107 of 1761 Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 AM

Hi, I have the 1020 and 2020 on my list and have a couple of questions, hope you guys can help me:

1- Does the Multipoint with RSC YPAO included with them measures/corrects the sub frequencies?
I have read different opinions related to "standard" YPAO, even saying that it has issues with frequencies below 60Hz.

2- CINEMA DSP 3D
So I guess this is similar to DSX, Neo6/X and IIx/IIz, by generating additional channels from a 5.1 (or less) source, right?
The additional channels I see are RR, RL and front presence, which by their placement seems like a mix of the Front Height + Front Wide used in Audyssey DSX.

I have no room behind the listening position for rears, so I wanted you feedback on how good the Presence speakers behave, do they really add something important to the mix, or are just a nice/fun gizmo (eg "yes, buy additional speakers, you'll love it" vs "if you have extra speakers around try it from time to time, but don't waste money on new ones"

Oh and what kind of speakers the Presence require?
(DSX suggest the same speaker model as fronts for the Wides, but for heights you can use small(er) satellites.)

3- 24p
How well does Yamaha handles 24p?
I have read issues with other brand(s) as the HDMI will make funky things to 24p signal (eg using 24.0 instead of the actual 23.976 fps) causing frame drops every ~41 seconds.

4- Gapless USB and DLNA music play
When you play music files from USB/DLNA/etc, does the Yamahas use gapless playing?
FYI, Gapless playing means there is no silence, sound gap or wait time between tracks, it is critical to enjoy live performances.
I ask because I have heard of other couple of brands that don't handle it properly, and they have a 3-5 seconds gap between tracks.

Thanks!!!
post #108 of 1761 Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

For question 1, the 2020 EQs the sub and the 1020 does not. But if you have a difficult room a separate sub EQ system will make an improvement even for the 2020.
post #109 of 1761 Old 10-12-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The Cinema DSP effects are ment to reproduce the "sound fields" of various real-world enivironments, like concert halls. Presense speakers are supposed to help with this, but aren't required. I wouldn't call it the equvilent of Dolbly ProLogic IIz or DTS Neo:X, although there are simularities.

Unless Yamaha has changed this with this year's models, their receivers don't support gapless (seamless) transition between sound files. On USB, it's a small, less than a second delay, between tracks. It doesn't necessarily prevent you from enjoying live recordings, but there will be a noticible "blip" in playback. With DLNA the gap can be much bigger depending on how responsive your DLNA server is.
Oldemar likes this.
post #110 of 1761 Old 10-12-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldemar View Post

Hi, I have the 1020 and 2020 on my list and have a couple of questions, hope you guys can help me:
2- CINEMA DSP 3D
I have no room behind the listening position for rears, so I wanted you feedback on how good the Presence speakers behave, do they really add something important to the mix, or are just a nice/fun gizmo (eg "yes, buy additional speakers, you'll love it" vs "if you have extra speakers around try it from time to time, but don't waste money on new ones"
Oh and what kind of speakers the Presence require?

I have similar restrictions behind me. I added two high presence speakers to my 5.1 about 10 years ago when I got my 7.1 RX-V2700 Yam. They were really pushing them during this period. I must say they made a notable difference in a positive way and I'm a guy that has no use for all of the Yamaha synthetic modes. The other thing is I used a couple of small black Radio Shack pot metal speakers for a preliminary test. They worked great, so good I permanently mounted them and this comes from a guy with Paradign Studio 100s with matching center and surrounds. If you could hear the information that comes from just these speakers during full system utilization you would understand why expensive speakers are over kill and a waste of money. Try it, you'll see what I mean. I particularly enjoyed the 2700 enhanced stereo with these but the 2020 multi-channel stereo isn't the same.

Now having said this, I haven't found the 2020 to make much use of these speakers. The 2020 seems to promote the rear presence speakers. Prologic IIx does use them but I don't care for it. I'm still lookin' around the menus and admittedly haven't fully explored what can be done with the 2020 and 7.X.
Oldemar likes this.
post #111 of 1761 Old 10-13-2012, 04:06 AM

Liked: 16
Hi all,

I just upgraded from a Yamaha RX-Z1 to the 2020 and I gotta say the upgrade was worth it. I LOVE this new receiver. It has the same great sound quality that my Z1 had but much more refined. It's SOOOO great to get rid of all the HDMI switchers and piles of cable I was using to wire everything up. My gear is on Metro Shelving and there's no way to hide all those wires... But I digress.

I have a question:

Anyone one out there using the Android controller app for this receiver? I tried playing music from my phone through the app to the receiver but for some reason it couldn't access my music files from the phone. Anyone else have this trouble?

Thanks in advance. Now I'm going back to play...

Elio

Gear:
Yamaha Aventage 2020
Panasonic PTAE 4000
Panasonic DMP BDT 500 BD Player
Toshiba HD A1 HD DVD player
Fios
Carada 100" Brilliant White Criterion Screen
Definitive Technology BP8040 Supertower speakers
Definitive Technology BP8040 Surrounds
Definitive Technology 8040 Center
Definitive Technology Supercube 2000
Definitive Technology Promonitor 1000 Presence speakers
post #112 of 1761 Old 10-13-2012, 08:22 AM

-edited
post #113 of 1761 Old 10-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Liked: 16
What's weird is some of the tracks are playable. The stuff I bought from Amazon plays fine. It's just that anything I ripped into iTunes or bought from the Apple iTunes store doesn't work. Anything from iTunes is grayed out. My iPod works fine..
post #114 of 1761 Old 10-13-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliocon View Post

What's weird is some of the tracks are playable. The stuff I bought from Amazon plays fine. It's just that anything I ripped into iTunes or bought from the Apple iTunes store doesn't work. Anything from iTunes is grayed out. My iPod works fine..

I suspect it's the way the phone is dealing with AAC.. since the iPod works, I think it's simply a compatibility issue with the codec and the phone's streaming capability.

The Amazon stuff is MP3.

My ALAC iTunes files, for example, won't play on my Galaxy Note phone natively..

I would maybe recommend using Remote for iTunes by HYPERFINE on your phone.... It will let you control your home iTunes library via Airplay if you have access to that via your network.
post #115 of 1761 Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 PM

Liked: 11
I just got a great deal on the RX-A2020. I saw that there was a deal on edealinfo linking to electronics-expo on the 2010 and bought it using their coupon code for $918 plus shipping for a total of $949. I thought it was a pretty good deal. The next day, they said they over sold and that they would send me the 2020 instead. I agreed to the upgrade, even though i really want Pandora, and was thinking I was getting scammed. i knew they were a authorized Yamaha dealer and I was using a visa, so I had a little protection.

The box came and sure enough it's the A2020. I haven't yet plugged it in since I am still in the apartment and not yet in the new house. Today, I saw that electronics expo is selling the A2010 for $1020 before shipping using the coupon code EDEALINFOSAVE and i am really confused. I was following the availability of the A2010 since I wanted to get a close out deal and they seem to almost all gone. Are they getting more A2010's?

It just seems odd to me that they are selling the A2010 after they had already sold out. Either way, its a pretty good deal.
post #116 of 1761 Old 10-19-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Does anyone know if there is a way to route audio and video independently, ie... route the video from HDMI AV1 and the audio from HDMI AV3?

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #117 of 1761 Old 10-19-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Does anyone know if there is a way to route audio and video independently, ie... route the video from HDMI AV1 and the audio from HDMI AV3?

You can do that with the RX-A3020, if you run two HDMI cables from your receiver to your TV, but you can't do that with any other Yamaha receiver.
post #118 of 1761 Old 10-19-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Thanks

I think I have a solution ... running a 2nd HDMI to the vw90ES which has (2) HDMI inputs.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #119 of 1761 Old 10-20-2012, 09:51 PM

Hi.. Just got a 2020 today. I have a quick question.... When playing a bluray movie I noticed that the front panel doesn't display DTS Master Audio/Dolby True HD like my older model (RX-V1900). Is this normal or am I doing something wrong here..?????? I took a flashlight to the front panel and don't even see the icons... If this is normal, how do you know if your getting these audio formats...
post #120 of 1761 Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

There aren't any decoder icons on the front panel display. To see what decoder is currently in use press the INFO button on the remote until shows "Audio Decoder". If it says "PCM" then that usually means that your Blu-Ray player is doing the decoding.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page