The *Official* Onkyo TX-NR414/515/616 Problems Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do you own an Onkyo TX-TR414/515/616 receiver that is displaying at least one of the following probl
Yes, I can't turn it on with the remote. 25 9.33%
Yes, the HDMI fails. 94 35.07%
Yes, I can't log into Spotify. 8 2.99%
Yes, I can't stream music from my phone. 12 4.48%
Yes, I have another problem not listed (explain below). 46 17.16%
No, I have one of these receivers and have not had a problem with it. 75 27.99%
Another answer not accounted for - explanation below. 9 3.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 661 Old 07-02-2013, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After you download the firmware replacement file, unzip it and copy the following files to the USB's ROOT directory:

AVR000D_Release
ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of1
ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of2
ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of3

No other files should be in the ROOT directory of the USB used for the update. The is a File Folder, BTW

BTW, after prolonged agony with my 616's on-off HDMI video problems, the video finally went out for good and I ended up downloading and installing the update.

Didn't make a difference. Video out for good via HDMI. Audio OK otherwise.

Ended up shipping it to Lincoln Park NJ, Onkyo's authorized repair center nearest to me in Florida, where I live. Cost me $50 s/h via UPS but Onkyo will pay return s/h costs once the repair (hopefully) is done.

Next time I have an HDMI-video problem, I'll forgo the $50 and get a different brand a/v rcvr.

--------------------------
I'm one of the few people that shouldn't be allowed to die...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 661 Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
but you are saying that if we follow your steps as listed above, we shouldn't have the problems you encountered? Sorry about your troubles, and thanks for the tips!
Todd

NR515
post #543 of 661 Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM

I need help!

okay, so I have a TX-NR414 and I got it fairly recently, I am experiencing some weird issues, I press the standby button to turn on the unit, but the unit stays on for like 1-2 seconds and turns right off.. I have to press it multiple times before it turns on and stays on. I then begin watching a movie, and everything is working just fine for awhile then all of a suddent the entire unit just shuts off... any suggestions would be helpful, I have already updated the firmware, I could be having a speaker wire short, but need to know if anyone else has experienced this issue.

thanks
post #544 of 661 Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 PM

Liked: 16
I have a problem with my Onkyo. The sound quality is very poor and makes my speakers sound like tv speakers. No soundstage or dynamics but I can hear everything.

I turned on "Audio TV out" I got a message saying "AMP Speakers" then everything sounded like $2000 speakers instead of cheap $5 dollar ones. I also witnessed my drivers move and vibrate for the first time. For a short time I was listening at volumes of 20 and it sounded 10x better (bass, voices, tweeter dynamics) as opposed to volumes of 50-60 and horrible.

The problem is that now no many how many times I mess with the setting it sounds terrible. I also no longer get any clicking noises from my Onkyo 509 turning the amps on or off. Are the amps broken or is there some hidden setting.
post #545 of 661 Old 07-04-2013, 08:53 AM

Pookeye - I'd call Onyko support on this one.
post #546 of 661 Old 07-05-2013, 07:31 PM

IM NOT MESSING WITH THIS THING IM SENDING IT BACK.!!!!

dang im so mad!

i got the 616 and when i turn the system off and back on i get no sound from my HTPC hdmi source from the evga gtx 660ti. I can run the hdmi from the pc to the tv then optical from the tv to the reciever and the sound is amazing. but when i watch a DTS movie i get no sound.

if i run optical out from the back of my asus motherboard. i get all digital sound from XBMC but no youtube sound. or analog. hence why i tried to passthrough the optical from the pc to the tv out to the reciever.

when you unplug the hdmi from the back and plug it back in you get sound from the pc but you have have to do that each time the reciever turns off.

you might be able to fix this with a hdmi switch and a harmony remote to do the unplugging for you but whats the point.

i wish my tv had a hdmi out to fix this BRAND NEW CRIPPLED RECIEVER. of course analog out works ALL THE TIME. headphone plug for the win!

newegg will take it back im sure. still within 30 days!
post #547 of 661 Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 AM

HI,
if i connect an USB drive with video files the 414 deos not find the video files on the USB (it only seem to find audio files)..

What could e the problem?

Regards.
post #548 of 661 Old 07-07-2013, 04:45 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
Nothing. USB is audio only.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #549 of 661 Old 07-08-2013, 04:27 PM

I just purchased the NR616 because it's only $350 and has everything I need. So far it's working fine. I ran the usb firmware update before plugging in anything else. Fingers crossed!
post #550 of 661 Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 AM

Liked: 11
Hii everyone,

I got my receiver (NR616) back today after the mainboard had some kind of malfunction (probably heat related?). Now I'm asking myself the question how I can best reduce the heat problem?

Is there a difference between standby and turning the receiver off? When I'm done watching a movie I usually press the orange button (named receiver) on the top left corner of the remote. After doing so, is the receiver in standby or shut off? What's the difference?

And I have a second question:

Before sending in my TN616 I wrote down all the settings I had for the speakers (Hz, dB, etc.). I never used Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

Now after getting it back I recallibrated the speakers with the microphone and got different numbers (Hz, dB, etc.). Additionally during initial setup, I decided to activate Audyssey Dynamic EQ. HOWEVER I now went back and changed the speaker settings to the old numbers (Hz, dB) that I had before sending in the receiver. Is the Dynamic EQ now out of sync because I changed the settings after calibration or is Dynamic EQ independent of the calibration process?
post #551 of 661 Old 07-09-2013, 07:42 AM

I have an Onkyo TX NR-414. The only problem I really have on it is Spotify. I use the Android remote app to log into Spotify and choose an artist. But half the time when I do a search and click "select artists" it just freezes. This doesn't always happen, but it happens enough to make using Spotify a dicey proposition. Anyone else have this problem?
post #552 of 661 Old 07-14-2013, 03:15 AM

So I have lost the ability to get any DTS, no Dolby Tru HD, Dolby Plus, DTS-Master, or DTS-HD when the stereo manual I have clearly lists those as possible formats. and the light is on, but as soon as I plug in my HTPC, I lose the light. No matter the order I turn things on, plug things in, it goes. I used to be able to play my PC with DTS. but no longer. The only new things I have done recently are use Zone 2 fir the first time. and I understand that will bring you down to 5.1, but it says nothing about losing DTS. Now whether I have Zone 2 on or if it is off, and yes, I know how to turn it off so that the little Z2 light is off, And I used the bluetooth dongle successfully for the first time. I plugged it in the rear initially before I read that it has to tbe in the front. I also upgraded to Windows 8 Pro with Media Pack.

I have done the reset to defaults a couple of times, and I have the latest firmware on it by way of USB. The Onkyo website know says that:

"Onkyo AV receivers from the TXSR 605 and up can decode the Dolby Tru HD, Dolby Plus, DTS-Master, and DTS-HD bitstream audio data. "http://us.onkyo.com/Support/faq.php?source=globalnav"
colo1 likes this.
post #553 of 661 Old 07-14-2013, 03:49 PM

onkyo in tout of i'[m calling Well forget it. Right after I posted this, there was an audible pop and a spark and now it won't power up completely. The display will turn on but it will not do the second power click where your speakers come on, it turns itself off. It was a refurbished and only had a 3-day return but does have a 1 year warranty. I guess I'm calling Onkyo tomorrow.
post #554 of 661 Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 PM

Just got a TX-NR616 and I cant seem to get component or composite video to work at all. Ive tried varios inputs and nothing. any ideas? audio comes in just fine, just no video.
post #555 of 661 Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbigeasy View Post

but you are saying that if we follow your steps as listed above, we shouldn't have the problems you encountered? Sorry about your troubles, and thanks for the tips!
Todd

NR515

This is the Onkyo official solution to the HDMI handshake problems. Onkyo claims this update is designed to fix the HDMI audio dropout or failed handshake. They say it works. I tried it as suggested, the update went through correctly, but...in my case, it didn't help. No doubt others may have found it worked for them. It just didn't work with my 616, so I sent it to be repaired.

All one can do is try it since it costs nothing, whereas S&H for sending units under warranty to the nearest Onkyo service center to be serviced costs around $50.

post #556 of 661 Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosete View Post

All one can do is try it since it costs nothing, whereas S&H for sending units under warranty to the nearest Onkyo service center to be serviced costs around $50.

Honestly one of the reasons I took a chance on the 616 having all of its issues corrected as a 2013 buyer is because the nearest service center is on my way to work. The next closest is several states away. I have one component connected, old school, dvd player connected and there was no fuss with setting it up. Have you tried a hard or soft reboot? I thought them to be hokey until I figured out a soft reboot amazingly works but I've never needed a hard reboot.
post #557 of 661 Old 07-24-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkust View Post

Honestly one of the reasons I took a chance on the 616 having all of its issues corrected as a 2013 buyer is because the nearest service center is on my way to work. The next closest is several states away. I have one component connected, old school, dvd player connected and there was no fuss with setting it up. Have you tried a hard or soft reboot? I thought them to be hokey until I figured out a soft reboot amazingly works but I've never needed a hard reboot.

I have tried every recommendation found online, several times over, including turning my water heater off for 5 minutes before turning on my receiver, forcing my 2 dogs to sleep in separate rooms, not feeding wife for 3 hrs after her bath, etc. Nothing helped. It's on its way back, allegedly "fixed." We'll see..(they do repair and ship back for free, as at 3 months old, it's still under warranty). If it still does it, I have no clue which mfgr I'll try next.

post #558 of 661 Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosete View Post

I have tried every recommendation found online, several times over, including turning my water heater off for 5 minutes before turning on my receiver, forcing my 2 dogs to sleep in separate rooms, not feeding wife for 3 hrs after her bath, etc. Nothing helped. It's on its way back, allegedly "fixed." We'll see..(they do repair and ship back for free, as at 3 months old, it's still under warranty). If it still does it, I have no clue which mfgr I'll try next.

That's a bummer. I've read what seems just about every form of user error on these things given the complexity and sheer number of settings. Sounds like for you got one of the bad ones. The bummer is when you get one that works as intended, it's a great unit when you don't you would have gladly went back in time and bought something more expensive with the same features.
post #559 of 661 Old 07-25-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkust View Post

The bummer is when you get one that works as intended, it's a great unit when you don't you would have gladly went back in time and bought something more expensive with the same features.

Actually, I have been looking around for other brands since I encountered this problem but I'm finding other brands, regardless of price, are not immune to some such related issue that would keep me annoyed and cursing the day I changed to that other brand (again!). As a matter of fact, I'd feel better spending $300-$500 and having these problems than spending $1,600 to $2,000 and still having to send them off for repair due to similar issues. I suspect the problems are universal, across all brands and price levels, due to the amount of electronics needed to run the stuff added to these units and their (sometimes) resulting inability to operate cleanly and without faults.

post #560 of 661 Old 07-25-2013, 11:18 AM

Agreed and don't forget Onkyo has the lions share of the AVR market and you are going to hear a lot more noise when there is a problem.
post #561 of 661 Old 07-28-2013, 01:54 PM

Hi,

I need help please!

I have a TX-NR616 and my zone 2 is no longer working. I have 5.1 set up in my living room and my zone 2 is for my kitchen. It used to work but now it doesn't...

Under speaker set up I have Zone 2 powered on and I have tried a factory restore of the receiver but no luck.I am trying to play analogue sources.

Thanks
post #562 of 661 Old 07-30-2013, 06:54 PM

post #563 of 661 Old 08-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Is the 616's inability to handle 480p or higher up conversion over component a big deal?

It concerns me, I actually cancelled a recent order after finding out, that I can't tell my Wii to output 480p to this receiver. I still use my Wii quite alot.
Is this a big deal?

Are there alternative receivers which do handle 480p and greater over component and output to HDMI at a similar price/feature set?
post #564 of 661 Old 08-06-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieAntoinette View Post

Is the 616's inability to handle 480p or higher up conversion over component a big deal?

It concerns me, I actually cancelled a recent order after finding out, that I can't tell my Wii to output 480p to this receiver. I still use my Wii quite alot.
Is this a big deal?

Are there alternative receivers which do handle 480p and greater over component and output to HDMI at a similar price/feature set?

It hasn't been an issue for me. It up converts my old school dvd player to hd but given I'm an adult, I don't play video games so it isn't a big deal for me. My kids play them but they are all in the other tv room so I don't have to see or hear them. There is a monoprice unit that will deal with the WII situation. Each AVR has pros and cons at every price point and there are some that will indeed handle the WII situation but will have fewer features elsewhere. The 616 happens to have all of the bells and whistles I appreciate and none of the ones I've missed so far.
post #565 of 661 Old 08-06-2013, 03:04 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieAntoinette View Post

Is this a big deal?

Less and less of the newer Receivers appear to be built with the ability to handle 480p and greater component to HDMI abilty. For example the Yamaha 671 can but the Yamaha 673 and 675 can't handle 480p and greater. The Denon 1913 can but the most recent E400 cannot.

In the specs they all say "can handle upconversion" but they don't state the resolutions. For that you have to download the Manual.

If you have only the Wii, then I would connect directly to the TV through the components. The TV can do a far better job of up converting than any budget receiver, unless you go real high end. If you have more than one components some Receivers have two ins and one out.
post #566 of 661 Old 08-07-2013, 07:57 AM

When I was AVR shopping, most of the receivers will have the upconversion chart right in their description such as on Amazon or Newegg and you can see exactly what they are capable of if you don't want to open each manual. I will say that when I got down to the few AVR's on the short list, the 616 was half the price of the next closest and so did end up really going over the pdf manual before deciding that it really wasn't a dream that a 329$ avr can do so much.
post #567 of 661 Old 08-07-2013, 11:01 AM

Excellent replies. Thanks.
post #568 of 661 Old 08-10-2013, 10:29 PM

Well, I just ordered a 616 yesterday. It looks like exactly what I wanted. I have not even received it yet, but I am afraid I am starting to regret ordering it already. I spent the best part of a day reading about all the problems with HDMI and such but assumed that it is likely to be solved by all the firmware updates, there are enough of them!

What really bothers me at this point is that, after reading the almost illegible PDF file that comes with the most current firmware update (400), I see a notice which reads as follows:

"Notice: Limitation of when using UWF-1
1. Only 64k and less sampling rate is supported.
2. Dolby True HD and DSD is not supported.
3. Using rear USB port is not supported."

Two of those three points really tick me off. If you look through the list of available stations on vTuner (http://vtuner.com/setupapp/guide/asp/BrowseStations/startpage.asp) you will see that at least half of them are over 64k. I looked at that list and was overjoyed that there were so many, many stations. But now I find that more than half can not be accessed?!? How could they possibly design a unit specifically to access internet radio and then restrict it to 64k?

And I had specifically planned on using that rear port for the WiFi adapter! I have seen photos from folks who did use the rear port for a WiFi adapter. I have read of people doing just that. They did not report any problem with it. Perhaps they had not yet installed the latest firmware level. Does anyone have 400 installed and still use the rear USB port for WiFi successfully? The front port should be kept available for portable devices!

And does this thing settle down after the 400 level update? Mine has not been shipped yet. I might be able to stop it.

Regards,
Gord
post #569 of 661 Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 PM

Regarding my last post, that notice I ran into was on a separate page from the rest of the update it was part of (10 October 2012) in the PDF included with the update. But it still seems to say some VERY unhappy things about use of the WiFi adapter. The notice, in context, from their website, was as follows.

■ Dolby True HD (.vr/.mlp/.VR/.MLP)

Sampling rates of 48 kHz, 64 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz are supported.

※Playing Dolby True HD files at rear USB port is not supported.

※Notice; Limitation of when using UWF-1

1. Only 64 kHz and less sampling rate is supported;

2. Dolby TrueHD and DSD is not supported;

3. Using at rear USB port is not supported;

So you can not play Dolby True HD or DSD at all through the WiFi adapter. I don't care much about that. But you can't use the WiFi adapter in the rear usb port at all. That burns me. And even in the front port you can only play stations that broadcast at 64k or less sampling rate. That is simply unacceptable. Please, someone tell me I am missing something. I can play any sampling rate I like on my computer which has a WiFi only connection to the internet and shows around 10 Mbps download speed (limited by my internet supplier). Other WiFi adapters that use the same chipset as the UWF-1 (http://www.tp-link.com/ca/products/details/?model=TL-WN722N) claim 150Mbps capability. So why are sampling rates above 64k not supported? And why not at the rear port?

Regards,
Gord
post #570 of 661 Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post

Regarding my last post, that notice I ran into was on a separate page from the rest of the update it was part of (10 October 2012) in the PDF included with the update. But it still seems to say some VERY unhappy things about use of the WiFi adapter. The notice, in context, from their website, was as follows.

■ Dolby True HD (.vr/.mlp/.VR/.MLP)

Sampling rates of 48 kHz, 64 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz are supported.

※Playing Dolby True HD files at rear USB port is not supported.

※Notice; Limitation of when using UWF-1

1. Only 64 kHz and less sampling rate is supported;

2. Dolby TrueHD and DSD is not supported;

3. Using at rear USB port is not supported;

So you can not play Dolby True HD or DSD at all through the WiFi adapter. I don't care much about that. But you can't use the WiFi adapter in the rear usb port at all. That burns me. And even in the front port you can only play stations that broadcast at 64k or less sampling rate. That is simply unacceptable. Please, someone tell me I am missing something. I can play any sampling rate I like on my computer which has a WiFi only connection to the internet and shows around 10 Mbps download speed (limited by my internet supplier). Other WiFi adapters that use the same chipset as the UWF-1 (http://www.tp-link.com/ca/products/details/?model=TL-WN722N) claim 150Mbps capability. So why are sampling rates above 64k not supported? And why not at the rear port?

Regards,
Gord

Right, so my rear usb port on my 616 does everything you are thinking it doesn't do. You simply have to assign the rear usb to the UWF-1.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page