The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread - Page 62 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1831 of 1848 Old 11-10-2014, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
Thanks, that's the first time I've ever seen any info on R.S.C. Some of this should definitely be in the Yamaha manual. So using your blog post to answer my own questions:

After running YPAO we assume R.S.C. is active. YES
After copying YPAO PEQ filters to Manual is R.S.C. also copied? YES
Is there any way to turn off R.S.C. and use only manual PEQ? YES, use "PEQ Data Clear" and then set the manual filters again.
With PEQ set to Through (i.e. off), is R.S.C. also turned off? YES.

For me the key point is that if you use Manual PEQ without ever having copied YPAO->Manual, R.S.C. is not active. But after copying YPAO->Manual you will always have R.S.C. active until you use "PEQ Data Clear". This should have been documented by Yamaha, because people trying to set things up manually need this info.

The blog post is here, for anyone else interested.
Yes, the above is all correct. I can ask Yamaha to start including the above in their manual. You're right in that people need to know this when setting up the receiver manually.

Good luck with trying to decrypt the messages. The data is definitely backed up in the backup file and then restored onto the receiver when the backup is restored. The filters are not exposed for editing on the Web interface, though, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I guess one way to know would be to use a recent receiver without YPAO RSC and one with RSC and see how the backup/restore command stream is different.

Also, it is likely that there is only one set of RSC filters, the flat / natural / front and manual curves only differ in their PEQ curves.

It would actually be really great if we could make the other curves editable also by editing the backup files or sending "restore" commands to the receiver to change them to enable even more control. Dare to dream. :-)

In any case, YPAO manual gives a lot of control over the sound already. I'm not saying the resolution is amazing for the lower octaves, but I managed to EQ the lower octaves in a way that sounds great. Sure, it could be better, but for that we would need manual adjustment of time-based filters I think. PEQ won't cut it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1848 Old 11-10-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollon1980 View Post
Good luck with trying to decrypt the messages. The data is definitely backed up in the backup file and then restored onto the receiver when the backup is restored.

I didn't say I was going to spend time on this , but now I'm tempted. Also after another look at the backup file there is some hint at structure (some patterns repeated multiple times) so maybe it's not really encrypted.

Looking at the network protocol (which is documented) there are GET/PUT commands for:
<System><Speaker_Preout><Pattern_1><PEQ><Internal_ Data>
<System><Speaker_Preout><Pattern_2><PEQ><Internal_ Data>
<System><Speaker_Preout><YPAO><Internal_Data>

I tried these on my RX-V675 (which has R.S.C.) and <PEQ><Internal_Data> returns 12224 bytes of data, and <YPAO><Internal_Data> returns 13464 bytes. Again there is some hint at structure, but it's not obvious what is being returned.

There's a good chance part of the internal data is related to the R.S.C. filters, but since the total amount of data is pretty large maybe it includes everything related to YPAO and the PEQ filters so that everything can be saved/restored in one shot to save time (the backup is pretty fast).

But I'm trying not to start looking deeper into this, because I know it will end up taking a lot of time .
post #1833 of 1848 Old 11-10-2014, 08:52 PM

It may or may not. You never know until you try. :-)

I'm wondering if they are using convolution with FIR filters, in which case open DRC may shed some light on possible structures used. I think we would have to start with normal PEQS data though and work from there. It's likely that just as PEQS is limited, RSC filters - using convolution or some other method - will also be limited to certain filters. That's just a guess of course.

I think as soon as we have the structure though and we can edit the data, I can start making measurements to see what's possible.

I'm wondering if there are other developers who'd like to join forces with us to figure this out.
post #1834 of 1848 Old 11-11-2014, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have recently purchased a RX V3073(same as 3020 without the wedge). I am just goin through the set up etc. I have set the scene with the appropriate input on the remote etc but the icon I choose for the scene doesn't show on the screen??
Should I see the icon the tv screen when I choose a scene or does it just show the input(text) on the screen as that's all I am seeing at the moment.??
post #1835 of 1848 Old 11-13-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
I didn't say I was going to spend time on this , but now I'm tempted. Also after another look at the backup file there is some hint at structure (some patterns repeated multiple times) so maybe it's not really encrypted.

Looking at the network protocol (which is documented) there are GET/PUT commands for:
<System><Speaker_Preout><Pattern_1><PEQ><Internal_ Data>
<System><Speaker_Preout><Pattern_2><PEQ><Internal_ Data>
<System><Speaker_Preout><YPAO><Internal_Data>

I tried these on my RX-V675 (which has R.S.C.) and <PEQ><Internal_Data> returns 12224 bytes of data, and <YPAO><Internal_Data> returns 13464 bytes. Again there is some hint at structure, but it's not obvious what is being returned.

There's a good chance part of the internal data is related to the R.S.C. filters, but since the total amount of data is pretty large maybe it includes everything related to YPAO and the PEQ filters so that everything can be saved/restored in one shot to save time (the backup is pretty fast).

But I'm trying not to start looking deeper into this, because I know it will end up taking a lot of time .
Interesting. I guess you can also create a file WITHOUT RSC data, with your system, but if you have trouble getting a clean file without RSC to examine, I can share one from my 1010, which doesn't have RSC at all.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #1836 of 1848 Old 11-15-2014, 02:56 PM

Hi guys,

Second RSC article if anyone is interested with some new measurements. :-)

http://simplehomecinema.com/2014/11/...dvanced-topic/
post #1837 of 1848 Old 11-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I forget, do you have to re-run setup after a firmware update on the 1020???? I saw the instructions only cover USB update procedures. Anyone try the "online version" via http://1020 IP/setup/ System -> Misc -> Update ?????
post #1838 of 1848 Old 11-15-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yamaha RX-A1020 Intermittent HDMI Connection Issue

Hello, I have an issue with losing connection between my Yamaha BD-A1020 DVD player and Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver while connected via HDMI cable (HDMI AV1). The problems starts with snow on the TV screen, then everything goes to black. I have the same problem with my PS3, connected with a HDMI cable as well (HDMI AV2). Sometimes the connection is just lost for a second or two. However, it usually is completely lost, forcing you to switch inputs then switch back.

The DVD player and PS3 work fine when connected directly to the TV via the same HDMI cables. Does this sound like a hardware issue with the receiver or are there setting that I can look at to resolve the problem? Thanks for the assistance!
post #1839 of 1848 Old 11-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Have you tried direct connecting either device using the HDMI cable from the RCVR to the TV? (rotate it in to your tests)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cece View Post
Hello, I have an issue with losing connection between my Yamaha BD-A1020 DVD player and Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver while connected via HDMI cable (HDMI AV1). The problems starts with snow on the TV screen, then everything goes to black. I have the same problem with my PS3, connected with a HDMI cable as well (HDMI AV2). Sometimes the connection is just lost for a second or two. However, it usually is completely lost, forcing you to switch inputs then switch back.

The DVD player and PS3 work fine when connected directly to the TV via the same HDMI cables. Does this sound like a hardware issue with the receiver or are there setting that I can look at to resolve the problem? Thanks for the assistance!
post #1840 of 1848 Old 11-15-2014, 04:30 PM

Yes, both work perfectly while connected directly to the TV using the same HDMI cables. Thanks!
post #1841 of 1848 Old 11-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

I meant to try the third cable that you have between the RCVR and the TV. Disconnect it and use it between one of the devices and the TV to test that cable.

Quote:
Yes, both work perfectly while connected directly to the TV using the same HDMI cables. Thanks!
post #1842 of 1848 Old 11-15-2014, 05:10 PM

Ah, got it. I'll give is a shot. Thanks!
post #1843 of 1848 Old 11-15-2014, 05:37 PM

All three cable are all fine between the devices and the TV directly. I just update the firmware of the receiver from 1.05 to 1.85 and the problem actually changde. While playing a CD in the DVD player the sound cut out and the screen when to snow within a few seconds. About a minute later, the sound and video came back on for a few seconds then cut out. I'm sure the receiver has internal issues.
post #1844 of 1848 Old 11-15-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollon1980 View Post
Hi guys,

Second RSC article if anyone is interested with some new measurements. :-)

http://simplehomecinema.com/2014/11/...dvanced-topic/

Very interesting. What about measurements of the impulse response? I presume we should be able to see improvements with R.S.C.?
post #1845 of 1848 Old 11-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone??? Also, has anyone noticed any issues with the firmware? I generally take the rule of NOT updating firmware unless I know there's something it fixes that I need! On too many devices, there is no going back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
I forget, do you have to re-run setup after a firmware update on the 1020???? I saw the instructions only cover USB update procedures. Anyone try the "online version" via http://1020 IP/setup/ System -> Misc -> Update ?????
post #1846 of 1848 Old 11-16-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
You do not have to rerun setup after a firmware update.
post #1847 of 1848 Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone ever flashed "back" on firmware? Just wondering if that option exists on the 1020.....
post #1848 of 1848 Old 11-25-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I have the very same problem. The sound and picture go to black for a few seconds at random intervals. In my case, it is between the Sony DVD player (or ROKU HDMI) and the receiver. The issue was worse before the recent firmware update, but it does still persist. Usually it comes back after a few seconds, but, if it does not, I can correct it by switching the input from HDMI 1 to 2 and the back again. I have confirmed, in my mind, that this is a receiver matter.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A1020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page