The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread - Page 60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1771 of 1785 Old 09-07-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahriel12 View Post
Has anyone had a problem not being able to play the audio from YouTube or Amazon Prime thru their AVR?

I have the LG 55LM8600. Audio works fine for DishTV. I have a Yamaha RX-A3020 for AVR. However, when I try to play a YouTube or Amazon Prime video/movie the audio does not come thru. The YouTube and Amazon Prime apps are on my TV.

Here is how i am connected currently

TV - HDMI 1(ARC) goes to HDMI Out 1 (ARC) on AVR
DishTV goes to HDMI AV2 on AVR

For tv watching i simply go to AV2 on AVR and everything is fine. But when I then try to play videos thru the Smart TV apps on the LG i get no sound thru AVR. In order to get sound I have to change setting on the LG to use the TV speaker not an External speaker.

I want to be able to watch a movie and listen to it through my home theater setup, NOT the wimpy LG tv speakers!!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Turn off ARC in all devices and run a digital optical cable from tv to AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1785 Old 09-10-2014, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
mono

I've got the 3020 and just bought The Beatles in mono. Is there a setting to listen in mono, will the Movie Mono setting do the trick?
post #1773 of 1785 Old 09-10-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvy56 View Post
I've got the 3020 and just bought The Beatles in mono. Is there a setting to listen in mono, will the Movie Mono setting do the trick?
Try Straight or Pure Direct.
post #1774 of 1785 Old 09-10-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvy56 View Post
Are you trying to have the sound all come from your center speaker?

I have had the best luck with DPLII to get a mono signal to show up in the center channel.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1775 of 1785 Old 09-10-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well since this is my first try with mono vinyl I was looking for the best sound, so far not impressed. Really wasn't sure what to expect.
Tried all the different settings didn't really care for any of them. Now I don't have a mono cart and not sure if what I've tried so far is the optimal way to listen.
Analog Planet has some good reviews on these new mono reissues but it's looking like I'm not a mono guy, oh well guess I'll send it back to Amazon. Thanks for the reply's.
post #1776 of 1785 Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Interesting. For mono vinyl, I'd recommend pure direct like Bond007 recommends AND disattach one of your speakers. That should mean you are getting a full range, mono signal, from one speaker -- as was intended by the original recording.

That way, you will definitely know what it SHOULD sound like -- and then can decide if you like mono.

It takes getting used to, I think, if you haven't listened to mono before. But it is the way lots of older recordings were intended to be heard.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1777 of 1785 Old 09-10-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Turn off ARC in all devices and run a digital optical cable from tv to AVR.
I have a LG 65LA9700.

When I run an optical output from my cable PVR box to my old Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi then I see the receiver light up with 5.1 indicated (5 speaker boxes and LFE) on movies that are shown in the guide as being "5.1".

However, with the same program signal going to the TV via HDMI and optical audio out from the TV to the same receiver input I get sound but no 5.1 lights, not sure if the TV is just outputting 2.0 sound. I have to use some receiver processing mode to get sound to the surround and back speakers.

This old receiver has no HDMI inputs so I'm trying to limp along with it until something with high bit HDMI 2, HDCP 2.2, Dolby Atmos, DTS UHD, etc. comes along (2015 models?).

Last edited by DoDaLeCa; 09-10-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Added some detail for clarification
post #1778 of 1785 Old 09-10-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoDaLeCa View Post
I have a LG 65LA9700.

When I run an optical output from my cable PVR box to my old Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi then I see the receiver light up with 5.1 indicated (5 speaker boxes and LFE) on movies that are shown in the guide as being "5.1".

However, with the same program signal going to the TV via HDMI and optical audio out from the TV to the same receiver input I get sound but no 5.1 lights, not sure if the TV is just outputting 2.0 sound. I have to use some receiver processing mode to get sound to the surround and back speakers.

This old receiver has no HDMI inputs so I'm trying to limp along with it until something with high bit HDMI 2, HDCP 2.2, Dolby Atmos, DTS UHD, etc. comes along (2015 models?).
Your tv is downconverting 5.1 to 2.0 when the signal is from an external source. Most of them will do that. The only time you will get 5.1 output from the tv is from an internal source (built in "smart" apps).
nathan_h likes this.

Last edited by Bond 007; 09-10-2014 at 12:31 PM.
post #1779 of 1785 Old 09-10-2014, 05:30 PM

Yeah I knew this but didn't specifically give that conclusion to your recommendation that that person might have a decrease in sound channel information playing it from the TV as opposed from directly from the source to the AVR.
post #1780 of 1785 Old 09-10-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yeah I knew this but didn't specifically give that conclusion to your recommendation that that person might have a decrease in sound channel information playing it from the TV as opposed from directly from the source to the AVR.
I dont understand what you mean. But youre situation is not the same as his. He is using ARC and HDMI. You are not.
post #1781 of 1785 Old 09-10-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahriel12 View Post
Here is how i am connected currently

TV - HDMI 1(ARC) goes to HDMI Out 1 (ARC) on AVR
DishTV goes to HDMI AV2 on AVR

For tv watching i simply go to AV2 on AVR and everything is fine. But when I then try to play videos thru the Smart TV apps on the LG i get no sound thru AVR. In order to get sound I have to change setting on the LG to use the TV speaker not an External speaker.

I want to be able to watch a movie and listen to it through my home theater setup, NOT the wimpy LG tv speakers!!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Hi jahriel12, you didn't mention but enable the TV HDMI Control - Simplink and ARC.

You may be better off using optical cable like Bond 007 suggested.
post #1782 of 1785 Old 09-10-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
I dont understand what you mean. But youre situation is not the same as his. He is using ARC and HDMI. You are not.
I meant to suggest that if he used the optical audio from the TV to his AVR as per your suggestion that he might lose sound quality or have less channels than a direct connection from the device to AVR or from the TV to AVR via HDMI if ARC functioned correctly.
post #1783 of 1785 Old 09-10-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I meant to suggest that if he used the optical audio from the TV to his AVR as per your suggestion that he might lose sound quality or have less channels than a direct connection from the device to AVR or from the TV to AVR via HDMI if ARC functioned correctly.
I see. It would depend on the device. If hes only using optical for the built in apps there would be no loss of sound quality since the apps support nothing higher than DD+. Also since ARC can be finicky and giving him problems the optical connection is simpler and more reliable.
post #1784 of 1785 Old Today, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi,

I have the RX-V3073 receiver, virtually the same as the RX-A3020.

In the web-based /setup menu, I can see different MUTE levels - OFF/-20dB/-40dB etc.

I want the MUTE button on the supplied Yamaha IR remote to engage the -20dB setting all the time if I select it, but it always engages the fully OFF type of MUTE.

How do I do this without going into the web-based GUI all the time? I can't see an option to "save" the -20dB style of MUTE.

Cheers,

Craig.
post #1785 of 1785 Old Today, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 154
^ Mute -20dB and Mute -40dB require different discrete IR codes, there's no setting that makes the standard Mute code perform these operations.

However, the 3020 remote is capable of learning any code (see the manual). So you could teach it the Mute -20dB code and assign it to some other button. But first you'll need another learning remote that can emit the code, so that you can teach it to the 3020 remote.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A1020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page