AVS Forum banner

Do you own an Onkyo TX-TR414/515/616 receiver that is displaying at least one of the following probl

• Yes, I can't turn it on with the remote.

Votes: 29 9.4%
  • Yes, the HDMI fails.

Votes: 127 41.4%
  • Yes, I can't log into Spotify.

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • Yes, I can't stream music from my phone.

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Yes, I have another problem not listed (explain below).

Votes: 68 22.1%
  • No, I have one of these receivers and have not had a problem with it.

Votes: 90 29.3%
  • Another answer not accounted for - explanation below.

Votes: 12 3.9%

The *Official* Onkyo TX-NR414/515/616 Problems Thread

397K views 764 replies 335 participants last post by  rmjb 
#1 ·
It seems a number of people are experiencing problems with the new 2012 receivers from Onkyo. In the last week, two firmware updates have been made available - the first being quickly withdrawn as a failure and the second being unable to be installed if you tried the first one and unsuccessful if you did manage to perform the upgrade!

I have a TX-NR616, which I bought two weeks ago and I'm about to return it. Not just because of the issues (outlined below), but because of the complete lack of interest shown by Onkyo in fixing the issues! As you will see, we're not talking about obscure problems, but basic operations like HDMI out and even turning the box on with the remote!

These are the main problems I've found so far...

1. Unit will not turn on with remote unless in Network Standby mode.

2. HDMI fails on starting up and the unit has to be re-initialized or reset to operate.

3. Spotify fails to log in even when the user name and password are confirmed correct.

4. Music will not stream over DLNA 1.5 using an Android phone.

If you have experienced any of these issues or, indeed, anything not mentioned, let us know here. At least we'll be performing a public service and steering people away from a potentially bad situation!

See less See more
#502 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan81  /t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread/480#post_23360046

Are you unknowingly using the D-T listening mode? If I use that in my stereo setup is sounds exactly as you describe, I use the direct or stereo mode and they both work perfectly fine with down-mixing in my setup.
I don't think so. I have all types of input set to "Stereo", except stereo inputs which are set to "Direct. Can't see any "D-T" symbol on the receiver's screen either.

#503 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ  /t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread/480#post_23360063

I don't think so. I have all types of input set to "Stereo", except stereo inputs which are set to "Direct. Can't see any "D-T" symbol on the receiver's screen either.

Already kinda thought so, but never hurts to ask, it sometimes can be this simple, too bad it is not in your case.

#504 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontgd  /t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread/480#post_23358410

I just purchased my TX-NR616 to add 5.1 stereo functionality. Like most of you, I got mine at a steep discount. My TV is 9 years old and does not have HDMI. I won't be replacing that until next Christmas. I can't get the onscreen menus to work using the RCA plugs going into my TV. Reading the manual they say that onscreen set up only works with HDMI out. The setup simply isn't working for me at all. Does anyone have any ideas how I can side-step this and get my installation to work with onscreen menus without HDMI?

I actually read the manual before I bought my 616 or at least the parts that I wasn't sure of when I narrowed down the choices from the much more expensive AVR's I was also considering. TV's are a dime a dozen...go splurge and get yourself into the 2013's.

#505 ·
Hi,

I searched the Internet but it seams that no one else reported the problem with Spotify I have experienced on TX-NR515.

Basically the problem is that the receiver freezes when you try to search for "Florence And The Machine" albums.

If you are using Spotify with Onkyo receiver could you confirm that your receiver also freezes when you follow this procedure:

1. Play any song on spotify

2. While the song is playing, seach for "Florence and the machine"

3. Select "Search Artists (3)"

4. Select "Florence + The Machine" (first position).

Please let me know whether the problem exist on your receiver.

At this point the receiver freezes and you need to turn it off and on to recover.

The same result can be achieved by searching directly for "Florence + The Machine", so it looks to me like the spotify search is vulnerable to "+" character, since other searches works fine.

I reported it to the Onkyo support but they weren't able to recreate the problem on their receiver. You can see more details on Onkyo Europe Forum: http://forum.eu.onkyo.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14

Thanks,

Witek.

#506 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85  /t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread/60#post_22281065

Just set up a 414 and so far everything is working fine except one annoyance:

I can't add any vtuner stations to My Favorites. When playing a station, I go to the menu, select "Add to My Favorites", then select "OK" on the next screen. But, when I go to My Favorites folder, it's empty. I had gone through and added about a dozen stations, only to discover none of them were actually added to My Favorites.

Anyone else having this issue and know how to fix it?

n00b here. New 515 unit and just ran into this same problem. Curious if this ever got resolved.

#508 ·
Hi,

I've been dealing with an ongoing issue with my 515 for months now(pretty much since I bought it). Typically if my receiver has been off for a while, when I turn it on I am prompted with a message stating "Unsupported Video Signal" on my television. I've updated to the latest firmware and still am experiencing this issue. I also almost always get an issue where I have no audio being delivered to my speakers until I press either volume up or volume down on my onkyo remote. When doing this, I also hear a "click" sound as if something has just turned on.

By far, the more annoying of the two issues is the "Unsupported Video Signal" when powering on. Sometimes this message will appear and after a moment (about 5-10 seconds), and then the video is delivered without any issues. Other times, I've had to completely unplug my receiver for a few seconds. For some reason, doing this always fixes the issue. I have searched around the Onkyo forums and this problem appears to be fairly widespread. I've tried a few things I read such as disabling "DEEP COLOR" on the onkyo receiver. I've done this and still get the same problem.

Just a quick bio about my setup. I have a Verizon fios box running to the receiver via HDMI and the receiver outputting the audio to a 5.1 setup and the video signal to my Toshiba LCD via HDMI. I've also sporadically experienced a dropped HDMI signal altogether during use - although this is very rare compared to the other issues. Does anyone have any recommendations? Its almost to the point where I regret making this purchase.

#510 ·
Hi all, I have a question.

Is anyone else's 616 DOING the same as mine, I have just noticed that the orange light near the volume control is no longer lit up (HDMI Control RHD) HDMI Through.

Instead on the front display I have HDMI Z2 Lit up, but it all works ok.

I think I have Zone 2 activated, anyone know HOW to Deactivate Zone 2 on the amp PLEASE, as I can't figurer out the Manual Most of the time or find what I want, i.e. I plug in my pc I get sound but know pic using HDMI ?.

Thanks'

Robert (UK)

#511 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHudson  /t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread/480#post_23392740

Is anyone else's 616 DOING the same as mine, I have just noticed that the orange light near the volume control is no longer lit up (HDMI Control RHD) HDMI Through.

I think I have Zone 2 activated, anyone know HOW to Deactivate Zone 2 on the amp PLEASE, as I can't figurer out the Manual Most of the time or find what I want, i.e. I plug in my pc I get sound but know pic using HDMI ?.

Thanks'

Robert (UK)

Page 71 of the TX-NR616 manual I downloaded has the instructions for Zone 2. You can turn off Zone 2 with the remote by pressing the Zone 2 button then pressing the yellow Receiver Power button.. I don't have your model, but the same method worked with my TX-NR515.

#512 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHudson  /t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread/480#post_23392740

Thanks'

Robert (UK)

If you don't ever intend to use powered zone 2, I would also make sure that in the set up menue that the power is also turned off. For some crazy reason my bi-amp was turned on at one point on my 616.

Also you can just shut off zone 2 on the phone app as well as shutting off zone 2 on the front of the unit. Since it is both unpowered and powered you are doing these things for different reasons if you for example use unpowered zone 2 with an amp and pre outs.

I haven't had the orange light issue.

#513 ·
I have found another Spotify query that freezes TX-NR515:

1. Search for "Celine Dion"

2. Select "Search Artists"

3. Select "Céline Dion"

At this point my receiver freeze instead of show Celine Dion albums and I need to turn it off and on.

Please try that Spotify search on your receiver and let me know if you encountered the same problem.

Regards,

Witek

#514 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsowa  /t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread/480#post_23394522

I have found another Spotify query that freezes TX-NR515:

1. Search for "Celine Dion"

2. Select "Search Artists"

3. Select "Céline Dion"

At this point my receiver freeze instead of show Celine Dion albums and I need to turn it off and on.

Please try that Spotify search on your receiver and let me know if you encountered the same problem.

Regards,

Witek

I think that a search for Celine Dion freezes it by design.

#515 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkust  /t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread/480#post_23395294

I think that a search for Celine Dion freezes it by design.

I've just read that someone had the same problem with "Flo rida". Checkd on youtube -- this really might be a "freeze on lame queries" feature.

So it's not a bug. It's a feature. At least in case of Celine Dion and Flo Rida.

But what about Florence and the machine?!

jkust, are you a Spotify user? Can you confirm that you have similar problem on your receiver?

#516 ·

Quote:

Thanks'

Robert (UK)

Hi Thank You for your help, I have now fixed the problem and the orange light is back on!!!.

#517 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsowa  /t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread/510#post_23395580

I've just read that someone had the same problem with "Flo rida". Checkd on youtube -- this really might be a "freeze on lame queries" feature.

So it's not a bug. It's a feature. At least in case of Celine Dion and Flo Rida.

But what about Florence and the machine?!

jkust, are you a Spotify user? Can you confirm that you have similar problem on your receiver?

You know I have spent so much time wiring the different zones and cutting holes, I haven't had time to use anything but Pandora and DLNA. Going HTIB with no custom wiring to a completely hidden system on two levels (of a 6000 square foot house) with in wall and in ceiling speakers, volume control knobs plus cat5 wiring is taking a lot of my at home time. When I get some time I plan to sign up for each of the free services. Going to be a while I'm thinking but I can't wait to set them all up.

#519 ·
Dear all ,

I dont know if this problem happened on someone else's unit .

let me explain my setup

I have Panasonic 50" LED on my TX-NR515 Main HDMI OUT , and PopCorn Hour A300 on DVD/BD Input with HDMI .

I can watch Movie with receiver DVD/BD source. But the problem i can see the onkyo menu on my TV .

So i can using their internet service like Spotify.

i dont what happen with this receiver , did push wrong button on my remote ? this situation is beginning on today , yesterday seem normal to me.

FYI : I'm already using the latest firmware and already plug off the chord and nothing happen , i still cant see the menu.

any comment will appreciated.

Tq

#522 ·
I just turn CEC on both the TV and the receiver. When you press the power button on with the tv remote, it turns on the AVR. Plus then the TV remote will also control some of the AVR functions even though it isn't even a universal remote. Also when you turn on the DVD player it will turn on the avr as well.I think but need to get back to you on that. I believe I have standby mode turned off which is for the ability to still use the tv speakers when you don't want the sound to come through the avr which I never would need.

#523 ·
Hi all,

I've been debating if this is the right place to put this or in the general 616 discussion thread, but I'm looking to purchase a *refurbished* TX-NR616 to replace my old TX-SR601 so I can actually have some HDMI inputs on my AVR and I was wondering if the general consensus was Onkyo's finally worked out most of the issues with the 616 or am I better off going elsewhere?

There's a sale going on and I figure for ~$250 with a three year warranty (extended) plus add on warranty from Discover, it's worth rolling the dice. But, there's still a part of me that feels like I don't need the aggravation if issues are still rampant with this model.

Thanks,

RDW3

#524 ·
Hi all,

I bought a TX-NR414 couple days ago and now I'm testing it with my Comcast cable and Bluray player. I'm worried about a picture quality from Comcast. Connection is just using HDMI. I noticed that the quality is not the same using Onkyo, only on some specific pictures. Thus, mostly (I would say only) during commercials, sometimes at the bottom of TV there is some text (informing about something, let's say in drugs commercials). Using Onkyo I noticed that these texts sometimes are 'vibrating'. I would say, it looks strange, it looks like it's a problem respecting refreshing of picture or something. I also noticed (but very rarely) this loss when I'm using a directly connection between comcast and TV, but for me it seems that it is not so visible like with Onkyo.

I haven't changed any options yet in Onkyo. I don't know if this is a normal behavior or maybe something is wrong. Does any have similar experience or had this before?

Thanks for any help!

#525 ·
My experience written in the previous post was based on nickelodeon channel. After switching to USA HD, when I come close to TV I think USAHD logo is squinting. On nickelodeon, the problem has been able to observe on bright backgrounds and animated commercials. Should I be worried about this?

Thanks again for help!

#526 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW3  /t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread/510#post_23417546

Hi all,

I've been debating if this is the right place to put this or in the general 616 discussion thread, but I'm looking to purchase a *refurbished* TX-NR616 to replace my old TX-SR601 so I can actually have some HDMI inputs on my AVR and I was wondering if the general consensus was Onkyo's finally worked out most of the issues with the 616 or am I better off going elsewhere?

There's a sale going on and I figure for ~$250 with a three year warranty (extended) plus add on warranty from Discover, it's worth rolling the dice. But, there's still a part of me that feels like I don't need the aggravation if issues are still rampant with this model.

Thanks,

RDW3

I bought my 616 last month and have been using it every day including as a whole house audio source. It has been absolutely perfect in every way. Every function has worked exactly as intended so far. I don't know what else to say. Other than a better Audyssey, to me this is just a no brainer and I'll gladly give up Multieq for the features the 616 has. Do a side by side with any other much more expensive receiver and I'd buy this over and over. I still can't comprehend how good of a deal these things are. When I bought mine in May it was one firmware updated behind and so before I did anything at all or plugged any cables into it I installed the firmware via a usb. All I can surmise is that the issues on my particular unit have been solved. In the back of my mind however, I realized that of the three total authorized warranty repair shops in a 5 state radius, one of them is literally on my way to work. I almost feel bad for people who got a bad one or have passed it by due to bad reviews. Also keep in mind that Onkyo has a 40% market share of the AVR market while the others have tiny fractions of the market. You are simply going to hear a lot more noise when the dominant player has some issues. I am having a hard time finding one thing that I'm dissatisfied with with this AVR. It is simply worth more than the street price indicates. Of course the 626 is out now and that added a few minute things plus added better audyssey, but also took a bunch of things off that the 616 had. All that said, I'd be pissed If I had gotten a bad one or bought earlier before the issue were ironed out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.