Proceed AVP2 vs. Anthem AVM 50 with ARC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir
 
zuluwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Proceed AVP2 vs. Anthem AVM 50 with ARC

I currently own an Anthem AVM 50 with Anthem Room Correction (ARC). I have been offered a Proceed AVP2, to use as my processor for the theatre. The Proceed line has been closed down by Harmon, and it is a challenge to find information regarding it's potential as a possible processor.

My first and most obvious issue is that the AVP2 does not have any HDMI capablity, so I would have to send video straight from the source to my projector. After that is the question of which of these two units will best represent the audio from my Blu-ray collection?

I would appreciate any input from either former owners or those who have some information, thank you.

Zulu
zuluwalker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
DMark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I would stick with your current Anthem receiver, if I were you. ARC room correction is definately a worthwhile feature, as well as the HDMI inputs you mentioned. Its probably best to bitstream digitally via HDMI to the receiver from your bluray player, and let the receiver do the surround decoding. Anthem products are known to sound very good, so I don't know what you think you'd gain by switching to an old piece of Proceed gear...?

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
DMark1 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rnrgagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I think the gains you from using ARC combined with the convenience of using HDMI, (especially with the hi-rez codecs of Blu Ray) far outweigh any potential sonic benefit of using the Proceed and its' legacy formats.
rnrgagne is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir
 
zuluwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

I would stick with your current Anthem receiver, if I were you. ARC room correction is definately a worthwhile feature, as well as the HDMI inputs you mentioned. Its probably best to bitstream digitally via HDMI to the receiver from your bluray player, and let the receiver do the surround decoding. Anthem products are known to sound very good, so I don't know what you think you'd gain by switching to an old piece of Proceed gear...?

Thanks for tips. I have felt similar to the logic you outlined. I do all my audio decoding at the player currently. My goal is simply to use the full benefit of which ever processor I decide on for my final setup, and as such my Anthem offers more and appears to be the popluar choice as well. I believe in ARC, but have never experienced any of the Proceed line before, and as I understand it they have good roots in Mark Levinson.

Thanks again.
zuluwalker is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir
 
zuluwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

I think the gains you from using ARC combined with the convenience of using HDMI, (especially with the hi-rez codecs of Blu Ray) far outweigh any potential sonic benefit of using the Proceed and its' legacy formats.

You make an excellent point when bring up HDMI and the over convenience. I am also happier with the Anthem option in all ways with video, as it allows me to use multiple sources. The strongest draw the Proceed was the chance it could be a superior audio processor, and yet ARC is very sophisticated. And the benefits of ARC are worth the time and money.

I believe I will keep the Anthem as my processor and be satisfied to do so.

Thanks for your input!
zuluwalker is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jayray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 4,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

You make an excellent point when bring up HDMI and the over convenience. I am also happier with the Anthem option in all ways with video, as it allows me to use multiple sources. The strongest draw the Proceed was the chance it could be a superior audio processor, and yet ARC is very sophisticated. And the benefits of ARC are worth the time and money.
I believe I will keep the Anthem as my processor and be satisfied to do so.
Thanks for your input!
John

Good decision. The AVM50 with ARC is hard to beat. Get that other idea out of your head now;)
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
jayray is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

I believe in ARC, but have never experienced any of the Proceed line before, and as I understand it they have good roots in Mark Levinson.
Every room is an equalizer, adding peaks and dips to the sound that were never in the original signal. At least your Anthem receiver gives you the tools (room correction) to address the problem. The Proceed has no such capability. If you want to hear less of the room and more of what was on the disc, the choice is obvious.

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
post #8 of 9 Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rnrgagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

I do all my audio decoding at the player currently.

With Blu Ray's hi-rez codecs you should really try bitstreaming direct to the Anthem. You'll avoid an extra D/A & A/D conversion required to use the ARC, and with those codecs being lossless there's nothing to fear from the HDMI transfer.
rnrgagne is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 06-13-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 18,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

You'll avoid an extra D/A & A/D conversion required to use the ARC, and with those codecs being lossless there's nothing to fear from the HDMI transfer.
Is the OP using analogue connections or decoding in the player and transmitting as PCM via HDMI?

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off