AVS Forum banner

Do you own an Onkyo TX-TR414/515/616 receiver that is displaying at least one of the following probl

• Yes, I can't turn it on with the remote.

Votes: 29 9.4%
  • Yes, the HDMI fails.

Votes: 127 41.4%
  • Yes, I can't log into Spotify.

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • Yes, I can't stream music from my phone.

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Yes, I have another problem not listed (explain below).

Votes: 68 22.1%
  • No, I have one of these receivers and have not had a problem with it.

Votes: 90 29.3%
  • Another answer not accounted for - explanation below.

Votes: 12 3.9%

The *Official* Onkyo TX-NR414/515/616 Problems Thread

397K views 764 replies 335 participants last post by  rmjb 
#1 ·
It seems a number of people are experiencing problems with the new 2012 receivers from Onkyo. In the last week, two firmware updates have been made available - the first being quickly withdrawn as a failure and the second being unable to be installed if you tried the first one and unsuccessful if you did manage to perform the upgrade!

I have a TX-NR616, which I bought two weeks ago and I'm about to return it. Not just because of the issues (outlined below), but because of the complete lack of interest shown by Onkyo in fixing the issues! As you will see, we're not talking about obscure problems, but basic operations like HDMI out and even turning the box on with the remote!

These are the main problems I've found so far...

1. Unit will not turn on with remote unless in Network Standby mode.

2. HDMI fails on starting up and the unit has to be re-initialized or reset to operate.

3. Spotify fails to log in even when the user name and password are confirmed correct.

4. Music will not stream over DLNA 1.5 using an Android phone.

If you have experienced any of these issues or, indeed, anything not mentioned, let us know here. At least we'll be performing a public service and steering people away from a potentially bad situation!

See less See more
#602 ·
I'm about one year in and the HDMI out on my 616 has failed. I updated the Firmware and did a hard reset and nothing has worked. The strange thing is that on startup, "Onkyo" does get displayed on my TV but it then goes blank. Anyhow, I have it in for repair under warranty, so we'll see how that goes. Has anyone had good luck with units being repaired not having the same issue re-ocurr?

#603 ·
I just got my 616 back from the service depot as my surround backs failed after about 10 months. The interesting thing is when I got it back the service document indicated the repair to the surround backs but in addition, they identified numerous bad solder points and re soldered at least three separate pieces. My guess is that the soldering on this thing is half assed and with continuous use and heating, the solder joints wear and then things fail. We'll see if my HDMI ends up going but so far only had the issue with the surround backs.

Good luck to everyone

#605 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat6366  /t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread/570#post_23747842

I'm about one year in and the HDMI out on my 616 has failed. I updated the Firmware and did a hard reset and nothing has worked. The strange thing is that on startup, "Onkyo" does get displayed on my TV but it then goes blank. Anyhow, I have it in for repair under warranty, so we'll see how that goes. Has anyone had good luck with units being repaired not having the same issue re-ocurr?

I was thinking the HRMI board went out on mine the other day, but when I was trying to get a 3D movie on DirecTV PPV, I blanked out the assignable inputs for the HDMI. Went through the manual and found out what - - - meant and reassigned the inputs to the ports. The movie Star Track into the Darkness is very enjoyable.

#606 ·
Hello everyone. The problem with my Onkyo TX-NR414 reciever is that I couldn't update it in none of normal ways - I could see only a firmware version number in the proper section. Today I decided to do the forced USB update to upgrade it to the newest f/w version. The reason for that was strange behavior of my device, now I regret that decision. It took less than 10 minutes to complete the process before 'completed' appeared. So I've removed the pendrive, turned the device off and started waiting for the auto power on. And I'm still waiting. I tried leaving it uncorded for a couple of hours, to plug the USB again, etc. Pressing ON/STANDBY gives NO effect at all, no sound either light.

I've had it for 2 days only, so maybe there's any way to avoid sending it back to the seller? Should I leave it unplugged through the night and try in tne morning again? I have researched all the Internet to find anyone with the problem like mine, and I can't find anyone. Thanks for any help.

#608 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by escknx  /t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread/600#post_23808978

Guys is there possible to use hdmi out and aux input at the same time.

I nee to have image from HDMI and audio via AUX.

Hi escknx, its possible by assigning HDMI source to Aux input and set Audio Selector to Analog in the Source Setup menu.

#609 ·
That is exactly what I was looking for.

Now if I need to switch it back here is only way to manually set Audio Selector to HDMI back through the menu?

Looks like I can not assign PC input to HDMI 4 and AUX to the same HDMI 4 with difference in Audio Selector so I could switch audio source by single button pressing.

#610 ·
You may want to consider using the TV input. Select HDMI, get your picture, and then switch over to TV, where you have set your audio input. The TV analog will take over the audio from your HDMI. Then if you want to go back to the audio stream on HDMI, just hit the same HDMI selector that you did previously before you selected TV.

#611 ·
On about Sept 13 2013, after about 4 weeks of audio cut outs, and not be able to program my Harmony One remote to work the TV without manual using the original remotes to switch inputs, I was ready to box it up (TX NR-515 refurb), I checked for another firmware update.

I believe it was XXXXX-XXXX-0500.

I download and installed via USB, which was quite a hassle, took about 2 hours to download, transfer to flash drive, install, the check.

Everything has been working ever , HDMI pass-thru, etc, no problem or glitches. The Harmony One remote works, just like before, my wife can now work the TV, Blu-ray, receiver, stream videos, etc. No need for all five remotes laying on the coffee table.

P.S. When I installed this on Aug 10, I updated to the most current firmware- 0400, I believe. You would have though they would have come from the factory with the most current, ( it was several months old at the time.)

Hopefully this may help other who are experienceing HDMI pass through issue , and audio cut-outs

#616 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparin  /t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread/600#post_23815627

On about Sept 13 2013, after about 4 weeks of audio cut outs, and not be able to program my Harmony One remote to work the TV without manual using the original remotes to switch inputs, I was ready to box it up (TX NR-515 refurb), I checked for another firmware update.

I believe it was XXXXX-XXXX-0500.

I download and installed via USB, which was quite a hassle, took about 2 hours to download, transfer to flash drive, install, the check.

Everything has been working ever , HDMI pass-thru, etc, no problem or glitches. The Harmony One remote works, just like before, my wife can now work the TV, Blu-ray, receiver, stream videos, etc. No need for all five remotes laying on the coffee table.

P.S. When I installed this on Aug 10, I updated to the most current firmware- 0400, I believe. You would have though they would have come from the factory with the most current, ( it was several months old at the time.)

Hopefully this may help other who are experienceing HDMI pass through issue , and audio cut-outs

Where can i download the firmware update?

#619 ·

Good Day,

I have tried to search for this issue but I am completely stumped. My 515's audio drops out on any surround source (cable/DTV / BLR / ROKU) and come back for sometime then drop out again. This does not happen on non 5.1 sources (kids channel on DTV). I have updated the firmware to the latest 0500 and even changed the HDMI out cable. Also I turned off the return channel just to test. I still get the same outcome. 

When it does crap out the unit shows PCM not D or any other 5.1 format.

Thank you in advance, as my wife and 3 year old are all over me.

#622 ·
#623 ·

My 609 died and they replaced it with a grade B stock 616. Worked fine for an evening but now it puts out a horrendous white noise kind of sound through the right surround channel. I have confirmed it's not the speaker, and it does it even with the rear speakers turned off in the menu. Also very occasionally it has turned itself off.

Took 3 weeks for them to finally change it, I hate to be another 3 specially with the PS4 on its way.

Not happy :(

#624 ·

Hi everyone. I've had my Onkyo TX-NR515 for nearly a year now, and I've finally decided I need to get the issues with it sorted out before the warranty expires.

Briefly, the issues are my receiver locks up and requires it to be unplugged for a variable amount of time (minutes to days). By locks up I mean none of the physical buttons, nor the volume knob respond, and it also does not respond to the remote.

I experienced this issue for a few months ago, and the solution I've seemed to discover is to unplug it for a few minutes and sometimes it'll respond again after plugging in. Other times it has to be unplugged for a few days. Then it works great for a while until eventually it freezes (sometimes after minutes, other times after weeks of use). I'm worried about sending it in for repair as it may not demonstrate any issues while under inspection.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

#625 ·
I have picked up a broken 616 from the bay. I have repaired the blown components in the amp section and it started right up.

After that, I have realized that the HDMI bord and other video outputs did not work at all.

There is a seller(shop in Garden Grove CA) on the bay that repairs these HDMI boards, they repaired mine for $85.

It seems like they add a small daughter board on top of a processor and they run two wires to two point on the board. The board looks like some kind of voltage regulator o something similar.

Another thing that I have noticed and did it on my unit, is the fan to run all the time when the unit is turned on.

There is another 12V plug on the HDMI board, called NVRAM Write 12V and I have plugged the fan, in that plug and now the unit is not getting hot at all. I can't even hear the fan at all.

#626 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.