Denon 4311 update problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

This is my first time here, and wonder if someone might be able to assist. I bought an AVR 4311 yesterday but the display is constantly giving me a message that it's waiting for upgrade. I decided to connect the receiver to the internet; all was ok. It was updating nicely, counting back from 6 mins, 5 mins, then all was cancelled and this process has now gone into a continuous loop. It gets to 4 mins then aborts. I did not interrupt the connection in any way at the time so wondering what is causing this.
Any ideas would be very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 12:58 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Welcome to AVS Forum.

There are two types of firmware information notices, an "update" (fixes) and an "upgrade" (new feature), the latter referring to the Airplay "upgrade" which can be done after you're able to successfully "update" the firmware. If you don't have a "wired" connection from the AVR to your router, ideally that is what's best for firmware updates/upgrades. Regardless, as noted in the Owner's manual p. 106, either press/hold the ON/STANDBY button for more than 5 seconds, or unplug the AVR for a few minutes at which point the AVR will attempt the update again.

Also note there is a dedicated Denon AVR-4311CI Owner's thread ---> http://www.avsforum.com/t/1274153/the-official-denon-avr-4311ci-avr-a100-thread-no-price-talk/0_50

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for your reply; much appreciated. I did try your suggestion but it is caught in this endless loop, it would seem. I do have the connection via ethernet cable; it acknowledges the update, counts back from 6 mins, then stops at 4 mins and goes back into the loop, over and over...
I get the message: Please wait, update retry, then Ether IMG, Updating 6 mins... back to the loop each time. It won't go down beyond the 4 mins...
Very strange...
post #4 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 01:30 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Let it continue and eventually it should complete successfully. Once it does, you can register for the Airplay Update on Denon's website ---> http://usa.denon.com/us/Airplayus/index.html

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 13 Old 09-16-2012, 12:16 PM

Hi,
Did you eventually get this resolved? If so, how? I have the exact same problem. I have turned off update and upgrade notifications ( quickly when it cycles) to no avail as the loop continues. Unplugging does not do anything either although I will try several minutes vs seconds next time. Should really have a "try again?" prompt or something. Has been looping for a few hours now, very frustrating. Anyone else find a solution? AVR unusable at this point.
Thanks,
Ron
post #6 of 13 Old 09-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Hi,
Like Huey's, the registration for AirPlay upgrad was done first, then install/upgrade process is started, then stuck in loop. Another thread here suggested the "turn off notification" which has been done with no effect.
Thanks,
Ron
post #7 of 13 Old 09-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottenronnie View Post

Hi,
Did you eventually get this resolved? If so, how? I have the exact same problem. I have turned off update and upgrade notifications ( quickly when it cycles) to no avail as the loop continues. Unplugging does not do anything either although I will try several minutes vs seconds next time. Should really have a "try again?" prompt or something. Has been looping for a few hours now, very frustrating. Anyone else find a solution? AVR unusable at this point.
Thanks,
Ron

¿Did you try a fabric reset?
post #8 of 13 Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 PM

Not sure what you mean by fabric reset?
Thanks
post #9 of 13 Old 09-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
he means factory reset, was probly using a smart phone and it auto corrected his spelling , incorrectly i might add. Look in you manual on how to do a factory reset.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-16-2012, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

he means factory reset, was probly using a smart phone and it auto corrected his spelling , incorrectly i might add. Look in you manual on how to do a factory reset.

Thats what I meant, the problem is not my phone, its my english because I am from Spain.biggrin.gif

Try the factory reset, see if you can get it to go back before you where experiencing the problem.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-16-2012, 01:21 PM

Thanks guys, I have tried the processor reset to no avail. I have now read that ther might be way to reset the internal network card, I will try that next . Have to wait agin until safe to do so, right after reboot. Any other thoughtsZ.

Thanks
post #12 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 10:30 AM

For those interested, holding the up and down arrow and power at the same time resest the network card (I think) and stopped the AVR from the infinite loop so it least now I can use the amp. Not sure where I go from here but traveling for a few days so it will have to wait.
Thanks,
Ron
post #13 of 13 Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 AM

@ Ronnie

Thanks for the network reset information. I was having trouble connecting my 4311 with AirPlay and that did the trick. Typically I would go straight to the owner's manual, but Denon manuals are infuriatingly confusing confused.gif Thanks for your tip!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page