The *Official* Onkyo TX-NR414/515/616 Problems Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do you own an Onkyo TX-TR414/515/616 receiver that is displaying at least one of the following probl
Yes, I can't turn it on with the remote. 25 9.33%
Yes, the HDMI fails. 94 35.07%
Yes, I can't log into Spotify. 8 2.99%
Yes, I can't stream music from my phone. 12 4.48%
Yes, I have another problem not listed (explain below). 46 17.16%
No, I have one of these receivers and have not had a problem with it. 75 27.99%
Another answer not accounted for - explanation below. 9 3.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 661 Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have a 616 and the latest update has fixed the issue for me. No power on from remote issues at all since that update.

Video - Panasonic VT50 55" | Panasonic BDT320
AVR - Denon X4000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350
Speakers - JTR Noesis 228HT | DIY Sound Group Volt V10 | JTR Captivator S2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 661 Old 08-06-2012, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The firmware fixed this issue on the NR616 that I updated, but not on the NR515. I have since went out to Onkyo's support forum, there are a ton of posts regarding all of these issues. Lot of discussion on failed firmware updates as well requiring replacement of the receiver all together. I thankfully have not had to go that route.

Hopefully a solid firmware updated is released soon that will fix the 1 remaining issue with the remote/power on.
post #93 of 661 Old 08-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just watched 2 things through the onkyo via my sky had box.
Iron man 2 - recorded, not live, and the voice and image were out of sync... Just enough to see mouth move out of time.
The green mile - live, not recorded, fast bright images, such as the sparks and flashes in the prison when things were happening we're blurry and almost slowed down with a shadowing effect for people.
The tv is a Samsung 39", 100hz, 1080p, 23fps (I think). I can't remember the exact model but it's about 4 years old.
I then tried these both direct from the sky box to tv and no issues.
Has anyone experienced this before with their onkyo? I have a 616.
Has anyone any ideas or experienced this?
Thanks.
post #94 of 661 Old 08-07-2012, 03:24 PM

1. I'm returning it :-( . I can't get the a/v sync to be constantly right across inputs which is not really acceptable. Some sky channels are in sync, some are not. They are always in sync direct to the tv though. I'll continue on looking at other brands I think.

If anyone does know of any good alternatives to the 616 at the similar price please let me know. Especially if you know it doesn't suffer from this lip sync issue ;-)

Thanks
post #95 of 661 Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM

Hi,
I recently just purchased the NR 616 and my main problem is the remote not turning on the receiver after it has been shut off for a while. A couple of you have said that there are new firmware updates that have fixed this. I am on the Onkyo website and the latest firmware update was from 6/26/12. Where are you finding this firmware updates to fix this problem?

Also, is the standby mode thing a reliable alternative to using the remote power on? How do I even put it in standby mode? I dont see that option on the receiver or the remote. Obviously I'm a noob, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

So I just saw that the fixed the remote issue for the 717. So does that mean 616 people are left in the dust now? Ugh
post #96 of 661 Old 08-08-2012, 01:55 PM

Sorry for the double post, but does anyone's Remote Android App work for the 616? I try to turn up the volume from the app and it does nothing on my receiver. Also the input doesn't do anything either when I switch it from my phone app.
post #97 of 661 Old 08-09-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud007 View Post

Hi,
I recently just purchased the NR 616 and my main problem is the remote not turning on the receiver after it has been shut off for a while. A couple of you have said that there are new firmware updates that have fixed this. I am on the Onkyo website and the latest firmware update was from 6/26/12. Where are you finding this firmware updates to fix this problem?
Also, is the standby mode thing a reliable alternative to using the remote power on? How do I even put it in standby mode? I dont see that option on the receiver or the remote. Obviously I'm a noob, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
So I just saw that the fixed the remote issue for the 717. So does that mean 616 people are left in the dust now? Ugh

A firmware update from about 7/24/12 has the fix for the remote-on problem. But they pulled the 616 update due to "server maintenance" a few days after posting it.

This is only for the 616, and maybe one other model. We're about two weeks into "server maintenance". WTH?

I have a copy of the update, but at this point, the receiver is working, since I leave it in hybrid standby mode. So I'm not touching it, though I'd like to have the Airplay and iOS remote part working again...

Thinking about taking advantage of the Crutchfield 60 day return policy as well. I still have a few weeks.
post #98 of 661 Old 08-09-2012, 03:34 PM

thinking of risking it and buying the 515. question about connecting it to computer. ive never done that before with a receiver, but i figure i better do it with this to get any firmware updates. is it as simple as connecting the comp to the avr with an ethernet cable? thats it?
post #99 of 661 Old 08-09-2012, 08:08 PM

first post on the forums yet--- been reading them a while, and closely following this thread after i recently purchased a 616 for my company's media room- Ive read the post completely to this point-- and have this to add (total av n00b... but fixing computers is how i eat- so basic connections and general troubleshooting come 2nd nature)
Issues:
-when the unit loses power, if powered on and doing something-- then when power is restored, you MUST use the power button on the face of the unit to get it to come back on, ir remotes dont work
-occasionally, and for no apparent reason-- when switching between inputs, ill lose audio totally -- when using the volume keys on the remote, no volume o.s.d. appears
-network remote is BARELY usable, compared to other onkyo receivers with the same exact feature, seems sluggish and non-responsive at times, an almost amateur implementation
-unit, somewhat randomly does not "wake" -- onkyo says hitting an input should wake the receiver in that inputs mode-- not hardly... instead i am walking upstairs to a media closet to power the unit back on-- power button on remote fails as listed also

Ive called Onkyo several times in reference to said problems-- applied firmware updates they promised would resolve "my" issue... notice the emphasis on "my"... the way i presented it to them, they had a reputation to maintain-- so I, the customer, offered the solution-- take this unit back, give me my purchase cost or what you value it at, whichever is lower-- and ILL PAY THE DIFFERENCE for a top of the line model that you will guarantee against such issues-- my idea was quickly shot down, after the employee spoke with a superior for approval-- when i asked to speak with that superior or a supervisor to state my case, i was told there is no one available-- to leave a message, so i did--- that was 4 days ago---

another reflection on my experience with onkyo phone support so far, of the handful of calls ive placed to them, i swear-- once they hear 616 every one of the techs walks through and presents solutions--- it takes about three or four "tried that already"s then they facepalm- and then flutter around ignorantly on the other end of the line, as if they DONT want to record a support ticket-- it only leaves me to believe this must be a monotonous task on that side with this particular model.

the ball is in your court onkyo-- prove me wrong, but ill always call it like i see it.
post #100 of 661 Old 08-10-2012, 11:46 AM

Well, I turned on my receiver today and I got a firmware update notification on my tv. Downloaded it via Network. No idea what the latest firmware update is for. So I went on the website, and there is no new firmware update showing on the website. I'm wondering if the website is just behind on the updates or what. Anyone know what today's firmware update pertains to? Nevermind. I have found this website that explains the latest firmware update. However, my Android app still doesn't collaborate with my receiver. Ugh. Anyone else have an EVO?

*Update*
Check this out http://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/firmware/tx-nr616.html
post #101 of 661 Old 08-11-2012, 03:53 AM

Is it worth starting a new thread for each firmware release? I would love to hear more folks' experience with the new August 10th firmware update.
post #102 of 661 Old 08-13-2012, 09:28 PM

I updated to the 10th August firmware.

Still having the HDMI issues. I enable standby bypass for xbox, but sometimes my TV still does not detect a signal. I have to off/on the power point for 616 before it works again. Same goes for other inputs like the front USB which I use to connect my iPhone for music.

Am I the only one??

Also, is there a reason why sometimes my speaker settings in Setup is not able to be chosen??
Is this normal?

Thanks!
post #103 of 661 Old 08-14-2012, 02:23 AM

Hi,

as few people above, my first post...

I purchased the 515 few weeks ago, got 2 FW updates very closely one after another, all went fine. Thing I haven't noticed before as I was using xtreamer prodigy to do all my streaming stuff (going back to pixmania for replacement..) is that I cannot actually play any movie from network nor usb.. I can see the music tracks on my home network, but all video folders have the little red cross next to them, all I can see are just folders, navigating inside the folder it tells 'no items'. Would anybody have an idea?

Regarding other problems I've seen here..
Have no issue with powering the unit via remote, neither controlling the unit from my android phone, all nice and smooth. Although funny thing is that my FW is 9107 and on the website I can see 9106 as latest...
post #104 of 661 Old 08-14-2012, 07:53 PM

I am thinking buying one of this line which is the one with the least problems?

Also in the docs about the series it always says flash drive when it comes to USB connected storage. I mainly want this because is supports flac and thus need a lot of storage will it work with a usb hard drive has some one tried it or is the electrical drain from a usb hard drive more than it can take?
post #105 of 661 Old 08-25-2012, 11:35 AM

The video out issue on the NR616 has returned, even with the new firmware. Anybody else have issues since updating? The NR515 appears to have been fixed - was experiencing the power on issue via remote till the latest firmware update.
post #106 of 661 Old 08-25-2012, 05:26 PM

For those of us (me) heavily considering a 515 or 616 purchase:

Do those of you who have been reporting the issues intend to report when those things have been fixed by FW updates?

I keep watching this thread, as I hope to learn IF this platform gets stability with updates. In the meantime, I continue to look for an alternative (for me, that has good legacy component inputs and zone 2).
post #107 of 661 Old 08-26-2012, 10:27 AM

I have a 616, and had the remote-on problem, but use it with both network standby and HDMI through enabled, so the unit stays in hybrid standby, so there normally aren't any remote power on issues. It did have the issue when I was first setting it up.

After updating to the July version (can't recall the exact version) the remote-power problem was still there. After updating to the August version, 1130-9106-0300, the remote power issue appears to be fixed. I tried turning off the network standby and HDMI through options, so the unit would really power down. Still powered up with the remote.

There was one time after adding an HDMI source, when the HDMI out wasn't working. But after a power-cycle, and checking some settings, it has been fine since then.
post #108 of 661 Old 08-27-2012, 03:53 PM

My parents just called me to inform me that their NR515 no longer is able to output video now. I haven't been over there to do a reset on the NR616 yet, so I will be doing that on both. This is definately a reoccuring problem.

The remote issue has been fixed, but the no video issue is a major flaw.

Looking over at Onkyo's support forum on their own website, there are many posts about these issues. The support rep stated that the failure rate is at .3%, which I'm confident is well north of that figure. From his latest response, it appears that they are working on putting out another firmware update to fix video out issue. While we wait, a hard reset should buy us a day or 2 at a time.
post #109 of 661 Old 08-28-2012, 12:03 PM

Sigh, so I guess seeing these problems continue and not be resolved should serve as a warning to NOT buy into this.

Any input on what I should go for as an alternative? I think the comparable Denon's won't work for me as I need a number of legacy composite inputs (NES, SNES, PS1, ...). I guess that leaves maybe a Yamaha product for consideration. Powered Zone 2 will also be needed, but seems mostly available.

Maybe I should look at the older Onkyo 609 as well? I doubt I'll care about Network features as I most likely will rely on something like an HTPC, AppleTv, etc. to get me that...

I've only bought 1 other receiver (a great Onkyo 606), so this newb appreciates the input.
post #110 of 661 Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk51 View Post

Sigh, so I guess seeing these problems continue and not be resolved should serve as a warning to NOT buy into this.
Any input on what I should go for as an alternative? I think the comparable Denon's won't work for me as I need a number of legacy composite inputs (NES, SNES, PS1, ...). I guess that leaves maybe a Yamaha product for consideration. Powered Zone 2 will also be needed, but seems mostly available.
Maybe I should look at the older Onkyo 609 as well? I doubt I'll care about Network features as I most likely will rely on something like an HTPC, AppleTv, etc. to get me that...
I've only bought 1 other receiver (a great Onkyo 606), so this newb appreciates the input.
I just bought one and so far I'm not seeing any of the issues but it's real early for me to tell. I figured that even if I had issues, with 2 years of warranty, eventually I'd end up with a good product.
post #111 of 661 Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 AM

has anyone experienced crackling/static upon first turning on the system through the center channel? i switched from 5.1 to 7.1 with new speakers and if i turn the receiver on after it has sat off for a few hours i get 5 seconds of static/crackling then its clear. ive tried new wires, tried mutiple center channel speakers as well
post #112 of 661 Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 PM

Okay I have a noob question for anyone to answer. First off, I have the 616 model. Anyways, I am trying to hook up my Xbox 360 to my surround sound, but I cannot get the video. I have an older xbox 360 without HDMI. So I just have the component(green,blue, red) cables. There is only 1 input for these so I used them. It is even marked CBL/SAT next to the input. So i plugged the cables in there, while putting the red and white audio composite audio cables into the corresponding CBL/SAT input on the receiver. I can hear the sound, but there is no video on any of my the receivers input. I have tried BD/DVD, CBL/SAT, STB/DVR, GAME, PC etc but nothing! All I get is the plain blue screens. I only have one output on my receiver and thats the HDMI that runs to my TV. My understanding was that this receiver up-converts everything so I would not need separate component cables as an output going from receiver to TV. Am I missing something or do I have to have additional component cables for output? Thanks.
post #113 of 661 Old 08-30-2012, 01:12 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
No additional component cable is required. Under HDMI Inputs (p. 52 OM), select "---" for the CBL/SAT input.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #114 of 661 Old 08-30-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

No additional component cable is required. Under HDMI Inputs (p. 52 OM), select "---" for the CBL/SAT input.

Ok so I went to the setup screen and went to the HDMI INPUT menu.

I changed CBL/SAT to "
" = Still nothing

Next, I went to COMPONENT VIDEO INPUT.

I changed CBL/SAT to "
" = Still nothing

Lastly, in COMPONENT VIDEO INPUT

I changed CBL/SAT to "IN 1" = Still nothing

Do I need to do something else? Ugh. Thanks so far
post #115 of 661 Old 08-30-2012, 02:36 PM
585-645-1006

When you use the (dash) entry it means no input is used which is why you want to set the HDMI (CBL/SAT) input to that setting. The component video setting should factory default to "IN1" and should be left at that setting. When the CBL/SAT input is selected, the video should be upconverted to the HDMI Output. Do you have the Monitor Out set to "MAIN" and the Resolution set to "AUTO"? You may need to set the Resolution to 1080p. Also make sure the xBox works when connected directly to the TV.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #116 of 661 Old 08-30-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

When you use the (dash) entry it means no input is used which is why you want to set the HDMI (CBL/SAT) input to that setting. The component video setting should factory default to "IN1" and should be left at that setting. When the CBL/SAT input is selected, the video should be upconverted to the HDMI Output. Do you have the Monitor Out set to "MAIN" and the Resolution set to "AUTO"? You may need to set the Resolution to 1080p. Also make sure the xBox works when connected directly to the TV.

It was set to "IN1" by default and still had the blue screen when I go to CBL/SAT source. Monitor Out is set to "MAIN". I will try changing the resolution. Do you think there is a setting with my Xbox that I should have to change? Thanks again.
post #117 of 661 Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:

It was set to "IN1" by default and still had the blue screen when I go to CBL/SAT source. Monitor Out is set to "MAIN". I will try changing the resolution. Do you think there is a setting with my Xbox that I should have to change? Thanks again.

Well, I tried switching the resolution to 1080p and still nothing, but the standard blue screen. There wasnt really a setting on the Xbox either. Hmm... I am starting to wonder if I have a lemon because the Video Components are not working. This is weird. I appreciate your help. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
post #118 of 661 Old 09-01-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Well, I tried switching the resolution to 1080p and still nothing, but the standard blue screen. There wasnt really a setting on the Xbox either. Hmm... I am starting to wonder if I have a lemon because the Video Components are not working. This is weird. I appreciate your help. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Well, I have an update. Called Onkyo Support and guy said that ONKYO receivers cannot upconvert 720p to 1080p. It can only go from 480i to 1080p. This does not make me happy and I dont understand. What is the point of having Video Component inputs if you cannot up-convert to 1080? This does not make any sense to me.

Anyways, my xbox 360 can only go down to 480p, not 480i. Tech guy told me that if I had a Composite cable (Yellow, Red, White), then that would automatically be 480i and I could up-convert to 1080 using those cables as my input. So I had to assign my input with "
" to use the composite. I then turned on the xbox 360 with the CBL/SAT input source. Still nothing, but a blue screen! Hmmm, let me try my old ps2 with composites to see if that will even work. I plugged it in and surprisingly the display comes on using the CBL/SAT input source. However, it does not look any better or upconverted than before. Anyways, the Xbox 360 will not even work using component or composite cables plugged into the receiver input. At this point, I am completely exhausted from the situation. Onkyo support doesn't seem to know what the problem is. I feel like they are just guessing with an answer whenever I speak to them, and it never solves the problem. I have come to the conclusion that this whole upconverting feature is nothing more than a gimmick. One of the tech guys even told me that the display will most likely look worse going into the receiver rather than plugging the video device directly into the TV. Perhaps the whole HD up-converting is nothing more than a marketing tool.

I guess I will just stick with my 720p and plug my xbox straight into the TV, and then use a fiber optic cable to plug into the receiver. Sigh.
post #119 of 661 Old 09-02-2012, 05:18 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Well, I have an update. Called Onkyo Support and guy said that ONKYO receivers cannot upconvert 720p to 1080p. It can only go from 480i to 1080p. This does not make me happy and I dont understand. What is the point of having Video Component inputs if you cannot up-convert to 1080? This does not make any sense to me.

Wow! Sure enough, as noted by the below chart (p. 91 OM), the 616 (and 515) cannot upconvert other than a 480i component video resolution. Although note the 717 and higher models can upconvert any component video input resolution.

post #120 of 661 Old 09-02-2012, 05:09 PM

Would you guys recommend the 515 or should I pass and look at another vendor? The HDMI dropouts sound like quite an issue. But amazon has the free wifi adaptor along with the receiver on sale for $300
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page