How to get a good price - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Okay, so I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Denon AVR-2313ci.

I'm still pretty new here. Over and over again on this forum, I have seen "No price talk!" and comments about how one should call around and you'll get better prices than shopping online, frequently followed by "you have a PM." I'm assuming there's some unspoken rule around here that says we can't or shouldn't talk about actual prices from actual retailers -- just MSRP. I've looked for it a bit and haven't found it (yet), but the evidence is everywhere.

Anyway, like I said, I'm ready to pull the trigger. Amazon has it at MSRP, and I'm a Prime member, so I'd get 2-day shipping at no extra cost. There are literally hundreds of other smaller retailers; what I'm hoping for is some guidance on how to choose which ones to call, and how much better than MSRP can I expect to do on such a new unit? Do receivers suffer from the same "gray market" problem that cameras and some other electronics do? How hard is it to avoid that?

Any other purchasing advice would be greatly appreciated.

Living Room: Denon 2113ci + BIC V1020 + Panasonic BDT220 + AppleTV + uVerse DVR + Panasonic P42S2 plasma
Theater: Denon 2313ci + Klipsch RW12d + Panasonic BDT220 + Mac mini + uVerse wired receiver + Epson 8350 PJ + 100" screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 51
you have PM wink.gif
post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post

you have PM wink.gif

LOL. I knew that would happen!

Just to clarify, based on the content of that PM, I am looking for the new 2313. Independent Airplay to Zone 2 is among my must-haves, and the 2312 (which you mentioned in your PM) can't do it.

Regardless, thanks for the reference; I may give them a call.

Living Room: Denon 2113ci + BIC V1020 + Panasonic BDT220 + AppleTV + uVerse DVR + Panasonic P42S2 plasma
Theater: Denon 2313ci + Klipsch RW12d + Panasonic BDT220 + Mac mini + uVerse wired receiver + Epson 8350 PJ + 100" screen
post #4 of 6 Old 06-12-2012, 12:20 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Take a look at the purchasing section of the Denon Guide linked below ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_50#user_H2

Note that the 2313CI has just recently been released and my not yet be available at all authorized resellers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 6 Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeRobb View Post

Okay, so I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Denon AVR-2313ci.
I'm still pretty new here. Over and over again on this forum, I have seen "No price talk!" and comments about how one should call around and you'll get better prices than shopping online, frequently followed by "you have a PM." I'm assuming there's some unspoken rule around here that says we can't or shouldn't talk about actual prices from actual retailers -- just MSRP. I've looked for it a bit and haven't found it (yet), but the evidence is everywhere.
Anyway, like I said, I'm ready to pull the trigger. Amazon has it at MSRP, and I'm a Prime member, so I'd get 2-day shipping at no extra cost. There are literally hundreds of other smaller retailers; what I'm hoping for is some guidance on how to choose which ones to call, and how much better than MSRP can I expect to do on such a new unit? Do receivers suffer from the same "gray market" problem that cameras and some other electronics do? How hard is it to avoid that?
Any other purchasing advice would be greatly appreciated.

Buying at Crutchfield with Chase Ultimate Rewards and a coupon code will save you a few dollars.

Or through OneCall with a cashback program.

But being a brand spanking new model, discounts will be few.

And I would personally stay away from anyone that is not an Authorized dealer.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up walking into the local Paul's TV, telling them that I could get it from Amazon for MSRP with free shipping and have it at my house in two days, and that was enough for them to drop $50 off the top, which was good enough for me.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page