The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1862 Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera Man View Post

I assume this problem is power related and the A2020 is having problems handling the 4ohm speakers.
Thoughts/Ideas/Suggestions???

I'm running Paradign Studio 100's on my 2020 and they are 4 ohm speakers. No issues on this end.

If your system shuts down quickly look closely at your speaker wiring. Disconnect one at a time to identify the suspect feed. If things play normal for awhile then shut down (particularly at high volumes), you may be experiencing a cooling issue.

Running low impedance speakers on amps results in more heat being generated by the amp. Most amps will handle this added load "if" the heat is managed. Heat can be an issue if the amp has a thermal protection scheme built in which is common in AVRs. Usally this only becomes an issue if your environment surrounding the AVR is one that prohibits effective cooling. If your amp is packed in a cabinet with little or no air flow then you may expect trouble. It's common if you have this situation to provide some air moment over the amp. If you do this and the problem goes away, then you know what you have to deal with. If the problem doesn't go away, then you probably have a real issue of some sort.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1862 Old 11-18-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 62
If you have a way to confirm your impedance check it at the receiver with the speaker wire runs.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #183 of 1862 Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 PM

Liked: 10
AirPlay Connection Problem

Hi - I'm new here so not sure if I should start a new thread. I'm putting this here coz it relates to a 1020 so apologies if it's in the wrong place...

I'm trying to stream from iTunes on a Vista laptop via AirPlay to the 1020 but although they appear to see each other, I'm getting a connection error -15000.

I remember having a similar problem connecting to another device in the past and the solution involved opening a certain port - probably in the Windows firewall but I don't remember the details.

If anyone's had experience of this and can suggest a solution I'd appreciate it!

Cheers,

Nick
post #184 of 1862 Old 11-24-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

I was just talking to someone today who said his NES worked with his Denon AV receiver, but I'm not sure what model it was. Last year's models (AVR-xx12) still have S-Video connectors, and are still available in some stores so that maybe something else to consider.
Thanks! Looks like some good deals on them too, but they seem to be limited to one or two s-video / component inputs, which would necessitate switches. I like the idea of an all-in-one solution like the high-end Yamaha's provide, but at the same time I feel like they might be too much receiver for me! It's a tough decision, and I am concerned about signal quality degradation with cheap switches.
post #185 of 1862 Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 AM

I was out of town for Thanksgiving and just back. Originally I had Monitor Audio (MA) 8s (silver) as fronts with the MA Center. I also had an older Bose Acoustimass Series II that I had connected, using only 4 of the 5 cubes; surround and surround/back. I manually adjusted the levels for the Bose which I believed caused the problem.

I have since removed the Bose and purchased a pair of MA RXFX for surround. Currently running a 5.1.......PROBLEM GONE.

RX-A2020 // Front - MA Silver 8 // Center MA RX Centre // Surround - MA RXFX (2) // Sub - Klipsch SW112

This system replaced a lifestyle 25.....Wow!!! Quality is like night and day...

Thanks for all that replied.
post #186 of 1862 Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Hello Yamaha people! Would anyone like to take a crack at the following question?

I'm running an Aventage RX-A2020 which feeds a Panasonic TCP 60st50. Verizon FIOS supplies Internet and FIOS.

FIOS is plugged into the Aventage and distributed beautifully in a 5.1 system except...when I run NETFLIX and YOUTUBE via the VIERA system
that is on-board the TV.

When I do so, the sound is distributed to the TV speakers, only and it is low quality. I thought that the new HDMI cables were bidirectional for sound but it seems that I
still need to make some connection or enable a particular setting.

Any tips on how to get NEFLIX via the on-board VIERA system feed a 5.1 signal to the Aventage?
post #187 of 1862 Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
You can turn on HDMI ARC, if your TV supports it, to try to get sound coming back from your TV to your receiver, but this doesn't always work well in practice. Using a optical digital audio cable to connect your TV's audio out to your receiver tends to work out better and is functionaly equivilent.
post #188 of 1862 Old 11-30-2012, 01:47 AM

Hi -

I am thinking about getting an A1020 to connect to my PC via HDMI for mainly music and some gaming.

Can anyone tell me if the A1020 can pass through higher resolutions than 1080p? I am aware of the new 4K feature, but that doesn't tell me much about resolutions like 2560x1440 or similar, which are popular on computer displays. So, I guess the question is: is it "only 1080p or 4K" or "everything up to 4K"?

Thanks very much for any insight!
post #189 of 1862 Old 11-30-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by formig View Post

Can anyone tell me if the A1020 can pass through higher resolutions than 1080p? I am aware of the new 4K feature, but that doesn't tell me much about resolutions like 2560x1440 or similar, which are popular on computer displays.

It might, but I would assume it won't until someone actually tries it. I know that in the past Yamaha receivers were only designed to pass a list of specific standard resolutions.
post #190 of 1862 Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by formig View Post

Hi -
I am thinking about getting an A1020 to connect to my PC via HDMI for mainly music and some gaming.
Can anyone tell me if the A1020 can pass through higher resolutions than 1080p? I am aware of the new 4K feature, but that doesn't tell me much about resolutions like 2560x1440 or similar, which are popular on computer displays. So, I guess the question is: is it "only 1080p or 4K" or "everything up to 4K"?
Thanks very much for any insight!

HDMI 1.4, which is what the A1020 uses, supports up to 4096×2160p24 at 36-bit/px. I would suggest contacting support for both products and find out if that resolution is allowed. You will want to be sure to have a High Speed HDMI cable, if you are intending to support higher frame rates at that resolution. I just looked at the RX-A3020 manual and it gives the following for supported HDMI resolutions: 480i/60 Hz; 576i/50 Hz; 480p/60 Hz; 576p/50 Hz; 720p/60 Hz, 50 Hz; and 1080i/60 Hz, 50 Hz..
post #191 of 1862 Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 PM

The rxa 2020 defeated me......
I am a little trouble by the set up menu in the yamaha 2020. It s by far the most complicated one I have ever encountered. I have had marantz and anthem rceivers and both were piss of cake to work out but the 2020 is another story.
I am trying to adjust all my speaker level via a spl meter but not sure were to start or how to do so.can anybody point me I. The right direction please.
Regards
John
post #192 of 1862 Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

The simplest way would be to plug in the YPAO microphone and follow the on screen menus. The speaker level settings ([On Screen] -> Setup -> Speakers-> Manual Setup -> Level) aren't hard to find if you want to adjust them manually, but I think you still might be better off with YPAO.
post #193 of 1862 Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 AM

My ypao cable is not long enough as my amp is not under theta but stacked away in a custom cabinet, so can t do ypao for now. Might buy a 3.5mm cord to add on,but in the mean time I d like to use the spl. I did finnd the set up menu , manual, level, but there s no pink noise for me to adjust to 75db.
Regards
post #194 of 1862 Old 12-03-2012, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

[On Screen] -> Setup -> Speakers-> Manual Setup -> Test Tone -> On
post #195 of 1862 Old 12-03-2012, 05:12 PM

hi Ross
thanks a lot for your input. i did find the test tone however, m a little confused as how weak the pink noise is and the fact that it can be adjusted with the volume control.
as an example, with the mrx receiver, when you decide to tweak it manually with the aid of a spl meter, the receiver generated a pink noise that was way louder than the 2020 and was not adjustable with volume and therefore getting a perfect spl meter reading/adjustment was very simple.
On the 2020,the pink noise is weak, and even after adjust ting by +10db still does not reach 75db on the spl meter. is there somewhere that state that i should have the amp volume set to a certain level in order to do a manual tweak.
thanks again for your help.really appreciate it. may get the dealer to come and get me some tip as with the amount of gear i bought there m sure he ll be able to do that or at least help me out so that i don t have to annoy you any further.smile.gif
kind regards
john:
post #196 of 1862 Old 12-04-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmstpierre View Post

...is there somewhere that state that i should have the amp volume set to a certain level in order to do a manual tweak

Yes, 0dB is reference level, so that's where you need the master volume in order to read 75dB for the test tones. But it doesn't matter where the master volume is if you're just equalizing speaker levels to sound the same.
post #197 of 1862 Old 12-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am considering replacing my yamaha 3000 with a new yamaha 2020. I love my 3000 except for the fact that i cant turn off the on screen volume on display. It is very annoying to me on my 110" screen. Does anyone have any info on sound quality comparisons between the 2 units. I do use external amplifiers so it is only the processing that is important to me.

Dolby Atmos 9.2.4 Marantz 7009 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 bluray player Jvc 4910 projector Benq 1070 projector
Carada 110"BW screen Monster HTS 5100 MK11 power conditioner
Golden Ear Triton 7 L&R &super center XL Emotiva erm 6.2 sides ert 8.3 rear s
Emotiva erd-1 front wides 4 erd-1 on ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
post #198 of 1862 Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How do you turn off the volume display on the 3020?
post #199 of 1862 Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvy56 View Post

How do you turn off the volume display on the 3020?

Function menu / Display Set / Short Message/ Off
post #200 of 1862 Old 12-09-2012, 02:18 PM

Hi All, new Aventage 1020 owner here. Quite pleased with this unit so far. Just performed a very, very overdue home theater system overhaul... in addition to replacing a 10-year-old Sony STR-DB1070 6.1 A/V receiver, I've just replaced an 11-year-old Sony 32" CRT (still has a great SD picture and a very nice 16:9 mode for widescreen-enhanced DVD's) with a Panasonic VT50 55" Plasma, and replaced an 11-year-old Panasonic DVD player with the Panny BDT500 Blu-Ray player. Sound is played through a 10-year-old Bose speaker setup consisting of 701 Series II full-size fronts with built-in sub, VCS-10 center, and Series 161 side and rear surrounds for a full 7.1 arrangement. I've run the YPAO setup a few times and, as another poster mentioned, I felt the sound was a bit flat with the YPAO settings. However, by manually adjusting the Parametric EQ I have a very pleasing sound now for my 2-channel stereo music (really 2.1, as the info screen shows the subwoofer channel active, which I love). Honestly haven't had a chance to run any Blu-Rays specifically to check out the full 7.1 PEQ settings yet.

A major factor for me choosing the Aventage A10XX line was the inclusion of a Phono connection, many legacy Video and S-Video connections which are output though HDMI, and a plethora of S/PDIF Coaxial and TOSLink inputs. I am carrying forward a number of pieces of legacy gear including a Technics 1200MKII turntable, Pioneer CLD-D702 Laserdisc Player (with S/PDIF digital audio output), and I even wish to resurrect an old Mitsubishi U-70 S-VHS recorder. Also, I have a Sony MXD-D5C 5-Disc CD Changer / MiniDisc Recorder deck, which I have specially modified for S/PDIF out (see here and here). A big issue I had with the old Sony A/V Receiver was outputting S/PDIF audio from an MD or CD transport into the receiver... every track change which was accompanied by a standard 2-second track gap would cause the receiver to temporarily unlock the digital input. It would take a noticeable fraction of a second for the next track to become audible, as the first few beats of any track that would begin after a 2-second track space would be clipped off (and likewise when skipping forward or back tracks on a CD). I am very happy to report that the Yamaha has solved this issue! All the tracks on any CD play though just fine with no clipped track starts, whether there is a 2-second gap or not. W00t!

We have a Comcast Motorola DCX-3400M Cable DVR and typical Comcast silver remote control. I have not been able to successfully program the Comcast remote to power on/off, nor control volume/mute of the Yamaha A1020 receiver. Anyone else have any luck with this? I do have the VieraLink turned on between the VT50 display, BDT500 BD Player, and Yamaha 1020 Receiver, so I CAN control Power and Volume of the receiver using any of those remotes only. Thanks!
post #201 of 1862 Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Djinn View Post

Hello Yamaha people! Would anyone like to take a crack at the following question?
I'm running an Aventage RX-A2020 which feeds a Panasonic TCP 60st50. Verizon FIOS supplies Internet and FIOS.
FIOS is plugged into the Aventage and distributed beautifully in a 5.1 system except...when I run NETFLIX and YOUTUBE via the VIERA system
that is on-board the TV.
When I do so, the sound is distributed to the TV speakers, only and it is low quality. I thought that the new HDMI cables were bidirectional for sound but it seems that I
Any tips on how to get NEFLIX via the on-board VIERA system feed a 5.1 signal to the Aventage?

If you look at the HDMI ports on your TV, there is a specific port with the letters ARC next to it (I believe it is HDMI 2). Be sure you are using this port to your receiver. Also go into the VieraLink Options in the Menua. See page 127 on this link: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/E-HELP_ST50.PDF
camroncamera likes this.
post #202 of 1862 Old 12-11-2012, 12:23 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by buening82 View Post

If you look at the HDMI ports on your TV, there is a specific port with the letters ARC next to it (I believe it is HDMI 2). Be sure you are using this port to your receiver. Also go into the VieraLink Options in the Menua. See page 127 on this link: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/E-HELP_ST50.PDF

You will need to enable the Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) for both devices.
post #203 of 1862 Old 12-11-2012, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldemar View Post

Hi,
Checking the AH review found this:
Source
Is this true for the production model? or has a FW update fixed the issue?
Any idea if this is only for Airplay, or the same happens with any network (or non-network) source?

Does anyone know the answer to this? I didn't see an answer posted unless I missed it. Is this true for the 3020 as well?
post #204 of 1862 Old 12-11-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Djinn View Post

that is on-board the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buening82 View Post

I was about to ask virtually the same question regarding my VT50 and A1020... thanks for the information! It turns out that, indeed, I had to move the HDMI cable on the TV from Input 1 (non-ARC) to Input 2 (ARC-compatible), plus enable ARC on the Yamaha Receiver. These were the additional steps that I had to perform on my Yamaha receiver: Using the Yamaha remote press "ON SCREEN" > go to "Setup" > "HDMI" > "HDMI Control" > "On"... even if this setting already says "On", be sure to select and enable "On" again, because doing so then brings up the ARC option on a further menu level; NOW you can turn on the ARC by selecting "ARC" > "On". This hung me up for a few days because even though I would scroll through the Setup menu and could see that I had the HDMI Control set to "On", there is the hidden level where the ARC control is found that only comes up after entering (or re-entering) the "HDMI Control" > "On" value.

HTH.
post #205 of 1862 Old 12-12-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camroncamera View Post

I was about to ask virtually the same question regarding my VT50 and A1020... thanks for the information! It turns out that, indeed, I had to move the HDMI cable on the TV from Input 1 (non-ARC) to Input 2 (ARC-compatible), plus enable ARC on the Yamaha Receiver. These were the additional steps that I had to perform on my Yamaha receiver: Using the Yamaha remote press "ON SCREEN" > go to "Setup" > "HDMI" > "HDMI Control" > "On"... even if this setting already says "On", be sure to select and enable "On" again, because doing so then brings up the ARC option on a further menu level; NOW you can turn on the ARC by selecting "ARC" > "On". This hung me up for a few days because even though I would scroll through the Setup menu and could see that I had the HDMI Control set to "On", there is the hidden level where the ARC control is found that only comes up after entering (or re-entering) the "HDMI Control" > "On" value.
HTH.

BTW after performing the above, you may find that if you have any PCM digital audio sources (CD Player transport, etc.) going into the Audio Input # 1 / TOSlink Optical #5 connection on the rear panel (not sure if the layout on all the X020's are the same), you may have to also check that your TV Audio Input is set to an input other than Audio #1; I turned on ARC and then I was unable to listen to Audio #1 / Digital In #5 from my CD deck - in fact I was chasing this problem all day after making the changes described in my earlier post. To free up Audio In #1 for a CD player, etc., perform the following: Using the Yamaha remote press "ON SCREEN" > go to "Setup" > "HDMI" > "HDMI Control" > "On" > "TV Audio Input" > I set mine to "AUDIO 4" to free up AUDIO 1 to tie together with Optical #5.
post #206 of 1862 Old 12-12-2012, 08:39 AM

Liked: 11
I have a brand new RX-A720 and I know this isn't the right thread but I figured you all might be more experienced and/or knowledgeable about my issue. Everything works fine on the unit except for the Blu Ray. Any discs play just fine in it but it will not display the opening menu screen of the player. It begins to on startup of the player but then video disappears. the 720 front display shows the hdmi out blinking intermittently. The player works fine in all manner if directly hooked to the tv. I've tried several different cables same results. I've updated the firmware, done a reset on the video no change. Ive tried the Mon chk to skip no help I'm at a loss to do anything but return this thing. The player is a Sony BDP-S790 the TV an Pioneer Elite.
post #207 of 1862 Old 12-15-2012, 11:30 AM

I was hoping someone could help me with a frustrating problem. I have a new RX-A1020 and have connected it to my home network. I have no problems upgrading microcode or controlling the receiver with a browser, so I know my network connectivity is ok. However, when I go to yradio.vtuner.com and enter the MACADDR, I get the error message "The ID # you entered was not found. Please make sure that you have entered it correctly." I know I am specifying the correct MACADDR and I have also verified that there is no issues with my router. Can anyone please offer suggestions? Thanks.
post #208 of 1862 Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikea Monkey View Post

I was hoping someone could help me with a frustrating problem. I have a new RX-A1020 and have connected it to my home network. I have no problems upgrading microcode or controlling the receiver with a browser, so I know my network connectivity is ok. However, when I go to yradio.vtuner.com and enter the MACADDR, I get the error message "The ID # you entered was not found. Please make sure that you have entered it correctly." I know I am specifying the correct MACADDR and I have also verified that there is no issues with my router. Can anyone please offer suggestions? Thanks.

Have you tried different punctuation? It is now common to use ':' (colon) between octets
but '-' (dash) was the original standard. Also, have you tried upper case letters in place
of lower case (or vice versa?) Finally, make sure you're not entering any of the zeros as
upper case 'O'.
post #209 of 1862 Old 12-23-2012, 10:17 AM

I have just unpacked the RX-A3020 that Santa brought and I'm trying to figure out the purpose of the [A] - [C] buttons on the remote. It seems they are used to change the device controlled by the remote without changing the HDMI input, but when is such a capability required? Thanks.
post #210 of 1862 Old 12-23-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

An example of how the [A], [B], [C] buttons can be useful is when you're watching TV, with your cable box selected as the current input on you receiver, and want to turn off another device, like say a Blu-Ray player that you had been watching previously. If the Blu-Ray player has been (also) assigned to [A] then you can press [A] on the receiver's remote and then turn off the player without having to interrupt your TV watching, using a different remote or getting off the couch.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A1020 by PriceGrabber.com