The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 1813 Old 03-29-2014, 09:50 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Correct.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1813 Old 03-29-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrx09md View Post

If I were to do this manually what settings would I need to adjust?  I only see the  "level" setting in the manual set up page and can't locate the sub volume. Is that the subwoofer trim?

The idea is to lower the sub's own volume control (knob on back of sub). Then that will require a higher output from the receiver (higher level setting) to get the same SPL, which means it's more likely to activate your sub's auto-on circuit.
post #1623 of 1813 Old 03-29-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just ran YPAO and it shows sub 1 and 2 at 62.5 hz. Is this as low as it corrects. I have a chance to get the Onkyo 929 but don't want to downgrade either. My main use is gaming and movies and I want the best bass possible.I have the 3020 and 4 subs (2 sets of identical on each input)
post #1624 of 1813 Old 03-30-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwagon View Post

I just ran YPAO and it shows sub 1 and 2 at 62.5 hz. Is this as low as it corrects. I have a chance to get the Onkyo 929 but don't want to downgrade either. My main use is gaming and movies and I want the best bass possible.I have the 3020 and 4 subs (2 sets of identical on each input)

The 929 features XT32, which seems to do a better job at auto-correction than YPAO. Though, your room may just not need any correction below 62Hz. Is there some particular reason you're questioning YPAO's results? YPAO should be able to correct down to approx 31Hz. If you think you need correction lower than what it did, try running it several times, using the multi-point measurement for the best results and to get an idea of the consistency of it's measurements - mic placement can be rather pivotal to an accurate reading. That said, there seems to be some question just how accurate YPAO might be.

One of the nice things about Yamaha is that they also allow you to manually adjust the EQ instead of depending on auto-correction or to tweak what YPAO did, with the 3020's PEQ; but of course you'll need the means to measure the room response yourself, with REW, Omnimic2 or something. If you don't want to go through the trouble of learning how to EQ a room manually, adding an Omnimode or some other auto-correction device would allow for potentially better bass response, if YPAO itself proves inadequate for your setup. An Omnimode will also correct lower than 31Hz. Whether you have any real need for correction that low is another matter. Personally, I'd try to make the Yamaha work, before switching to the 929.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #1625 of 1813 Old 03-30-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

The 929 features XT32, which seems to do a better job at auto-correction than YPAO. Though, your room may just not need any correction below 62Hz. Is there some particular reason you're questioning YPAO's results? YPAO should be able to correct down to approx 31Hz. If you think you need correction lower than what it did, try running it several times, using the multi-point measurement for the best results and to get an idea of the consistency of it's measurements - mic placement can be rather pivotal to an accurate reading. That said, there seems to be some question just how accurate YPAO might be.

One of the nice things about Yamaha is that they also allow you to manually adjust the EQ instead of depending on auto-correction or to tweak what YPAO did, with the 3020's PEQ; but of course you'll need the means to measure the room response yourself, with REW, Omnimic2 or something. If you don't want to go through the trouble of learning how to EQ a room manually, adding an Omnimode or some other auto-correction device would allow for potentially better bass response, if YPAO itself proves inadequate for your setup. An Omnimode will also correct lower than 31Hz. Whether you have any real need for correction that low is another matter. Personally, I'd try to make the Yamaha work, before switching to the 929.

Ok, that makes sense. I think I misunderstood the crossover correction process that YPAO was performing. I had read from an expert review that the unit would only calibrate down to 62.5 but then have seen reputable members saying it did correct to 31.5.When I reviewed the YPAO correction it did not have 31.5hz in there. However, once I went to manual adjustments I saw the 31.5hz crossover option available. I believe you are correct and that my room did not need to use the 31.5 crossover point so it used the 62.5. I think it sounds great I just did not understand completely how it worked. After running YPAO I bumped the db rating for both sub inputs up 2 points and it really sounds nice, clean and full without being boomy. I have used Audessy XT but not xt32 and it did really well with the Denon receiver I had, but it was almost if it boosted all bass signals making everything boomy. However, everyone seems to rave about xt32 so I was just curious. I know that when I used Audessey xt I did feel limited on adjustments afterwards. I believe the Yamaha 3020 is a keeper. The sound is crisp with plenty of low end umph! It seems to run effortlessly and about -15 db is about all I can handle with out it running me out of the room. Also, the dialogue seems so clear and the lift feature really incorporates the whole projector screen giving it a nice sound.
post #1626 of 1813 Old 03-30-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, that makes sense. I think I misunderstood the crossover correction process that YPAO was performing. I had read from an expert review that the unit would only calibrate down to 62.5 but then have seen reputable members saying it did correct to 31.5.When I reviewed the YPAO correction it did not have 31.5hz in there. However, once I went to manual adjustments I saw the 31.5hz crossover option available. I believe you are correct and that my room did not need to use the 31.5 crossover point so it used the 62.5. I think it sounds great I just did not understand completely how it worked. After running YPAO I bumped the db rating for both sub inputs up 2 points and it really sounds nice, clean and full without being boomy. I have used Audessy XT but not xt32 and it did really well with the Denon receiver I had, but it was almost if it boosted all bass signals making everything boomy. However, everyone seems to rave about xt32 so I was just curious. I know that when I used Audessey xt I did feel limited on adjustments afterwards. I believe the Yamaha 3020 is a keeper. The sound is crisp with plenty of low end umph! It seems to run effortlessly and about -15 db is about all I can handle with out it running me out of the room. Also, the dialogue seems so clear and the lift feature really incorporates the whole projector screen giving it a nice sound.

My last Denon, a 3808, boosted bass 15dbs by default. It seemed less of an Audyssey choice than a Denon one. There was a menu option specifically for setting the amount of bass boost in 0 to 15db in 5 db intervals, I believe, with default being 15. After running YPAO on our 3030, it seems to bump bass by the same amount. Maybe Yamaha took the lack of bass criticisms to heart, as I had to dial what YPAO did back, unlike most people here.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #1627 of 1813 Old 03-30-2014, 07:17 PM

I wonder if they 3030 and 3020 are similar in the bass management correction with YPAO. I feel that everything comes alive around -20db and the surround sound separation is unreal. I had a high end onkyo years ago that sounded great but not with such surround sound separation. The right main channel ended up going out. The Denon I had was very nice but almost like it incorporated a bass boost button from a Sony jambox with Audessey. running. Also, the Denon had no where near the clear dialogue and clear highs that the Yamaha has. I appreciate so much all of your input/help! I have the chance to save 300.00 and get the Onlyo 929 but I really cant see letting go of the Yamaha 3020!
post #1628 of 1813 Old 03-30-2014, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have had a few different Onkyo and Denon receivers in my house along with a few different Yamaha AVRs & their latest pre/pro. I would say that tier of Onkyo and Denon units sound very similar. The Yamaha has a sound that seems less processed and more natural. I don't know if I would trade the 3020 for a 929, but I have never owned either specific model. I have had the Onkyo 818 and 3010 along with Yamaha RX-V673, RX-A820, CX-A5000 and I have a 3020 coming in a few days to compare to as well.

Also the bass boost that you are referring to is probably Audyssey Dynamic EQ. It will increase the sub & surround speakers dynamically at lower volumes to give you a similar sound and feel to how things are closer to reference level listening. Yamaha will have a similar feature in the 2014 model AVRs. I think they are calling it Yamaha Sound.
post #1629 of 1813 Old 03-30-2014, 10:14 PM

Let me know your impressions of the 3020 since you are familiar with Onkyo and Denon. I do believe you are correct about the dynamic eq now that to you mention it as I remember using it on my denon. I definitely noticed clearer highs and better overall sound separation on the 3020. The denon sounded good but no near as dynamic .
post #1630 of 1813 Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if they 3030 and 3020 are similar in the bass management correction with YPAO. I feel that everything comes alive around -20db and the surround sound separation is unreal. I had a high end onkyo years ago that sounded great but not with such surround sound separation. The right main channel ended up going out. The Denon I had was very nice but almost like it incorporated a bass boost button from a Sony jambox with Audessey. running. Also, the Denon had no where near the clear dialogue and clear highs that the Yamaha has. I appreciate so much all of your input/help! I have the chance to save 300.00 and get the Onlyo 929 but I really cant see letting go of the Yamaha 3020!

I imagine the 3020 is the same way, but in the 3030 Yamaha has a feature that enhances certain aspects of the sound - particularly dialogue - at lower volumes. I can't remember what it's called, but in the 3030 it's on by default. It's a very effective feature when watching at lower volumes, so effective that you can comfortably watch that way and not realize how much sound info you're missing going by dialogue clarity alone. The enhancement decreases the louder you adjust the volume.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #1631 of 1813 Old 03-31-2014, 09:26 AM

Liked: 10
I have a Yamaha 2020 receiver and a Parasound Halo for my 5 main channels. I'd like to use some of the amps in the receiver to power some front height speakers. I don't see any discussions on what type of in-wall speakers alot of us Yamaha owners utilize. I have Snell speakers all around now but they are out of business and can't find any in-walls anywhere. How much do people spend on the front height speakers to get really good sound. Any specific brands or sizes? Again I'm looking at in-wall speakers to make this happen.
post #1632 of 1813 Old 03-31-2014, 09:30 AM

Yeah the 3020 has that too. I think it is called Adaptive DRC. Works really well. If we are talking about the same thing. Plus it give you the option to lift the dialogue and raise the dialogue volume.
post #1633 of 1813 Old 04-04-2014, 05:07 PM

I jus bought a a2020 and paired with Infinity speakers (7.1). 

The Front speakers are infinity p363 floorstanding and since its 4ohm speaker, should I change the settings to 6ohm in the receiver or its okay to keep the default of 8ohms ?

I can change to 6 ohms, but the other speakers are 8ohms, so, I'm not sure about the impact. 

post #1634 of 1813 Old 04-05-2014, 07:47 AM

Most agree to leave the settings to 8 ohms to get the most power and dynamic range available. Lowering to 6 ohms could cause clipping to happen from what I have read. The best thing to do is probably start out at the 8 ohm setting and monitor the performance while making sure the receiver is not getting hot. I have tried both settings and the 8ohm setting had more dynamic range when comparing movie clips under both settings. I run two pairs of 6 ohms speakers and two pair of 8 ohms with no problems. I also have usb powered fans on top of the unit that draw any heat out and it never even feels like it is on(even after 20 minutes at -17 db in Star Wars). I called Yamaha inquiring about this and the guy advised that should be fine but he had to recommend the 6 ohm to cover Yamaha.
soljayar likes this.
post #1635 of 1813 Old 04-05-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:

I also have usb powered fans on top of the unit that draw any heat out and it never even feels like it is on(even after 20 minutes at -17 db in Star Wars)

I'm getting ready to add fans too. Can you describe:
- What size fans and how many are you using?
- Are they nearly silent? If so what is the make/model?
- Are they mounted in some kind of a fan enclosure? If so, do they exhaust the air out at an angle as opposed to straight up?
- Is your receiver located inside a cabinet? If so, what is the airflow like in there? Is it behind glass doors?
post #1636 of 1813 Old 04-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I use an angled usb laptop cooler with a 220mm fan set on top of the receiver. Larger and slower equals quieter.

Mine is from monoprice but the one I have isn't listed anymore.

BTW, you'll need to turn off standby mode or the USB port is always on. Another thing I miss about my Denon smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post

I'm getting ready to add fans too. Can you describe:
- What size fans and how many are you using?
- Are they nearly silent? If so what is the make/model?
- Are they mounted in some kind of a fan enclosure? If so, do they exhaust the air out at an angle as opposed to straight up?
- Is your receiver located inside a cabinet? If so, what is the airflow like in there? Is it behind glass doors?
post #1637 of 1813 Old 04-05-2014, 12:18 PM

:)

post #1638 of 1813 Old 04-05-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Most agree to leave the settings to 8 ohms to get the most power and dynamic range available. Lowering to 6 ohms could cause clipping to happen from what I have read. The best thing to do is probably start out at the 8 ohm setting and monitor the performance while making sure the receiver is not getting hot. I have tried both settings and the 8ohm setting had more dynamic range when comparing movie clips under both settings. I run two pairs of 6 ohms speakers and two pair of 8 ohms with no problems. I also have usb powered fans on top of the unit that draw any heat out and it never even feels like it is on(even after 20 minutes at -17 db in Star Wars). I called Yamaha inquiring about this and the guy advised that should be fine but he had to recommend the 6 ohm to cover Yamaha.

Thank you so much

post #1639 of 1813 Old 04-05-2014, 12:56 PM

I use infinity 120 fans from Amazon. I got three and line them up side by side across the top of the 3020. They are cased and have rubber feet. The sit on top drawing the heat straight out. They run in a line connected to each other and then powered off my PS3 via usb port. Everything runs from my Harmony 1100 so when I watch a movie or play a game the PS3 comes on automatically and turns the fans on. They are very quiet and less noticeable then my projector. My 3020 is on an open rack system approx. five feet behind where it sit. Prior to using the fans the unit could get pretty warm to touch if pushed hard for 30 mins. Now it doesn't even feel like it is on---EVER.
post #1640 of 1813 Old 04-06-2014, 02:40 PM

Does anyone know how these receivers store their settings? I like to unplug equipment when on vacation, but I'd hate to do all the setup again. Is it stored on a Flash memory, or will it be lost after a short while without power?
post #1641 of 1813 Old 04-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Even though I think it's all stored in flash, see advanced menu, backup/recovery. Also see the web service interface to create a backup on your PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordemoniac View Post

Does anyone know how these receivers store their settings? I like to unplug equipment when on vacation, but I'd hate to do all the setup again. Is it stored on a Flash memory, or will it be lost after a short while without power?
post #1642 of 1813 Old 04-06-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use infinity 120 fans from Amazon. I got three and line them up side by side across the top of the 3020. They are cased and have rubber feet. The sit on top drawing the heat straight out. They run in a line connected to each other and then powered off my PS3 via usb port. Everything runs from my Harmony 1100 so when I watch a movie or play a game the PS3 comes on automatically and turns the fans on. They are very quiet and less noticeable then my projector. My 3020 is on an open rack system approx. five feet behind where it sit. Prior to using the fans the unit could get pretty warm to touch if pushed hard for 30 mins. Now it doesn't even feel like it is on---EVER.

Doesn't the 3020 have one or two USB ports like the 3030? I assume that when you say it doesn't feel like it is even on, you're not talking about the face of the unit or some place it's not generally going to heat up? I just started thinking about adding a fan to my 3030 a few days ago. With some movies, after a couple hours it gets very warm in one particular spot at the vent on top - everywhere else on top it'll exhibit only typical warmth, except for that 4-6 inch area. At other times it can handle a 2 hour movie plus another 3 hours of gaming on top and be no warmer than my previous Denon driving only 2 channels. Maybe it's more circumstantial, more coincidental to when I put my hand on it than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordemoniac View Post

I kill the power to every component in the rack every night, on recommendation of one of the manufacturers (Mitsubishi), including a Yamaha 3030, by switching off the power conditioning units that they're plugged into. I can confirm that a few days without power doesn't affect the 3030's memory. But I wouldn't expect it to be a problem with much longer durations either. The 3030 wasn't part of our system at the time, but we've gone weeks without using the system multiple times in the past and none of the devices we've ever used lost its settings.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #1643 of 1813 Old 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM

Can any one help me I have a Yamaha a 2020 amp and whatever I do I can't get the voices sounding right . They tend to sound abit echoe . The only way I can get this amp sounding right is when I put amp into pure mode that bypasses all the enhancements of the amp ... I have good surround speakers and sub but I'm baffled and disappoint with this amp.. I'm no expert but using this amp in pure mode all the time seems to me to be a waste of money . Am I doing something wrong can someone please give me some advice as it would be much appreciated and everything you read about this amp has rave reviews
post #1644 of 1813 Old 04-08-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavelle View Post

Can any one help me I have a Yamaha a 2020 amp and whatever I do I can't get the voices sounding right . They tend to sound abit echoe . The only way I can get this amp sounding right is when I put amp into pure mode that bypasses all the enhancements of the amp ... I have good surround speakers and sub but I'm baffled and disappoint with this amp.. I'm no expert but using this amp in pure mode all the time seems to me to be a waste of money . Am I doing something wrong can someone please give me some advice as it would be much appreciated and everything you read about this amp has rave reviews

Do you have the dialogue lift on? I tried it out, but it gave an echo type sound.

Panasonic 60GT50Yamaha RX-A2020Panasonic Bluray DMP-BDT220Fronts: Focal Chorus 726VCenter: Focal Chorus cc700VSurrounds: Focal Chorus 705V(2) Outlaw LFM-1 Plus
post #1645 of 1813 Old 04-08-2014, 03:25 PM

Yeh I've
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhammie View Post

Do you have the dialogue lift on? I tried it out, but it gave an echo type sound.
post #1646 of 1813 Old 04-08-2014, 03:29 PM

Yeh I've tried it up and down but wil take your advice and play around with it down thanks. I just don't no if that is how the amp is suppose to sound or not but as i said I'm always listen to it in pure mode which sounds good but ain't the way to always listen .. I also find it's not the best on watching sport :-(
post #1647 of 1813 Old 04-08-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavelle View Post

Yeh I've tried it up and down but wil take your advice and play around with it down thanks. I just don't no if that is how the amp is suppose to sound or not but as i said I'm always listen to it in pure mode which sounds good but ain't the way to always listen .. I also find it's not the best on watching sport :-(

I also should've asked what DSP you chose. Some of the music DSPs have an echo from the surround speakers. I generally use either 'straight' or 'movie standard'. Try those out.

Panasonic 60GT50Yamaha RX-A2020Panasonic Bluray DMP-BDT220Fronts: Focal Chorus 726VCenter: Focal Chorus cc700VSurrounds: Focal Chorus 705V(2) Outlaw LFM-1 Plus
post #1648 of 1813 Old 04-14-2014, 02:51 AM

Hi..

Just set up a new RX-A3020 this weekend, replacing an older Pioneer.

So far it seems to be handling the basics ok, but I'm also in the midst of setting up an RS-232 based remote control system. Have been sticking a DVM on the serial ports to see what flavor they are.  Oppo and (with a USB dongle), the LinHES DVR all show up fine (in fact, so did the Pioneer).  But on the A3020, neither of pins 2 or 3 is driven.  I can't find any setting which obviously addresses this, and the manual's treatment of RS-232 is entirely worthless ("This is a control expansion terminal for custom installation. Consult your dealer for details."  Really?).

fwiw, have enabled network-on-standby, but not HDMI passthrough-on-standby.  Was hoping that the network browser interface (on port 80) would offer some interesting settings, but doesn't seem to have anything relating to RS-232. The system does respond as expected to its own IR remote, so the IR sensor must be enabled ok.

Question: is it normal for an idle RX-A3020 RS-232 port to have neither of TD / RD driven, or is this likely a defective unit? And if it is normal, anybody know which flavor of cable I should use to attach to it?

thanks, Eric

post #1649 of 1813 Old 04-14-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I wouldn't expect any RS232 port that's not actively transmitting to have a measurable voltage on its transmit or receive pins.

You need to use a null modem (crossover) cable to connect the RX-A3020 to a PC. On the RX-A3020 pin 2 is receive, pin 3 is transmit and pin 5 is ground. No other pin are used. The port settings are 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control.

There are no settings related to the RS232 port, though you might need to enable network standby to allow the receiver to be controlled over an RS232 connection while in standby mode (turned off).
rakstr likes this.
post #1650 of 1813 Old 04-14-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewedel View Post

... I'm also in the midst of setting up an RS-232 based remote control system. Have been sticking a DVM on the serial ports to see what flavor they are.  Oppo and (with a USB dongle), the LinHES DVR all show up fine (in fact, so did the Pioneer).  But on the A3020, neither of pins 2 or 3 is driven.  I can't find any setting which obviously addresses this, and the manual's treatment of RS-232 is entirely worthless ("This is a control expansion terminal for custom installation. Consult your dealer for details."  Really?).

Here's a link to the new YNCA protocol that's used for both RS-232 and TCP/IP. The document also mentions the type of cable (null modem) and baud rate etc... http://thinkflood.com/media/manuals/yamaha/Yamaha-YNCA-Receivers.pdf

While experimenting, make sure the receiver is on and use a command such as volume down or mute. Don't start by trying to turn the receiver on because that can be a special case.
rakstr and ewedel like this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A1020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page