The *Official* Onkyo TX-NR414/515/616 Problems Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do you own an Onkyo TX-TR414/515/616 receiver that is displaying at least one of the following probl
Yes, I can't turn it on with the remote. 26 9.00%
Yes, the HDMI fails. 100 34.60%
Yes, I can't log into Spotify. 9 3.11%
Yes, I can't stream music from my phone. 13 4.50%
Yes, I have another problem not listed (explain below). 54 18.69%
No, I have one of these receivers and have not had a problem with it. 81 28.03%
Another answer not accounted for - explanation below. 10 3.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 682 Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3R3K View Post

It turns out it was the HDMI cable, it seems the h5260 has issues with cheaper HDMI cables. It blew my mind when I hooked up the more expensive cable (high speed) and the image worked fine after that. Now I have no issues whatsoever with my onkyo and my sound is mindblowing. There are also some options in the advanced setup that could cause this to happen as well, but a simple factory reset should put in the proper settings to get you up and running.

I'm now having issues with HDMI not working at power up, but I've noticed if I wait a minute or less, it seems to work. Funny thing is that I got the unit in July, and hadn't made any changes, and the HDMI started failing.

So I updated firmware, and the problem is still there.

Onkyo tech support recommended going with the shortest possible cable to the TV.

Also reading up on all this, I've learned a couple things:
1. TVs/Projectors are different in terms of sensitivity, as far as picking up HDMI signals.
2. The source material can also be a factor; The 616 up-converts to 1080P, and they know of an issue with incoming 1080P. The recommendation was to lower the resolution.
3. HDMI cables can make a difference, especially with longer runs. A CNET article that caused some controversy posited that all HDMI cables were the same, with the exception of longer runs.

My setup with the TX-NR616:
Panasonic TC-P50GT30 TV as main monitor, connected with 5 m Parts Express HDMI cable
Sony 32" LCD-something as sub-monitor, connected to 50 ft Parts Express HDMI cable
Verizon Fios box, Boxee, Roku, and Dish Vip DVR all connected through HDMI, parts express cables, all about 5 m.
Network standby is ON, and the monitor output is set to "both"

When I've had HMDI failures, on a couple occasions I checked the sub-monitor TV, and it works there, but not on the "main" monitor. The signal must not be getting just split, since the on-screen menus only show up on the main TV. Unless they get split, then graphics are added.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57540275-221/still-more-reasons-why-all-hdmi-cable-are-the-same/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 682 Old 12-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Bix

Got a 515 a few days ago. It's MOSTLY working fine, with no major input/output issues, but I'm having a couple problems with streaming over my LAN (latest firmware is installed, FWIW: version 1141-0108-0400):

- "Home Media" (Samba shares) sees my Synology NAS, but when I select it, I get a "no items" message.
- DLNA sees the NAS fine, but I'm having problems with playing high resolution (24-bit, 88.2/96/176.4/192 khz) FLAC files (both purchased from HDTracks and encoded myself): The receiver says they're 16-bit, 44.1 kHz and also doubles the runtime, so I get a few minutes of silence equal to the length of each song after it plays. Tried decoding to an uncompressed LPCM WAV file, and that streamed fine: Correct runtime, bit depth, and sample rate. When I tried "transcoding" (for lack of a better term since it's all Lossless) to Apple Lossless and while that had the correct bit depth and sample rate, the runtime was listed as 53 seconds less than it should be, and playback stopped abruptly at that point. All files play normally in OSX and Windows software based players.

Have a ticket with Onkyo and sent them samples. The support rep told me they'll check the files tonight and get back to me tomorrow.

Has anyone had similar issues or are these problems just the result of a hiccup during one of the firmware updates? The Samba issue is really weird since all of my other devices see it fine. With the hi res lossless files, I'm using formats that are supposed to be fully supported.

Thanks.

post #273 of 682 Old 12-19-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcj103 View Post

The signal must not be getting just split, since the on-screen menus only show up on the main TV.

According to the manual, the on screen menus only show up on the main HDMI out.
post #274 of 682 Old 12-21-2012, 04:00 AM

Ever since I got the upgrade 1141-0108-0400, using My LG 50inch TV 3D Plasma, with My TX-NR616 it has Stopped Dropping the signal, TouchWood.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.

Best Regards

Robert.
post #275 of 682 Old 12-21-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojorockets52 View Post

I noticed some people are having trouble doing the USB update. Onkyo has posted a how to video on their youtube channel so you guys should go check it out. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Thank you verymuch,updated successfully. my onkyo 616 with new firmware.
I got few issues initially but resolved all working great.
1.HDMI ISSUES;working with samsung smart tv (with any net ).
first few days I dint understand how to get it(anynet/ARC) ,worried much that am unable to get sound from receiver for tv apps like netflix and USB movies.
SOLUTION-JUST GO TO SETTINGS-HARDWARE IN LIST-TURN ON HDMI/RIHD..SIMPLE
2.NEW FIRM WARE UPDATE
it is not showing in auto,so download all files in to a blank usb(not in to other folder)-just copy all the 3 files and one receiver folder(u will get it when u unzip.
if u have any issues just mail me
post #276 of 682 Old 12-22-2012, 09:26 AM

Hi, second attempt to post my experienced with a reconditioned 515 bought off Ebay.

Setup straightforward but I am using mostly HDMI except lost HDMI once. Got it back with a factory reset.

Other equipment Humax Fox 2 used as an HD TV tuner on HDMI 2
LG Blu-ray DVD on HDMI 1
Logitec Squeezebox duo inputting to Opt 1 selected on Game input (HDMI blank)
TV 720i Toshiba due for upgrading.

Network able to pick up internet radio ok also Windows media player on laptop via Wifi and desktop file server wired. Can't hear any difference between these!
5.1 Sony speakers at least 12yrs old now definitely weak link.

Regarding quality, Sound and picture now ok, still learning about the myriad listening modes. For my ears, network input music and radio noticeably better than Squeezebox streaming which I had previously thought very good (on an old Sony receiver)

Lastly to my question: has anyone successfully set up Jazz fm 'On Demand'. If I enter the URL exactly as on the PC it's not found. Main live Jazz fm station along with other 'pre-programmed' stations work fine. Havn't tried Spotify etc yet.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
post #277 of 682 Old 12-24-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bix View Post

I'm having problems with playing high resolution (24-bit, 88.2/96/176.4/192 khz) FLAC files (both purchased from HDTracks and encoded myself): The receiver says they're 16-bit, 44.1 kHz and also doubles the runtime, so I get a few minutes of silence equal to the length of each song after it plays. Tried decoding to an uncompressed LPCM WAV file, and that streamed fine: Correct runtime, bit depth, and sample rate. When I tried "transcoding" (for lack of a better term since it's all Lossless) to Apple Lossless and while that had the correct bit depth and sample rate, the runtime was listed as 53 seconds less than it should be, and playback stopped abruptly at that point. All files play normally in OSX and Windows software based players.

I've noticed that my 5.1 FLAC and Vorbis files play in stereo without even downmixing (C/SR/SL/LFE are just removed). However, I've got an HTPC (MythTV) that decodes it to LPCM in its original resolution so it doesn't bother me that much. I just bought it to power my speakers and be an HDMI switchbox/splitter - that's all.
post #278 of 682 Old 12-24-2012, 03:46 PM

I've downloaded the latest firmware and put it on a USB drive but when I go to the firmware update page there's no option to update via USB--any ideas? rolleyes.gif
Incidentally, if anyone tries a USB update using a Mac, all the invisible files the Mac creates (they start with periods) seem to make the drive invisible to the 616 (at least it did in 5 out of 6 drives I tried, drove me nuts for a bit). You'll either have to remove them all (there is a pref pane that does this, can't recall it's name at the moment) or use a PC.
post #279 of 682 Old 12-24-2012, 04:15 PM

I just noticed the other day that when I had my 616 set to PC, and pressed the setup button, an app called Plex launched. It could be controlled by the remote. I got curious and decided to get the server software and set that up (uses a web interface, worked ok on an i7 Macbook Pro 17). It plays most of my media pretty well, even had plugins to support NPR, PBS, even Daily Show and Colbert full episodes. Just found a whole new way to use my 616, by accident even. Sweet.biggrin.gif
I'm still not sure how this works, I don't think I set up Plex to listen to any port, it just works somehow.
post #280 of 682 Old 12-24-2012, 06:41 PM

The drive and files are recognized....
How u r saying that u r files r recognized when it is not showing firmware update page.
if the files recogized then only it will show usb update option.

unzip ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA_118
copy these files in to a empty USB , AND DONT USE EXTRA FOLDER FOR IT
1.AVR000D_Release Folder
2.ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of1
3.ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of2
4.ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of3

Turn hdmi off , settings in hardware
put NET MODE IN RECEIVER

CONNECT USB TO RECIVER
THEN GO TO FIRMWARE UPDATE
U WILL FIND UPDATE FROM USB
IF DOESNT WORK MAIL ME

THANKS
post #281 of 682 Old 12-25-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

I just noticed the other day that when I had my 616 set to PC, and pressed the setup button, an app called Plex launched. It could be controlled by the remote. I got curious and decided to get the server software and set that up (uses a web interface, worked ok on an i7 Macbook Pro 17). It plays most of my media pretty well, even had plugins to support NPR, PBS, even Daily Show and Colbert full episodes. Just found a whole new way to use my 616, by accident even. Sweet.biggrin.gif
I'm still not sure how this works, I don't think I set up Plex to listen to any port, it just works somehow.

Was the Plex client built into the 616? or Was your mac connected to the PC input of the receiver and it had Plex client installed?
post #282 of 682 Old 12-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbonkyo View Post

The drive and files are recognized....
How u r saying that u r files r recognized when it is not showing firmware update page.
if the files recogized then only it will show usb update option.
unzip ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA_118
copy these files in to a empty USB , AND DONT USE EXTRA FOLDER FOR IT
1.AVR000D_Release Folder
2.ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of1
3.ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of2
4.ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of3
Turn hdmi off , settings in hardware
put NET MODE IN RECEIVER
CONNECT USB TO RECIVER
THEN GO TO FIRMWARE UPDATE
U WILL FIND UPDATE FROM USB
IF DOESNT WORK MAIL ME
THANKS

I was tryng to FW Upgrade since yesterday; until today; now works following exactly this process. But first you have to format the usb pen drive to FAT32; and then copy only the extracted files with the directory as it looks in the previous post. So in your root you will have 3 files plus the AVR00D_Release folder in which inside there are 4 another files.

Thanks!
post #283 of 682 Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 PM

I have an Onkyo 515. Hooked up to a built in wall 5.1 surround sound, Acer Revo HTPC and a Panasonic TC-L55E50.

Everything is hooked up properly and works great however sometimes when I am watching a YouTube video or any movie and I suddenly close the program I get this annoying sound jittering. It only happens sometimes. When it does happen it happens when the sound is still playing and I suddenly close the program.

Has anyone experienced this or know what might fix this? All devices have the most up to date firmware. I am not sure if it is a setting in the receiver or my HTPC sound card perhaps. When I isolate each speaker it will happen to any of the 5 speakers meaning it is not just one isolated speaker doing it. I have also hooked a second HTPC that I have and it is the same problem which leads me to believe it is a speaker delay or something in the receiver? I have thought about re calibrating the receiver and speakers again to see if that helps.

Thanks
post #284 of 682 Old 12-28-2012, 10:16 AM

What do people recommend as an alternative to the 616?
post #285 of 682 Old 12-28-2012, 03:39 PM

denon 2113
post #286 of 682 Old 12-28-2012, 03:54 PM

my problem with the Onkyo, the speakers are crackling sound - after connecting hdmi OUT cable is not popping out
tested on a number of cables from various sources

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlpO8FRI6A8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=omEyTSgpr48&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6U7Cc4XhcU&NR=1&feature=endscreen
post #287 of 682 Old 12-29-2012, 05:59 AM

It's almost double price. Anything in same ballpark as the 616?
post #288 of 682 Old 12-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Heybadam; do you own the 616? If so then is there something you dont like it so far? I bought a 515 and I want to return it and get the 616 because the 515 does not has manual eq. I bought it at crutchfield. If you bought it at crutchfield and still on the 60 days return policy then you can return it and I can get it at the outlet crutchfield store

The denon 1913 would be an alternative for the 616. Or if youre lucky and can get the onkyo 809 for $500.
post #289 of 682 Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 PM

Thank you. Tried it twice but with no success. Did it again following your instructions and the You Tube video and at the moment it is at the 14% level.

I actually came to this blog because my 616 will sometimes just shut off. I have to turn it back on again. The error message reads 'check SP wire". When I go to the instruction dvd, I cannot find a section which deals with error codes and I cannot find any mention of "check SP wire".

But again, thank you for your help. Who knows? Perhpas this update will "cure" my mysterious "check SP wire" error code and keep my receiver turned on. smile.gif Aloha!
post #290 of 682 Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohajimmy View Post

Thank you. Tried it twice but with no success. Did it again following your instructions and the You Tube video and at the moment it is at the 14% level.
I actually came to this blog because my 616 will sometimes just shut off. I have to turn it back on again. The error message reads 'check SP wire". When I go to the instruction dvd, I cannot find a section which deals with error codes and I cannot find any mention of "check SP wire".
But again, thank you for your help. Who knows? Perhpas this update will "cure" my mysterious "check SP wire" error code and keep my receiver turned on. smile.gif Aloha!

http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/t424-check-sp-wire-error-during-switch-on-of-onkyo-tx-nr609-and-automatic-shutting-down-juste-after
post #291 of 682 Old 12-30-2012, 02:32 PM

Hi,

I have a problem in my nr -414 concerning sound decoder, I presume
When listening a DTS or Dolby source the central channel sound is very low. The same happens with non DTS or Dolby sources when I choose DD Prologic 2 or DTS neo 6. The central channel is very low (it doesn't have soul). I already made a factory reset and the problem continues.
To have a good sound output I must choose "all channels stereo ". I already have the last firmware release. Anyone know a clue to bypass this situation?

Regards
post #292 of 682 Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismgh View Post

Hi,
I have a problem in my nr -414 concerning sound decoder, I presume
When listening a DTS or Dolby source the central channel sound is very low. The same happens with non DTS or Dolby sources when I choose DD Prologic 2 or DTS neo 6. The central channel is very low (it doesn't have soul). I already made a factory reset and the problem continues.
To have a good sound output I must choose "all channels stereo ". I already have the last firmware release. Anyone know a clue to bypass this situation?
Regards

Hi I have the 616, I had the same problem, on the 616 if you go into setup go to Audio then to center level you can turn it up hopefully that should work. Happy New Year.

Rob.

Best Regards

Robert.
post #293 of 682 Old 12-31-2012, 05:23 AM

Anyone actually able to log into spotify on the TR414? I'm having problems doing this. Tried with FB login and then also tried with another account that wasn't FB and still no joy.
Also, am able to login to LastFM but says cannot play due to region?? I'm in the UK so whats that all about. It does that on every track i try and play??

I have it hooked up to my NAS with extensive music library but still wanna use these other features.

It's the only issue i have with the 414 though. Bought it about 4 weeks back, updated to most recent firmware and no trouble bar the spotify and Last FM issue.
Good quality amp as far as i can see & hear
post #294 of 682 Old 12-31-2012, 05:48 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 1745
AFAIK, a Premium account (9.99/month) is required.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #295 of 682 Old 12-31-2012, 11:38 AM

I got a 515 a few weeks back & everything was fine for a few days, then I started getting the "check sp wire" message. It happened 3-4 times, but only above certain volume levels (approx 40- not really that loud.) Yesterday, my wife was listening to her iPod through the receiver & she accidentally hit one of the Source buttons on the remote, which stopped the playback. When she switched the source back, music played for a minute or so, then "check sp wire" displayed & the receiver shut down. When I turned it back on, there was no sound for any source- tv, dvd, cd, iPod. I put banana plugs on all my speaker wires going into the receiver, but still nothing. It turns on, but no sound. Did something get fried?
post #296 of 682 Old 12-31-2012, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My parent's 515 has been working just fine since the update firmware wise. Now the receiver has a terrible sound periodicaly coming from it as if there is a screw loose and the chasis is vibrating. The only way to stop it is by placing something on top of the receiver (like a book or hockey puck). Anybody else experience this?

This is a CHEAP receiver. I have never experienced such a mess with any of the electronics I have owned or worked with. To Onkyo's credit, I have been running a b-stock NR807 for the past few years with Zero issues. Considering this, my faith in their products as a whole is just not there anymore.
post #297 of 682 Old 01-01-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHudson View Post

Hi I have the 616, I had the same problem, on the 616 if you go into setup go to Audio then to center level you can turn it up hopefully that should work. Happy New Year.
Rob.

Hi, I tried your clue but the central volume is already in "+12"
What is strange is that this issue only happens if i choose the profiles DD Prologic 2 and DTS neo on "movies" remote button, if i choose the button "music" everithing is just fine.
I think i'll contact the Onkyo support.
Happy New Year
post #298 of 682 Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 AM

Hi all,

Please excuse my ignorance, and I've searched through this thread but my current knowledge is a bit tenuous and some of the terms are unknown to me presently so I thought it best to just ask the question here.

Just before Xmas I bought a TX-NR414. All was good and I installed it and got it working with an LG 4050 tv, a Sky+HD satellite box, and a Sony BDPs790 Blu ray player.

It worked fine with the Sky box, played music CDs fine, played a DVD fine.
Today I decided to play another Blu ray on it and there was no output to the TV. I plugged the Blu ray player direct into the second HDMI on the TV and it worked fine.
I swapped the HDMI leads around on the back of the receiver and then the Blu ray plays fine but the Sky box now on the first input (BR/DVD) doesn't show. I swapped the Sky box along to the "Game" input and all fine.

Is this the same thing as this thread is about? HDMI failed?

Could I have accidentally switched off the number one input in the menu? I had a look but couldn't see where I might have?

If it's faulty it's going straight back to shop, who fortunately are nearby and seem to have a good reputation for customer services.

Alex
post #299 of 682 Old 01-03-2013, 04:05 AM

Once again...... please excuse my ignorance! Scrap the above statement, I've just discovered that I did indeed "unassign" the first HDMI port! I've reassigned it as BD/DVD and it's doing what it should now!
I've had a bit of trouble with poweline network adapters and I think that all my swivelling the unit around to access the back must have meant I somehow managed a combination of button presses on the front to unassign the Blu ray!

This might be the wrong thread, but I seem to have a much lower sound level coming from the Sky box? When I play CD's on the Blu ray player they're the loudest for a given volume, followed by Blurays and DVDs, but the Sky box is much lower? I need a volume of say 40 for a good film experience on the sky box, but a CD at that volume is very loud indeed!

Any suggestions?
post #300 of 682 Old 01-03-2013, 01:50 PM

Liked: 15
Replaced my TX-NR607 with a TX-NR616. Occasionally my TiVo Premiere now displays "HDMI connection not permitted. Press SELECT for more information." The only way to correct the issue is to unplug and reconnect HDMI. This has happened both with HDMI pass-thru mode on and off. For now it's off. I'm running 1141-0108-0400. TiVo says update Onkyo Firmware. Onkyo says try component or HDMI direct to TV. Neither option is acceptable. This never happened with my 607.

I've configured Roomie to tell the TiVo to stand by when I shut everything down. Perhaps that forces an HDCP renegotiation each time the system is turned on. Perhaps not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsj83 View Post

What do people recommend as an alternative to the 616?

My plan is to return the 616 to Amazon when my return window closes unless I can solve this. Then I suppose I'll look at a Yamaha RX-V573, Pioneer VSX-1122-K or possibly (as suggested by javygonx above) Denon AVR-1913. They all have AirPlay (which our Onkyos lack), all are reasonably affordable, and all do 3D and 7.1.
sopla2 likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread - Nr515 by PriceGrabber.com