The *Official* Onkyo TX-NR414/515/616 Problems Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: Do you own an Onkyo TX-TR414/515/616 receiver that is displaying at least one of the following probl
Yes, I can't turn it on with the remote. 26 8.23%
Yes, the HDMI fails. 113 35.76%
Yes, I can't log into Spotify. 10 3.16%
Yes, I can't stream music from my phone. 14 4.43%
Yes, I have another problem not listed (explain below). 62 19.62%
No, I have one of these receivers and have not had a problem with it. 88 27.85%
Another answer not accounted for - explanation below. 11 3.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #691 of 706 Old 05-01-2015, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OK, managed to get it working, seems it just doesn't like my dodgy wireless network bridge. Not a massive surprise, but everything else plays OK! Time to replace it with Homeplug adapters anyway.

If anyone else is having trouble, check if you can simplify your network setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 706 Old 05-28-2015, 03:25 PM

i hav tx 414 and still have burning smell of plastic and unit gets hot,also on stanby there is some quiet sound from unit like short circuit,and on normal mode there is also some sound like at old units,anybody else have similar problems?
post #693 of 706 Old 06-06-2015, 10:47 AM

I have a nr616. As of right now I can get sound but no picture (blue ray plays and I can hear it but no picture). Also, I can't get the on screen menu to come up anymore. All was working just fine and now I can get any type of on screen picture. Any ideas?
Thanks
post #694 of 706 Old 07-14-2015, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My receiver is finally starting to have i think the HDMI board issue. It was working fine but I dont know by connecting my PC to the HDMI port must of created the problem. I cannot get sound on any of the options and then magically after a couple of days it will appear again. Cannot duplicate issue or recover mode. I still have a square trade warranty I purchased 3 years ago. Has anybody used them or had any dealings? I am hoping it is not repairable.
post #695 of 706 Old 10-15-2015, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
My 414 is still going strong! I have used a laptop fan via the USB port from day one.

Have not updated to last two FW as they don't offer me anything that I need. So I leave well enough alone.
post #696 of 706 Old 10-29-2015, 05:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by djscotty View Post
My receiver is finally starting to have i think the HDMI board issue. It was working fine but I dont know by connecting my PC to the HDMI port must of created the problem. I cannot get sound on any of the options and then magically after a couple of days it will appear again. Cannot duplicate issue or recover mode. I still have a square trade warranty I purchased 3 years ago. Has anybody used them or had any dealings? I am hoping it is not repairable.
Exact same situation here. I have 17 days left on my ST warranty. Last weekend, when I powered on my 616, the relay for the speakers never clicked and we got no sound. Power cycling a few times and it worked again, but we were getting very loud clicks and pops randomly like from playing an analog record. Continued to work like that for a week and then stopped again. No sound from any source including the radio. Video all looks fine... Did you use ST for yours? I too hope they just refund me as they have done for other things in the past...

Cheez\/\/iz
---------------

Samsung F6400 Series - Firmware V1116

Hitachi 42HDS69 -With Flicker- Firmware: V0119.000x

post #697 of 706 Old 01-03-2016, 04:32 PM

Just saw the post about Onkyo's extended repair offer. My SN qualifies, a TX-NR616 that has not worked right since I got it. Firmware changes have helped, or made it different, but never completely correct.

Today, there are two issues, and I'm not sure the audio "going out" is completely the same.

Once the unit is powered up and I finally get sound, it doesn't drop out. The problem is when turning on the unit. Assuming I get video, it almost 100% of the time does it in silence. For a while, it was pretty reliable where it would power up, be silent, then if I turned up the volume just a bit, you'd hear a relay click, then the sound would come in. Since updating firmware to the latest, and turning off bypass and RHID, the volume adjust trick doesn't work, just a power cycle or two.

The other problem that is more frustrating is that it doesn't like to switch to Apple TV. Cable box (Verizon Fios) is pretty reliable. At least for video. But Apple TV I just get a blue screen on the TV.

I've tried swapping inputs at the back of the set, i.e. swap the inputs so that Apple TV goes in the cable input (that works with Fios) and the problem follows the boxes. It seems like some kind of sensitivity threshold or something. Changing menus on the Apple TV box can sometimes kick the thing in to working. Once up, it's fine.

This receiver is fine once I get through these problems at power up. Not sure at this point if the extended repair offer is worth it.
post #698 of 706 Old 01-03-2016, 07:16 PM

Just saw the post about Onkyo's extended repair offer. My SN qualifies, a TX-NR616 that has not worked right since I got it. Firmware changes have helped, or made it different, but never completely correct.

Today, there are two issues, and I'm not sure the audio "going out" is completely the same.

Once the unit is powered up and I finally get sound, it doesn't drop out. The problem is when turning on the unit. Assuming I get video, it almost 100% of the time does it in silence. For a while, it was pretty reliable where it would power up, be silent, then if I turned up the volume just a bit, you'd hear a relay click, then the sound would come in. Since updating firmware to the latest, and turning off bypass and RHID, the volume adjust trick doesn't work, just a power cycle or two.

The other problem that is more frustrating is that it doesn't like to switch to Apple TV. Cable box (Verizon Fios) is pretty reliable. At least for video. But Apple TV I just get a blue screen on the TV.

I've tried swapping inputs at the back of the set, i.e. swap the inputs so that Apple TV goes in the cable input (that works with Fios) and the problem follows the boxes. It seems like some kind of sensitivity threshold or something. Changing menus on the Apple TV box can sometimes kick the thing in to working. Once up, it's fine.

This receiver is fine once I get through these problems at power up. Not sure at this point if the extended repair offer is worth it.
post #699 of 706 Old 01-04-2016, 12:19 PM

Hi,

I was experiencing the "no USB, no network, no sound" problem on my 616.
The "soft" reset (unplugging the unit from electricity for 5 minutes) didn't help so I prepared myself that I'll need to perform a factory reset.
I also realized, that there is a new firmware, so I prepared an USB stick with the new fw.
I've plugged the USB stick into the front USB and disconnected the ethernet cable.

Then I realized, that the LED on the USB started to glow .

Suddenly the unit was working just as before, it was the disconnection of the ethernet cable that helped.

Strange
post #700 of 706 Old 01-26-2016, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My 616 ran strong for three years then late last year it refused to connect to the internet and wouldn't output any sound no matter the source. I sent it in under the special warranty period and it came back with one of the two issues fixed so sent it back again and they corrected the second issue. The Onkyo special warranty website allows you to select which issue you are having when you request the shipping box and packing label but if you have two issues, it didn't allow you to let them know that. I simply went through the special warranty process again and selected the second issue. It again came back relatively quickly and worked as it should and still does. I was very happy that Onkyo stood behind their product and am now shopping for another one, likely a 646 for a second whole house audio project. It is hard to get past the bang for the buck that some of these Onkyos provide.
post #701 of 706 Old 01-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkust View Post
My 616 ran strong for three years then late last year it refused to connect to the internet and wouldn't output any sound no matter the source. I sent it in under the special warranty period and it came back with one of the two issues fixed so sent it back again and they corrected the second issue. The Onkyo special warranty website allows you to select which issue you are having when you request the shipping box and packing label but if you have two issues, it didn't allow you to let them know that. I simply went through the special warranty process again and selected the second issue. It again came back relatively quickly and worked as it should and still does. I was very happy that Onkyo stood behind their product and am now shopping for another one, likely a 646 for a second whole house audio project. It is hard to get past the bang for the buck that some of these Onkyos provide.
Very true on the bang for the buck aspect. 646 offers quite a bit for the price. For instance, there is no any other avr in that price range that offers a 32 bit AKM DAC.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #702 of 706 Old 01-31-2016, 12:51 PM

Giving up on the 616, and not bothering with the extended warranty options. Right out of the box I had HDMI issues, in June of 2012. It was a mix of no HDMI or no audio, without several power cycles and source switches. Tried several firmware updates, which seemed-to-kind-of help, but in other cases made for new problems. Latest firmware update didn't change much, and recently it appears audio output has died completely. Nothing on any output from any source.

From what I recall the warranty page options were to either fix the receiver, or a credit towards another Onkyo product. And I'm not completely sure the loss of audio would fit their definition on the extended warranty issue.

First, and last, Onkyo product for me.
post #703 of 706 Old 01-31-2016, 01:14 PM

Giving up on the 616, and not bothering with the extended warranty options. Right out of the box I had HDMI issues, in June of 2012. It was a mix of no HDMI or no audio, without several power cycles and source switches. Tried several firmware updates, which seemed-to-kind-of help, but in other cases made for new problems. Latest firmware update didn't change much, and recently it appears audio output has died completely. Nothing on any output from any source.

From what I recall the warranty page options were to either fix the receiver, or a credit towards another Onkyo product. And I'm not completely sure the loss of audio would fit their definition on the extended warranty issue.

post #704 of 706 Old 02-05-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcj103 View Post

Don't throw good money down the drain. Go ahead and send it in as loss of audio is one of the covered issues under the extended warranty. There were maybe 6 or 7 issues that qualify for the extended warranty. Interestingly enough after I posted my update a few posts up, my internet went out again (I've already had it fixed under the special warranty last year). The symptoms were slightly different that the previous time. First the wifi dongle quite receiving a signal from the rear usb port...switch to front usb port and works for a day...next day no wireless at all so try a wired connection and no go. Go to initial set up and both wifi and wired are greyed out. I do a soft reset, nothing. Getting mad....last ditch effort try a factory reset and that worked. It works like new again. What I noticed is that slowly over time the app will start to not maintain connection to the AVR which will get more and more frequent which is the harbinger of things to come. The 616 still has things that even the 646 and other non onkyo's don't have (at such a cheap price) such as a powered zone 2 that you can actually control the volume from the app on plus an unpowered zone 3 which you can use as a source if you have a whole other whole house audio system with a second home theatre room in another part of your house but powered by another separate AVR. You can get party mode through out the entire house on all floors but have two completely separate systems that each have their own home theatre room as well. That is to say you can do it but not spend a lot of money.
post #705 of 706 Old 02-05-2016, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I think my 616 started having these problems this week. I also connected a laptop to the front HDMI port the night before the problems started.

The problem shows up where nothing in the main zone plays, not even FM, but powered Zone 2 works. I would power cycle the unit, unplug and plug it back in many times and it would eventually come back into service, but I am not sure what I did to bring it back.

It is frustrating, especially for my wife. Tonight I bypassed the avr and connected my two sources to my TV and reprogrammed the remote. So now we can watch TV, but my surround sound is down for the count .

Would a factory reset help? Or does it need service? I ask because I an not in the US so getting this serviced will be difficult.

Replacing it will also be difficult because I can't get powered Zone 2 and Zone 3 at an affordable price today, two features that I use.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #706 of 706 Old Today, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjb View Post
I think my 616 started having these problems this week. I also connected a laptop to the front HDMI port the night before the problems started.

The problem shows up where nothing in the main zone plays, not even FM, but powered Zone 2 works. I would power cycle the unit, unplug and plug it back in many times and it would eventually come back into service, but I am not sure what I did to bring it back.

It is frustrating, especially for my wife. Tonight I bypassed the avr and connected my two sources to my TV and reprogrammed the remote. So now we can watch TV, but my surround sound is down for the count .

Would a factory reset help? Or does it need service? I ask because I an not in the US so getting this serviced will be difficult.

Replacing it will also be difficult because I can't get powered Zone 2 and Zone 3 at an affordable price today, two features that I use.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I think that you will have to go ahead and try it. When you do hard reset it and when you go the the initial set up page and try the speaker output screeen where you hear the static sound and you can adjust each speaker's gain....if there is no static sound coming from the speakers, it's time for service. AS for the 616, I don't know if it is even possible to get an inexpensive AVR with a powered zone 2 where you can actually control the volume from the avr and the phone app (yes all the 7.1's and 7.2, will likely have powered zone 2 but not controllable volume.) And forget about zone 3....they are cutting these little extras off the mid/budget onkyo's even. Instead you get ATMOS and a few other things that aren't quite as important in my house.
As for my own service, I was extremely impressed by how fast Onkyo sent the shipping box and how fast they got it back to me. I was barely without it for a week state side at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread