The *Official* Onkyo TX-NR414/515/616 Problems Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do you own an Onkyo TX-TR414/515/616 receiver that is displaying at least one of the following probl
Yes, I can't turn it on with the remote. 25 9.09%
Yes, the HDMI fails. 96 34.91%
Yes, I can't log into Spotify. 8 2.91%
Yes, I can't stream music from my phone. 12 4.36%
Yes, I have another problem not listed (explain below). 48 17.45%
No, I have one of these receivers and have not had a problem with it. 78 28.36%
Another answer not accounted for - explanation below. 9 3.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 667 Old 12-16-2013, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by triangledave View Post

Found this thread after ordering a TX-NR616 from Amazon, doh!  I Had an older 700 series (pre-HDMI) that worked flawlessly for 6-8 years.  I needed to update to a receiver with HDMI and have always like Onkyo, so I went with a 616.  Set up was fine and everything worked for about two weeks.  Then my ethernet port basically stopped working.  Since it was still in the return window, Amazon suggested a firmware update, however, I could never get a USB drive to be recognized by the receiver.  I tried three different working thumb drives loaded only with the firmware per instructions with no success.  

Amazon then sent me a replacement and the ethernet and USB was non-functioning on that unit as well.  I ended up sending that receiver back and getting a Yamaha V673 instead (plus I added the 3yr warranty this time).  Set up was quick and easy.  I plugged the ethernet in to the Yamaha using same cable and same mini-switch port and had online access right away.  So far, so good.

Another benefit is that the Yamaha has built in airplay, so I'm sending back my Apple TV that I got specifically for audio streaming to the receiver.

The IOS remotes between both receivers are similar and the price point is similar.  I am bummed about the Onkyo, but I don't think I'll be getting another.  Too bad, I've always preferred the brand, but it really sounds like they've produced a lemon with this series.

Bummer story...still using my 616 every day since may 2013 for mid level home theatre system and simultaneously whole house audio. Funny, I'm shopping for a four wheeler for the lake house and the biggest selling/most popular/biggest value brand is just like Onkyo. Some get a good one and it works as intended and the value is realized and others are getting a lot of nickel and diming. Sometimes it is just a crap shoot. The other brands of four wheelers are substantially more money class for class for less features, less horsepower, less innovation, less of everything except they have a better reliability reputation but of course sell a fraction of what the popular one sell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 667 Old 12-16-2013, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by triangledave View Post

Found this thread after ordering a TX-NR616 from Amazon, doh!  I Had an older 700 series (pre-HDMI) that worked flawlessly for 6-8 years.  I needed to update to a receiver with HDMI and have always like Onkyo, so I went with a 616.  Set up was fine and everything worked for about two weeks.  Then my ethernet port basically stopped working.  Since it was still in the return window, Amazon suggested a firmware update, however, I could never get a USB drive to be recognized by the receiver.  I tried three different working thumb drives loaded only with the firmware per instructions with no success.  

Amazon then sent me a replacement and the ethernet and USB was non-functioning on that unit as well.  I ended up sending that receiver back and getting a Yamaha V673 instead (plus I added the 3yr warranty this time).  Set up was quick and easy.  I plugged the ethernet in to the Yamaha using same cable and same mini-switch port and had online access right away.  So far, so good.

Another benefit is that the Yamaha has built in airplay, so I'm sending back my Apple TV that I got specifically for audio streaming to the receiver.

The IOS remotes between both receivers are similar and the price point is similar.  I am bummed about the Onkyo, but I don't think I'll be getting another.  Too bad, I've always preferred the brand, but it really sounds like they've produced a lemon with this series.

After several years of Onkyo, I am eyeballing a Yamaha as well... Tired of all these little glitches... When I first got my 616 I would have to reset it if the Ethernet port was enabled when it went into standby. Then they switched from online updates to USB only midstream... It draws 45 watts in standby and has a P.F. ratio of .65! Just seems like their stuff is 1/2 baked these days....

Cheez\/\/iz
---------------

Samsung F6400 Series - Firmware V1116

Hitachi 42HDS69 -With Flicker- Firmware: V0119.000x

post #633 of 667 Old 12-19-2013, 10:05 PM

My model is the TX-NR626, and I just bought a refurb a couple of weeks ago.  I suspect it uses the same processor and supporting electronics and similar firmware as these models.  I updated the firmware right away, just to have the latest.  I am having some problems.  The unit took my Pandora login and password fine, but won't take them for Spotify.  Also, I spent a full day with some success trying to get it to see and play music files on my MS Server Essentials 2012 server.  I've had some success using both Home Media and DLNA services on the Onkyo after jumping through many hoops, and relying on Internet forums.  The Onkyo manual says essentially nothing about how to make this happen.  One blog in particular from Germany listed steps that mostly work.  I had to enable the Guest account, and set several local policies differently than their defaults, verify and adjust several network settings and protocols, and share the music folder with Everyone.  Unfortunately, the Onkyo now sees all of the server folders, not just the music folder.  So, I have a few more experiments to make.  Oddly, after playing a test song using Home Media, then backing out of it, I couldn't get back in without it prompting for a login and password.  Home Media had never done that before during any of my previous tests, and no valid account info I gave it this time was successful.  So, Home Media is currently unusable, but DLNA works.  That is, I can find and play my song, but I see every other server folder, which is a distraction, and a nuisance.  I don't think I changed any server conditions between Home Media working and then not working, so I'm stumped.  Also, I wonder if the rejection of account info is for the same reason as the rejection of the Spotify account info.  I'm suspicious of the network protocols and data processing across the network by the Onkyo, or its compatibility with the typical MS settings.  If the account info  is getting garbled, that would explain the failure.  I understand why Onkyo isn't very responsive if the firmware simply doesn't work, or if their engineers don't know what network settings are needed to support its operation.  There's little they can do to help, short of fixing the firmware, or learning the network requirements, and either of these can take time and talented engineers.  It is unfortunate Onkyo testing didn't identify these problems before they released the products for sale.  They need to act quickly to avoid a black eye.  I'm looking forward to a productive firmware update from Onkyo.  Also, while they're working on the firmware they should also enhance the manual with some information about popular computer based media players and servers, and how to configure them to work with their receivers.  Two examples would be the MS Media Player included with Win 8.1 and MS Media Server included with MS Server Essentials 2012.   I'm disappointed that one must tinker with the guest account, file sharing, network protocols, and local policies on the server to make files visible to the Onkyo, but if this is necessary, the specific requirements should be identified and known by Onkyo, and documented in the user manual, or at least on support pages.  I believe that once all the bugs are fixed these tweaks should be unnecessary, but job one for Onkyo is to make it possible for users to configure the unit's features and features of common target equipment to operate as intended.

Naveed Ahamed likes this.
post #634 of 667 Old 12-23-2013, 09:24 AM

Liked: 10

Here's a problem that's got me. I run an HTPC, Sat and PS3 through my 616 and just recently upgraded to a Panasonic ST60. So to enable ARC from the TV to the receiver you have to turn on RHID which forces HDMI passthrough to auto (greyed out).

So now whenever I switch to my HTPC (running windows 2008 R2) from another device it is locked to stereo output through HDMI, because when the receiver was switched to another device it passed the HTPC HDMI connection through to the TV which is only stereo. So even when switching back to the HTPC it stays locked to the TV, the only way I seem to get it back to surround sound is on the receiver turning off RHID and HDMI passthrough, then turning the receiver off and back on. Which I assume breaks the HDMI chain to the TV and forced the HTPC to renegotiate  the HDMI connection with the receiver, thus allowing windows to detect it as surround sound audio again.

This is hugely frustrating, as I need ARC to work so that for example when using Netflix app on the TV it can output through the receiver. I have been grappling with this problem since I basically got the 616, and it took quite a while just to figure out what was happening. Because Windows is so damn stubborn with audio, it seems once it has seen the TV at the end of the HDMI connection it is locked onto it and nothing short of rebooting the HTPC or turning off passthrough on the receiver and turning it off and on will get Windows to 'see' the receiver as the audio output and allow surround sound.

Also, if you start XBMC on the HTPC while windows is in stereo mode, no matter what the settings are it can't seem to force a surround sound connection and so if you start a video it chugs at 1fps and hangs for 5mins on exit.

Hopefully I explained it well enough, because it's a complex problem. I'm just thinking other people must experience this and is there a work around?

post #635 of 667 Old 12-29-2013, 12:32 PM

quick question about the nr616,
one of the firmware updates seems to have fixed the video pass through problem. now my problem is when watching a program on my directv and i turn off the nr616 i have no sound passing through to the tv but the video is fine... anyone else have this problem and maybe a fix? onkyo is worthless about this, other than saying have to send it in for repair, which i guess is my next step if it continues. i am not even sure it can be fixed! is it something i am just going to have to get used to because it cant be fixed?
INFO::: i usually can get the sound to pass through by turning the nr616 on and off about 5 to 6 or maybe 7 times and it will finally start passing through the audio.

i am using a samsung un55es7500 lcd, with directv genie hd dvr. connected via hdmi from directv genie to nr616 and from nr616 to the tv.
i can use the op[tical option to get it working as should be but it limits what i have since i need to use the ARC function to play stuff from my pc to the tv and arc out sound to nr616 via serviio so i need it connected and working via hdmi instead of optical for the sound.

if anyone else is having problems with this please let me know.. and some things to try with this.

thanks
steve
post #636 of 667 Old 12-30-2013, 08:05 PM

Just received a new TX-NR616 from Amazon today and all was going well until it prompted me to do a firmware update.

Accessing the current firmware version it reads 1161-0108-04??.

Yes, that 's two question marks at the end so does this mean my firmware is corrupt?

When I try an update by Ethernet it downloads to 100% but then reads Error!! 9-1.

If I try the latest firmware by USB - 1161-3110-0500 - it says there are no files on the USB so no update there either.

I called support but they said I'm up to date because my current firmware begins with 1161 but the rest of the version number doesn't seem right especially the ?? They didn't have an explanation but said that it was fine but this will probably mean I can't ever do any updates.

I have to the end of the month to return to Amazon - may be the only solution unless I can find some help on a forum.

George
post #637 of 667 Old 12-31-2013, 03:23 AM

run as far away from this peice of junk as you can!!!!!!! this thing does not pass through as it should. you will end up fiddleing with this thing trying to get it to pass through vid or sound when the avr is off.. works fine when avr is powered on but when off forget it.
biggest dissapointment i have ever had... i am actually selling it on craigslist and going with a denon this week!!!!!
again return it rite away!
post #638 of 667 Old 01-01-2014, 04:04 PM

ok finally got sick and tired of screwing with this peice of junk.. all the pass through stuff on this thing is a joke.
got it for sale on craigslist for 250.00 bucks.
anyway i bought a yamaha RX-V773WA that i tested at a local store and the pass through works as it should and you can also change the inputs via the receiver remote without even turning on the receicer!! this is how it should be!

if anyone is interested the yamaha receiver (RX-V773WAbl) is on sale at newegg for 50% off at 449.00 !!!! thats a steal.. yes it is one model older and is a 2012 model but i did a comparison at yamaha to the new 2013 which is a 775 instead of 773 and there is absolutely no difference what so ever. all yamaha done for this model is change the model number for 2013. so what does the older year model number mean to me? absolutely nothing...might as well have a 775 2013 model because they made no changes!

i am staying as far away from onkyo as i can from now on.
post #639 of 667 Old 01-02-2014, 05:00 AM

I have had the Onkyo 616 for around 8-9 month now and everything was fine until now, i can now switch the receiver on and watch tv like normal for a few hours and then the receiver will switch itself off automatically  and i have to do power cycle with the power socket to get the receiver back on. I have asked the retailer for an refund or an receiver around the same price tag has this.

post #640 of 667 Old 01-07-2014, 05:54 PM

I am new to this forum and new to a complete avr. I purchased the tx-nr616 and for it up and running. I was just wondering if someone can give me some set up guidance for speaker settings. there is a lot of level calibration and settings that I played with, but can use some more advice.
I have Polk in wall rc85i in front. Polk tl1 center channel. Polk round rc80i in ceiling rear and a bic america down firing 10" sub. I used the audessey set up. then I downloaded a sound meter app and did the level calibration for each speaker and set to 80db. crossovers were set to 80hz front and rear and 100hz center. anything else I should play with? am I using DTS? or just all channel Dolby digital?
post #641 of 667 Old 01-11-2014, 02:35 PM

Hey guys, I'm not sure if anybody else has experienced this issue but I'm hoping somebody can help me out.  I have my computer and DAC hooked up to the Onkyo 515 receiver and for some reason I cannot get video and audio at the same time.  The computer is connected via hdmi with the DAC connected to the corresponding red/white plugs.  It was working fine for months then the other day just decided to stop.  I tried plugging the cables into other inputs ie. using the "game" inputs instead of "pc."  If I unplug the hdmi then I get audio but with the hdmi plugged in I get no sound.  Is this a common issue with A/V receivers or is the Onkyo just buggy?  I'm not sure what else to try to get it to operate correctly.

post #642 of 667 Old 01-11-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlikeabomb View Post

Hey guys, I'm not sure if anybody else has experienced this issue but I'm hoping somebody can help me out.  I have my computer and DAC hooked up to the Onkyo 515 receiver and for some reason I cannot get video and audio at the same time.  The computer is connected via hdmi with the DAC connected to the corresponding red/white plugs.  It was working fine for months then the other day just decided to stop.  I tried plugging the cables into other inputs ie. using the "game" inputs instead of "pc."  If I unplug the hdmi then I get audio but with the hdmi plugged in I get no sound.  Is this a common issue with A/V receivers or is the Onkyo just buggy?  I'm not sure what else to try to get it to operate correctly.

Hi tomlikeabomb, try going into Audio Selector menu to select "Analog".
post #643 of 667 Old 01-11-2014, 07:41 PM

You mean the component video input menu?  Or Digital audio input menu?  I don't see any menu to select "analog" from. =X

post #644 of 667 Old 01-11-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlikeabomb View Post

You mean the component video input menu?  Or Digital audio input menu?  I don't see any menu to select "analog" from. =X

After selecting your input go into Source Setup menu and then Audio Selector.
post #645 of 667 Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 PM

Factory restore fixed it! =D  Thanks JChin!

post #646 of 667 Old 01-13-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd123 View Post

Just received a new TX-NR616 from Amazon today and all was going well until it prompted me to do a firmware update.

Accessing the current firmware version it reads 1161-0108-04??.

Yes, that 's two question marks at the end so does this mean my firmware is corrupt?

When I try an update by Ethernet it downloads to 100% but then reads Error!! 9-1.

If I try the latest firmware by USB - 1161-3110-0500 - it says there are no files on the USB so no update there either.

I called support but they said I'm up to date because my current firmware begins with 1161 but the rest of the version number doesn't seem right especially the ?? They didn't have an explanation but said that it was fine but this will probably mean I can't ever do any updates.

I have to the end of the month to return to Amazon - may be the only solution unless I can find some help on a forum.

George

Onkyo deemed the factory installed firmware in my receiver corrupt so I returned to Amazon for a replacement which seems to be working great. I paid $319 but noticed the price is now $398.
post #647 of 667 Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 AM

So I have a question that I hope can be answered here. It isn't a common issue on this thread. When watching cable, it seems to drop signal going through the 616. My PS3 is fine and no dropping. A direct cable box to TV doesn't drop signal but going through the 616 it drops audio and video for about a second forcing the handshake again. It happens sporadically but for an understanding if I timed it, usually every 5 minutes. I have the 500 update. Is there a setting issue that I overlooked? Thanks for any help. BTW, I have Charter Cable with a Cisco box if that could be the issue.
post #648 of 667 Old 01-27-2014, 03:59 PM

Hi all. Just got myself a 414, and after reading a few of these posts I'm concerned :\

Anyway, mine is on firmware 1090-5000-0000 which I assume is quite old.

However, I get no notification of new firmware (have turned notification on) when connected via ethernet (get DHCP lease, can ping receiver).

Looking at the firmware update instructions it says to go to 1130 via ethernet, then the latest via usb.

So I found the 1130 version and loaded on usb to try, and receiver initialises the usb stick fine - can browse it in usb mode.

But I still get no option to update firmware - firmware menu just shows current version.

Any suggestions? Seems like firmware is not recognised by the 414. I unzipped and have tried both a single top directory on stick, with the rest under it, and the 3 files +_ dir)

Have turned off the HDMI setting and zone 2 as per instructions. Out of ideas...

update: turned the amp off for one hour (unplugged) and now showed update option. yay.

post #649 of 667 Old 01-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

I guess I was lucky, mine came with the latest.
post #650 of 667 Old 02-08-2014, 09:58 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm new on AVS and I brought a Onkyo 616 a few months ago, I haven't had many issues with mine until I just got back from holiday and the sub doesn't work on the PC input. It picks it up in the speaker settings section and also works on the BD/DVD input.

Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Thanks,

Matt

post #651 of 667 Old 02-15-2014, 04:14 PM

Sorry if this is well known but its a big thread and if it isn't I thought this might be useful to someone:

I have a TX-NR616 (UK model) and today I had some problems. I could hear a relay clicking away every 1-2 seconds when it was in standby. I had a lot of trouble powering it up. When it would work it only stayed on for 10-30 seconds. As it is JUST out of warranty I swore a lot, got out my catalogues and started looking for a replacement. Before going further I should point out that last night we had major storms and a power cut, I assumed that a mains power surge had blown something critical in the amp. LUCKILY in the end I noted something else before going down to my hifi emporium. 

What was actually causing the problem was that the 240v AC mains, that it should have been getting, was between 130v and 170v AC !

Basically the supply voltage was wandering all over the shop. Other kit (lights, TV's etc etc) was coping to a point I hadn't even noticed, but the Onkyo (and my microwave) didn't like it.

The important thing to note is that when mains returned to 240v AC all was well. I have seen no long term effects on the Onkyo.

Having said that, my personal advice is if you find your Onkyo showing the symptoms above, firstly do not assume it is broken. If you can, check your supply voltage, and if its out of spec, completely unplug the Onkyo so nothing gets "strained" while waiting for your electricity board to sort things out.

Hope that's useful to someone.

post #652 of 667 Old 02-17-2014, 02:30 PM

My Onkyo TX-NR616 isn't displayed and I cant access the set up. The volume appears as and when I change it or the input, but then it goes back to not appearing. Also, this may be a separate issue, but when changing the input or volume the amp always makes a clicking sound.... any ideas?? Many thanks in advance.
post #653 of 667 Old 02-18-2014, 04:44 AM

Hi after updating my NR616 to version 1161-3110-0500 my remote has stopped working, it will only work with PC selected, it will NOT work with BD/DVD, CBL/SAT OR STB/DVR.

I have done a factory reset but the remote will not work.

But the Onkyo phone app works the amp??? even then there seems to be something wrong as you can see the middle function is blanked out, anybody had this and found a cure???

Rob, UK

Best Regards

Robert.
post #654 of 667 Old 02-18-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHudson View Post

Hi after updating my NR616 to version 1161-3110-0500 my remote has stopped working, it will only work with PC selected, it will NOT work with BD/DVD, CBL/SAT OR STB/DVR.

I have done a factory reset but the remote will not work.

But the Onkyo phone app works the amp??? even then there seems to be something wrong as you can see the middle function is blanked out, anybody had this and found a cure???

Rob, UK

Hi forget what I put as I have discovered that when I pressed the Receiver button it all works???

Best Regards

Robert.
post #655 of 667 Old 02-19-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For those of you having intermittent and worsening HDMI problems, most likely your HDMI board has baked the power supply filter capacitors and your unit needs servicing. There is a service on Ebay that will fix your Onkyo receiver (actually more than one service on Ebay) that will repair your HDMI board, or if it is under warranty you can have Onkyo do the repair, but Onkyo will not use the high-temp rated capacitors and it will fail again eventually.

I would pick a service that uses high temp rated capacitors. The only other alternative is to use the original low-temp capacitors and install a fan to cool the HDMI board (it should have had heat sinks glued/screwed to the DSP and video controllers but hey that costs money). Please note that virtually EVERY Onkyo receiver seems prone to this same HDMI failure.

For the DIY crowd there is a TX-NR606 technical repair bulletin that has been leaked to the internet and it describes the recommended repair for that model. There are also several sites where the repair is described by people who have done it before, as well as YouTube videos describing how to repair Onkyo receiver problems including this HDMI failure on the TX-SR606. I have done this repair on a 606 using the YouTube video and it worked exactly as described, but did not fix the on-screen menu or the upscaling exactly as warned. I suspect that those functions occur on another board, maybe on the analog video board underneath the HDMI board, or maybe on the HDMI board but just parts that were not identified in the original repair bulletin.

If you are repairing a different model, you can identify the failing capacitors by identifying the output pins of the voltage regulators. You can also identify the exact failing capacitors by viewing the noise with an oscilloscope, but it makes no sense to do that because all the capacitors will fail eventually anyway. A better strategy (but more expensive) might be to replace ALL the capacitors on the HDMI board with mil spec hi temp capacitors, and add a fan to cool the board, or maybe even add heat sinks if possible. Then the board will never have this problem again, not even an IC failure from heat some years down the road. But then it is all a matter of perspective. Just how long will you be using this receiver?

There are specialty companies that replace capacitors on new equipment to prevent future failures. Onkyo receivers, at least the HDMI board, are a great candidate for this service. An enterprising entrepreneur would make a fortune providing this service at an affordable price.

For those of you complaining about a 'clicking' sound when using the receiver, most Onkyo receivers have a 'listening mode' selector that uses relays to turn the speaker outputs on and off when the sound mode changes. To stop the clicking mode you need to stop the sound mode from changing every time the program changes its sound track format. When it switches from a 2.0 sound track to a 5.1 sound track to a 7.1 sound track (for example) it will first start with two speakers connected, then five, then seven, and both times it changes mode you will hear relays clicking. THIS IS NORMAL for the default configuration, which is to use exactly the sound mode that matches the input bitstream.

The way to stop this clicking is to either set up the sound modes internally (default is 'last valid') for each input bit stream (see your user manual), or to stop watching programs where the sound mode changes continually, or to manually select a sound mode for each input bit stream that matches your exact speaker configuration, i.e. select dolby pro logic IIx every time the bitstream changes, until the 'last valid' mode matches your speaker selection no matter what bitstream is received. Note that if you choose to manually configure your sound mode rather than going into the setup menu and setting your sound mode for each bit stream type, you will also have to select the sound mode for every single input port, because all the 'last valid' sound modes are remembered per port per bitstream input type. That means you might have to set up a 7.1 output mode for all your inputs for 2.0. 5.1, and 7.1 modes to get most of the clicking to stop.

In other words you need to read your manual and if you do not understand what you are reading you have to either contact customer support, find a friend who understands receivers, or do some research on the internet to learn how to operate your receiver. You would not operate a computer without reading the manual and you should not operate a receiver without reading the manual either. I am an electrical engineer. I design integrated circuits. My background in electronics exceeds most of the people using receivers, and even I read the manual to learn how to operate my receiver. You should not expect to get out of this by doing less work than I did.
RobertHudson likes this.
post #656 of 667 Old 02-27-2014, 12:33 PM

They install a small daughter board on top of a processor and run a couple of wires in certain spots. In my opinion, this some kind of Voltage regulator board, It's done on mine.
post #657 of 667 Old 03-09-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi, i have the 414 and i am using it to drive the Front Wide channels for a 5010 (i have a 11.1 setup) :-)
So i am not using the HDMI board as the signal runs from the pre-out of the 5010 and is a analog audio connection, the 414 runs in Pure Audio mode.
I want to turn off the use of the HDMI board and i know i did read some tricks (button conbinations) to turn OFF and ON the HDMI board.
Now the board is using power and i am not using it so turning off would be a good option for me.

Thus anyone know of a button combination that will turn off the HDMI board ?

EDIT:
found the button combo to turn off the HDMI board:

BD/DVD and Standby (keep pressing BD/DVD then ad the Standby button, now you can select the use ON of OFF.
post #658 of 667 Old 03-10-2014, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylJosie View Post

For those of you having intermittent and worsening HDMI problems, most likely your HDMI board has baked the power supply filter capacitors and your unit needs servicing..................

From the beginning i start using Onkyo receivers i had heat problems with the HDMI board.
Like you mentioned the most "simple" solution is using fans on top, what will give a big change in internal temp of the receiver (see pics).
I also made heatsinks on 2 models Onkyo (818 and 3007, see pics) and now i have a 5010 with 3 fans on top and a 414 with the HDMI board turned OFF.
My "over the top" fan solution was the 818 with 9 fans running on 3 volt, this did not lowerd the temp compared to a 3 fans setup so this was fast changed. It did make the whole house feel cooler.... wink.gif
The 414 i am using is only doing the front-wide channels in a 11.1 setup, so no need to waist any energy in heat through the HDMI board, and it stays alive :-)

So indeed on a Onkyo its a good idea to use at least some fans, heatsinks are maybe better but for most music lovers a bit difficult.......

post #659 of 667 Old 03-10-2014, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

I am using this and it is a perfect solution while looking cool too. smile.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0079T2KHG/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #660 of 667 Old 03-21-2014, 07:46 AM

Hello all.    I recently purchased an ex-demo TX-NR515, serial N° "12SERIAL 3569PP5271601285J". With it are instructions saying to update the firmware before doing anything else, using the USB key supplied. I have all accessories except this key.

The installed firmware is 1141-0108-0400. I don't know if the dealer has already done the update. I've downloaded the latest available version from the website, but don't know if I must install any intermediate version before installing the latest version (1160...).

Considering that there are mentions in documents of the style "It's all your fault if you screw it up", I'm a bit paranoid about doing anything until I'm certain of the right thing to do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread - Nr515 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page