The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1951 of 1960 Old 07-01-2015, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can only send analog inputs to the additional zones. So if you have a device with HDMI outputs you will need to also connect analog sound connectors to the Receiver in tandem with them, and then you will be able to send the devices sound to Zone 2. So for additional zones you have streaming options or analog connection(s) from fixed devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1960 Old 07-26-2015, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sound Issues with RX-A820

My setup: Yamaha RX-A820, Harman Kardon Speakers and subwoofer
Samsung LED TV (2009)

HTPC: Mac Mini 2012 (i7, 2.3GHz, Intel HD4000), running Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp with Windows Media Center
HDHomeRun Prime with FIOS Cable card

I've had this setup running without issues for close to a year - previously, I was renting the STB from Verizon.

About a month ago, I started to experience audio issues watching live TV or viewing recorded TV shows. The output would suddenly change to analog (PCM), or I would lose sound completely. If I do the Auto Setup, plugging in the YPAO mic, I'll occasionally get the E - 10 Internal error.

In addition, there's distortion and sometimes crackling with the sound from the speakers. Also there will be a sudden loud Pop noise. I also have issues with Airplay -- the sound will suddenly drop. I've tried using RCA component cables - but that seems fine (hooking up DVD player).

I cannot identify if this is truly an issue with the receiver unit .... or changes that occurred with Verizon FIOS updates to lockdown cablecards, OR Microsoft's WMC updates. In addition, there are known issues with Mac Mini's / Apple and HDMI outputs.

I have done a total reset of the receiver, and update the firmware to 1.85. I have also unplugged and checked the speaker wires / connections. I've also tried to reinstall some of the drivers on my Mini / Windows, in particular the sound drivers. I've tried everything that others have recommended in various blog sites.

I've reached out to Yamaha -- since I'm still under warranty, I can have the unit diagnosed and repaired at an authorized repair shop.
post #1953 of 1960 Old 08-20-2015, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just found out there is a 1.91 firmware update for my RX-A2020 from july 30th 2015.

I can only see the changelog from the latest firmware only stating "Improves connectivity of network music streaming services".
I can't remember my current firmware version, but think it's been a while.

Is there anywhere I can see all the firmware change logs of the different versions? I tried googling it without succes.
Just want to know if there are more features I'm getting when I upgrade.

Thanks a lot!
Cheers

"The problem with the World is that everyone is a few drinks behind", Humphrey Bogart
post #1954 of 1960 Old 08-20-2015, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPeter View Post
Just found out there is a 1.91 firmware update for my RX-A2020 from july 30th 2015.

I can only see the changelog from the latest firmware only stating "Improves connectivity of network music streaming services".
I can't remember my current firmware version, but think it's been a while.

Is there anywhere I can see all the firmware change logs of the different versions? I tried googling it without succes.
Just want to know if there are more features I'm getting when I upgrade.

Thanks a lot!
Cheers
Tried the Yamaha website?
I suggest not updating unless you have a problem.
post #1955 of 1960 Old 08-20-2015, 07:58 AM

I have tried looking under the product pages, but can't seem to find it. Only the most recent update.
If you have a hint for locating the info, please tell. :-)

"The problem with the World is that everyone is a few drinks behind", Humphrey Bogart
post #1956 of 1960 Old 08-20-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPeter View Post
I have tried looking under the product pages, but can't seem to find it. Only the most recent update.
If you have a hint for locating the info, please tell. :-)
I dont.
If you call Yamaha Im sure they could give you a description.
post #1957 of 1960 Old 08-20-2015, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
Ok, so relative to my post above, I decided to run a y-adapter from one of the subwoofer channels and connected both subs to it to accomplish getting a test tone directly from the AVR to both subs simultaneously. What I found is a bit puzzling. I set the 3020 subwoofer trim to 0 db and sub PEQ to flat (for now), and then level-matched each subwoofer to 75 db using the volume knobs on each sub. After running some tests, I'm getting about a +6 db gain running both subs vs running just one. War Of The Worlds never sounded better in my room. Cool.

Now, the strange thing is, while making no other changes except for level matching and removing the y-adapter and running the subs directly from the subwoofer channels, I see no such improvement. The most I can get is about a 2.5 db increase in SPL between running one sub vs running both. I've tweaked the phase settings and used the variable phase adjustment as well on the subs, and also tried adjusting the distance (delay) +/- .2 steps at at time while having the phase on 0 deg or "normal" in the AVR as well as both subs, and I still can't get more than 2.5 db using both subwooofer channels on the 3020.

I have checked and rechecked that the 3020 is set to Mono and not Stereo in the Configuration menu. I also decided to try the y-adapter on Sub Channel 2 (originally on Sub Channel 1), and I get the same kick-butt +6 db response as with Sub Channel 1.

For the record, I am running different subs, a PSA XV15 and an MFW-15, but I don't see where that would have any effect on the response using both subwoofer outputs vs the y-adapter.

Anyone have a clue on this? Am I'm doing something wrong here?
Just a follow-up to my old post from a while back on my RX-A3020 in case it might help anyone else having subwoofer output issues. I was in the web "/setup" utiltity over the weekend, and I noticed that the Subwoofer Layout was set to "Left/Right". I double-checked the AVR GUI and it was set to "Mono x2". So I changed it to Mono x2 from the web setup utility. I'm guessing something was "stuck" because after making the change in the web setup the bass in my room went from "pretty darn good" to "HOLY CRAP THE WALLS ARE GOING TO COME DOWN". I hadn't changed (or checked) the Subwoofer Layout since I initially set things up with the y-adapter per my post above, so it has been like that ever since! What I haven't tried yet is removing the y-adapter and putting each sub on its own channel and see if I get the SPL measurements I'm expecting. I'd love to be able to level control and measure each sub with YPAO separately.

I should note that I have no idea what the "Left/Right" option is actually doing, as evidenced in my prior post when I assumed it was "Stereo". The existence of a Mono x2 setting had me thinking the Left/Right option is Stereo, but I don't know how that could actually happen if sub-bass and LFE are mono? I don't know for sure, I'm not an expert at this. I do know that because my subs are stacked (I have dual XV15se's now) the Left/Right option shouldn't apply. Anyway, bass is exceptional now. To say that I'm finally happy with my dual XV15se is an understatement, as I'd been feeling like something had been lacking since getting the 2nd unit. I've been watching bass-heavy films every moment I can since making the change.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.

Last edited by red_5ive; 08-20-2015 at 06:00 PM.
post #1958 of 1960 Old 08-25-2015, 06:54 AM

Got reply from Yamaha customer service regarding firmware contents for the RX-A2020 today, thought I'd share it with you, although it is a bit brief.

Quote:
With regards to our updates for our RX-A2020, we only have basic info on the updates contents, sorry :

1.41 = network streaming service updates
1.51 = VPS, WAV, FALC and 4k updates
1.58 = Network and HDMI updates
1.60 = Server input and App updates
1.85 = network streaming service updates
1.91 = network streaming service updates

post #1959 of 1960 Old Today, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I just went to update the firmware on my 1020 and I can't find the web client link I had stored on my PC post W10 upgrade. Beside the "basic" web server access by just typing in the IP address of the unit, there is access to a more "low level" web service on the 1020 via something like http://IPaddress/setup or something. Can anyone remind me of that URL? It was much more useful. Thanks W10, I really wish I had avoided you

Thanks in advance.
post #1960 of 1960 Old Today, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
I just went to update the firmware on my 1020 and I can't find the web client link I had stored on my PC post W10 upgrade. Beside the "basic" web server access by just typing in the IP address of the unit, there is access to a more "low level" web service on the 1020 via something like http://IPaddress/setup or something. Can anyone remind me of that URL? It was much more useful. Thanks W10, I really wish I had avoided you

Thanks in advance.
192.168.1.1/setup/
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A1020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page