Receiver Suggestions For Pair Of MartinLogan Motion10 Floorstanding (4ohms) ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, this is my first post and I am really hoping someone out there can help me out with this. Here's the story...

I purchased a pair of Martin Logan Motion 10 floorstanding speakers along with a Pioneer vsx-821 receiver. Within a week I burn out something in the front left channel and had to send out for repair through geek squad at best buy. The tech told me that 4ohms speakers can cause problems, but im only running two speakers at low-medium volume so I find this to be a little ridiculous. I'm now thinking about exchanging the vsx-821 for an elite vsx-30 or even more likely the elite vsx-42...

Anyone have any ideas on the differences between the vsx30 and vsx42??? and if going with one of these receivers instead of the vsx821 would solve this issue or at least be better suited for the type of speakers I have ??? Elite vs non elite worth it in this case???

Again:

Pair of Martin logan motion 10 towers

W/ vsx-821 vs elite vsx-30 vs elite vsx-42

Thank you guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The Pioneer vsx-821 is no powerhouse, but it shouldn't burn out. You should check the speakes with a ohm meter. Check to see if the two motion 10s read the same, at the speakers with and without the speaker wire. It shouldn't be less than 3 ohms at worse, higher is easier on the amp. Look into adding a powerd sub, this will take most of the load off the Pioneer vsx-821, and the end results should sound even better...
post #3 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks joe, I'm going to look into a sub than I guess....Although its a bummer because it's a small room and I didn't want to use one. Do you think that upgrading to either of those elite receivers would help a bit too?
post #4 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLogan10 View Post

Thanks joe, I'm going to look into a sub than I guess....Although its a bummer because it's a small room and I didn't want to use one. Do you think that upgrading to either of those elite receivers would help a bit too?

Those pioneers you listed are not 4 ohm rated, so than no they wouldn't be any better with 4 ohm speakers. You really shouldn't of had an amp failure with the 821, it may of sounded clipped or compressed when pushed, but not fail.. The same priced onkyo avrs have beefer amps in there price class, you should look into those units. All onkyo avrs are rated down to 3 ohms!!
post #5 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

I was playing my two motion10s at medium-low volume and the left front channel just got toasty without warning, the unit shutdown and wouldn't turn back on for more than 3 secs before shutting off again. I had the speakers set to large because I dont have a sub so I'm gonna try small and keep the volume low , use banana plugs and hope for the best. I'd like to keep them at large though it sounds so good. Thanks for the reply.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLogan10 View Post

I was playing my two motion10s at medium-low volume and the left front channel just got toasty without warning, the unit shutdown and wouldn't turn back on for more than 3 secs before shutting off again. I had the speakers set to large because I dont have a sub so I'm gonna try small and keep the volume low , use banana plugs and hope for the best. I'd like to keep them at large though it sounds so good. Thanks for the reply.

At this point there is a risk factor (fire) the avr is sending you a signal that something is amiss...
post #7 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Martinlogan Motion 10 Floorstanding Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page