The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 1958 Old 01-22-2015, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I use the 2 channel version of this on my subs. Don't see that available. There's no problem only using 1 or 2 of 4 YMMV

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerikzb View Post
Got it! been searching and seems like i need a ground lift adaptor so the components don't "fight" over the ground? anyway.. I'll do a search here..

Thanks Nathan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1958 Old 01-22-2015, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's been awhile since I've checked into this thread, but I've been really pleased with my Aventage RX-A1020 for the past couple years. We upgraded to Comcast's X1 system last fall, and I'm relieved that the new Comcast remotes will finally control my receiver volume (despite it's otherwise sluggish response).
post #1893 of 1958 Old 01-23-2015, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroncamera View Post
It's been awhile since I've checked into this thread, but I've been really pleased with my Aventage RX-A1020 for the past couple years. We upgraded to Comcast's X1 system last fall, and I'm relieved that the new Comcast remotes will finally control my receiver volume (despite it's otherwise sluggish response).
I guess I should clarify - the Comcast X1 remote controls the volume of the Yamaha A1020, so long as the Panasonic plasma is turned on and linked to the receiver. After I posted the above, I had to go test whether changing the volume of the receiver with the Comcast remote was possible if the television was turned off, and it turns out, no it's not possible under that condition .
post #1894 of 1958 Old 01-24-2015, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
For some reason my Ipod no longer plays on my RX-A 1020...it reads and shows all the artists/songs etc..but when you hit play...it just sits there. The ipod works fine with headphones...and I tried a 2nd USB cord and it didn't work either.

Anybody have any ideas?
post #1895 of 1958 Old 02-02-2015, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I just had a weird thing happen to me. Twice. I was switching from Pure Direct mode on my RX-A1020 to Straight and quickly noticed that the right speaker is very quiet, but in about 6-8 seconds it returned to normal volume. Meanwhile left speaker and the subwoofer were playing just fine as expected. I didn't pay much attention to this until 20-30 minutes later while playing some music I switched back to Pure Direct and my right speaker was completely silent while the left one kept on playing the music. I freaked out as I thought my speaker died. I quickly checked the connections on both receiver and the speaker. Nothing. I switched to another source on the receiver as I suspected my computer was doing something weird, but the right speaker continued completely silent.

I do use banana plugs on the receiver part, so I turned off the receiver and removed bananas for the right speaker and firmly connected the wires to receiver's right speaker output. These things already fell apart once when I was reconnecting speakers, so I assumed banana plug could be the reason for this. I turned the receiver back on and sure enough the sound was restored to the right speaker. I'm not convinced this was really the bananas, I would definitely have to check with the other speaker as well, but I wonder if this could be the receiver itself slowly dying on me, maybe amps giving up, or something. So I'm here trying to see if anyone else had a similar experience and what could be the true reason for this? My RX-A1020 is not even 3 years old and Yamaha appears to have good reputation for build quality. My previous receiver RX-V565 lasted good 4 years before I decided to sell it and upgrade to the Aventage series. This would also be a bad timing for my receiver to die as I'm in the process of downsizing and eagerly waiting for KEF LS50's to arrive. Therefore, I'm not in a position to purchase new audio equipment. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
post #1896 of 1958 Old 02-11-2015, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So on the config tab in web setup my main speakers (fronts) are set to large and Im guessing that 40hz is lowest you can go or is it bypassing the x-over cause its set to large? I ask cause there is no setting for it to be off and I just got new speakers and just setting up temporally till I have time to run YPAO. Speakers are polk RTi10's any knowledgable input would greatly be appreciated!!!
post #1897 of 1958 Old 02-11-2015, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 269
^ The crossover is bypassed when you set the speakers to large. They will get all frequencies.
post #1898 of 1958 Old 02-12-2015, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ The crossover is bypassed when you set the speakers to large. They will get all frequencies.
OK thanx!

2-RTi-10's 1-CSi5 2-TSi400 6-r150's 1-Velodyne DPS-12(rebuilt power supply with new cap's and rectifier), 1-18-22 UM powered by Behringer 3000DSP
Yamaha RX-A3030 and Emotiva XPA-200
PS3-4, Apple TV, Directv Genie, and custom built PC 8core and 16 gigs of ram w/ bluray everything on a half rack on wheels in closet except pc,
Samsung UN65F7100
post #1899 of 1958 Old 02-14-2015, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
iPad app won't connect after update

Anyone else having issues with the iPad not connecting after the latest update to the app?

"although he walks among us, he is not one of us"
post #1900 of 1958 Old 02-22-2015, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hv9200 View Post
Anyone else having issues with the iPad not connecting after the latest update to the app?
Yes me too and i'm still on firmware 1.41.
I can't get airplay anymore with my airpad,i can only play my music through apple tv at the moment.

Last edited by riverphoenix123; 02-22-2015 at 06:30 AM.
post #1901 of 1958 Old 02-23-2015, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Hey folks. Suddenly, I'm having a major issue with my RX-A1020 after using it for a couple of years with no problem. Thus far, my troubleshooting has failed me.

I'm getting random pops, crackles, and periods of silence for 5-10 seconds at a time while sound should be playing. During the silence, the 5 speaker icons on the front display of the A1020 go dark, and light up again when the sound returns. This happens whether I am listening to my blu-ray player, PS3, or TV, so we can rule out a bad HDMI cable or source device. The video portion of the content continues normally during the audio problems.

My next thought was that it might be a loose connection either at one of the speakers or receiver. I use banana plugs, so there are no loose strands of wire touching each other all willy-nilly. After making sure that all the connections were secure, I played a test tone, unplugging one speaker at a time in an attempt to isolate a bad connection. I still got the crackles, pops, and sound loss, regardless of which speaker/sub was unplugged.

Running out of ideas, I ran the automatic setup again to see if the receiver might indicate where the problem might be. It ran without a hitch, but the problem remains.

Any other ideas that I can try before determining that the unit itself is bad? Thanks in advance.

Denon AVR-X4000 | Paradigm Monitor 11v7 L/R | Paradigm Monitor Center 3v7 C | Paradigm Monitor Surround 3v7 LS/RS | Klipsch SW-350 sub
Vizio P652ui-B2 4K TV | Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player | Logitech Harmony 650 | Sony PS3 Slim 500gb | Nintendo Wii

Last edited by Nicodimus22; 02-23-2015 at 02:04 PM.
post #1902 of 1958 Old 02-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

I wouldn't say you know it's not a cable. The first cable I'd suspect would be on the output to the TV OR what's plugged in at the other end. Also, not knowing if all the inputs are truly electrically isolated, a problem on one could still bleed to the others.

I would unplug ALL sources and go to basics. A single source with a single cable and a single input. Eliminate all variables. Are you on the latest firmware? I have 3 of these 1020's and anecdotally, I believe the latest has increase the number of random A/V drops with y DTV but it hasn't been bad enough to isolate. I did not update the other two after this. Yamaha would not tell me if they could be "reverse flashed" (I still have the older firmware available).

A full reset to factory is probably also in order. Leave all "processing" options off. Enable things one at a time if that is clear.

Sorry if that is a basic answer, it's what I'd do and that's what you asked for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
Hey folks. Suddenly, I'm having a major issue with my RX-A1020 after using it for a couple of years with no problem. Thus far, my troubleshooting has failed me.

I'm getting random pops, crackles, and periods of silence for 5-10 seconds at a time while sound should be playing. During the silence, the 5 speaker icons on the front display of the A1020 go dark, and light up again when the sound returns. This happens whether I am listening to my blu-ray player, PS3, or TV, so we can rule out a bad HDMI cable. The video portion of the content continues normally during the audio problems.

My next thought was that it might be a loose connection either at one of the speakers or receiver. I use banana plugs, so there are no loose strands of wire touching each other all willy-nilly. After making sure that all the connections were secure, I played a test tone, unplugging one speaker at a time in an attempt to isolate a bad connection. I still got the crackles, pops, and sound loss, regardless of which speaker/sub was unplugged.

Running out of ideas, I ran the automatic setup again to see if the receiver might indicate where the problem might be. It ran without a hitch, but the problem remains.

Any other ideas that I can try before determining that the unit itself is bad? Thanks in advance.
post #1903 of 1958 Old 02-26-2015, 05:16 PM

Anyone having their Yamaha randomly switching off?

I picked up a refurbished Yamaha RX-A1020 to replace my Denon E400 from A4L, and almost from the first time I turned it on there have been random times where it just clicks completely off, or that the HDMI output seems to switch it self on and off but without a complete loss of power.

Oddly is also seems to be doing this less frequently, but still 2 or 3 times a week.
I have tired searching and haven't seen anyone else have similar complaints or issues.
Has anyone else heard of this or had similar experiences?
post #1904 of 1958 Old 02-28-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
I wouldn't say you know it's not a cable. The first cable I'd suspect would be on the output to the TV OR what's plugged in at the other end. Also, not knowing if all the inputs are truly electrically isolated, a problem on one could still bleed to the others.

I would unplug ALL sources and go to basics. A single source with a single cable and a single input. Eliminate all variables. Are you on the latest firmware? I have 3 of these 1020's and anecdotally, I believe the latest has increase the number of random A/V drops with y DTV but it hasn't been bad enough to isolate. I did not update the other two after this. Yamaha would not tell me if they could be "reverse flashed" (I still have the older firmware available).

A full reset to factory is probably also in order. Leave all "processing" options off. Enable things one at a time if that is clear.

Sorry if that is a basic answer, it's what I'd do and that's what you asked for
Thank you for the advice. I have completely rewired all of the speakers, replaced all of the HDMI cables, tried with and without the TV connected, tried with and without the sub connected, and no matter what the source is, the audio drops out, and I still get random pops and crackles. It's definitely the receiver. I am on the firmware that it shipped with a couple of years ago.

I can't find the receipt anywhere, so it's not eligible for warranty. My question now is: Am I better off trying to find a local place to repair this, or would it make more sense to simply buy a new model? This is a large/heavy receiver, so I'm sure that the cost of shipping would be astronomical. Opinions?

Denon AVR-X4000 | Paradigm Monitor 11v7 L/R | Paradigm Monitor Center 3v7 C | Paradigm Monitor Surround 3v7 LS/RS | Klipsch SW-350 sub
Vizio P652ui-B2 4K TV | Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player | Logitech Harmony 650 | Sony PS3 Slim 500gb | Nintendo Wii
post #1905 of 1958 Old 02-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

I'd at least try a factory reset and upgrade the firmware. I'd also try some other speakers if you have them.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/pr...uct_id=1672315

After that, give their tech support a call. I've had good experiences with them.

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. I have completely rewired all of the speakers, replaced all of the HDMI cables, tried with and without the TV connected, tried with and without the sub connected, and no matter what the source is, the audio drops out, and I still get random pops and crackles. It's definitely the receiver. I am on the firmware that it shipped with a couple of years ago.

I can't find the receipt anywhere, so it's not eligible for warranty. My question now is: Am I better off trying to find a local place to repair this, or would it make more sense to simply buy a new model? This is a large/heavy receiver, so I'm sure that the cost of shipping would be astronomical. Opinions?

Last edited by rakstr; 02-28-2015 at 12:18 PM.
post #1906 of 1958 Old 02-28-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I'd at least try a factory reset and upgrade the firmware. I'd also try some other speakers if you have them.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/pr...uct_id=1672315

After that, give their tech support a call. I've had good experiences with them.
Just updated the firmware, reset to factory settings, and hooked up my bedroom speakers to test. Still having random sound drop outs, popping, and crackling.

All the Yamaha service centers I can find online are for dirt bikes.

post #1907 of 1958 Old 02-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

http://usa.yamaha.com/support/contact/audio_visual/

Quote:
Just updated the firmware, reset to factory settings, and hooked up my bedroom speakers to test. Still having random sound drop outs, popping, and crackling.

All the Yamaha service centers I can find online are for dirt bikes.
post #1908 of 1958 Old 02-28-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I found that too, but it just refers me to the Best Buy in my area.

post #1909 of 1958 Old 02-28-2015, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Ummmmm, do you have a scroll wheel or down arrow?

Quote:
I found that too, but it just refers me to the Best Buy in my area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yy.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	575241  
azz7686 likes this.
post #1910 of 1958 Old 03-03-2015, 08:44 AM

Found a reputable repair shop (Yamaha authorized) about an hour away: http://www.just-audio.com/baltimore-...ent-repair.htm

They won't be able to examine it for 7-10 business days, but I'll let you know what they found once they do. Very professional place, from what I saw while I was there.

post #1911 of 1958 Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Did you call Yamaha support first??? I just worked with them again yesterday and they were awesome. It was about rolling back firmware updates.

Quote:
Found a reputable repair shop (Yamaha authorized) about an hour away: http://www.just-audio.com/baltimore-...ent-repair.htm

They won't be able to examine it for 7-10 business days, but I'll let you know what they found once they do. Very professional place, from what I saw while I was there.
post #1912 of 1958 Old 03-03-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Did you call Yamaha support first??? I just worked with them again yesterday and they were awesome. It was about rolling back firmware updates.
No, because it's out of warranty and I've already done everything I could have at home to isolate the issue, which has now gone beyond the sound cutting out and a few random pops and crackles. The other day, it started screeching a high tone so loud that I thought a car alarm had gone off in my apartment. Nothing was playing at the time. I ran into the room and unplugged it, and then took it in yesterday. Hopefully this place will do a good job diagnosing and repairing my baby!

post #1913 of 1958 Old 03-03-2015, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

OK, a call is free and unless you ask, you'll never know if it's something they know about and are treating out of warranty. I mistook your request for assistance.
Quote:
No, because it's out of warranty and I've already done everything I could have at home to isolate the issue, which has now gone beyond the sound cutting out and a few random pops and crackles. The other day, it started screeching a high tone so loud that I thought a car alarm had gone off in my apartment. Nothing was playing at the time. I ran into the room and unplugged it, and then took it in yesterday. Hopefully this place will do a good job diagnosing and repairing my baby!
post #1914 of 1958 Old 03-06-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
unless you ask, you'll never know if it's something they know about and are treating out of warranty
That just doesn't happen. The reason that companies limit the time frame of a warranty is precisely because they don't want to be liable for problems for very long.

post #1915 of 1958 Old 03-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

OK, you're probably right, but it has for me.... It's a free call.......
Quote:
That just doesn't happen. The reason that companies limit the time frame of a warranty is precisely because they don't want to be liable for problems for very long.

Last edited by rakstr; 03-06-2015 at 11:37 AM.
post #1916 of 1958 Old 03-11-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I've seen user reports of Onkyo, Oppo and Sony each doing out of warranty repairs in some situations. I suppose it depends on the nature of the problem.

My buddy had the optical block of his SONY LCOS tv replaced for free, outside of warranty. One of my Onkyo units was one with the HDMI problem, that Onkyo paid to replace, even after the warranty was over.

And for a long time Oppo seemed to cover just about any manufacturing defect, no matter how old the unit, as long as one pays shipping -- which ain't too bad a deal. But I don't have personal experience with this, since my units have been rock solid. I've just read about it in the Oppo threads here on AVS.
rakstr likes this.

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".

Last edited by nathan_h; 03-11-2015 at 09:16 AM.
post #1917 of 1958 Old 03-15-2015, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Need help with this setup. I have the a2020 and have my pc which is windows 8.1 hooked up thru hdmi (video card is gtx 970), tv is Sharp 8470U. I am trying to set it up so I get video thru hdmi but sound thru the optical spdif. I have my hdmi going into the av3 and I connect the optical cable to the av3. When I select the av3 on the receiver I get video but no sound. If I select the audio 3 I get sound but no video. Any suggestions, thanks.
post #1918 of 1958 Old 03-20-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Follow-up post. The repair shop said that they tested the unit for 3 days, and couldn't find anything wrong. I already updated the firmware, reset to factory defaults, replaced all speaker cables, replaced all HDMI cables, unplugged both the TV and the sub, and was unable to stop the sound cutting in and out, along with various pops and crackles. (This was all before the trip to the repair shop.) I am beyond frustrated. I don't even know what to do with this thing any more.

post #1919 of 1958 Old 03-21-2015, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i have a refurb RX-A2020 awesome receiver love it! only issue i have is it turning on when using ARC. if i turn on my tv it will turn on the receiver. even when i don't want the receiver on. is there anyway to shut this off?
post #1920 of 1958 Old 03-21-2015, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by paesan View Post
Need help with this setup. I have the a2020 and have my pc which is windows 8.1 hooked up thru hdmi (video card is gtx 970), tv is Sharp 8470U. I am trying to set it up so I get video thru hdmi but sound thru the optical spdif. I have my hdmi going into the av3 and I connect the optical cable to the av3. When I select the av3 on the receiver I get video but no sound. If I select the audio 3 I get sound but no video. Any suggestions, thanks.
why not just use ARC and have hdmi for sound and video? plug hdmi cable to arc on tv and arc on receiver. press av1 for video and av1 for audio and your good to go
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A1020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page