The *Official* Onkyo TX-NR414/515/616 Problems Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do you own an Onkyo TX-TR414/515/616 receiver that is displaying at least one of the following probl
Yes, I can't turn it on with the remote. 25 9.16%
Yes, the HDMI fails. 95 34.80%
Yes, I can't log into Spotify. 8 2.93%
Yes, I can't stream music from my phone. 12 4.40%
Yes, I have another problem not listed (explain below). 47 17.22%
No, I have one of these receivers and have not had a problem with it. 78 28.57%
Another answer not accounted for - explanation below. 9 3.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 663 Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hate to say this, but if it isn't working take it back. You need the device to work as advertised.

Speaking of not working properly, I had my 616 drop the video off of the main output. When the house get to 82 degrees Fahrenheit the receiver drops the video out to an almost black screen but has like a star burst pattern, like it's actually a screen saver. Anyone else notice this? It will immediately switch back if you press the 'cbl/sat' button, but later will go back to the same screen. Also, my receiver says it has a 1151-0108-0400. I have not seen this version anywhere. Any feedback?

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 663 Old 03-27-2013, 04:00 PM

Does anyone experience a problem where the receiver turns itself on? Currently I have a U-verse set op box attached to the receiver and then to a Vizio tv.

CEC is enabled so I can control the volume from the tv. Things seem to work. When I turn the TV off the receiver shuts off too. However, about 60 seconds later it powers back on. I think this is because its still getting a signal from the U-verse box. Is there any solution to this where I can keep the volume control from my TV remote?
post #453 of 663 Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhelias View Post

Did you hit the receiver button - not the yellow power one labeled under receiver, but three buttons down - white oval with black lettering. Then hit the Home button.

Well tried hitting the buttons that you recommended, the receiver and then the Home button and nothing happened. I am connected to my front Projector and Cable and my Blu Ray Player & 3D is the PS3 they are all working as they should be, but cannot get that lousy OSD displayed on my screen.

Question could it be a RIHD???? or ARC issue??? or what is the issue? using the BenQ W1070 Projector.

Sounds are coming out of my 6 speakers and sub-woofer. so how do I set it up to get that lousy OSD hate to do it by hand using the receiver but then how can I use Audyssey????????

Ralph
post #454 of 663 Old 03-28-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Well tried hitting the buttons that you recommended, the receiver and then the Home button and nothing happened. I am connected to my front Projector and Cable and my Blu Ray Player & 3D is the PS3 they are all working as they should be, but cannot get that lousy OSD displayed on my screen.

Question could it be a RIHD???? or ARC issue??? or what is the issue? using the BenQ W1070 Projector.

Sounds are coming out of my 6 speakers and sub-woofer. so how do I set it up to get that lousy OSD hate to do it by hand using the receiver but then how can I use Audyssey????????

I don't know then; i am a new user myself and came here to get help with a problem. I am hoping one of the more expert users will help both of us. Good luck.
post #455 of 663 Old 03-28-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Have had at least 4 prior receivers and never had this problem have been reading the manual up and down and will try it twice more and still have chance to exchange it for another non Onkyo, have contacted Onkyo support and so far haven't heard from them. Yeah good luck to us both..

Ralph
post #456 of 663 Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 PM

I have a handshake problem when using my Canal Digital PVR (SAGEM HD PVR 101-ST) together with my Onkyo 515.

Everything works fine except:
- When I use fast-forward or rewind I lose the picture.
- Picture is also lost when entering some menu options.
Please see video for demonstration:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14044824/onkyo515problem.mp4

I had a 606 before and it worked fine using the same HDMI cables (the ones I have tried are all shorter than 2 meters).

I have tried:
- using the SUB out instead of MAIN, same problem.
- setting different output resolutions on the PVR (576p, 720p, 1080i), same problem.
- setting different outup resolutions on the 515 (Auto, 720p, 1080p, 1080p24), same problem.
- changed HDMI cable from a noname to Supra, same problem.
- changing the HDMI input port on the receiver, same problem.
- changing a lot of the HDMI settings, same problem.
- updating to latest firmware (400), same problem.
- factory reset, same problem.

I have seen forum posts of other onkyo users having the same problem with SAGEM PVRs. Here are the ones I found in a swedish forum using the same SAGEM PVR from Canal Digital:
http://www.minhembio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=295168&st=200&p=3681318entry3681318

http://www.minhembio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=295168&st=400&p=3751384entry3751384

Here is a post on the US forum using a similar PVR box:
http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?t=1550&p=4425

I have been in contact with Onkyo support in Europe and I was impressed by their prompt replies. They also called me up once.
However, they said that nothing is wrong with the Onkyo. They are blaming different HDMI standards and blames the handshake problem on the standards and/or the Sagem box. When I told my Onkyo 606 works fine they again blamed new standards.

Their "solution" was to bypass the receiver and connect the PVR directly to the TV and only connection audio to the receiver. This setup works but then I loose the OSD which was one of the reasons I "upgraded".

Have anyone else experienced these problems and have you found a real solution?
post #457 of 663 Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwilborn View Post

I hate to say this, but if it isn't working take it back. You need the device to work as advertised.

Speaking of not working properly, I had my 616 drop the video off of the main output. When the house get to 82 degrees Fahrenheit the receiver drops the video out to an almost black screen but has like a star burst pattern, like it's actually a screen saver. Anyone else notice this? It will immediately switch back if you press the 'cbl/sat' button, but later will go back to the same screen. Also, my receiver says it has a 1151-0108-0400. I have not seen this version anywhere. Any feedback?

Jack

I do face the same issue with my 616. I just got it last week and everytime after 10-15 minutes, my TV will go blank black. The only resolution is to turn off and unplu for few seconds and retry. However, sometime it works and sometime it just repetitive goes black again after a while. I thought this was resolved. Does anyone face the same issue with the latest firmware update?
post #458 of 663 Old 04-10-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
for owners of the onkyo 616. I was wondering if you are having overscan problems with the video processor on. I use the opening logo from ghost in the shell 2.0. it you only see missing square around the top and left side of the screen then you have an overscanning problem. its only when the video processer is off that you will see it. this is when you are going through the receiver. so I would get it when I had HDMI 2 through my only receiver the 270. I have HDMI 1 going directly to the tv. I was hoping someone could help and take a look.

thanks.

Jacob
post #459 of 663 Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Hi, new to posting here but not a noob by any measure. Purchased 414 2 weeks ago at NewEgg for $179 sweet deal for newly finished basement duty. I upgraded firmware straight away via ethernet cable, no issues whatsoever EXCEPT music streaming via VTuner at bitrates over 32KBPS resulted in music dropping out, poor quality sound, rebuffering constantly thus rendering the web music streaming component completely useless to me. This was a big problem for me because I get about 1/2 of my music via streaming. I found the answer on the UK version of this website but I can't locate it now so I can't link you to it but here is the solution in a nutshell.

Apparently, there can be a handshake issue between the receiver and the router (older but bulletproof wireless Linksys WRT54G, receiver connected to it via ethernet cable in my case). The fix is put a 10/100 ethernet switch between the main router and the receiver and the slow streaming problem will be solved. Apparently the receiver wasn't connecting well to the wireless router directly via CAT5 cable but it handshakes well to the 10/100 switch which then connects (handshakes) well to the wireless linksys WRT54G.

Now I can stream the fastest, highest quality audio (via web) that I can get through VTuner at 320KBPS with no issue at all, no buffering problem.
post #460 of 663 Old 04-11-2013, 09:32 AM

Onkyo has issued a new firmware for the 414 / 515 / 616 receivers since just today (11th April 2013):

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/articles/firmware-update-tx-nr515-11-04-2013-81041.html

It is supposed to improve the operation when HDMI Through is set to on.

I have not yet loaded it onto the receiver, looks like the loading is also recommended for this file via USB only and not via ethernet/internet.
post #461 of 663 Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 PM

To the poster a while ago who said they couldnt get the amp to spot their update on a USB drive.

It sounds like you may have moved the whole folder to the USB drive.

Move the three files and the second folder to the root of the USB drive and it should be detected and give you the option to install from USB on that menu.

That was the case for me. anyway
post #462 of 663 Old 04-11-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

who has the BenQ on this thread besides me and if they have a handshake problem?????

I have the BenQ W1070 and a PS3 slim (and Sky+HD, Xbox 360 and Apple TV)

I just got the amp today to replace a Yamaha RX-V573 which had a handshake issue with my Sky+HD box (screen would go purple- it was a colourspace issue of some sort)

Its early days (I am updating it at the moment via USB) but I did connect the Sky+ Box and Benq briefly and was pleased to see there was no colourspace issue.

What would you like me to check with the PS3?
post #463 of 663 Old 04-13-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goetzi View Post

Onkyo has issued a new firmware for the 414 / 515 / 616 receivers since just today (11th April 2013):

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/articles/firmware-update-tx-nr515-11-04-2013-81041.html

It is supposed to improve the operation when HDMI Through is set to on.

I have not yet loaded it onto the receiver, looks like the loading is also recommended for this file via USB only and not via ethernet/internet.

Hi All, I have successfully updated my 616 to the latest Version, all I did was to D/LOAD the files to my laptop, then drag all three files and the folder to my USB stick, I did NOT put them in any other folders I just dragged them to the USB and then put up the upgrade page on the amp when the amp found the upgrade it said upgrade to the new version I clicked on that JOB DONE.

I don't know if it as improved anything as my amp as been working ok . (Touchwood). UK

Regards Robert. n GOOD LUCK ALL.

Best Regards

Robert.
post #464 of 663 Old 04-14-2013, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHudson View Post

Hi All, I have successfully updated my 616 to the latest Version.

Robert, if you don't mind could you tell me what the firmware version shows when you go into the Home, Firmware (version) display?

Thanks
Gary

See Profile for HW/SW configuration.
post #465 of 663 Old 04-14-2013, 05:14 PM

Just picked-up a NR515 from accessories4less.com. First new A/V receiver in 12-years. First impressions; Fantastic! The setup was a snap, well almost. After reading all of negatives here I was questioning my purchase. First the firmware update (4/13/2013) went very smooth right over the network. Then came the speaker setup. This is where it gets funny/sad. I moved my sub around plugged it in along with all the other speakers for a 5.1 setup and started Audyssey set up. Didn't detect my sub, oh crap here we go as I've seen dozens of threads all other the internet on this problem. After 4 or 5 hours testing fiddling with settings and connections still nothing. Well, I guess we can all have stupid moments; the wall socket I move it to was a switched outlet, turn the wall switch on and viola beautiful deep base. The speaker optimization worked really well as the room balance is almost perfect. Really like the DLNA capability picked up all my music 3-gis worth and plays everything so far.

All stuff working
and talking to each other............
post #466 of 663 Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 53
How did you do the firmware update? Download it from the Onkyo website and then to the 515? I read the instructions and Onkyo directs the use of a USB memory stick to do the update. I got the 515 from the same place, ac4less and it took me a bit longer to do the setup because I have been an Onkyo user for many years and just automatically started the setup like the old one. Once my thinking, changed it was a snap. The Audyssey speaker setup is easy and the result is really the first time my 6.1 system sound like something. Way back when the speaker set was a try this and try that to get it, and I just never quite got it right, one time with the Audyssey and I am in a new world.
post #467 of 663 Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.ds View Post

Robert, if you don't mind could you tell me what the firmware version shows when you go into the Home, Firmware (version) display?

Thanks
Gary

Hi, After pressing the two Blue arrows Onkyo put's up a screen with what ever Version you have, mine is now, (1161-0108-0400), and when you put the USB in the front the amp detects the new update and asked if you want to upgrade, I did and it only took about 4 minuets, hope this helps.

Best Regards

Robert.
post #468 of 663 Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Hi I was curious if the 818 experiences these issues? I know its not listed in the thread title but I have been contemplating picking one up. Thx
post #469 of 663 Old 04-17-2013, 12:43 AM

help with apple tv and onkyo tx nr414 interferance on screen
ok the apple tv 3 worked ok when i had it connected straight to tv via hdmi i had tv resolution set to auto and tried 1080p 60hz all worked well,iv fitted onkyo amp today sky,dvd all work except apple tv i am getting a lot of red flickering lines on tv,the only way to stop them is to set tv resolution in apple tv to 720p hd 60hz, why is this,all worked fine on my old onkyo amp,any help on this thanks.on my 3 yr old previous amp the apple tv worked at 1080p but wont on this new amp,any ideas would be great.
post #470 of 663 Old 04-17-2013, 03:54 AM

ok found if i turn tv on then avr then apple tv it works ok on 1080p,but if i change inputs then change back on avr it displays red lines on screen,i seem to think it is a comptable problem with the apple hdmi output.
post #471 of 663 Old 04-17-2013, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHudson View Post

Hi, After pressing the two Blue arrows Onkyo put's up a screen with what ever Version you have, mine is now, (1161-0108-0400), and when you put the USB in the front the amp detects the new update and asked if you want to upgrade, I did and it only took about 4 minuets, hope this helps.

Thanks Robert, yes it helps and reassures me that mine updated properly.

Gary

See Profile for HW/SW configuration.
post #472 of 663 Old 04-17-2013, 06:22 PM

Looking for some help here. I have the NR 616 and have a 7.1 setup. Which DTS mode should I be using, the DTS EX or the Pro Logic IIx if I'm watching movies that have DTS 5.1?
post #473 of 663 Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.ds View Post

Thanks Robert, yes it helps and reassures me that mine updated properly.

Gary

Off topic, Hi I Hope you and your friends and family are ok following the tragedy that has just happened there.

Best Regards Robert.

Best Regards

Robert.
post #474 of 663 Old 04-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelhic View Post

Looking for some help here. I have the NR 616 and have a 7.1 setup. Which DTS mode should I be using, the DTS EX or the Pro Logic IIx if I'm watching movies that have DTS 5.1?

DTS EX
post #475 of 663 Old 04-20-2013, 04:54 PM

i had a 717 which was great for sound i got tired of re setting
a month ago i bought 515 and did the fix not a great fix
i have 2 other older onkyo s i am so dissapointed with them
i cant understand why such a solid built set would be sold like this. i got a yamaha adventage instead of the 717 all i cann say i hope onkyo fixes the hdmi problem soon
post #476 of 663 Old 04-22-2013, 01:56 AM

Liked: 12
Hi,

Just wanted to see if anyone else is having big problems with the HDMI through feature on TX-NR515? My setup is as follows:

Receiver = TX-NR515 (on latest firmware 1161-0108-0400, 11/4/13) with HDMI RIHD off and HDMI and audio through switched on & monitor out set to Auto
Cable/Sat = Virgin Media V+ HD box (Samsung)
TV = Sharp LC37AD5E

Basically if the receiver is on then it all seems to work ok and had no problems. The problems start when I put the receiver in standby. The HDMI through seems ok at first but if either the Virgin box or TV are put into stand by and switched on again then it completely fails. On the TV it keeps trying to bring the picture up and eventually you get like a coloured white noise picture and no sound. The only way to bring it back is to switch the receiver on and put the Virgin box back in standby and back on again and eventually the picture/sound comes back on the TV.

Without the receiver the TV and Virgin box are working fine when connected directly. I've also tried another TV (Sony KDL-26U2000) and different HDMI leads and still get the problems. I've also tried all the different options with monitor out and picture adjust (through, direct, 720, 1090 etc) and doesn't seem to help either.

The HDMI through feature was a big selling point for me so that I don't have to have the receiver switched on all the time and only when I want to use the projector (via the 2nd HDMI out). I really hoped the firmware update would fix this but doesn't seem to have made any difference at all.

I'll be contacting Onkyo shortly but just wondered if others are having this issue (see something similar on another forum) and whether there are any work a rounds to get this working?

Thanks.
post #477 of 663 Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 PM

I got my brand new TX-NR515. So far loving it, except for the issue with CEC i.e. RIHD.

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-46NX810 TV connected using the Main output from the receiver to the ARC input on the TV. I could not get the ARC working no matter what I tried. But that is not my major problem I am worried about since I hardly use the TV tuner or apps in the TV.

It is the CEC functions which are a pain. The RIHD on the receiver does not detect the TV on power up. The TV always tries to switch to the TV speakers as soon as it does not find the receiver.

To get the RIHD working again, I need to go into Home -> Setup -> Hardware Setup -> HDMI -> RIHD - Turn it off, Return all the way back out of the Home screen. Then repeat the same steps again, turn RIHD back on, then the receiver starts to search for the TV and detects it.

And sometimes in the middle of watching TV, TV and the receiver lose the RIHD sync, and TV switches to the TV speakers, while the receiver still uses the connected speakers.

One way I can work around this is, is to turn off RIHD completely, turn off audio over HDMI output. But I cannot use the TV remote anymore to control the audio and also any other CEC functions.

Any one know any solutions or at least direct remote key shortcuts to achieve the same steps I described above without entering into the menus ?
post #478 of 663 Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

The pass through works for me but some how I had missed the box on page 63 of the manual the states,

After changing the settings of the “HDMI Control(RIHD)”, “HDMI Through” or “Audio Return Channel”, turn off the power on all connected pieces of equipment and then turn them on again. Refer to the user’s manuals for all connected pieces of equipment.

After doing so it works fine. One other thing I found, I have a one switch reset for all the AV and coumputer and network stuff in the house, need to do a reset. Afterword had to go through the AVR's setup on the pass through. Power off is the on off button of the AVR, so don't unplug if you dan help it.
post #479 of 663 Old 04-24-2013, 01:26 AM

Liked: 12
Hi.

Yes seemed to have missed that as well! Will give it a try to see if it helps. When it says switch off devices does it mean both TV and any cable/sat boxes? Also do you perform this when the receiver is in the setup menu or after you've exited the setup menu?
Another weird thing I've noticed is that with HDMI through switched on when I put the receiver in stand by the picture/sound goes blank. It only seems to stay on when the Audio Out enabled as well. Also when the HDMI through is enabled it seem to cause TV to stop working, like it won't come out of stand by unless you disconnect the HDMI cable to the TV. All very strange...

Thanks.
post #480 of 663 Old 04-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

I did an on/off cycle on everything satellite dvr, blu-ray, tv and avr. I have audio out on, that is how the tv gets it from the avr, so the avr and the speakers can be left off. Make sure you have hdmi plugged into main out and not sub out, and one more thing, the speakers terminals are just under the hami ports and make sure there is nothing touching I am running 2 3d sets with this thing and before I got the new onkyo I had an older non hdmi one and run all the video through a 3 way switch and then into an splitter, I left the splitter in the system with the new avr, and then one day I tried going from avr to each tv with out the splitter in system. then it got strange, no problems with 2d but 3d with one set there were measeges saying the set did not support the resolution, turn both sets on it worked like it was meant to, 3d. put the splitter back in and all is well.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread - Nr515 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page