0dB on receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-12-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have a Denon 1712, and Audyssey automatically calibrates where 0dB is reference. My understanding is that 0dB, or reference, is the level where the movie producers want you to listen at. I cranked it up to 0dB for a movie to try it out, and it is *ridiculously* loud.

Is my understanding of reference wrong? 0dB is so loud its uncomfortable. -30dB is comfortable and sometimes I turn it to -25dB if I want it loud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-12-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Your understanding is correct, and many users feel that reference level in a typical domestic listening room is too loud.

Personally, I usually run between -20 and -15 which to me is subjectively loud but not stupid loud.

Brian
post #3 of 3 Old 06-12-2012, 04:04 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Reference level (0db) is the level the audio track is mixed at and is where you'd listen at in a movie theater, while in a typical home environment the average volume is likely closer to -30db to -20db which is why you want to have Audyssey Dyn EQ set to ON at all times as it will boost the bass/surround audio at volume levels below reference 0db and provide an experience closer to what the mixer intended. smile.gif

For more info on your 1712, join us in the Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig (Denon FAQ starts at post #3) as well as review the Audyssey 101 guide linked in my sig for more helpful information.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page