The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread - Page 65 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1921 of 1933 Old 03-22-2015, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everybody, this is my second post on these awesome forums. I hope you can help.

Recently I bought a 4K tv, the 9500 LG 65".

The problem I have is, I want to connect my 1020 yamaha to the HDMI 3 imput on the TV, designed specially for UHD content ( it has the 10 bit deep color feature, etc ), the problem is that when I connect the yamaha there, I have no signal at all, and TV says that HDMI version is not compatible with UHD deep colour. I have tried using the HDMI cable that comes with the TV and nothing. Specifications says that if the device connected is not compatible with UHD Deep Color, it may not work. Funny thing is that other devices work on that imput (WDTV live, Pioneer BR Player ), but not the Yamaha. I have setted the Yamaha to upscale video in 4K and even that way I have no signal.

Anyone can help?

Besides I have never updated firmware, I have the 1.51 version. Could a firmware update solve the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1933 Old 03-24-2015, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nicodimus22,

Did you see if an interference source might have been introduced? I have been having similar problems wih my rx-a2020 as you for the last 2 weeks, I noticed crackling a month ago, but it worsened 2 weeks ago to include popping and dropouts.I finally checked the AVS forum last weekend and noticed your posts. It was your posts that made me think I had introduced an interference source, particularly the bit about the repair shop not finding a problem with your receiver. So, I wondered what had I put near my stereo to cause such interference?

The answer was sitting right next to my stereo center. I have a severe disability and use an electric wheelchair (w/c) to get about. A month ago some friends gave me a broken down w/c to turn into a backup w/c, I parked it right next to my stereo center. This "new" w/c came with an automatic battery charger, thus no more having to make sure the charger was turned on, so I started using it. Two weeks ago I got the idea that the charger would be easier to get to for my attendants if it was on the seat of the new chair instead of them crawling between the w/c and the stereo center, it was. However, this now put the new charger level with and within 3 feet of my cd player (which exhibited the worst problems), my other components were stacked above it. Sunday I saw your posts, which started me thinking. Monday morning I moved the charger well away from the stereo center and then turned on the receiver - clarity, no crackles, no pops, and no drop outs. I am having frequent "access errors" with pandora, but I notice the spot I moved charger to is only a couple inches from a cat5 cable which runs to the pc I'm trying set up as a music sever. I'll test moving the charger away from that cat5 cable next.

So, Nicodemus22 thank you for your posts, they were a big help. I think you should inspect your stereo center area for for some interference source, and don't let the innocuous or mundane stay your scrutiny. Good Luck!

jhorri
azz7686 likes this.

Last edited by jhorri; 03-24-2015 at 09:53 PM.
post #1923 of 1933 Old 03-30-2015, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorri View Post
Nicodimus22,

Did you see if an interference source might have been introduced? I have been having similar problems wih my rx-a2020 as you for the last 2 weeks, I noticed crackling a month ago, but it worsened 2 weeks ago to include popping and dropouts.I finally checked the AVS forum last weekend and noticed your posts. It was your posts that made me think I had introduced an interference source, particularly the bit about the repair shop not finding a problem with your receiver. So, I wondered what had I put near my stereo to cause such interference?

The answer was sitting right next to my stereo center. I have a severe disability and use an electric wheelchair (w/c) to get about. A month ago some friends gave me a broken down w/c to turn into a backup w/c, I parked it right next to my stereo center. This "new" w/c came with an automatic battery charger, thus no more having to make sure the charger was turned on, so I started using it. Two weeks ago I got the idea that the charger would be easier to get to for my attendants if it was on the seat of the new chair instead of them crawling between the w/c and the stereo center, it was. However, this now put the new charger level with and within 3 feet of my cd player (which exhibited the worst problems), my other components were stacked above it. Sunday I saw your posts, which started me thinking. Monday morning I moved the charger well away from the stereo center and then turned on the receiver - clarity, no crackles, no pops, and no drop outs. I am having frequent "access errors" with pandora, but I notice the spot I moved charger to is only a couple inches from a cat5 cable which runs to the pc I'm trying set up as a music sever. I'll test moving the charger away from that cat5 cable next.

So, Nicodemus22 thank you for your posts, they were a big help. I think you should inspect your stereo center area for for some interference source, and don't let the innocuous or mundane stay your scrutiny. Good Luck!

jhorri
Glad that it helped someone else. I have tried everything I can think of to resolve the issue. There is nothing else in the room that could be causing interference. At present, I'm sitting in my living room surrounded by several thousand dollars worth of audio equipment, listening to everything through the $2 speakers built into the TV. Beyond frustrated.

Yamaha RX-A1020 AVR | Paradigm Monitor 11v7 L/R | Paradigm Monitor Center 3v7 C | Paradigm Monitor Surround 3v7 LS/RS | Klipsch SW-350 sub
Samsung HL61A750 HDTV | Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player | Logitech Harmony 650 | Sony PS3 Slim 500gb | Nintendo Wii

My movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
post #1924 of 1933 Old 03-30-2015, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
Hey folks. Suddenly, I'm having a major issue with my RX-A1020 after using it for a couple of years with no problem. Thus far, my troubleshooting has failed me.

I'm getting random pops, crackles, and periods of silence for 5-10 seconds at a time while sound should be playing. During the silence, the 5 speaker icons on the front display of the A1020 go dark, and light up again when the sound returns. This happens whether I am listening to my blu-ray player, PS3, or TV, so we can rule out a bad HDMI cable or source device. The video portion of the content continues normally during the audio problems.

My next thought was that it might be a loose connection either at one of the speakers or receiver. I use banana plugs, so there are no loose strands of wire touching each other all willy-nilly. After making sure that all the connections were secure, I played a test tone, unplugging one speaker at a time in an attempt to isolate a bad connection. I still got the crackles, pops, and sound loss, regardless of which speaker/sub was unplugged.

Running out of ideas, I ran the automatic setup again to see if the receiver might indicate where the problem might be. It ran without a hitch, but the problem remains.

Any other ideas that I can try before determining that the unit itself is bad? Thanks in advance.
have you been able to move the unit to another area and test it with just 2 speakers and maybe input from phone? It could be interference bleeding in from any connection or your power socket.
My 720 had horrible static that would be on all speakers even when the system was set to two channel mode. Finally I noticed it was only a problem when my Sirius receiver was powered on. That connection had so much noise plugged into audio 1 that you could hear it on audio 2, and the static was on all input sources.
post #1925 of 1933 Old 03-31-2015, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 53
My problem with sound coming from left channel only when switching to Pure Direct is still present. I'm thinking the latest firmware might have to do something with that, but I suppose there'd be more people posting the same problem. I tried resetting it to factory settings to no avail.

Either way, I'm ready to get rid of this RX-A1020 and Yamaha altogether as soon as new receivers with HDCP 2.2 support become available.
post #1926 of 1933 Old 04-05-2015, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just following up some more. Started testing from scratch yet again yesterday morning. Different HDMI cables, new speaker wire, different power outlets, only 1 component and two speakers, and I couldn't get this receiver to make a sound. The repair shop can find nothing wrong, but it's silent for me. (No, it's not muted. No, it's not on the wrong source. Yes, everything is hooked up correctly.)

OK, so maybe it's something else. Maybe my building's power is screwed up. Maybe my speakers don't work. Let's test that. I went out and bought a Denon receiver yesterday afternoon, brought it home, and...surprise, it works beautifully. My only conclusion is that the Yamaha receiver is defective, and that the repair shop is incompetent because they can't find anything wrong with it. I would be a fool to sink any more money into having the Yamaha looked at...they would just pocket my money again and tell me that nothing is wrong. Guess I'll be tossing it in the dumpster, and never buying Yamaha equipment again.

Yamaha RX-A1020 AVR | Paradigm Monitor 11v7 L/R | Paradigm Monitor Center 3v7 C | Paradigm Monitor Surround 3v7 LS/RS | Klipsch SW-350 sub
Samsung HL61A750 HDTV | Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player | Logitech Harmony 650 | Sony PS3 Slim 500gb | Nintendo Wii

My movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
post #1927 of 1933 Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

Hello: I am new to this forum and have a Yamaha Aventage RX-1020. I have a media computer as my main source for music that is playing FLAC files through an HDMI output to the Aventage receiver. I have a very nice Headphone amp that I would like replicate this FLAC output to without the main speakers playing. So far I have not been able to get any digital output to my headphone amp either by hooking it to Zone two or by connecting it to the pre outputs. I have tried using party mode to no avail. I can, however get output to the headphone amp by connecting analogue to the Receiver.

I've called Yamaha technical support and they tell me I'm supposed to be able to replicate the HDMI FLAC output signal to the headphone amp, but I have not been able to make it work. It seems to me that there is no way to output a Digital signal to any kind of pre-output on this receiver.

Am I missing something? It seems very odd to me that Yamaha would not have allowed this capability because I know many audio enthusiasts that use nice headphone amplifiers with various audio sources.

If anyone could let me know if this is possible with this receiver I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.
post #1928 of 1933 Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaleagle12 View Post
Hello: I am new to this forum and have a Yamaha Aventage RX-1020. I have a media computer as my main source for music that is playing FLAC files through an HDMI output to the Aventage receiver. I have a very nice Headphone amp that I would like replicate this FLAC output to without the main speakers playing. So far I have not been able to get any digital output to my headphone amp either by hooking it to Zone two or by connecting it to the pre outputs. I have tried using party mode to no avail. I can, however get output to the headphone amp by connecting analogue to the Receiver.

I've called Yamaha technical support and they tell me I'm supposed to be able to replicate the HDMI FLAC output signal to the headphone amp, but I have not been able to make it work. It seems to me that there is no way to output a Digital signal to any kind of pre-output on this receiver.

Am I missing something? It seems very odd to me that Yamaha would not have allowed this capability because I know many audio enthusiasts that use nice headphone amplifiers with various audio sources.

If anyone could let me know if this is possible with this receiver I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.
did you try your head phone in the headphone jack?
post #1929 of 1933 Old Today, 08:17 AM

Yes - that obviously works but the sound quality out of the headphone jack of the receiver, (using opamps) is not going to be anywhere near as good as driving $1000+ headphones with a good headphone amplifier.

There should be a way to drive a headphone amp with Digital input from the 1020 receiver no?

If there is, I haven't been able to do it. Yamaha seems to be confused on how to do this as well.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
post #1930 of 1933 Old Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 228
^ With HDMI inputs I think Yamaha simply expected you to use the headphone jack.

You can't convert HDMI inputs to any other format, except in Party Mode where zone 2 will be active.
post #1931 of 1933 Old Today, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ With HDMI inputs I think Yamaha simply expected you to use the headphone jack.

You can't convert HDMI inputs to any other format, except in Party Mode where zone 2 will be active.
OK - well that explains that then. So I'm still confused about Party mode. If I have an HDMI input (Flac from my Media Computer) going into the Receiver - and I have the input of the Headphone amp connected to Zone two - when I have Party mode on I still don't get anything through my Headphone amp. Are you saying this should work in Party mode? The only thing I can get to work in Party mode is if I have an analoge signal going to the receiver. I am wondering if it needs to detect another pair of speakers connected in order for this to work.

I'm thinking the only way I will be able to drive my Headphone amp from the computer is to bypass the receiver altogether. (Put in an external USB audio interface between the Computer and the headphone amp.
post #1932 of 1933 Old Today, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 228
^ Normally only analog works in zone 2, but Party Mode allows any input. I'm not sure exactly how you have to set it up.
post #1933 of 1933 Old Today, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ Normally only analog works in zone 2, but Party Mode allows any input. I'm not sure exactly how you have to set it up.
I don't think digital inputs work in Party mode either.

I have tried hooking my Headphone amplifier to Zone 2 and the Pre amp Front/Right outputs. With Party Mode on I can get no Digital Audio through the Headphone amplifier. With Analog inputs I can make it work with either one.

Yamaha claims it should work, but it doesn't. I have another inquiry into their technical support.

I'll let you know what they say.

I'm going to just add an external USB Audio interface to my Media Computer and attach that to my Headphone amplifer, bypassing the Aventage 1020 altogether. Most of my CD content has been converted to FLAC files. This keeps me from having to dig through thousands of CD's to find a piece of music I'm looking for.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A1020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page