The *Official* Onkyo TX-NR414/515/616 Problems Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do you own an Onkyo TX-TR414/515/616 receiver that is displaying at least one of the following probl
Yes, I can't turn it on with the remote. 25 9.16%
Yes, the HDMI fails. 95 34.80%
Yes, I can't log into Spotify. 8 2.93%
Yes, I can't stream music from my phone. 12 4.40%
Yes, I have another problem not listed (explain below). 47 17.22%
No, I have one of these receivers and have not had a problem with it. 78 28.57%
Another answer not accounted for - explanation below. 9 3.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 663 Old 11-09-2012, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bug:

In Hardware Setup / HDMI I have HDMI Through set to CBL/SAT so when the receiver is in standby mode it throughputs the HDMI signal to my TV. Audio TV Out is to "Off"
When I switch the 616 back on, it won't play Dolby True HD and DTS Master and instead displays them as a PCM signal.
The only way to make it play HD formats again is by going to Hardware Setup / HDMI, set Audio TV Out to "On", leave the setup screen, go there again and set Audio TV Out to "Off" again. That's 42 button presses everytime I want to watch a movie with the receiver turned on!
Does anyone know the best place (closest to the source) to report bugs like these?

Youth is wasted on the wrong people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 663 Old 11-11-2012, 12:09 PM

Liked: 10
Can you run 2 different sources out of the two hdmi outs on the 616.
post #183 of 663 Old 11-12-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I have a 616 arriving tomorrow from Amazon. Do I need to do the network firmware updates before doing the USB update or can I just do the USB update? sorry for the dumb question.

Steve S.
post #184 of 663 Old 11-12-2012, 03:07 PM

I started with the internet updates but it does them 1 at a time and it takes like half an hour for each update. I got impatient and downloaded the latest and updated from USB. It baffles me why the internet update function doesn't pick the latest version and updates in 1 go instead of installing update after update...

post #185 of 663 Old 11-12-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypuck25 View Post

Can you run 2 different sources out of the two hdmi outs on the 616.
No you can't. 1 source goes to either the main, sub or both HDMI outputs. The sub HDMI output won't output upscaled video which kinda sucks because that's the one my projector is connected to. So my BD player has to do the upscaling while the 616 has the superior Qdeo chipset and can do better frown.gif

post #186 of 663 Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 AM

Hello all,

I have an NR515 and since two days I can't select any of the listenmodes anymore. All the output is 'direct'. FM is stereo, USB too, but a Dolby 5.1 goes to all channels. I have searched the internet for a couple of hours and have seen the manual already too much but can't find the solution.

- latest firmware
- power off, power on a few times
- TV-output on and off (and switched a few times to check solution of post above)
- every other setting I have seen and changed at least once to check......

Do I miss something? Please somebody heeeeelp smile.gif

FIX: Press the BD/DVD button on the receiver and the powerbutton until 'HDMI BD: Use' appears.. Don'tknow what it does, but it fixed my problem.
post #187 of 663 Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM

Hi sorry I cant help with anyone's problem,

Once again I watched a Blu Ray Disc last night put the satalite back on when I switched it all off it all worked as it should do, big grin.smile.gif

Switched it back on in the morning yep NO TV, NO SATALITE, NO BLU RAY, NOTHING, BIG FROWN.mad.gif

Had to switch it ALL OFF AT THE WALL.

Where do we stand in 2 years time when it turns into a brick?, and NO WANTS TO KNOW, not that ONKYO Want to know anyway:mad:

Best Regards

Robert.
post #188 of 663 Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 AM

Hi One More Q, When you watch a BluRay disc in DTS-HD What shoul it show on the on the amp/TV Screen DTS or DTS-HD, Mine just shows DTS.

Is it still in DTS-HD??? Any help UK.

Best Regards

Robert.
post #189 of 663 Old 11-15-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^I had the same problem on my 616 last night. Had to disable "secondary audio track" on my Panasonic BD player.

Steve S.
post #190 of 663 Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecf View Post

I followed the firmware update as shown on the Onkyo website, when I plugged in the usb and went to the firmware update screen, it shows the current firmware version and thats it. Any Ideas?
Jeff

I know I'm replying to a 3 week old post but just wanted to share my experience.

I received my 616 yesterday from Amazon and spent most of the evening setting it up--no problems and the receiver was working fine, but I wanted to do the update and had the same experience--all I got was the current firmware version. Several tries at downloading, unzipping, and loading the firmware onto a flashdrive didn't help. I called Onkyo support around noon today (800-229-1687) and got a rep with a NJ accent! Very long story short this rep, with infinite patience (I'm a computer idiot) walked me throught the whole process of unzipping and loading the files onto my flashdrive and getting the download started on my receiver. This was the single best customer service experience I've had in my 62 years. My product is too new to know if it's going to be troublesome in the future but my support experience convinced me that Onkyo is tops for support.

Steve S.
post #191 of 663 Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 PM

Hi all, I emailed Onkyo yesterday about my problem with Not getting a picture the next morning after watching a Blu Ray Disc the night before, within two hours telling me how to update my 616 and a link to a authorised dealer if i could not fix it..

Any how I now have Version 1141-0108-0400, let's hope my Problem has been FIXED.

Best Regards

Robert.
post #192 of 663 Old 11-15-2012, 11:07 PM

PS I forgot to mention it took me HOURS to final unzip and get it to update, I'm NOT sure I can remember HOW I did it lol.

Best Regards

Robert.
post #193 of 663 Old 11-16-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^Thanks for that, now I don't feel quite so much like an idiot. I actually never got the download on to the USB stick correctly on my own--the Onkyo rep (I'm nominating this guy for sainthood) actually had to walk me through the process of unzipping and loading onto the flashdrive, once that was done the upgrade happened without a glitch.

Later that day I reprogrammed my Harmony remote to use the Onkyo instead of my old Pioneer receiver and played with things a bit. No problem whatsoever switching sources repeatedly.

Steve S.
post #194 of 663 Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 AM

I believe I will be receiving my 616 today and will, obviously, want to update the thing immediately. It looks by recent activity on this thread that the latest update have done the trick. But just to be clear, I am planning on doing the USB update.

My question:

should I used the 10/9 update on the 616 product page found here http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR616&class=Receiver&p=d

or should I used the 11/13 Download Central udpate found here http://www.us.onkyo.com/download/software.cfm

I assume only one of these is necessary. Please clarify and advise if I am incorrect on this. Thanks for the help.
post #195 of 663 Old 11-19-2012, 02:20 PM

I setup my new 414 from Amazon two days ago. Did two firmware updates via Ethernet without problem. Connected the rest of my components and TV (LG 55LW5700) without any real problems. Happy with both audio and video results.

Thanks to the all posters to this thread, my installation went smoothly.
post #196 of 663 Old 11-19-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDanny View Post

I believe I will be receiving my 616 today and will, obviously, want to update the thing immediately. It looks by recent activity on this thread that the latest update have done the trick. But just to be clear, I am planning on doing the USB update.
My question:
should I used the 10/9 update on the 616 product page found here http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR616&class=Receiver&p=d
or should I used the 11/13 Download Central udpate found here http://www.us.onkyo.com/download/software.cfm
I assume only one of these is necessary. Please clarify and advise if I am incorrect on this. Thanks for the help.

Do the 10/9. The 11/13 is for another model completely. Best thing to do is go to the product description page for your particular model and click on the firmware update near the bottom of the page. If you go to the list on the second link look to the far left of the chart for applicable models.

Steve S.
post #197 of 663 Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey Guys,
Been doing my research while looking for a first receiver. I love all the options on Onkyo's line up, but these issues scare the crap out of me. Problem is comprable options on other receivers seem to run more $ of course. I feel like buying another brand will leave me wondering about not trying the Onkyo. Does anyone think we are around the corner on the issues? If I were to roll the dice, any opinions on 515 vs 616 in terms of reliability? Also, newegg is extending all returns to jan. 31 for the holidays. Any thoughts on Amazon vs new egg for returns/customer service if I did get a lemon
Thanks
Joe
post #198 of 663 Old 11-20-2012, 05:39 AM

i missed that model number listing. Thanks for the pointer. The 616 arrived last night, but I couldn't play with it due to visiting my wife in the hospital (we thought she would get out yesterday). She is fine and will be home tonight, so I can get things set up before our daughter arrives home for Thanksgiving.

Really appreciate your help.
post #199 of 663 Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i missed that model number listing. Thanks for the pointer. The 616 arrived last night, but I couldn't play with it due to visiting my wife in the hospital (we thought she would get out yesterday). She is fine and will be home tonight, so I can get things set up before our daughter arrives home for Thanksgiving.
Really appreciate your help.

You're very welcome. Best wishes to your and yours this holiday!

Steve S.
post #200 of 663 Old 11-20-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemannnnn View Post

Hey Guys,
Been doing my research while looking for a first receiver. I love all the options on Onkyo's line up, but these issues scare the crap out of me. Problem is comprable options on other receivers seem to run more $ of course. I feel like buying another brand will leave me wondering about not trying the Onkyo. Does anyone think we are around the corner on the issues? If I were to roll the dice, any opinions on 515 vs 616 in terms of reliability? Also, newegg is extending all returns to jan. 31 for the holidays. Any thoughts on Amazon vs new egg for returns/customer service if I did get a lemon
Thanks
Joe

I was in pretty much the same boat--nothing with the same feature set at anywhere within 200 of the price, but niggling concerns about glitches. Common sense told me that the extra features like video processing were things I wouldn't really need, but in the past giving up features has bitten me in the behind when my expensive new box wouldn't process lossless audio formats or pass 3D signals.

For me it boiled down to a choice between older tech with proven reliability vs newer tech with the potential for teething problems, just as it always has (been buying new receivers since the late 90s). In the past I've always erred on the side of caution and found my new stuff obsoleted fairly quickly. This time I decided to go for future-proofing over caution hoping that any problems will be taken care of before the two year warranty ran out.

I've only had my 616 about a week and after struggling with the USB update and getting everything set up I've been very happy with it so far. The sound quality is the best I've heard from my speakers and the features I am using (I don't use a phone to control it, nor have I done much with the streaming apps) work quite well. The video processor has visiblly improved the pq from DirecTV so has turned out to be worthwhile.

As for reliability differences between the 515 and 616 it would appear that the main differences between them is in the amp section rather than the processing and such that is affected by firmware issues. I'm under the impression that the 616 is more powerful and the price difference wasn't that great when I purchased so I went with the 616 over the 515, even though the 515 would probably have been adequate.

If I have a problem that requires sending it in for service during the 2 year warranty I still have the old receiver (actually 3 of them now) to fall back on while I'm without it. My experience with Onkyo support (had to get thier help to do the firmware update via USB) has been stellar so I'm confident that any future support needs will be take care of. Since many of Onkyo's past problems seem to have been heat related I'm making sure my box has lots of airspace around it.

Steve S.
post #201 of 663 Old 11-20-2012, 01:11 PM

Crutchfield advisers told me today that the October firmware release (10/9/12) corrected most of the reliability and functional issues on the NR 616.
Can some of you 616 owners with this latest version of firmware confirm that statement? What, if any, problems remain with the 616 receivers AFTER the installation of the 10/9/12 firmware on your units? This receiver appears perfect for my needs, but I want to make sure I am not purchasing a boatload of still un-corrected problems. Many thanks for your comments/responses.
post #202 of 663 Old 11-20-2012, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

I was in pretty much the same boat--nothing with the same feature set at anywhere within 200 of the price, but niggling concerns about glitches. Common sense told me that the extra features like video processing were things I wouldn't really need, but in the past giving up features has bitten me in the behind when my expensive new box wouldn't process lossless audio formats or pass 3D signals.
For me it boiled down to a choice between older tech with proven reliability vs newer tech with the potential for teething problems, just as it always has (been buying new receivers since the late 90s). In the past I've always erred on the side of caution and found my new stuff obsoleted fairly quickly. This time I decided to go for future-proofing over caution hoping that any problems will be taken care of before the two year warranty ran out.
I've only had my 616 about a week and after struggling with the USB update and getting everything set up I've been very happy with it so far. The sound quality is the best I've heard from my speakers and the features I am using (I don't use a phone to control it, nor have I done much with the streaming apps) work quite well. The video processor has visiblly improved the pq from DirecTV so has turned out to be worthwhile.
As for reliability differences between the 515 and 616 it would appear that the main differences between them is in the amp section rather than the processing and such that is affected by firmware issues. I'm under the impression that the 616 is more powerful and the price difference wasn't that great when I purchased so I went with the 616 over the 515, even though the 515 would probably have been adequate.
If I have a problem that requires sending it in for service during the 2 year warranty I still have the old receiver (actually 3 of them now) to fall back on while I'm without it. My experience with Onkyo support (had to get thier help to do the firmware update via USB) has been stellar so I'm confident that any future support needs will be take care of. Since many of Onkyo's past problems seem to have been heat related I'm making sure my box has lots of airspace around it.

Thanks for you input. I've continued to look around today. Amazon jacked their price on the 616 from 339 to 399 over night, and newegg went to 699 over night. So that may be a sign. The 515 has remained at 329. Video processing is not something I have researched much. Most of my viewing is directv hd and bluray. Will the video processing/upscaling be noticeable/worthwhile. Denon announced some good savings on black friday for their 1613 model. No video processing, less features, but seems more reliable perhaps, and will come in at $260. Thoughts on that as an alternative?

Thanks
Joe
post #203 of 663 Old 11-20-2012, 11:17 PM

I am going to watch a 3D Blu Ray movie tonight I will let You know if my little problem has gone away, Fingers crossed smile.gif, I still Don't know if the display should read DTS, OR DTS HD if the movie is in DTS HD???.

Best Regards

Robert.
post #204 of 663 Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 AM

A follow up question to my initial inquiry about updating my 616 with the 10/9 USB update. When I downloaded the file, there were several "loose" files (ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of1 ... .of3 ... .of3) dated June 14, 2012 AND another separate folder that had several more files (ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of1 ... .of2 ... .of3 ... .of4) dated Sept 24, 2012. Will the update process all these files, or do I have to separate them?

While this may sound like a stupid question, I am asking, because somewhere along the line in my reading about update these Onkyo's, I ran across something that suggested the files should be on the USB without being enclosed in a folder.

I hope my question is making sense. I am hoping I can get my entertainment center modification (for the central speaker) finished, my wiring done, and my 616 updated before my daughter arrives home from college late tonight.
post #205 of 663 Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemannnnn View Post

Thanks for you input. I've continued to look around today. Amazon jacked their price on the 616 from 339 to 399 over night, and newegg went to 699 over night. So that may be a sign. The 515 has remained at 329. Video processing is not something I have researched much. Most of my viewing is directv hd and bluray. Will the video processing/upscaling be noticeable/worthwhile. Denon announced some good savings on black friday for their 1613 model. No video processing, less features, but seems more reliable perhaps, and will come in at $260. Thoughts on that as an alternative?
Thanks
Joe

The 1613 was one of the models I was considering along with the Yamaha RXV-473 (the HTR4650 at Costco, actually, for $329, same unit, different marketing stream). I saw that BF deal on the Denon at BB--great price if they don't run out. I've had a couple of Denons in the past along with several Yamahas and both brands proved reliable, especially the Yamahas. I haven't been too fond of the sound quality from low-midrange Denons in the past but my experience with them is not recent enough to necessarily be applicable to current models. Yamahas I've owned sounded quite good. The BF pricing on the Denon wasn't going to happen for me as I'm working BF and can't get in line at BB.

I really like my Onkyo but haven't had it long enough to comment on reliability. I'm not a "fanboy" type and won't try to talk someone into ignoring legitimate concerns about a particular product and buy it just because I like it a lot.

Steve S.
post #206 of 663 Old 11-21-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A follow up question to my initial inquiry about updating my 616 with the 10/9 USB update. When I downloaded the file, there were several "loose" files (ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of1 ... .of3 ... .of3) dated June 14, 2012 AND another separate folder that had several more files (ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of1 ... .of2 ... .of3 ... .of4) dated Sept 24, 2012. Will the update process all these files, or do I have to separate them?
While this may sound like a stupid question, I am asking, because somewhere along the line in my reading about update these Onkyo's, I ran across something that suggested the files should be on the USB without being enclosed in a folder.
I hope my question is making sense. I am hoping I can get my entertainment center modification (for the central speaker) finished, my wiring done, and my 616 updated before my daughter arrives home from college late tonight.

I honestly don't remember how I did it. Call 800-229-1687 (option 3) and they should be able to walk you through it. It's complex and the reps are very helpful in getting it right.

Steve S.
post #207 of 663 Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 PM

I am at work looking at the 616 manual in between appointments, contemplating my hook up tonight to my VIZIO XVT3D474SV. I do not have cable or satellite, but am using an outside antenna for TV reception. How do I connect to the 616 for TV reception and use of my home theater for sound? I am a bit confused because it appears the antenna inputs on the 616 are for radio reception. Is this merely a matter of keeping the antenna hooked to the TV and using it's own tuner for video, then using optical out from the TV to optical in on the 616? Or the RCA outs, or both?

Sorry, newbie here for all things home theater, and it would be nice to know if I need to make a stop at Best Buy or something on the way home from work before it is all shut down for Thanksgiving.
post #208 of 663 Old 11-21-2012, 01:38 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 1432
Correct. AVRs don't have TV tuners installed so the OTA cable will connect directly to the TV. You can then pass the TV audio back to the AVR via the HDMI(ARC) connection or optical from the TV back to the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #209 of 663 Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM

Again, I just have to express my appreciation for the help. Kind of hairy knowing that the world will essentially shut down (at least customer service wise, if not retail). But I did get connected with Vizio and they assured me my TV was ARC compatible through their HDMI 1 port to the OUT MAIN (ARC) on the Onkyo. So it looks like that would be a two-way, returning the audio to the 616 for theater sound.

Thanks again.
post #210 of 663 Old 11-22-2012, 04:47 AM

I just received my replacement TX-NR616B after the first one fried one of the HDMI ports but now I am getting no sound through my PS3... I tried everything suggested online and what similar problems I could find in this thread but it has not helped yet.

I just downloaded the latest firmware onto a USB stick and it is updating now so maybe that might help but any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread - Nr515 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page